PDA

View Full Version : Quads / ATV

bigshot
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Anyone hunt with a quad? I have been a die hard Honda guy for about 15 years, but lately my 07, Honda, Foreman, 500cc, has blown up for the second time. So, I'm shopping for a new one. I can't decide if I want to stay with a Honda, or switch to a Yamaha Grizzly, or a Polaris Sportsman 550. I would like to stay with a mid size quad, but if the big bores are better, then which one do you recommend and why. I would like a quad that I can depend on...

I hunt all the western states and California's deserts. I also hunt/ride late and early seasons just about year round.

kcaves
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I have a Polaris sportsman 850, and I love it. I hauled out a lot of big Elk with it this year with it. Love the power of it too. I would recommend upgrading, you are messin with old technology with honda's. They are just now bragging about having independent suspension and everyone else has had that for more than a decade. I would upgrade personally

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zr5ghq

bigshot
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I've been thinking hard about the Polaris Sportsman 850, but not familier with them. The salesman at the dealership said they are the #1 selling quad right now. I did not know if that was a sales gimmic or if they were selling cause they are great! I asked if he owned one, he replied, "no," and said he did not hunt.. All my buddies and have always owned either Yamaha's and Honda's and they have done great, except for my last quad (Lemon). I agree that Honda has gotten left behind in the engineering department.

bigshot
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Have you heard of, or have any negatives regarding the Polaris 850

Musket Man
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
what happened to the honda? they usually run forever. my old 300 is still going bent frame and all!! guys i know with yamaha's are happy with them. I know the full independant suspension handles alot better then the old ones did. I would look at artic cat too if i was looking for new one. Never rode 1 but they look wide and stable with good clearance.

bigshot
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
My poor Honda......well lets see where should I start. First off, let me say I luv Hondas!! my first was a used 1987 350 Foreman. Had that one for ten years before I sold it for a 2002, 350, Rancher. Then sold that one for the 07, Honda 500 Foreman. I never had a problem with my Honda's until then. Before all I had to do was just change oil, clean filter, and adjust the valves. When I bought the new 07, 500, Foreman, the first year I owned it the electric shifter (ES) broke and had to be replaced. It just stopped shifting gears during the hunting season. The shifter broke again a year later right before my Colorado trip, arge!

Then the gasket where the head meets the case blew! Found out all the case head screw threads stripped, so had to have them re-threaded with "Time serts." Recently, I learned the heat sensor broke and caused the head gasket to blow again! My mechanic advised, I buy a new quad or find a replacement engine. I still can't believe all the problems I've had with it.

Musket Man
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Damn. sounds like just bad luck on that one. Hondas usually run forever!

CrimsonArrow
04-28-2012, 05:56 AM
My uncle and myself have both been riding newer Hondas for years, and have had multiple problems with both. His had the electronic shifter go out, then the tranny finally blew-up. My manual shift linkage broke, and the engine has required tuning twice. That being said, my 86 Big Red just went in the junk heap a couple years ago, and I love Hondas. Most problems with Hondas have been since they started using the electronic shift. Finally, unless you're doing a lot of trail riding with your quad, I wouldn't be too concerned if a particular model didn't have independent rear suspension. They're not as stable as a solid axle under a heavy load.

Colorado Cowboy
04-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I have 2 quads, both Polaris. I bought a new Sportsman 500 in 2004. All I have ever done to it is change the oil & filter. I use it almost every day here on my place. It is a workhorse. Several years ago I helped pack out my neighbors cow elk with it. We used the winch to winch it up in a big pine tree, tied it off and then I backed under it and we loaded it (whole, just gutted) on the back rack. He sat on the front rack and away we went with the suspension bottomed out. Made it about 1/4 mile to the road and then back to the truck. Its one great machine!

I bought my wife an older 2 stroke Sportsman 400. It runs great too, just a little louder. She says it "stinks". We don't hunt with either of our quads, just use them to get where we hunt and walk from there. We also do a lot of riding in the summer. I recommend Polaris highly. The only advice I have is ...don't buy something bigger than you really need. I agonized over mine when I bought the 500. Should I get the 700 or the 500? One of my friends bought a Honda 750 and we do a lot of riding together. Yes it's faster, but it also uses almost twice as much fuel as I do. If I can carry out a whole elk and 2 hunters, why do I need anything bigger!

Ikeepitcold
04-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450. My hunting partner has a Grizz 660. The Kodiak will out perform the Grizz. The real only difference is the Grizz has more power but we have never been able to go or do anything with the Grizz that I couldn't do with the Kodiak.

