PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Partner

Nebraska Outlander
05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Few weeks ago I went on a hunt/scouting trip up north with a friend from church. We had a great time scouting and trying to find turkeys however I am not sure I would like to go with him again. Just don't feel he is a good fit for me.

My question is for you guys who have life long hunting partners how did you get there?? I have been thinking about a hunting partner application, jk, but seriously its hard to find a partner that works well with your style. I had a hunting partner that taught me a lot we hunted a lot and things were great. Only problem was he had a short temper and I couldn't deal with that getting to old for that kind of stuff.

Either way figured I would try and start a thread where people could help us who are looking for a partner find the right one. :)

Nebraska Outlander

Colorado Cowboy
05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I too have been searching for a hunting partner. I hunted for 25 years with the same friend, but his wife passed away and he moved to be nearer his son. My son is an owner/operator of a long haul trucking business and is on the road all the time. Most of the retirees in all my shooting clubs and activitees arn't in good enough condition or have limited funds. I do hunt several times a year with a friend from California who is retired, but he lives too far away to much more than we do now.

I went solo on a guded elk hunt last year and it was fun, but would have been better with someone I knew and had been hunting with before. I do most of my waterfowl hunting solo now too. My elk and deer hunts will be local solo trips this fall. Will be going to Wyoming for Antelope this fall with my friend from California in late September. I am still looking for a hunting partner and have a couple of prospects locally.

As you get older, it is definately more of a problem as lots of friends just can't do the physical part of it.

Ikeepitcold
05-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I have been fortunate enough to have 2 great pals that I hunt with. One of them I've been friends with since high school and the other I've known for 20 years. I think a hunting partner is your best friend. Mine are. One of them more then the other. I think that to find a good hunting partner would be like finding a new best friend and that to me is a big deal and hard to find. I don't care for solo hunts anymore and the hunt is not as enjoyable without a friend to take to about the hunt and I think it's safer. I think you on the rite track in finding a new partner. Church is always a great place. Work could be another, Post a add on Craigslist in your area! JK, heck you never know maybe this post will turn someone up for you and CC. Good luck, I hope you can find a good pal to hunt with.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
It is a trial and error process.

Kevin Root
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Well most of the hunting partners I've met through work or from school. Over the years they have moved, retired or just don't hunt and fish like they used to. A hunting partner for me is very similar as finding and developing a great friend. Lot's of things seem to need to be met in developing great friends. Compatibility, likes and dislikes being pretty big on the list. Liking, wanting and able to hunt animals and fish places like you want to can be a big challenge in itself. There are guys that I've taken backpack backcounrty hunting that just said that was just to hard on them :D.

My last hunting partner was one I met through my church. We hunted and fished for 16 years together. A little over a year ago he and his family packed up and moved to Washington state. We still have hunted and fished together and we plan to hunt out of state together or at least base camp together on those outings still but sadly due to the distance in our locations, I won't have the opportunity to hunt and fish with him as much as I'd like. At my church, the pastor let me put together a father and son salmon fishing trip, where I met some guys a few years back too. Like you mention Nebraska Outlander they don't really fit wanting to do the same kind of, hunts, fishing trips, or have the same amount of time, etc....

Good hunting partners and good friends as all relationships take time and effort to develop and take work in finding. They don't happen overnight. All I can say is keep trying. I surely will keep trying myself at least. There are good friends and good hunting partners out there :).

Old Hunter
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
You know my story. I hunted with my dad from 1950 to 1982 when he passed away. I've hunted alone ever since. As a still hunter. I'd be hunting alone even if there was 10 guys in camp. Now that I only hunt my unit and come home every night. I don't see a need to look for a partner.

Not much help to the question. Sorry.

6mm Remington
05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
What seems funny in a way is how quickly it becomes after hunting with someone if for only a day or two, we know almost immediately if it could be a long term deal unlike a friendship or relationship where it often takes a lot of time to develop. I have found that I learn very quickly so many things about someone that either work for me or they don't.
You usually can tell almost immediately if that person is someone who will share in things from paying for the next tank of gas, food, labor around camp, or sharing in your success. I had a buddy get a great big non-typical buck in central Montana a few years ago and the guy he hunted with was jealous to the point of being a real PITA and ruining some of the moment for my friend! I really hate when guys won't help around camp, or just jump up when they see something that needs to be done, and are just flat out lazy.

I want someone who can have just as much fun working your butt off, not getting an animal, and freezing your tail off in the process, all while laughing and having a good time. Sometimes at our own expense. Some of my fondest memories of times I have had with friends packing game out of this awful places they have managed to get an animal in, doing it in the middle of the night, and in zero degree weather with 10 inches of snow on the ground.

Two years ago I got to take my son who even then was a pretty darn fine hunter, and a young friend of his hunting who had never had a chance to do that. Andy has always wanted to hunt, but his family just does not. I started shooting with him and my boy Jeff, and Andy was using my wife's 25-06 which was perfect for him. I knew it would work for elk and yet not beat him up shooting it and make him afraid of the rifle. We got lucky and got them both on a ranch just north of Missoula for 4 days elk hunting. As they were both 15, they could shoot either a cow or a legal brow tined bull. The ranch guy said if they saw a monster bull they could shoot it, so they weren't regulated to a cow or young bull. It was something special too in the fact that Andy has Cystic Fibrosis, so his number of hunting seasons might not be too awful many.

We started the first day and hunted and walked the ranch all day. Built a fire at lunch to warm up and have some food and tell a few lies and stories. Started hunting again, and at last light found some elk that came out to feed. My son made a great shot and got his first elk. We started the day before it got light, and after dressing the cow and putting her on my dad's Critter Cart (whole), we wheeled her out to the truck. It was midnight when we got home.

