PDA

View Full Version : Who's Been Training- And How?

BigSurArcher
05-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I haven't seen the workout thread in a while, and now is the time! I've been hitting it pretty hard on the bike, at the gym, and in the kitchen. I've started to write a bit on my blog about what's working for me, gonna get some workouts and nutrition stuff on there too. What seems to be working for everyone? I'd love to hear some new workouts and food tips to try.

jenbickel
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I've been shed hunting, which I count as training! I also go jogging around town. I have been eating lots of eggs for breakfast with carnation instant breakfast with it.. eating salads.. drinking lots and lots of water. Tons of bananas and spinach! Staying away from fast food and junk food. It's pretty much working awesome for me. I have lost 40 pounds since November.

Kevin Root
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I've been shed hunting, which I count as training! I also go jogging around town. I have been eating lots of eggs for breakfast with carnation instant breakfast with it.. eating salads.. drinking lots and lots of water. Tons of bananas and spinach! Staying away from fast food and junk food. It's pretty much working awesome for me. I have lost 40 pounds since November.

Wow that's awesome jenbickel. 40 pounds lost since November is awesome.

Me I'm hauling my 50 pound pack at lunch at work for a couple miles. Eating better and less and the clothes are starting to fit better. My wife's making me look bad doing P90X. I'll be jumping on P90X soon again too.

BigSurArcher
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Damn Jen that's impressive! I've been doing the same as you, no junk food, lots of good stuff. Basically snack all day on vegetables and stuff after eating eggs and toast for breakfast. Also add 3 27-gram protein shakes throughout the day, usually with a glob of peanut butter. Creatine has worked great for adding muscle, and BenHuntin and I started taking Muscle Pharm Assault which is the $hit! That stuff makes you work out SO hard and sweat like a pig. Lately I've been saving all my carb and meat intake for post-workout and its working well.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I have posted my workout before, but here it is again:

1. Run
2. Lift
3. Hike
4. Bike
5. Repeat

And here is my diet, I call it modified Paleo:

1. Don't eat crap.

dustyboots
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Been doing a kettlebell class 3 times a week that includes pushups, pullups, planks, and more pretty intense. I take my juice plus everyday(same stuff a lot of Olympians are using), a protein shake for breakfast and mix in a couple run and/or hikes a week as well. And like BB said don't eat crap

cali_hornhunter
05-09-2012, 08:53 PM
lloks like everyone is on the right track i usually lift run aand try to squeeze in a hike almost everyday with along with P90X2 i kinda all mix it together or some things one day and diff the other or all in one sometimes just get crazy about it lol and also my buddy has been training with a MMA trainer so i usually try to get together with him once in a week and workout with him its also nice cuase its free :) and most important of all eating right

Shaun
05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Back on my chicken and brown rice diet gotta loose the winter coat

hvfd21walker
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Well since Feb I have lost 20lbs. I watch what I eat. No junk food. I try to get to the gym 3-4days a week and go on the stairclimber as hard as I can for 20 mins. I went on a goat hunt with a buddy and about died. I weighed 228lbs then. Thats when it hit me im fat and need to do something about it. To date I am 181lbs and hopefully still losing. I hiked a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the difference it makes. Its gonna make the sport I love so much more fun. Your health is so valuable.

Kevin Root
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Well since Feb I have lost 20lbs. I watch what I eat. No junk food. I try to get to the gym 3-4days a week and go on the stairclimber as hard as I can for 20 mins. I went on a goat hunt with a buddy and about died. I weighed 228lbs then. Thats when it hit me im fat and need to do something about it. To date I am 181lbs and hopefully still losing. I hiked a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the difference it makes. Its gonna make the sport I love so much more fun. Your health is so valuable.

Wow 20 pounds is some great progress hvfd21walker. Good work and what you mention about health being valuable is so true.

Colorado Cowboy
05-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Pretty much the same routine 5 to 6 days a week. Being retired allows me to be very flexible. Go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week. Start with stretching & flexibility work, then eliptical stairmaster and finish with 30 to 45 mins on the treadmill set on hill mode at 3.5 to 4 mph. Workouts are about 1.25 to 1.5 hrs long. Now that the weather has warmed up, its irrigation season. I raise a little hay, so I spend lots of time outside. I usually get in a 3 to 4 mile walk before dinner....then I relax for the rest of the day.