Montana
04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Polaris. It is all I have ever owned and they are rock solid machines. Oh by the way i am selling my 500 :) Haha... Too bad you are in Cali :)

Seriously amazing bikes.

kcaves
04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Only problem I've had with my 850 is a seal in the waterpump went bad, and I have over 2500 miles on it

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pg2eu2

IdahoVandal
04-28-2012, 05:47 PM
I have purchased 3 Polaris 500's for work last fall and all I can say is they are worth more as a paper weight than an atv. In the shop more than in the field (broken belts, bad cv joints, won't idle, fuel injection problems). Polaris quality has gone way down hill lately. We used to have awesome luck with Polaris but the new ones just don't hold up. Find a good used older polaris or buy anything else. just my .02

Musket Man
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Technology seems to be making more things worse and less reliable all the time. New Honda and Polaris having problems when the old ones were pretty much bullet proof. Ford has had lots of diesel engine problems since they dropped the old 7.3L powerstroke and Dodge has had problems with the 6.7L when the old 5.9L ran forever. Also the EFI 4 wheelers I have been around dont have a rope or kick start. Seems like in trying to make everything 'better' alot of reliability has been lost along the way.....

kcaves
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I have purchased 3 Polaris 500's for work last fall and all I can say is they are worth more as a paper weight than an atv. In the shop more than in the field (broken belts, bad cv joints, won't idle, fuel injection problems). Polaris quality has gone way down hill lately. We used to have awesome luck with Polaris but the new ones just don't hold up. Find a good used older polaris or buy anything else. just my .02

Like I said 2500 miles, replaced the belt once because of piece of mind, if they are taken care of they last a long time, cv joints and belts break due to operator error. If one breaks on me, I'll admit to it

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wnmb05

xtreme
04-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I would look closely at Can-Am. I have probably sold and delivered as many Hondas as anyone in America and they still donot have the suspension and handling to compete with Can-Am. I have two Honda 500s one a Rubicon and the other a Foreman. The Rubicon is the best utility atv I have used, the Foreman is very dependable and always liking in ride and handling, and ability. I also have a purpose bought Tandem seat Bombardier, great brakes handling and suspension. It will climb steeper hills safely than anything else I have tried. I have retrieved a bull elk from a canyon that no other atv has been in much less dragged a bull elk from.
Same thing in the side by sides, clear winner is Can-Am. I am using a Rino, but its not my first choice.
I use the two wheel Honda Fatcats of the 1986 and 1987 vintage with great success when the trail narrows.

Drelk
04-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm a Polaris guy myself. Have had no problems with the sportsman 500. Ranger xp 700 is pretty good machine. I have heard some amazing things about can-am. My next machine might be a can am

jenbickel
04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a Kawasaki brute force 750 and I love it. It is bullet proof. I would highly recommend Yamaha though. I work at a dealership and so I get to see all the ups and downs of all the brands. Yamaha to me is definitely the best. Can am are pretty amazing too.

bigshot
04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the great replies, seems like you can get a lemon in almost any make of quad. I decided to first look into a used engine and see what it will cost to fix my quad one more time. If its not too expensive I'm tempted to fix it and use it as a backup or loaner quad. I just saw a Honda Rubicon my buddy purchased used, and like their side mounted gear shifter. Looks like you can shift it to a five speed (ES), or an automatic with Hi, low, and super low settings. My buddies is a 2005, 500cc, and only paid $2,600. It had 300 miles and really likes it so far. It rides like a tank.

Anyone know where I can buy a used or rebuilt Honda motor.

Howahunter
04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
GO Suzuki!

Elkoholic307
04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Check out Can-Am.

Pronghorn73
04-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Surprised to see so many Polaris guys here! Polaris is all I've ever owned...95' 300 2-stroke, 94' 400 2-stroke, 06' 450 Sportsman, and 08' 500 Sportsman. Never had to take any of them to the shop! Never minded the Honda's I have rode either. Before the 4 wheelers, we always had Honda 3-wheelers growing up and they were bullet proof.

packer58
04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm a Honda guy myself, 03 Rubicon 500. Never a problem and over 2,000 miles. I agree that Honda is slow to make changes /upgrades to thier machines, but it's hard to argue with thier legendary reliability. One of the many things i love about my rig is the transmission and the ability to navigate extreeme down hill grades with little to no braking. IMO, the Honda transmission with it's multitude of gear selections is the best in the industry.

bigshot
04-29-2012, 11:20 PM
GO Suzuki!

