PDA

View Full Version : unit 17 elk

jay
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey guys, has anyone hunted unit 17 for bull? Have 2 muzzleloader tags down there in Oct. and am not too familiar with the area. Hunted deer there about 8 years ago so don't remember much. Any info will help, thanks!

dhershberger
05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Great unit! I have hunted turkeys in there for years. I have seen a couple 340 bulls and a 370 bull one time! I did my eagle project down there last summer. The main downside about this unit is that wherever there is a road, there are tons of people on ATV's and trucks. If you can get a way from the pressue it is a great unit for deer, I have seen some 170 class bucks in there before.

dhershberger
05-07-2012, 11:31 PM
The key is to get a topo and find a secluded area in the unit that has water. Find the place where no one else will be and thats where the elk are, belive me there are some giant bulls in there!

jay
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
thanks D for the info. What part of the unit do you know?

killallcoyotes
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey jay, I have hunted that unit the past two years. Great unit lots of good bulls. I didn't draw this year but will be buying a landowner tag. Ive only hunted archery but am looking for a muzzle tag this year. What season 1st or 2nd muzzle tag did you draw? Send me a pm and I will give you some info on that unit.

jay
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
thanks KAC, sent you a pm.

Doe Nob
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/10/04/hunting_elk-hunting_rm_0908_02/

I believe that is a unit 17 bull. State Record, 441".

dhershberger
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
If i was you, I would go high because that is where all the elk are. There are some really rough roads that are great for glassing like the road near lookout peak. There is some great roadless terrain near lookout peak that has some great bulls, you have to hike and burn some bootleather but its worth it! There is also some great country near the fire watch tower as well. If you keep going on that road, it gets rough but there are a few places big enough to pull off so you can get out and hike. 17 can be pretty steep but that is why bulls get really old in there.

jay
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the motivation DN!!! That bull is a pig isn't he...I'll look into those areas DHB, do you know which state rd you take to access these areas you mention? There are a few...

bowhuntrJLG
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Hello all. I am new to the Eastmans forums but have been a subscriber for the last five years. Why it took me so long to get on board hear I am not sure. Really like what I see here.
I really appreciate all the sound words of advice I have read above on elk in 17. My wife also drew the second muzz tag, and knowing little about the area as of yet (much scouting to soon come) I found the above info very helpful. We have hunted archery hunted in 34 and 13 a few times, but are now going to "broaden our horizons" and are very excited about the opportunity to do so here. If anyone else has some words of advice such would be greatly appreciated. Don't think I expect an X on a map. I plan on doing alot of scouting on my own, but any intel on the unit anyone is willing to share would be helpful in narrowing down or directing and refining the scope of my research.
Thanks

jay
11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Well guys we were down in the high desert hunting muzzleloader bulls exactly a month ago. I'm barely catching up on getting the home front ready for winter, doing chores, and honey do's, after hunting over a month pretty much straight thru so heres a few pics of our bulls we put down with "the old smoke pole", one of them pet peave words! The bigger, busted "used to be 6x" is the one I took second morning, great spot and stalk hunt in an old burn. We didn't have much luck as far as rutting was concerned, one or two bugles a day just to barely get a general location. The 5x was the one my bro took on the fourth morning. This one was caught headed back to his bed from the water but didn't quite make it. Lucky for us we had a good friend along that had a little toyota pickup that would get in anywhere, so we were able to get the truck right to them! Overall a great trip for us, but according to many regulars was a slow year for the area so that made our success that much better! Hope you all enjoy!469446904691469246934689

tdub24
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Congrats on two fine bulls, I know it was nice not having to pack both of those out!

4theloveofthehunt
10-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Brand new to this forum! My son and I both have muzzleloader tags for Nov. 15-19 in unit 17. Any help you can give me on good areas to hunt this time of yr would be great. We are first year residents in NM so this is our first hunt in this great State. We have been Down there once already fo three days and got a good lay of the land now just trying to zero in on the best area to hunt. I will be going on two more scouting trips before our hunt starts so hopefully I can lock in on some nice Bulls. Would it be wise to hunt in the area of road 220 or do we need to be further south in the unit by Apache Kid Peak? Thanks for your help in advance.

Lab
10-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Awesome unit. My friend killed a 360 there this year first archery