I usually have a granola bar & low fat yogurt for breakfast, protein drink at lunch and then a normal dinner (lots of chicken, pasta, rice, veggies & salads, only eat beef a couple of time a week). I have kept off the 50# I lost 2 years ago, still working on 10 to 20 more. Harder to lose weight as you get older...70 now!

As soon as the high country gets warmed up and most of the snow melts, I'll start doing some hiking every week. I live at 7,000' and the mts where I hike are only a 1/2 hour away, so its pretty easy to get there.

bz_711
05-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Basic goal since beginning of year has been to Run, Lift, Shoot at least 4 times a week. Run consists of minimum 30 min running or stairmill. Lift can be weight machines, dumbells at home, kettlebell or yoga/body weight workouts. Shooting is the bow - sometimes it's only a 2 arrows at 11:00 at night in the garage - but the weekly consistency has my confindence and form the best it's ever been.
My wife set running goals in Jan to shed some weight after our 4th child - she was doing so well she wanted to do a half-marathon and asked me to do it with her (never before would I have considered this - never ran more than 4 miles in my life)...well the training has been awesome and typically we have been doing our long runs on Friday evening...and this Saturday is the half-marathon. I highly recommend mixing some running into your schedule (and read the book Born to Run).
And obviously - better habits with the diet along with all of this - it's funny how if you get into running 4+ days a week with 10+ mile run on Fridays...you natually just eat better because you dread having any type of belly ache while running.
Feeling Stronger and Healthier than ever...Keep up the great work guys - no amount of money in the world compares to a healthy body and mind - and it doesn't take money to have those...

Fink
05-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Man.. You guys make me feel lazy. I've been jogging each night, and I do stairs with 75 pounds in my pack, but thats about it... I just opened my pool, so as soon as it clears up, I'll start swimming.

Time to kick it into high gear.

RUTTIN
05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Lately I have been getting up at 4:00am and hiking the mountains looking for turkeys. Get home at 7:00am and ride the bike to work. Ride the bike back home after work. Take kids to dance, baseball, and softball practice. Finally get a run in (5 miles) around 9:00pm. Once the turkey hunt is over I can get back to lifting weights in the morning. Biggest thing that helped me out was to quit chewing tobacco, I can run and hike a lot better. The eating part is what I have to work on, I love to eat.

Brocka
05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
And here is my diet, I call it modified Paleo:

1. Don't eat crap.

I call my diet "modified Paleo" as well.

But aside from that, gym 4 days a week before work (I work 4 10's) then I hike friday and sometimes sunday with 30 to 40 lbs in the pack.

Jon Boy
05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I was just doing a little bit of jogging and hiking with my pack, decided that wasnt enough and got a gym membership. I go at least 5 times a week. I started eating healthy and I can not believe how much more energy I have and how much better I feel. Im nearly always in a positive mood. And healthy food actually tastes pretty dang good in my opinion.

NDHunter
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Jen, that's AWESOME! Keep it up!

I am running a half marathon in about 3 weeks. Just ran 12 miles yesterday and pretty much died so hopefully the marathon will go better....
Also been doing some upper body lifting.

Hey Bitterroot, how do you incorporate running and lifting lower body. I really haven't been lifting lower body but will start after the marathon. I'm not sure which day to do each. I dont want to just rotate every other day, I figure you gotta let your legs rest often.....

bz- good luck on the race!

Ikeepitcold
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
For me I don't start training until I know I've drawn a tag. I need the motivation to get started. My busy time at work is summer so the 16 hr days are hard enough outside sweating climbing ladders and so on and then to get on the stair stepper, treadmill, or bike instead of decompressing or going to sleep is a hard thing for me. But put a tag in my pocket and I'll do it every nite till opening day.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Bitterroot, how do you incorporate running and lifting lower body. I really haven't been lifting lower body but will start after the marathon. I'm not sure which day to do each. I dont want to just rotate every other day, I figure you gotta let your legs rest often.....

I run four days a week. I lift five days a week. I only lift legs one day a week. Running and biking also provide good strength training for your legs.

bz_711
05-11-2012, 06:24 AM
NDH - Good luck yourself with race!

These threads are great to see how much backcountry hunting motivates people to be in great shape...keep up the hard work!

labman
05-11-2012, 09:09 AM
4:30am Weights, treadmill walk/run on inclines 5 days a week mon.-fri.
6:00pm Road bike or Mountain Bike 20 miles at least 3 days a week Mon., Wed., Fri.

I also pay attention to food intake!!