The next afternoon we found some elk again towards evening and had to make a mad dash to get into range for a shot. After several minutes of laying in the snow, Andy finally shot a big old cow. She ran about 40 yards and went down. By the time we dressed her it was well after dark, and again it was about midnight when we got home. Two of the best days I have ever had in the field and I never even pulled a trigger. In fact the best year I have ever had and I never got anything myself. It meant way more for me to help them than it did for me to do it myself. When you find someone like that, you have found a hunting partner, because he is the guy you will be able to get in touch with at the last minute and when he gets off work at 11:30 PM, he will drive 40 miles, walk 5 miles in the snowy cold night to get to you, and then help you pack your elk off the mountain. That is exactly what I did for a friend of mine, and I know he would do the same for me.

Jon Boy
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Pretty much what 6mm said. Ull know with in the first day or two if its a fit or not. It sucked moving away from home where I grew up with my 2 best hunting partners and friends. We grew as hunters together from the time we were 13 or so and it made for a perfect match. Now I do most of my hunting alone. Most of the time thats fine with me but at times I wish I had some one to share it with.

6mm Remington
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Pretty much what 6mm said. Ull know with in the first day or two if its a fit or not. It sucked moving away from home where I grew up with my 2 best hunting partners and friends. We grew as hunters together from the time we were 13 or so and it made for a perfect match. Now I do most of my hunting alone. Most of the time thats fine with me but at times I wish I had some one to share it with.
I agree with you Jon Boy on that one. I really enjoy hunting alone, but I sure would have liked to have shared my mountain goat hunt with someone more than just the 4 days I got to do it with friends. It was so special and I wanted someone else to experience it also.

Kevin Root
05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
You make some good points 6mm Remington. There's a lot that goes into into a "great" hunting partner. For me, a lot what you mention sounds like what makes for a great friend too. I have many "good" friends, "good" hunting partners and casual aquaintances. Finding the "great" ones.... Now there's where the treasure lies. Finding treasure is awesome when you find it and truly a great gift.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-05-2012, 01:42 PM
My hunting partners are a lot like me, so that works in most ways, but it also leads to some conflict (nothing serious of course) sometimes ... we have ended up being more like brothers than friends. It is good knowing that you can depend on those guys.

You really know who your friends are about 4 miles into a backpack pack-out where your partners are hauling your meat on their backs, and they say how awesome the trip was.

Bob
05-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Few weeks ago I went on a hunt/scouting trip up north with a friend from church. We had a great time scouting and trying to find turkeys however I am not sure I would like to go with him again. Just don't feel he is a good fit for me.

My question is for you guys who have life long hunting partners how did you get there?? I have been thinking about a hunting partner application, jk, but seriously its hard to find a partner that works well with your style. I had a hunting partner that taught me a lot we hunted a lot and things were great. Only problem was he had a short temper and I couldn't deal with that getting to old for that kind of stuff.

Either way figured I would try and start a thread where people could help us who are looking for a partner find the right one. :)

Nebraska Outlander

I agree with what Bitterroot said about it being a trial and error process. IMHO, I think that another individuals temperament and to some degree their age and maturity plays more into the equation than style of hunting.I feel that hunting with a partner is always going to be a relationship of give and take. I have also found that the best experiences are those when everyone is more selfless than selfish and are committed to each others success as much as they are to their own. Unfortunately, it seem to be increasingly difficult nowadays finding another person to hunt with due to a lot of people having limited time frames or vacations, greater personal resposibilities and the ever increasing costs of hunting. I also feel to a certain degree that the focus seems to be shifting (more especially for younger people) to a "I have to hurry up and go get my________ and be back to work by Monday" trip.
I've hunted alone most of my life because I didn't want to punch someone elses timeclock afield, them sometimes having to be somewhere by a certain time to remain in the good graces of whatever it was. Having said that, I started hunting once in a while with my son-in law a couple of years ago after having a minor stroke (which I have mostly recovered from)and my wife being concerned about the prospect of my not returning one day. He is relatively new to hunting, having hunted just the last few years and has limited time and resources due to his work schedule and family commitments raising our grandkids. It's been a little bumpy here and there on a couple of trips, adapting to each other personalitites and temperaments, but I'm patient and mostly so is he.

Muleys 24/7
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately two of my closest huntin buddys moved out of state a few years back,I have been hunting by my self most of the time and don't mind it at all. But when going out-of-state it's nice to have someone to BS with on the road trip, and help pay for gas etc. but another buddy I hang out with had a friend that use to always go hunting by him self, after hangin out with him a few times we went on a couple hunting trips....Ever since then he's the only one that is as sirius about hunting as I am, he puts in for all the states that I do and he's always wanting to go scouting year round to ensure a great upcoming season.

Ikeepitcold
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
My hunting partners are a lot like me, so that works in most ways, but it also leads to some conflict (nothing serious of course) sometimes ... we have ended up being more like brothers than friends. It is good knowing that you can depend on those guys.

You really know who your friends are about 4 miles into a backpack pack-out where your partners are hauling your meat on their backs, and they say how awesome the trip was.

I hear that. Both my hunting partners helped me pack my elk down 4000 ft to the truck in the dark at -10 it took 7 hrs. Now that's friendship. I did return the favor for one of them and will for the other when the time comes.

