PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a stock for a youth

RUTTIN
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok guys I am a bowhunter, I don't even own a rifle. My wife however does have a rifle, and I have a 12 year old that can hunt this year. The guns stock is to big for him so I purchased a stock for cheap at the gun show from Christensen Arms, and am wondering how I cut the stock to fit him. Is there some way that you can measure him( like draw length for a bow) to see where I need to cut the stock? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Umpqua Hunter
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
There are several good videos on this subject on You Tube if you look up "length of pull".

packer58
04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
That's good advice, I have allways used the method of measuring from the inside of your elbow (arm bent) to the middle joint of your trigger finger. This method will get you very close if not right on the money. Make sure you purchase a recoil pad before you start the proccess because you will need to acount for the thickness of the pad before you cut, if not the stock will be to long by the thickness of the pad.

RUTTIN
04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys, with your help I found what I needed. Thanks again!

Ikeepitcold
04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
The Sims slip on recoil pad could be a good choice. You won't have to be so accurate with the cut.

sjsmallfield
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
The Sims slip on recoil pad could be a good choice. You won't have to be so accurate with the cut.

I 2nd that. I have them on a couple of my rifles.

BossBrott
04-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Simply use a chop saw to cut it to the proper length. Dont throw the piece away after you cut it. When jr grows up you can put it back on.