BigSurArcher
05-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Great job everyone!

My routine really isn't that complicated, and I don't worry about over-training. I don't count sets or pay attention to gains in the weight room because for me that's not what's important. I don't plan out my week, saying I'll do this exercise this day or I'll work this muscle group that day. It's pretty random which I think is beneficial, considering how P90X is about confusing the body and a lot of people have great success on that program. I only ride my bike 1-2 times per week, but I hit the spin room in the school gym fairly often. Using my heart rate monitor and the spin bike I can get a lot more done strength and cardio wise than being out on the road. On the spin bike I will keep my HR over 180 for 45 minutes while doing intervals up to 220 BPM a number of times in that time frame. This is where most of my fat burning occurs. I applied to be a spin instructor next semester at the school, which I'm pretty sure I'll get. That will be sweet! Not to mention... lots of hot chicks at my school...

In the weight room I refuse to be like all the static, huge upper-bodied, chicken legged guys that hang around in there. Most of my weight exercises involve the entire body which gets the HR up. If you Youtube Lance Armstrong's weight training program, you will see where I got a lot of my lifts from. They aren't made for packing on large amounts muscle, but they add small amounts of muscle at a time while really helping out balance and core strength. And they make me sweat! I like to throw in heavy squats 2-3 times per week when I'm feeling extra strong.

The other day I let one of my professors talk me into taking her PiYo (Pilates-Yoga) class. I went because she's hot... but didn't expect much. I was wrong! It was awesome, as I got a great core workout mixed with some serious stretching and balance work. What this did was teach me the importance of stretching which I never did properly before. I really think flexibility is hugely underestimated. I will now be incorporating a number of the stretching and balance positions I learned in that class to my weekly routine.

As far as supplements go, I take a lot of protein (3 27 gram shakes/day), a big spoonful of Creatine/day, and Muscle Pharm Assault before each workout. Since taking the MP, I have been able to repeat the same workouts 3 days in a row sometimes without feeling over-exerted.

Like a lot of you guys (and Jen) have said, nutrition has probably been the biggest factor in getting in really good shape. I don't know how many calories I eat each day, but it can't be many... even though I feel like I'm always eating. My favorite post-workout dinner right now is steamed veggies with pasta and a little Yoshidas marinade with a chicken breast or steak from something I killed. I'm trying to limit most of my carbs to post-workout when they will be used for recovery. During the day just a ton of water and healthy snacks almost hourly.

Rock 2.0
05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Get up early, hike hard with a 40 lb pack, workout at night consisting of lifting with an emphasis on core and legs. Lots and lots of water.

velvetfvr
06-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Going to start, don't lift but do a lot of cardio and a bunch of pushups. I lift at school but not at home. Gonna hike with all my gear for a couple times to get used to it and run a little with my pack. Then I will shoot from weird angles and sit in weird angles so I don't get busted.

Matthoek21
06-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I train CrossFit 4-5 times per week. Not sure if this is an option for a lot of you but these are awesome total body workouts. We incorporate endurance and strength workouts. Anything from burpees, front squats, deadlifts, rope climbs, sled pulls, lots of pull ups and push ups. Every workout is timed and your pushed by the clock as well as other class members. I hurt all the time but am in the best shape of my life. Never really been over weight but have definitely bulked up and feel like I can tackle any hunt even though I didn't get drawn this year. Was really physically and mentally prepared to get after it this year. Oh well maybe next year...if I don't come out and just hunt an over the counter elk unit. Look up the CrossFit workout "Murph". Time yourself and see how you do. Don't try typing in response when your done or even the next day...you may still be shaking and sore. Good luck to all with tags. Guess I will be in shape to climb in a deer stand and hunt eastern whitetails. We all know how good a shape you need to be in to do that. Lol. Go ahead and begin making fun of us flatlanders. But if anyone wants to "run my but in the ground" on one of their high country hunts let me know I would love to see if I can hang.

flatlander51
06-01-2012, 08:52 PM
the insanity video is just that!! and will have you in mountain shape for sure! one hour a day and you can do it in your living room. and its the hardest workout i have ever done.

mthuntress
06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Lift,run,hike with pack,scout,run with weighted vest,repeat.

bern0134
06-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm just about to wrap up the 1st month of the Insanity workout. Its been one hell of a workout. I'm looking forward to starting the 2nd month. Once I finish that then I'll either try the next Insanity program (Asylum) and add weight lifting once again. If I was working at my old job I wouldn't have to worry since it mostly consisted of daily hikes at about 8500 feet.

homegrown
06-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I lift weights and do cardio (treadmill set on incline) three times a week, Hike on the weekends and as has been stated clean eating. My workouts focus on a lot of heavy leg exercises like squats, deadlifts, and cleans. I run on the treadmill the same day as a lowerbody weights day but, never the day after. I am also a roofer at the moment , so I get lots of exercise at work, some days it's hard to go to the gym and give it everything after I've been on a hot, steep roof all day, but what better training for the mountains is there? Good luck everyone, keep at it.