Old Hunter
05-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd feel like I was missing something if I wasn't half dead from getting the meat out myself every hunt. :)

Maybe that's something I should miss? Hmmm......

bigshot
05-05-2012, 11:26 PM

bigshot
05-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Do what I did and go back east, find a country girl who loves hunting and is dying to move out west. My wife a great hunting partner, her only fault is she does not like going on trips that last for more than one week at a time. So for the long out of state trips I'm fortunate to have multiple close friends in several states that I enjoy hunting with. My buddies are, "Brother," like. I met most of my close buddies during my hound hunting years. Either by selling or buying a dog from them. Some were my clients when I was a bear guide and we got along so well we became close friends.

mthuntress
05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I started huning with my Dad when I was three years old {I was supost to be a boy the Docs got it wrong but he did get my brother 10 years later} and we did alot of hard hunting for years and if it was 22 miles in that where you would find us but in 2001 he had his first stroke and since then he has had three more strokes and at least 100 TIAs {mini strokes}so now he is having a great day if he can walk 50 yards {count your blessing if you still have your health} so this last season I finley got him to get the disibility permit that allows you shoot from my car so he could hunt {and I have to say Dad did it kicking and screaming like a little kid}as he stated he would never hunt this way but I got tired of seeing the longing look he'd have in his eyes ever time I headed out the door.So I asked him to do it for me so we could hunt somemore. He ended up taking a 160 class white-tail buck 45 yards from the road but the buck ran 75 yards before dropping.Dad couldn't walk to see him so my brother and I carryed the buck whole to him from the photo op as we think it may have been his last buck{hope I'm wrong}.I have to amite that he did ask if I would take him hunting again even with me doing all the work all I could do was look at him and smile and said as long he could hold a rifle Id take him.
Hunting partners are hard to come by for me as I like to hit the backcountry {15 miles in with camp on my back} but with that being said I have one right now who will drop everything just to hunt with me and if it's his or my game that hits the ground it don't matter how far it is to the car we get the job done. All I can say is I love my brother for being willing to "go the extra mile" with me Now all I need is to find a Boyfriend like my brother.:)

labman
05-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I guess I am pretty lucky me and my brother have been hunting for years together and I would not have it any other way!!

Kevin Root
05-06-2012, 08:57 AM
I started huning with my Dad when I was three years old {I was supost to be a boy the Docs got it wrong but he did get my brother 10 years later} and we did alot of hard hunting for years and if it was 22 miles in that where you would find us but in 2001 he had his first stroke and since then he has had three more strokes and at least 100 TIAs {mini strokes}so now he is having a great day if he can walk 50 yards {count your blessing if you still have your health} so this last season I finley got him to get the disibility permit that allows you shoot from my car so he could hunt {and I have to say Dad did it kicking and screaming like a little kid}as he stated he would never hunt this way but I got tired of seeing the longing look he'd have in his eyes ever time I headed out the door.So I asked him to do it for me so we could hunt somemore. He ended up taking a 160 class white-tail buck 45 yards from the road but the buck ran 75 yards before dropping.Dad couldn't walk to see him so my brother and I carryed the buck whole to him from the photo op as we think it may have been his last buck{hope I'm wrong}.I have to amite that he did ask if I would take him hunting again even with me doing all the work all I could do was look at him and smile and said as long he could hold a rifle Id take him.
Hunting partners are hard to come by for me as I like to hit the backcountry {15 miles in with camp on my back} but with that being said I have one right now who will drop everything just to hunt with me and if it's his or my game that hits the ground it don't matter how far it is to the car we get the job done. All I can say is I love my brother for being willing to "go the extra mile" with me Now all I need is to find a Boyfriend like my brother.:)

Sorry to hear about your Dad's health mthuntress. Your right about counting ones blessings if you still have your health. Life seems to go by pretty fast at times. Sounds like you have some good memories hunting with your dad and brother. I have similar memories from three years on being in the outdoors with my dad and I miss him as he passed away several years ago.

I've been working on my wife slowly to see if I one day can get her into hunting. Perhaps that would make for a good new thread? "How to get your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend into hunting." My wife puts up a lot with my hunting obsessions and does go backpacking, camping and hiking often with me. She is a awesome wife in every way but it would be so cool if she shared that same hunting obsession too. Some guys or gals perhaps want a break from their better half when they go hunting, but not me. I hope you will find that boyfriend like your brother mthuntress that will go the extra mile and be a good hunting partner too. :)

JNDEER
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
My hunting partner is my brother. We have hunted together our whole lives and know exactly what each other is thinking, what should be done and how to interpret each others thoughts without saying a word. It was worked out very well for us over the years.

More recently we have brought along our cousin. He started with nothing and we molded him into the type of hunter we are and things have been working out for us as well. If you find someone who you are compatible with and if they have the drive to hunt or drive to want to hunt you could possibly mold them into the type of hunter you are.

bern0134
05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
When I was younger I used to go with my cousins a lot but they pretty much grew away from it. But I'm still pretty fortunate my hunting partner is still my Dad. After all he is the one who taught me what I know and got me started. Now I handle all the applications and research while he waits until I tell him where we are hunting for the year.
I met a couple of new friends while getting my master's degree. Some of them really like to hunt. One guy can be somewhat of an a%&hole when it comes to hunting. He want's to learn all your tricks and places to hunt but when it comes to him sharing his places to go and ideas he's a bit shady about it. But I got another good friend that I met out here and we get along fairly well when it comes to sharing research ideas so this year him and I put in and got drawn to go archery elk hunting in NM. So we'll see if how that works out.

Ikeepitcold
05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad's health mthuntress. Your right about counting ones blessings if you still have your health. Life seems to go by pretty fast at times. Sounds like you have some good memories hunting with your dad and brother. I have similar memories from three years on being in the outdoors with my dad and I miss him as he passed away several years ago.

I've been working on my wife slowly to see if I one day can get her into hunting. Perhaps that would make for a good new thread? "How to get your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend into hunting." My wife puts up a lot with my hunting obsessions and does go backpacking, camping and hiking often with me. She is a awesome wife in every way but it would be so cool if she shared that same hunting obsession too. Some guys or gals perhaps want a break from their better half when they go hunting, but not me. I hope you will find that boyfriend like your brother mthuntress that will go the extra mile and be a good hunting partner too. :)

This is my wife and daughter. Both with their first big game animals. both love to hunt and are my new hunting partners. My wife enjoys hunting as a family and we will do it everytime she draws a tag. My hunting buddys come to join in for the memories too but its not as hard core with the family, its more about getting out there and enjoying having family hunting trip.