Which Suzuki do you have and what do you like about.

bigshot
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Check out Can-Am.
I believe Can-Am was the most expensive, are they worth the extra money.

jenbickel
04-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I will also second the Suzuki! Their price tag is a little better and they are great machines!

xtreme
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, the Can-Am is worth the extra cost for hunting and trail riding, IMO. packer58 is spot on with the Honda Rubicon 500 but I only use my Rubicon for work where stiff springs and shocks are a plus. Mine is an 02 with one overhaul in 12 years of daily ranch use. My Foreman is two wheel drive and very dependable but only knows to plow straight ahead and ride rough and a bit unstable. I bought all my atvs used except the Foreman. Bought all the Can-Am snowmobiles used also, rentals at that. Two were from West Yellowstone before the enviros ruined it.
I have strong ties to Honda, having raced an XR 600 in the Baja 1000 with a lot of help from Honda. Honda of Russellville, in 1989 was the number one dealership of the nation. Get the Sawarovski of atvs, get the Can-Am for hunting.

Howahunter
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Which Suzuki do you have and what do you like about.

I have a 2006 suzuki eiger now king quad. Thing is bullet proof. I love how simple it is. When you look at the underside of mine versus other brands there seems to be less to break/bend worry about. For a 400 it will outclimb and outrun my father in laws polaris 500 HO.
I have hauled out a full elk with one passenger with no problems. It is a comfortable ride but I am still young (29). I have not had one problem while performing regular oil changes/maintenance.

bigshot
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Well, I went out to the dealership today and purchased a new 2012, Yamaha, 550, Griz, with power steering, EFI, independent suspension front and rear, and a 5.5 year, Bumper to Bumper Warranty!! I had them look at my quad and they offered me $2,000. cash for her, which I used for a down payment. I cleaned her up good and purty, don't think they noticed oil leaking from the head gasket...hehehe.

packer58
04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Well bigshot.............lets see some pics of your new toy.

bigshot
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Ok, I'll get them on here in the morning, kinda dark out there right now, plus already had a couple cold ones to celebrate. :D

bigshot
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Here is the newest member of my huntin family....my first Yamaha.

I almost bought a Can-am, but what turned me off was the high service cost. Guess they have to be hooked up to a computer each time they are serviced to update their program. Thanks for all your inputs.

packer58
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Very nice.....you'll have a ball i'm sure. It's almost time to get those nice new racks bloody!!!

Drhorsepower
05-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Aw. Very nice, that trailer looks like it was made for that thing! Good choice!

IdahoVandal
05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
awesome. I hope it treats you well with plenty of fun times.

bigshot
05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys, I can't wait to take it out and break her in. Already checking into a set of Bighorn radial tires for her too.

Muleys 24/7
12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey Bigshot, How did your quad do in colorado this year? I just sold my dirt bike today..........looks like I'll be in the market for a hunting quad soon!:cool:

Doe Nob
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
My father borrowed a Honda Rincon and we took it around 16E in NM on some nasty roads and it did great this last fall.

I'm getting along with a 2002 Yamaha big bear - standard transmission, but the 4 wd still works and we use it mainly to get in and out of the field for duck hunting.

NM_Archer
12-04-2012, 07:46 AM
You will be happy with the yamaha! My parents have a kodiak 450 and a grizzly 350 and havent had any problems at all and they use them a lot in the summer. I went with a 2006 Honda Rubicon 500. I love it for the most part. The thing with honda is you give up a lot in suspension compared to the rest, but make up for it in durability and tow capasity. I also own a 2012 Polaris Razor s. I have had nothing but problems with it since I bought it. I have 400 miles on it and its been in shop 3 times. I heard nothing but how good polaris had gotten so i took a chance and got burned. Not a polaris fan at all even though I do know a lot of guys that have had great luck with them. Guess ATVs are like anything else...they are all good in there own way just comes down to preference for the individual. Enjoy your new ride!

Colorado Cowboy
12-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I have 2 Polaris's, a 2004 500 Sportsman and a 1996 400 Sportsman. My 500 I bought new and i use it every day here on my place. bought the 400 used for my wife. Both are workhorses and have had no problem with them. My 500 had over 1500 miles on it and all I've ever done is change oil. The one thing I suggest is make sure the 4wd can be disengaged. One of my partners has a Honda that is in 4wd all the time and he uses twice as much fuel as my Polaris. There is definately a difference in the riding comfort between my 2, as the 400 does not have independent rear suspension and my wife complains all the time. So.....a new 550 Polaris Sportsman is on tap this spring for her. Got to keep her happy as we ride a lot in the summer on some pretty rough trails.