Muleys 24/7
06-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I do the 12oz curl and every now and then the 24oz:cool:Don't lift weights because thoughs things are heavy

Now, I work in the construction feild so I get a work out everyday at work, I would hit the gym but after a long day on the job site there's no time or energy left, when season rolls around, I havn't had any trouble hikeing up mountains and dragging deer out. I probley could eat a little more heathy, but untill I really start packing on the pounds, I'll worry about it then.

gator7275
06-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm 37 and this is my first yr going to colorado elk hunting , Ihave been training since feb started with 30 mins of cardion on a eliptical set to a cross training hil workout for 30 mins 5 days a week and working out on my bowflex 5 days a week 1 muscle group a day . In april i moved and took 3 weeks of since i have joined a gym and back to my 5 day routine except lifting with free weights and hitting my legs harder with squats leg presses and lots of calve exercises . I have 2 packages of high fiber oatmeal evey morning at 5 am go to the gym till 7 and then have a protien shake with starwberries blue , black and rasberry barries for antioxidents and vitamin c then at 9:30 a 2 egg and whole grain muffin snack a healthy lunc and dinner and a protien bar and some trail mix thrown in for snacks i try to have dinner no later than 6:30 pm . I also take a vitamin pack and flex joint pack made by universla nutrition its called animal pack and flex pack they also have awesome weight lifting supplements for stacking on lean muscle and burning fat . I thinking in august I will be hitting the high school bleacjers with a 50 lb werighted pack in the evenings .

nmbugler
06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Ive been hitting the legs, abs and running/biking. I live at 6000 feet and hiked at 8500 last week and was a little gassed. My deer hunt this year is at least 12000, so im gonna try and find a pool to get the lungs a better workout

Huntinguy0120
06-08-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm noticing a trend on here about positive progress.. And I think everyone is dedicated enough to start seeing personal growth in their own independent way.. I have read a lot on strength conditioning for preseason so I'd like to share a few more ideas I haven't yet seen..

They say that eating 5 small meals a day will help boost metabolism.. We all read this and say sure, let me take time away from my full time job to accommodate a rediculous eating schedule.. But I alter this.. I'm 26 so expendable income is used not on buying organic, but buying bullets to harvest "organic" here's what works for me:
Breakfast 6:30am: 1/2 cup oatmeal & 3 eggs (piece of wheat toast, if I'm still hungry)
Snack (between 9:30 & 10:30) protein shake or a poor mans protein shake.. Aka glass of milk
Lunch(11:30-12:30) who cares.. Just keep it smart and portioned (5 chips with a sandwich, not the whole damn bag)

I usually try to fight off the afternoon snack.. If you can't grab a (1) piece of jerky or preferrably a handful of Almonds/cashews (again watch the salt)
Dinner: my wife loves her pasta, I try to take a 1/2 portion.. Throw in some protein (aka elk steak, organically harvested of course) and a crap load of veggies.. Multiply your current intake by 3..

Now for fluids: take your current weight, divide it by two, and drink that many ounces of water per day.. I'm 195 pounds so i drink 98 ounces of water..
Let's be honest, a glass of wine or a frosty brew won't hurt ya and may motivate you to keep up the good work.. Just try to get all your fluids down by 7pm or you will get some midnight cardio running back and forth to the bathroom.

For cardio, rapid change in heart rate is the key.. Start you workout (tho is an extra few minutes to your workout) 2 min walk, 1 min elevated incline run (or flailing motion if your anything like me) repeat for 3 cycles starting out, when you can get to 30 minutes, the rest of your hunting party will hate you..

Lastly, go sockless!!! But only 6-7 weeks before season.. If you don't; you, your shoes, your wife and the whole gym will hate you.. Start with once per week, then twice, the next week 3 times etc etc (I learned this from Cameron Haynes) this will help your feet get into shape too, less blisters=more miles covered= less competition= better stories, more meat in the freezer and bigger racks on the wall!!