Kevin Root
05-06-2012, 04:20 PM

This is my wife and daughter. Both with their first big game animals. both love to hunt and are my new hunting partners. My wife enjoys hunting as a family and we will do it everytime she draws a tag. My hunting buddys come to join in for the memories too but its not as hard core with the family, its more about getting out there and enjoying having family hunting trip.

Very nice Ikeepitcold. Those are awesome pictures. I've taken my family, camping fishing, pheasant hunting but the big game has eluded them so far. For Valentines day my wife gave me a gift certificate for taking her on trip of choice, this includes hunting. My plan is to take her on a big game outing. I'm not sure if she will catch the hunting bug or not but I hope she will have as good a time as I surly will. I just hope I'll be able to help in making it fun for her.

Drhorsepower
05-06-2012, 04:29 PM
You have a pretty awesome wife kevin

Ikeepitcold
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Very nice Ikeepitcold. Those are awesome pictures. I've taken my family, camping fishing, pheasant hunting but the big game has eluded them so far. For Valentines day my wife gave me a gift certificate for taking her on trip of choice, this includes hunting. My plan is to take her on a big game outing. I'm not sure if she will catch the hunting bug or not but I hope she will have as good a time as I surly will. I just hope I'll be able to help in making it fun for her.

I don't see how she won't get hooked. But you said it. Make it fun for them. It will make it or break it for her. If she sees how hard we work to find big trophy animals before they get the bug it could turn her off of the hunting thing all together.

Colorado Cowboy
05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
My wife used to shoot & hunt with me, but she has had 2 replacement hips and 2 replacement knees! She still shoots trap and fishes, but cannot do the hiking I do. She is 69 also. Used to like to shoot doves and waterfowl. But she would rather fish now.

6mm Remington
05-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Awesome stuff guys. Kevin you are bringing them alone just right!

Dan
05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
My wife loves to fish and play on the ATVs. She has no interest in hunting. Antelope hunting in Wyoming is about the only time that I hunt all day with someone. I now live on the other side of the state from my hunting buddies. Every few years we sometimes make it work where we are all in elk camp. We make it to the spot and everyone gets to work setting up the tents, collecting firewood and all else that goes along with it. We scout together, but come opening morning, we each usually go our seperate ways. When we get back to camp, we always hope to see blood on someones hands - When that happens, we celebrate a little then get up the next morning and go help pack the meat out. This is the way the 4 of us have done it for the last 20 years or so. I prefer to hunt elk by myself but it is great to have someone to help pack. I have a friend at work - he lives in Eagle, Co - that badly wants to go hunting for the 1st time. If I can make schedules work, I might take him this year.

Nebraska Outlander
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
While I was dating my wife I took her turkey hunting with me and she loved it!! She was so excited that I got a bird while she was there she broke my blind from jumping up and down. Since then we had daughter Alayna and things around the house has been pretty busy. My wife enjoys being out doors but I can't convince her to hunt deer with me. I got her a bow and she seems to like to shoot it however right after I got it for her, her belly got in the way from being pregnant. So she hasn't shot it since then. We should start back up again since our daughter is 18 months now.

Either way it's tough finding someone who hunts the way you do and you get along with. Sometimes I think I am being too picky but I do want to be safe and I find a lot of things people do really bother me about being safe. I am not saying I am over cautious just that I am asking for them to have common sense.

I would like my family to be my hunting group just that it is hard getting my wife to enjoy it.

Thanks for all the post great to hear your stories.

Nebraska Outlander

In God We Trust
05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I gave up on finding a new hunting partner. I hunt with my dad and brother when we get the chance. I had a good friend burn me on a backpacking spot that I showed him. He ended up bringing 3 other guys into that spot and now they all hunt it. Needless to say I found a new place to hunt.
I am taking my soon to be wife on her first elk and deer hunt this year in Colorado. If she likes it she will be my new hunting partner. She already like to go back packing and scouting with me so I am confident she will enjoy the hunting experience. A good hunting spot is getting harder and harder to come by. I am to the point that I only trust my family with keeping these places under wraps.

jenbickel
05-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I've pretty much given up on finding a new hunting partner as well. I find that if I am hunting with someone who doesnt match my hunting style, it almost takes the fun out of it and I tend to get annoyed. I have a lot of fun hunting but I also take it very seriously. I like to hunt hard. It's hard to find another girl that likes to get off the beaten path and isn't afraid to really work for it. I have no problem hiking 10+ miles a day if need be. I shed hunt farther than that so I definitely dont have a problem going after an elk or a deer or anything that far. The problem I run into is that most of the people that match my hunting style are men and most wives or girlfriends arent real keen on letting their significant other hunt with another female. I have a couple friends that have outfitting businesses here and I tried to be a guide for them and their wives wouldn't allow me to be a guide because of the amount of time spend afield with their significant other. I don't mind hunting by myself but I would definitely enjoy having some company. I like to share the hunt and excitement with someone.

Old Hunter
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
I've pretty much given up on finding a new hunting partner as well. I find that if I am hunting with someone who doesnt match my hunting style, it almost takes the fun out of it and I tend to get annoyed. I have a lot of fun hunting but I also take it very seriously. I like to hunt hard. It's hard to find another girl that likes to get off the beaten path and isn't afraid to really work for it. I have no problem hiking 10+ miles a day if need be. I shed hunt farther than that so I definitely dont have a problem going after an elk or a deer or anything that far. The problem I run into is that most of the people that match my hunting style are men and most wives or girlfriends arent real keen on letting their significant other hunt with another female. I have a couple friends that have outfitting businesses here and I tried to be a guide for them and their wives wouldn't allow me to be a guide because of the amount of time spend afield with their significant other. I don't mind hunting by myself but I would definitely enjoy having some company. I like to share the hunt and excitement with someone.