Muleys 24/7
12-04-2012, 03:04 PM
As I've been researching atv's more and more, on a few atv forums, I've heard alot about polaris's being in the shop? CC, I think you got a good one. I was going to look at polaris, but all the shop commets are steering me away? That would be the worst thing ever........taking a brand new $8000+ atv into the shop for repairs.

Colorado Cowboy
12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
One of the reasons I went with Polaris is that I volunteer in our local state park (Lone Mesa). I spend several days a week in the summer there and do a lot of work on fences, brush clearing and doing what is called Arbor Glyph research. The park was a 15,000+ acre cattle ranch that the state bought. (it is open to limited elk & deer hunting) The state has Polaris machinary exclusively. They get the crap beat out of them and seem to last pretty good. The one thing you have to watch out for is remembering to down shift to a lower gear instead of lugging them down, as the drive belt burns up. Overall I'm happy with mine.

Muleys 24/7
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm SURE they're all not bad, they just got more negative comments than others.

Muleys 24/7
12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey CC, the more I've been looking into the sportsmans, I think that's what I'm going to go with now. I like how the 4 wheel drive works vs the other makes. I think I can do with out the EPS and save about a grand. The 550 is probly what I'm leaning towards.I thought the 550 was the XP but it dosn't say that. Trying to figure out why the 550 coasts more than the 800?

Muleys 24/7
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
The one thing you have to watch out for is remembering to down shift to a lower gear instead of lugging them down, as the drive belt burns up. Overall I'm happy with mine.

What do you mean down shift when the tranny is auto? the new ones have a really good "down hill desent"

Colorado Cowboy
12-10-2012, 07:09 AM
What do you mean down shift when the tranny is auto? the new ones have a really good "down hill desent"

My Polaris has a low and drive. It also has the automatic downhill and "slow down" braking feature. What I was talking about is when the unit is loaded up (like with me and an elk on the back!) and you have to climb a hill, downshift to Low so you don't start lugging everything and buildup a bunch of heat.

HuntWYODon
12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Hey CC, the more I've been looking into the sportsmans, I think that's what I'm going to go with now. I like how the 4 wheel drive works vs the other makes. I think I can do with out the EPS and save about a grand. The 550 is probly what I'm leaning towards.I thought the 550 was the XP but it dosn't say that. Trying to figure out why the 550 coasts more than the 800?

You already know how I feel. Go Polaris. I beat the hell out of my 2004 Sportsman 700 for 5 yrs. in 4 states and never a problem. A friend bought the exact same and went everywhere with me and his never had a problem either. I rolled it down a mtn. in Wy. 2008 and totaled it. I bought a 2009 Polaris Razor side by side. Not a problem with it yet either. They will all do the same thing. I wouldn't factor cost into the reason I would buy one. It's how they are made an last. I think Can Am's are great too and would be me 1st or
2nd choice as far as quads, not side by sides. I've driven a friend's Can Am 800 Outlander. I liked it a lot.

Colorado Cowboy
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Don't know about the price of the 800 as I've only really looked at the 550 for my wife. She sure don't need anything any bigger. The 550 has power steering, that the reason she wants it.

xtreme
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
This subject has gone on long enough that Artic Cat may have caught and passed every other brand.

Muleys 24/7
12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
This subject has gone on long enough that Artic Cat may have caught and passed every other brand.

I'm already having a hard enough time trying to choose between yamaha and polaris! I do like the artic cats too. I take it you have one, which one?

xtreme
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I do not have an Artic Cat, one of my friends is a dealer and I look at them when in his store. Artic Cat is serious.

Colorado Cowboy
12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Only negative I've heard is that they are hard to work on.

HuntWYODon
12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Do Artic Cat's have Suzuki engines ?

bigshot
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Do Artic Cat's have Suzuki engines ?
Yea Artic Cats are a souped up Suzuki. (Hey Don thanks for the info on San Diego pigs). I've had my Yamaha Griz for a season now and really like it so far. I bought the 550CC and it has plenty of power. Thinking about buying a Razer or a second quad for next year.

Muleys 24/7
03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
A few weeks ago , I went out with my new polaris sportsman 550 exploring some new hunting country. Thought I would share a couple pics.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/IMG_0163_zpsd1bdf295.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/IMG_0165_zpsa286bdf5.jpg

Drhorsepower
03-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Nice muleys, what state is that in?

Muleys 24/7
03-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Nice muleys, what state is that in?

Thanks, its in Southern California.