Good luck, boys and girl!!!

quicknick
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Dabbling in the paleo diet, doing crossfit training 3 to 4 times a week and trying to run or hike another day. If you want to be sore in places that you didn't even know existed do crossfit.

ChadH
06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
This one is near and dear to me. At nearly 50, I am a life long athelete whose job has led to a lot of stress and being fairly sedintary. So I gained a bunch of weight. I am currently traing to do a Solo Back Pack Elk hunt not this fall but next. I've been doing 45 min of cardio 6 days a week. Alternating "high burn" "slow burn" days. Slow Burn days I lift for 30 minutes, hig burn days I lift for 20/25 minutes and rotate muscle groups through out the week. I usually take Sunday off, but frequently throw on a pack and do a short hike. So far I have lost 25 pounds. I feel great and honestly find I miss days I don't get a full work out in, so they have become very few.

My goals are about another 15 pounds weight loss before I start working on a little more bulk. Lots of guys shoot for bulk and just lean out, I think that works ok for most younger guys. Lots of guys at my age have a harder time loosing wiehgt and leaning out at the same time, so I am taking a slower approach. It seems to be working for me.

Matthoek21
06-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Dabbling in the paleo diet, doing crossfit training 3 to 4 times a week and trying to run or hike another day. If you want to be sore in places that you didn't even know existed do crossfit.
Amen brother.

In God We Trust
06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I run 4-5 miles 4 days a week and lift weights 5 days a week. I have also started running the stairs at Red Rocks again. I stay in pretty good shape all year and then start hitting it hard around April. Man I can't wait for hunting season!

Wyoflightmedic
06-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Was training for 50k trail run, but now using P90X2, and adding hill climbs to workout.

nvbrushhunter
06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
For me, I've been doing traintohunt.com workouts for almost a year now and as far as diet I do the predator meal plan from the same guys. Considering a year ago I couldn't hardly walk a mile and now I run 10-15 miles a week and I'm down 50lbs and put on a ton of muscle, I'd say it has worked.

I do the workouts 4-5 days a week plus numerous mountain trail runs a week, plus I have done 4 5K trail races this year already. The workouts are based on crossfit workouts but they are tailored to a hunter. The program is run by Dan Staton and Kenton Clairmont out of Spokane Washington. If you have ever watched Bowhunter Magazine TV or read Elk Hunter Magazine, you are probably familiar with Dan as he does the fitness segments for both.

Whisky
07-08-2012, 07:01 PM
the insanity video is just that!! and will have you in mountain shape for sure! one hour a day and you can do it in your living room. and its the hardest workout i have ever done.

I am doing a little Insanity now. You're right, it's fricken "Insane". I think I only almost puked 3 times during the first workout. I'm not in any sort of shape though, unless "round" counts....

I have dabbled in P90X last year, and now Insanity. I like Insanity much more. I think the cardio is more intense and it also has more stretching in it (which I need), makes the legs burn more, and no pull ups (I can't do em). I lost 5 lbs in the first week. I started mixing it up now though, and doing hill programs on the treadmill some days, Insanity others...Soon I will be throwing on the pack and spotting scope and get to scouting for whitetails in some hills not to far away. I am jealous of you people that have mountains in your backyard to hike in.

Fink
07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
For the past few months, I’ve been concentrating pretty much solely on my legs, as I feel fairly confident in my upper body strength. I have been running about 3 miles every other day, and on the days I don’t run, I do squats and lunges. A buddy and I loaded our packs today, and climbed the best hills we have here.. I’m almost amazed at how many more muscles I feel working getting out and stomping around with the pack on versus everything else I’ve been doing.

Of course, it might have been the 98 degree heat. 52 days until elk season, I fear I may not be ready.

nv-hunter
07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
ordered widerness ath 28 day challange today. hopefully it will give me a boost to my workouts

Shaun
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
4-5 miles every morning on the step mill at 85-90 steps a minute. Than my normal weight routine after. Plus shooting every night now that we moved out of the city

BigSurArcher
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
52 days until elk season, I fear I may not be ready.

52 days is a looong time. If you put your mind to getting ready right now and you go hard, you will be just fine and glad you put in the work. Go get it.

BossBrott
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Damn BSA, Im doin' it! Feeling pretty good too. Havent eaten any crap at all. After work, I hit the weights, then I hit the bike. Dont have any supplements, but I might consider them for their benefits. Feeling great at 43, thanks.