I wish I had met someone like you when I was younger.

jenbickel
05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Colorado isn't too far away!! Haha :)

Old Hunter
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
True, but my 10+ mile hikes are in the past. Just an old guy trying to survive now.

Nebraska Outlander
05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
My wife likes to hike and do some outdoor stuff. I made a joke that she could be the camp chief and keep me company at the tent. ;) However she wasn't too sure about it.

Nebraska Outlander

Varejcka
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
If you are willing to be a mentor to an inexperienced (less than a year) hunter in eastern Nebraska I am a willing to be a good student. I am a 42 year old, 22 year military veteran looking to establish a hunting tradition in my family. My son and 2 daughters all want to hunt big game and turkey so I would love to gain and share knowledge.

jenbickel
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm all about gaining and sharing knowledge! :)

hoshour
06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Old Hunter, how old are you?

My buddy and I have started hunting in CO and stay with my cousin in Nathrop, just a couple miles down the road from you. In fact, they go to church in BV.

We just put in for points this year and hope to hunt mulies next year close to there. We're in our late 50s.

Boonie P
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Sometimes you just get lucky. I moved into a new house and took a few days of settling in before getting around to meeting the neighbors. A few weeks later my neighbor across the street noticed me cleaning my shotguns after a quail hunt. He couldn't talk long as he was packing the family up for a little night out on the town. Next time we talked, the subject of bowhunting came up and the rest is history. Hunting buddies through and through. Neither of had any idea that the other was an avid hunter and we've been friends ever since!

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Old Hunter, how old are you?

My buddy and I have started hunting in CO and stay with my cousin in Nathrop, just a couple miles down the road from you. In fact, they go to church in BV.

We just put in for points this year and hope to hunt mulies next year close to there. We're in our late 50s.

I missed this. I'll be 70 in Dec. Stop laughing.

Nebraska Outlander
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
If you are willing to be a mentor to an inexperienced (less than a year) hunter in eastern Nebraska I am a willing to be a good student. I am a 42 year old, 22 year military veteran looking to establish a hunting tradition in my family. My son and 2 daughters all want to hunt big game and turkey so I would love to gain and share knowledge.

Sorry Varejcka,

I haven't been around for a while been pretty busy working on stuff around the house and surviving the heat. I am actually a little younger than you are (34) and if your interested hanging around a younger guy we could talk. :)

Lately I been working on a custom muzzleloader and hope to have it finished here in a couple weeks. Along with spending time with family and fishing.

If your good with learning something from someone younger shoot me a message and we can try to touch base.

by the way I live in Omaha so I am on the eastern side of Nebraska also.

Nebraska Outlander

xtreme
07-08-2012, 09:50 AM
I turned 70 last month. A good friend told me that I cant hunt solo. He said he would go with me if no one else will. Last night my nephew told me the same thing. Nephews first and only trip was the Lizard Head storm in 1997. I have to admit hardly anyone would ever want to go again after that experience. Nephew will make a good hunting partner and I want to make this a really good trip for him without the danger of the earlier trip. I think I will get him a small game license and he can carry a 22-250, make him feel better, we had a cat encounter in the Lizard Head on top of everthing else.

b1indhog
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Had the "it's not you, it's me" conversation with several former hunting partners. Now its my 12 yr old son and me. He's old enough to go and young enough I can mould him into the proper hunting partner.

xtreme
07-08-2012, 11:55 AM
You will both enjoy hunting together. I have had a really good time hunting with my grand son, Montana. He just turned 14 and told me about his bear. Lol He said to himself, "this is really going to happen". Then as he is about to shoot, " don't screw this up" He said he felt some pressure. I bet he did. I was nearby I ask him if he went over the nine points of firing the shot? He said Pappaw I fogot all about that.

Nebraska Outlander
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
You will both enjoy hunting together. I have had a really good time hunting with my grand son, Montana. He just turned 14 and told me about his bear. Lol He said to himself, "this is really going to happen". Then as he is about to shoot, " don't screw this up" He said he felt some pressure. I bet he did. I was nearby I ask him if he went over the nine points of firing the shot? He said Pappaw I fogot all about that.

This is funny, I have a nine year old who I look forward to coming with me on my hunts only problem is I only have him every other weekend. The only frustrating part is his mom won't let him skip school to hunt with me when it would be a bigger trip. I am only frustrated because its okay for him to skip school when it is her activity not mine. Yet I still make the best of it he gets to go duck hunting with me on the weekends and he absolutly loves it!! Already shooting a 12 gauge and doesn't thinks it kicks! Strong kid and I can't wait to see him start hunting deer!!

I just talked to the guy I was gonna go Antelope hunting later next month and told me he wouldn't be able to go. Looks like I might be going solo! Yet you know I think I would rather have it this way maybe I will be able to spend more time talking to God this way catching up with our time. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys keep them coming!!!

Nebraska Outlander

jenbickel
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I feel your pain there Nebraska Outlander! My ex-husband says that hunting has taken over my life and he doesn't want me subjecting our daughter into that sort of thing. Lol she LOVES to go hunting with me wether it be deer and antelope hunting or shed hunting. She loves to get outside and shoot her gun. Her dad wants her to be a video gamer. HA! Not my kid!! :)

tdub24
07-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I feel your pain there Nebraska Outlander! My ex-husband says that hunting has taken over my life and he doesn't want me subjecting our daughter into that sort of thing. Lol she LOVES to go hunting with me wether it be deer and antelope hunting or shed hunting. She loves to get outside and shoot her gun. Her dad wants her to be a video gamer. HA! Not my kid!! :)

Nice, really nice!!!