Montana
03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
I miss mine... I switched over to a Ranger and wish I hadn't. The kids love it, so like many other things, I'll sacrifice for them:) As soon as they are older, which by just saying this I realize its going to be a LONG time, I'll go back to a quad.

Drhorsepower
03-31-2013, 10:13 PM
I miss mine... I switched over to a Ranger and wish I hadn't. The kids love it, so like many other things, I'll sacrifice for them:) As soon as they are older, which by just saying this I realize its going to be a LONG time, I'll go back to a quad.

I live my ranger. Why do you not like yours?

shootbrownelk
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
A couple of friends have Polaris 500HO's and have had nothing but problems with them. I bought a used Yamaha grizzly 660 and rode it for 5 years without a problem. I just traded it off to my son-in-law and bought a 2008 Rhino SE, and same as the grizzly...no problems. Yamaha is known for reliability.

jay
04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a 2005 Honda Rincon and absolutely love it! I have not done anything to it but a battery and a set of tires. I think I have close to 6000 miles on it. It has by far been the best bike i've owned. The only down fall is the tranny, a little high geared but the motor makes up for it in power. Comfortable, easy steering in and out of 4x4 without power steering, good ground clearance but not top heavy like the grizzlys. I have riden a couple of others and would still prefer mine over the others. I am tempted to look into the arctic cats. They are one of the few that offer a 500 class with independent suspension and fuel injection. We are a Yamaha family which have been good bikes to but i still like the honda more, like i said it has a couple downfalls but overall and all around its great!

WYrider
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Took me a while to find this thread. I'm glad to see so many of us own or use atv's during hunting. I hate the hole People who ride ATV's are lazy and no good. I had a run in with (horse people) this hunting season that shows no matter what you ride there will be some bad apples. Don't get to upset about my (horse people) comment. I use horses during hunting season as well.

My wife works for a Polaris dealer here in Wy. So my opinion might be slightly biased. lol. I think I have owned almost every brand out there. I now have gotten rid of my quads and have a RZR 50" and an arctic cat prowler. Hunting on ATV's was getting a little to cold during late Oct. rifle hunts at 10000 ft.

My prowler is an 08 so it is the carbed version. For the last 3 years I had an 2007 Arctic cat 500 and a 2011 Polaris 500 HO (carb). I also had a suzuki vinson 500 years ago. The biggest thing I did and do not like about the Arctic cat and suzuki 500 (same engine) is that they did not like the transition from 4500 ft where I live to 9000 to 10000 ftt where I hunt. They bog like crazy at high elevation. I have re jetted them to only gain a little. The Polaris and honda's don't seem to be nearly affected by the altitude. My friend has a 2004 honda forman 300 or 350? It seems like it will out perform his vinson and my cat at 90000 ft.

I do have to say though that the arctic at was tuff. It had some 5000 hard miles on it and the previous owner did not take care of it. I put brakes and some cv shafts on it and rode it.

Also, I live in a town that has good Arctic Cat, Can-am, and Polaris dealers. Our Yamaha/Honda dealer is horrible. Our town shows it. Lots of prowlers, Can-am's and Polaris's around. Not many yami's or Honda's.

xtreme
04-17-2013, 10:07 PM
The Honda is already jetted lean for best fuel mileage so it works better at altitude. I have both Can Am and Honda. Rubicon 500 and Foreman 500 in Honda line. Honda Rubicon is a good work atv while the Can Am is the best trail atv of my three.

Ikeepitcold
04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/ikeepitcold/F8513470-13BB-4906-B8C1-71B7652A4E0B-9970-00000B236A15C7AC.jpg

Service rig/hunting rig with the huckle buck tree stand on the roof. Hahhaah

tdub24
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
That's what I'm talking about IKIC, how do you like the tracks? I have heard good and bad things about the tracks, just think they would be awesome in the snow. I been wanting a Polaris Ranger for about a year now, just not affordable quite yet.

Ikeepitcold
04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
That's what I'm talking about IKIC, how do you like the tracks? I have heard good and bad things about the tracks, just think they would be awesome in the snow. I been wanting a Polaris Ranger for about a year now, just not affordable quite yet.

That Unit ain't mine. Saw it the the innerweb. The guy I hunt cats has tracks on his ranger and they are awesome in the snow.

Musket Man
04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I just got done fixing my Honda 300 fourtrax. It got wrecked pretty bad a few years back and bent the frame. My engine and everything else was in good shape so I got a used frame for it. Before I put the new frame in I welded 1/4x2 steel to the lower frame rails to reinforce it and protect it from rocks since my old frame was beat up pretty bad. It came out great and I did the whole thing with used parts for under $500!