Colorado Cowboy
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I've stepped up my workouts too. M/L elk opens Sept 8. Spending 5 am's at the gym (wife goes too) and doing a 4 mile walk evenings. I'm feeling great too........at 70!

BigT
08-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Ok I sort of cheated this year. I am down at this point 108 lb since april 2012... (cheating part is i had stomach surgery) Been running 2 miles every other day to keep my legs in shape. This year my air will be a lot better (can tell when i run) . I am a little worried about my strength but have started the insanity workout for the last couple of weeks. they really like to jump alot in those video's. The good thing can save room in my pack cause i cant eat like i use to..LOL

dihardhunter
08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Crossfit as usual. Knocked out the 100 Day Burpee Challenge about 45 days ago and hiked 25 miles in 28 hours this weekend (Saturday 1 p.m. - Sunday p.m.) with a 46 pound pack (32% of my body weight) to work out any gear kinks in my system. Best shape of my life, but weight loss over the weekend's grueling hike was a wake up call. Sucked down 3800 calories and 4-96 oz. bladders of water and still shed 25 ounces. With a 17 day archery elk in the plans, that's gonna get nasty!

Doe Nob
08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I am punishing my cardio, trying to get develop wind at sea level I will need for 7 days at 11,000 feet in Colorado in a month. I have tried several things - here is what works best for me. Interval training seems to work the best for stressing your cardiovascular systema and getting your body used to working while sucking wind. One way to do this is outside on the track - sprint at top speed for 2 mins, then walk or jog for 2 mins - repeat up to 8 intervals. I have found as I have made some good progress getting my wind up, I'm having a hard time pushing myself, so I have moved over to the treadmill. Current regimen - stretch - get on treadmill 7 degree incline at 3.5 mph. After you feel warmed up and loose, do the 2 min interval, running up the incline, start at 6.5 mph, lower mph as you run out of air completely, but do not decrease incline. That running uphill is punishing, it definitely gets me to my maximum. Do 8 2 min intervals, even if by the end you are barely jogging going uphill. If you do the latter one for a couple weeks you will see a noticeable increase in your wind.

I'm also climbing the parking garage next to the hospital near my house, its only 9 stories, but I take double stairs with a 40 lb pack on. I do double stairs to my goal, which I try to increase every time, then when I can't do more of those, I do one rep single stairs, then one last rep with the pack off. You really fly right up when you drop 40 lbs!

xtreme
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Twentysix days to bear S&S season. Weight down to 185, doing some hard farm work in the heat. Can hardly walk, running is out. Two hip replacements, open heart and an an aneurysm surgery are beginning to limit me some. Carrying a heavey pack is out. I am finding you can get by whithout a bunch of amenities. The more weight I lose the better off I am. Next goal is 180 by bear season. Maybe be to 175 by Mule deer hunt. Getting ready for mule deer season 11/3.

mnhunter
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I switched to barefoot running (vibram 5-fingers) last year, and have been really happy with how it has built my leg strength much better than my old heal strike running style.

I started out this summer doing alot of running (about 25 miles a week), and walking with a pack one day a week. The beginning of this month I bumped up my walking w/pack to 8 miles twice a week, and biking (mountain or road) 20 miles, 3 days a week.

hoshour
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow, I needed this thread. Thanks for the wakeup call.

I've been working 16 hour days 5 days a week for months now so almost no time or energy to work out and high carb food is convenient. Add in poor sleep and it's a spiral. I am really paying for it with lower energy and extra pounds.

No time like today to get back on the right track.

Big Sky
08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Good luck! The first day is the hardest.

hoshour
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Big Sky.

Made it through the first day, had to put up with feeling down and irritable most of the day but that will get easier as my blood sugar finds its level. Changing the diet is definitely the hardest part for someone used to a lot of carbs and sweet snacks. In the end I should have a lot more energy.

dihardhunter
08-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Just got revenge on my nemesis - the "Filthy Fifty". Crossfit workout that took me 43 minutes 2 or 3 months ago. Still didn't crush it, but knocked 11:30 off my time yesterday. Made me feel good to see that much progress.

SprintNShoot7
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I've been doing a lot of lifting and trying to turn lifting into cardio. I can't do the distance running like some of you guys. But I did four weeks where I'd do a squat/deadlift supersetted with a clean and super set that with box jumps. That worked pretty well. Also been riding the stationary bike, plus doing sprint intervals for cardio.