Old Hunter
07-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Now we know why he's your ex-husband. :)

sjsmallfield
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Sounds more like a woman to me. I dated a girl way back when for about a year. We were at dinner one night and she told me she couldn't believe it. She got me to quit cussin and chewing now all she had to do was get me to quit hunting. I hope she's doing well. I haven't talked to her since that night. :D No joke!

kcaves
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Sounds more like a woman to me. I dated a girl way back when for about a year. We were at dinner one night and she told me she couldn't believe it. She got me to quit cussin and chewing now all she had to do was get me to quit hunting. I hope she's doing well. I haven't talked to her since that night. :D No joke!

Sounds like a woman I was seeing down in Laramie a few years ago, draw results had just come out and I drew my elk tag, so I took vacation and September, and she made plans to go to California or something, and I told her I was goin hunting while she was gone; well that didn't go over too well and she said she was going to make me give up on hunting. I left her right then at that moment

Nebraska Outlander
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow I thought I had it rough! My wife is always getting on me about my grammar and leaving the seat up on the toilet! I better count my lucky stars at least mine lets me hunt and fish! :)

Nebraska Outlander

xtreme
07-09-2012, 10:43 PM
The older I get the more I think about hunting, I call it "dry hunting".

14Arrows
07-22-2013, 08:27 PM
going to boob marshall got walltent horses tach .all my partners said they would be ready.paid thousands of dallars .now no one is going .know anyone dependable?this seems to be my problem.

Doe Nob
07-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm not afraid to go anywhere on my own, but I have a 2 year old boy and can't wait till he's old enough to go. I sure hope he takes a shine to it, we are already having debates in the house "Dada, no hunting, watch elmo!". Ha!

In the mean time, I've been "cultivating" a few hunting partners. Find people you like who are good people but not as into hunting or maybe a different kind of hunting and introduce them to it. No shortage of waterfowl hunters around here, but not many willing to drive 22 hours straight then go spend a week in the back country. Then you set the "norm" while you are teaching them. The couple guys I've beeen taking think 16 mile days with a 50 lb pack and sleeping 4 hours is just how you get around, they are too green to know better. :cool:

tttoadman
07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
I hunt with nobody but my brother and my niece. She has been hunting hard since she was 12. We have hunted with a few people over the years, and most never want to come back, nor were they invited. My brother and I have also worked side by side for the same steel fab shop for over 22 years. We definetely have that unspoken language, and I think that makes it uncomfortable when we try to hunt with other people. My niece has learned to hunt like us, and I would put her up against any guy out there. Once in awhile we will try to cave to the pressure of work, but one of us is always pushing the others to get it together and get out there.

My oldest son is 18 and hunted when he was young. I hope he picks it up now that he is out of school.

Kevin Root
07-23-2013, 11:57 AM

I'm so sad to hear about your ex trying to put a damper on hunting but even more importantly putting a damper on you subjecting your daughter to hunting, enjoying the outdoors together with your daughter and for you to be an influence and a role model to her that way Jen Bickel.

Family splits with kids are never much fun, having gone through a divorce 17 years ago myself when my kids were very little, it has had its share of challenges along the way. I'm hoping and praying your ex will support you better in the future, even if hunting and the outdoors is not his thing. Not only support for your sake as a person and parent but for your daughter's and children's sake. I'm hoping you all will continue to be able to enjoy hunting and the outdoors together whenever possible. Hoping the best for you all Jen.

NorthT
07-23-2013, 07:09 PM
My hunting partner is about 20yrs older than me. He also introduced me to bow hunting which is probably why our styles of hunting are very similiar. Even though he is older than he, he is just s crazy as me when it comes to certain places. He liked to think he's the brains a and I'm the muscle, haha. I can honestly say I don't know how it will end up in a couple of years when he can't make on certain trips. I do have a few life long friends that would go anywhere with me but feel like it will not be the same

HuntWYODon
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm so sad to hear about your ex trying to put a damper on hunting but even more importantly putting a damper on you subjecting your daughter to hunting, enjoying the outdoors together with your daughter and for you to be an influence and a role model to her that way Jen Bickel.

Family splits with kids are never much fun, having gone through a divorce 17 years ago myself when my kids were very little, it has had its share of challenges along the way. I'm hoping and praying your ex will support you better in the future, even if hunting and the outdoors is not his thing. Not only support for your sake as a person and parent but for your daughter's and children's sake. I'm hoping you all will continue to be able to enjoy hunting and the outdoors together whenever possible. Hoping the best for you all Jen.
Hey Kevin,
Well spoken. I too have been divorced for 17 years. Over the years I have tried to give my son exposure to hunting since he could walk. I still remember one time when he was around 4 yrs old. We were glassing and my son says "daddy, I think see a deer". I had him show me where he was glassing. It was a stump about 200 yds. away. I told him good spot. Looks just like a deer but I think it is a stump. I was proud that he found it. I remember having him in a baby pack on my back while bowhing deer on Kiabab.He would be babbling away while I "pretending" to hunt. He was 21 this July. I withdrew his Wy. app this year because he had a good job oppertunity coming up the end of July. Well he got the job so it was a good call but I will miss my favorite hunting partner with me in Wy. and on my other hunts this year. His mom has always been supportive of him hunting with me and I get along with her like a best friend. She would give me crap sometimes when I was married about going hunting all the time. I always reminded her that I told her thats what I did before we got married. She was with me once in Ut. when I shot a buck before married. She didn't care for the sight of gutting it out much and never went after that. She's definitely not an anti hunter though. I still have friends I hunt with but it's extra special when your children hunt with you and want to learn from you and awesome when they shoot their first deer, etc..

Engideer
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I am one of those people from the flatlands who loves/lives to hunt out west and have done it for years. I have tried several different times to get people to go out with me, but it seldom works out. I have had some that went and then were worried about getting lost, or running into predators. My favorite was when two guys were "committed" to going, and then called me the week before we left and backed out. It would be great to have a hunting partner on these trips. I don't even mind hauling an elk out on my own, but it would be a lot more fun to get to share in other people's hunts each evening. I have tried to get to know some of the people in the area that I hunt, but most of them are gun hunters and I only bow hunt. I am sure one of these days it will work out, or not, either way I am going to be sitting on the side of a mountain in September!