HuntPrep365
08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
mnhunter - barefoot style is the way to go! I think you'll love it when you get used to it.

A whole lot of constantly varied, high intensity functional movements. With extra lunges thrown in. Doing my typical Crossfit-type training with more emphasis on metabolic conditioning the later in summer we get. And my buddies and I are throwing in a 400m walking lunge for time every weekend. Except for last weekend, as dihardhunter said, when we hiked 25 miles and gained 6500' with 40-lb packs in a day and a half. Coming down to it now!

mnhunter
08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
HuntPrep365-

I do love it. I started with them about a year and a half ago. My longest run on them so far is 9 miles. I have never had joint pain from running, but I could tell a difference in how little shock goes into your joints when you switch to barefoot. When it gets cold I switch to Merrell trail gloves.

Colorado Cowboy
08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Went to see the Doc yesterday as I've been having some ankle pain in my Lt foot. Pain right in ankle bone under pressure. Started about 3 wks ago and has gotten worse. X rays negative. Diagnosis...Tendonitis. Steroid injection and rest it. Have to change my workout. Feels better this am, but Doc says probably started when I upped my workout to 2 a days about a month ago.

Its a bitch to get old!!!

Timberstalker
08-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Your doin good CC, I wish my dad (69) was as able as you at 70. I've been reading this tread for a while. You guys are crazy, I just started working out this week, it usually takes me a month in shape. Walking and P-90X works for me, if I start too early I get burned out. I don't really get my "woods" legs under me till a couple of days in the woods climbing the steep stuff and stepping over wind fall, a few days of that and I'm good to go!

Colorado Cowboy
08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I've found that I have to keep some type of workout going year round. When you get my age, its just torture to start after a long layoff. Used to be able to do it when I was young, but not now.

Timberstalker
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I know my time is comming, work keeps me somewhat in shape at this point. I will have to keep busy as I age so I can still get it done @ 70 like you!

Colorado Cowboy
08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Went to see the Doc yesterday as I've been having some ankle pain in my Lt foot. Pain right in ankle bone under pressure. Started about 3 wks ago and has gotten worse. X rays negative. Diagnosis...Tendonitis. Steroid injection and rest it. Have to change my workout. Feels better this am, but Doc says probably started when I upped my workout to 2 a days about a month ago.

Its a bitch to get old!!!

No workouts for 3 days. Back to the gym yesterday for my regular Monday session. No pain in the ankle this am!!! Looks like maybe it's fixed for awhile. Back to the gym this am.

My wife started going with me about a month ago. She really has had problems...both hips and knees have been replaced. The personal trainer she has (same one I used a couple of years ago) is really great. My wife feels better and is really regaining a lot of flexibility. Her goal is to climb in the Mayan ruins and do some scuba diving when we go to Belize in Feb. Whatta Gal!!!

Kevin Root
08-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Hope you feel better and will heal up soon Colorado Cowboy. Being in some pain does not sound like all that much fun.

Keeping active and those workouts surly will help slow down that aging process a bit. None of us can stop getting old but hopefully we can slow it down some :).

Sounds like you and your wife have some cool adventures coming up in February. Climbing some Mayan ruins sounds like a blast. I hope you will both have a safe and awesome adventure!

Timberstalker
08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Well I guess I haven't been doing much at work. I started P90X this week and its kicking my A$$. I should have started sooner! Its a good thing I don't have any "big " hunts going on this year, I'm way behind. Won't happen again.

Colorado Cowboy
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Looks like the ankle is fine. Spent 1 hour on the treadmill this am. Hill mode (up to 10% grade) and 3.2 to 3.5 mph. Pain in ankle is gone. I have been doing 45 min to 1 hour all last week, feels great. Ready for M/L elk season on Sept 8.

indianw
09-05-2012, 08:20 PM
been running 4 days a week 6.5 miles 3 days during the week and 5+ hour run on sundays in the hills east of sacramento ca.
have dropped 50lbs over the last year and half I hunt DIY wilderness back pack hunts with my oldest son in Colorado got a nice 6 point bull last year can't wait we leave the 16th october again this year.

toddcox35
09-08-2012, 12:58 PM
ive been doing crossfit here in Bend OR and ive lost almost 25 lbs since last season im looking forward to getting in the woods.. you should look into a crossfit gym near you its an awesome work out and great for hunting training. there is a guy on the outdoor networks TEAM ELK show named Camran Hains hes a big advocate for this type of training.