300 short mag
07-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Every one of you who hunt with a loved one count your blessings. My son whom is 53 yrs old and was my. Hunting partner got bone cancer and is not able to hunt any more,I really miss that time with him I am 73 yrs old and just applied for a left over elk license, I am lucky that my other 2 hunting friends will go every other year and I can go with them.So like I said earlier count your blessings John

Aught6Fan
07-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Every one of you who hunt with a loved one count your blessings. My son whom is 53 yrs old and was my. Hunting partner got bone cancer and is not able to hunt any more,I really miss that time with him I am 73 yrs old and just applied for a left over elk license, I am lucky that my other 2 hunting friends will go every other year and I can go with them.So like I said earlier count your blessings John

John,
I am sorry to hear about your son's condition. Sounds like he's got a lot of good reasons to fight a good fight against that stuff.

Thank God for good friends. I hope you get a new world record elk!!!

I couldn't agree more with what you've said. I lost my father this past winter and I'd give anything to go hunting or fishing with him one more time.

I guess he was my best hunting partner too.

Joe

dying to kill
07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
oh man these are some good posts!! my first friend I went elk huntin with was all game about it until our 3rd day on the mountain. He was home sick, missed his girl friend, and was tired of walkin so much. It really sucked he said im not walkin another step I wanna go home!! I said you gotta be kiddin me my wife is gonna think im a panzy if I come home 3 days early ( which was accurate) then she gave me a tough time for spendin $544 on a elk tag and not bringing any meat home. needless to say I haven't been back with him , my current partner is a pretty good guy, he takes it almost too serious sometimes but it makes me push myself harder than I would if I was with anyone else, which can be good and can be bad. But we have the same religious beliefs which is a major plus. im blessed to have him.

25contender
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I am one of those people from the flatlands who loves/lives to hunt out west and have done it for years. I have tried several different times to get people to go out with me, but it seldom works out. I have had some that went and then were worried about getting lost, or running into predators. My favorite was when two guys were "committed" to going, and then called me the week before we left and backed out. It would be great to have a hunting partner on these trips. I don't even mind hauling an elk out on my own, but it would be a lot more fun to get to share in other people's hunts each evening. I have tried to get to know some of the people in the area that I hunt, but most of them are gun hunters and I only bow hunt. I am sure one of these days it will work out, or not, either way I am going to be sitting on the side of a mountain in September!Where do you live?

buckbull
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM

So sorry to hear that John. We have friends whose 18 year old son was just diagnosed with bone cancer as well. He had his first chemo treatment last weekend. My son is really good friends with him and were in boy scouts together. He hunted and fished with his dad too; really a bad deal to see someone who should be going away to college having to go thru what he is going thru. Prayers for you.

25contender
07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
This is a good thread. I had a great friend that I hunted every elk season with for twenty years. He passed away way to young a few years back. It has taken taken a while to put the pack back on. I keep in touch with his sister and like she said he would want me to keep up the yearly tradition. I pretty much hunt by myself now as it is really hard to find someone to hunt the way i do. I am hoping my nephew will try elk hunting. He is a good kid.

Mark
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Funny to have stumbled across this post today. I've been looking for a hunting buddy for awhile. I've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life but a "rookie" by hunting standards. Anyhow, I was thinking the same thing today, it's not easy to find someone to hunt with, much less be good friends with.

I'm currently researching areas I'm going to focus on hunting solo, or with someone if that works out. Been doing some outfit hunts. Super fun but more fun if there was a buddy to share in the experience. This is probably as good a place as any to start the process!

JMSZ
07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Funny to have stumbled across this post today. I've been looking for a hunting buddy for awhile. I've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life but a "rookie" by hunting standards. Anyhow, I was thinking the same thing today, it's not easy to find someone to hunt with, much less be good friends with.

I'm currently researching areas I'm going to focus on hunting solo, or with someone if that works out. Been doing some outfit hunts. Super fun but more fun if there was a buddy to share in the experience. This is probably as good a place as any to start the process!

Where do you live in SoCal and where do you /are you looking to hunt?

I live in the high desert (north of Palmdale, etc, past BFE), I hunt D8 and this year, X10.

Engideer
07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Where do you live?

I live in Arkansas. I plan on moving out to colorado at some point, but that is still a ways into the future.

clacklin009
07-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Finding someone to hunt with is difficult. Most people hunt with their family. My dad got me into hunting but cant make it up the mountain anymore. I have been trying to find someone to hunt with for 5 years. Can't find anyone that can take time off work and do back pack hunts that doesn't already hunt with family or childhood friends.

Manualman
07-29-2013, 10:25 PM
I hunted with my dad or a couple friends when I was younger. Since I started hunting in Wyoming, it's my nephew & me or me solo like this elk season will be. I learned a long time ago there is only 3 people I can count on, ME,MYSELF & I.

clacklin009
08-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Posted a few days ago about how hard it can be to find someone to hunt with. Picked up my trail camera pictures yesterday and after showing people I seem to have a lot of people wanting to go out with me this year. No seriously,like five offers in two days.6177

mcseal2
08-04-2013, 01:02 AM
The guy I hunt with grew up a mile away, we have been hunting and fishing together since grade school. We know each other really well and work well together. The only drawback I see is that I am more driven to hunt hard than him, he sometimes gets discouraged when weather or game doesn't cooperate and we are putting in lots of effort not seeing much. Still wouldn't trade him in, I just let him do his thing and go it alone when he gets that way. He is color blind so he needs help on blood trails at times, and I seem to spot more game because I can tell greens from orange or brown. Especially when deer have their summer coats it makes a big difference.

If I was looking for someone I'd try to find someone willing to put in time going over topos, calling landowners or game wardens, etc. Someone who will put in the time and effort on the pre-hunt research is likely to be serious about hunting when you arrive. Make sure they will pull their own weight in both time and money invested on things you will both use like fuel and shelter. I like people who feel like it is a group success when our plan comes together and one of us fills a tag, not jealous. I take pride in being part of outsmarting a wise old buck or bull no matter which of us pulls the trigger.

mcseal2
08-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Should have added that we flip a coin before each hunt to see who gets first shot when we are hunting together. It keeps us cooperating, not competing. When we split up it's every man for himself, but when together we follow that rule. We used to rush to beat the other one to the shot and both screw it up as kids, this makes for a better partnership.

Engideer
08-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Posted a few days ago about how hard it can be to find someone to hunt with. Picked up my trail camera pictures yesterday and after showing people I seem to have a lot of people wanting to go out with me this year. No seriously,like five offers in two days.6177

Well, heck yes, I am tempted to offer to as well. That is a beautiful bull, I hope you put a tag on him!

HuntWYODon
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Should have added that we flip a coin before each hunt to see who gets first shot when we are hunting together. It keeps us cooperating, not competing. When we split up it's every man for himself, but when together we follow that rule. We used to rush to beat the other one to the shot and both screw it up as kids, this makes for a better partnership.

Hey MC,
I wish we'd of been smart enough to flip a coin when we were younger. I've been with so called friends that rush to shoot what you spotted.
Selfish is one word to describe it...
Hope all has been well with you.

dewey
08-07-2013, 12:56 PM

You know what would be funny and a good way to find out who a good hunting partner might be? Tell the people that have seen it was a picture you downloaded from the internet and it was a joke. Then a couple of days/weeks later go and ask if any of them still want to hunt with you even though you haven't seen anything yet.

Dewey

clacklin009
08-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Dewey, I think that could work, wish it didn't have to work like that.

JMSZ
08-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Dewey, I think that could work, wish it didn't have to work like that.

If you're feeling really cynical, you could show potential hunting partners the picture, give them coordinates to a location that is obviously false when they get there, then a) see who doesn't show up to hunt with you and b) see who has the balls to come back and gripe at you for giving them the wrong location.

Old Hunter
08-08-2013, 04:53 PM
It's so much easier to just hunt alone. None of these problems crop up. Come and go as you please.

hoshour
08-08-2013, 10:15 PM
It's easier, sure, but a good hunting buddy or two adds a lot of good fun and conversation, not to mention help.

To each his own. I've hunted both ways and love hunting with a good friend, even with an acquaintance if they're ethical and reliable, hunt hard but don't party hard, and don't take themselves too seriously.

On the other hand, I think good friends are rare and always have been.

Nebraska Outlander
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Well it's been awhile since I've been on this site and thought I'd give an up date. I met a guy on another forum who lives in Nebraska along with me. Only problem is he lives on the other side of the state. Which works great for me cause this is where we hunt. So he does all the scouting and all I have to do is show up to hunt. He is a pastor and loves to hunt as much as I do. Along with great to have a good conversation with. I believe I found my hunting partner! Funny how the world wide Web has helped me again!

robsev
04-03-2014, 10:14 AM
When I lived in SD I had a buddy who was real big into waterfowl and pheasant hunting. We hunted together all the time and got along fine. We started applying for an elk license in the Black Hills - took us 10 years but we finally drew a tag. Well, in that 10 years he had gained over 50 pounds. I kept telling him he better start getting in shape. He started about a week before the season started. He didn't have much equipment so I furnished him a rifle and sleeping bag, plus I had all the camping equipment. The day before we were to leave he told me he couldn't leave at the time I wanted to so he would drive out separate. Well, I got to the campground, set up the tent, his cot, rolled out his sleeping bag, gathered wood, then he showed up. Most of our hunting for the next week consisted of him giving me a ride to the top of a ridge, I would hunt the ridge down to the road, and he would pick me up on the bottom. All of a sudden one morning he got up and said - I'm going home, and you're probably going to need to wash your sleeping bag because I have a rash on my feet and I think he got from the bag. (couldn't be from his 1000 gr goretex boots in 75 degree weather) Loaded up "his" stuff and left. So when I left a few days later I had to take the entire camp down, including rolling up the funky sleeping bag and cot he slept in. Funny part of this whole story is my thoughts were - I guess he's just not a big game hunter - oh well. He has not spoken to me since - HE'S MAD AT ME!!! Fast forward a few years - I retired from the military and my wife got a job offer in Wyoming. I thought - that's great! A good friend of mine lives in Wyoming and we used to hunt together all the time. Well, I've been here four years and my buddy got into a business venture that just doesn't give him any time to hunt, and I found out that the town we live in is very hard to meet people, especially hunters. (most everyone I talk to, as soon as I say I like to hunt big game, they zip their lip and change the subject). I'm at the age where I really don't feel safe heading out across the mountains alone, so here I am, living in hunting paradise with nowhere to go and no one to go with.

cacklercrazy
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm very lucky in having great partners. I've been hunting with my cousin since we were 8yrs old with BB guns. we've hunted so long together that we think alike. I also have a young friend that's very much like a little brother to me. I've taught him how I like to hunt and what works for me out in the field.

schl44
04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I have never been able to find anyone who would pay there fair share on hunting trips. I always ended up with almost all the expenses. My truck, trailor and gear and always ended up paying for almost all the fuel.It sure is frustrating to have so called hunting buddies get alligator arms when its time to pay up! No more of that for me. Now just me, wife and the dog .

Nebraska Outlander
04-03-2014, 11:20 AM
The guy I met is awesome and loves to hunt as hard as I do. I couldn't tell you ask the stuff he has done for me in the past two years. With that all said I know what it's like to have a hunting partner who let's you do all the work then complains when you don't see what your wanting to see. Very frustrating!