Shane13
11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I just started CrossFit this week. TOUGH stuff. I am really loving it so far.

Edelweiss
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I came off a horse a few months ago and am waiting for a spinal fusing surgery.

Before that I was packing the kid up and down the mountain by the house.

Colorado Cowboy
11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Had my annual physical last week and my Dr was pleased. He scheduled a treadmill test as I have never had one. Took it yesterday and passed it too. It really took a lot of effort to get my heart rate up to (and over) 150. Dr was again very pleased. He said I'm in as good shape as most 50 year old he tests....I'm 71! The workout I'm doing are really making a difference.

sagehunter
06-24-2013, 11:11 AM
For working out I do crossfit. I also run a lot and mt. bike. I sign myself up for races throughout the summer to stay motivated. I did a half marathon already and still have another half and a full marathon. I pretty much eat a paleo diet and feel great. I hunt a lot and have a huge garden so in the summer we dont buy much food at all. We also have chickens and pigs for other meat and eggs.

02-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I got hit by a car riding my bike last summer so I have been training hard to make up for the time off. I lift 4 days a week varying upper body, core, legs. I run between 12 and 15 miles a week on the treadmill and a half marathon every three weeks (outdoors summer, indoor track winter) On top of that I try to shoot 5 or 6 nights a week.

I cut a lot of carbs out of my diet and added a post work out protein shake for recovery. Being mindful of calorie intake and what kinds of food I eat has helped a lot. More salad and steak, less pasta and dairy. For the last year I have been lifting for tone and endurance, not for mass. I have leaned out well this year and gained lots of strength. Kettle bells give a super workout and lots of strength in stabilizing muscles.

Training to be a better bowhunter in the mountains has been a gigantic driving force for me. Since I committed to train for my fall hunts and made it a priority in my life about 14 months ago I dropped 105lbs, gained muscles mass and strength, and feel amazing. September 2012 I could run a half mile on the treadmill at 6mph, gasping, sweating, and be dead after. Last weekend I ran a half marathon at the local track in 1:34 without breaking stride once.

Timberstalker
02-12-2014, 06:42 PM
I am slowly getting back to exercising. I had a pretty painful back injury a year ago and fell way behind. I hope the back pain continues to stay moderate and manageable so I can get in shape by summer. P-90x is what I do to get in shape.

25contender
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Hopefully I Will be back on my workout schedule in about 2 more weeks. Tomorrow will be two weeks post op and really starting to feel pretty good. I don't want to start back to early. I have a apt. With the surgeon on the 26 to get the go or no go with the workouts. Cant wait to get back into it again.

Timberstalker
02-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Had my annual physical last week and my Dr was pleased. He scheduled a treadmill test as I have never had one. Took it yesterday and passed it too. It really took a lot of effort to get my heart rate up to (and over) 150. Dr was again very pleased. He said I'm in as good shape as most 50 year old he tests....I'm 71! The workout I'm doing are really making a difference.

Thats great CC! My dad turns 70 today, he can barely walk. He has had 3 hip replacements, back & shoulder surgerys and has a fused ankle. It seems I have the same genetics by the MRI of my back, I hope to be more like yourself than my dad @ 70 exercise and diet is going to be a way of life for me wether I like it or not.

Ikeepitcold
02-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I started about 5 weeks ago with the wife doing the pailio diet. I'm down 14lbs as of this morning. I've been sick for three weeks and haven't got on the exercise equipment yet. Brought in the bike, stair stepper and cleared off the tread mill. I really don't like using the equipment. I much prefer to take the dogs out for hikes behind my home in the hills. I like to train in how I hunt.

Kevin Root
02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Since October, 2013 I'm eating better and hitting the gym each day during the work week and not missing a day. Now if I can just make it a lifestyle change this time. I’ve dropped close to 30 pounds now and leaned up quite a bit. I’ve learned in the last month and seen how really important food intake is and what I eat really affects my results during workouts.

I walk briskly and wear a medium weight pack 40 pounds as a workout aid, walking revolving stairs and a 15% treadmill as a warm up to then working out with some weights. My goal is not to get big or run marathons but just to try and make going up hills a strength more than a weakness and also increase my endurance levels.

Lots of good ideas on the thread so far. Thanks to everyone and keep them coming. I want to be doing this backcountry adventure stuff as long as I can.

“Every man dies, not every man really lives.”
William Wallace
-Braveheart