PDA

View Full Version : Crispi or Kenetrek.

dp1077
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Looking for a new backcountry hiking boot and want to know everybodies thoughts good or bad. Looking for better support than my Danner Hawks. Thanks in advance, Danny.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't get hung up on a brand. Try on a bunch until you find one that holds your heel in place and lets your toes wiggle a little.

Even then, be prepared to ditch them and try another kind later.

Boots are like a marriage, you got to find the right match.

dp1077
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
My marriage right now is with Danner, just looking at other brands and wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the Kenetreks and Crispi boots. Looking for something with more ankle support than the Danner Hawks.

CoHiCntry
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I agree with BB... the hard part is finding a place, or places, to try on several good boots. I know sportsmans warehouse carries Kenetrek. I'm not sure who has Crispi? I'd like to try on a pair of those myself.

labman
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Lowa tibet pro gtx if you order from zappos free shipping both ways if you do not like them.

Ikeepitcold
05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Lowa tibet pro gtx if you order from zappos free shipping both ways if you do not like them.

I also have Lowa Tibets and Sheep Hunters. I LOVE them! It my boot relationship! Hahahha they take some getting used to because of the stiff sole but they are so comfortable for me. I also would get ride of the stock insoles for some good aftermarket ones like Superfeet, or the Synergies from Lathrop an Sons. I have my eye on the Crispi for my next set.

dp1077
05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks , I will look into the Lowa's also, I think a 8" to 9" tall boot is better for backpacking.From what I have learned is that when you put a pack on your back, a 10" to 11" boot puts more strain on your shins and knees. Has anyone else have this problem?

Ikeepitcold
05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Look at the Lowa Sheep hunters.

dp1077
05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Ikeepitcold, What is the isulated weight of the 2, ie 400gr. or more, or are they un-insulated.

Ikeepitcold
05-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Sheep hunter is 400 I think and the tibets are uninsulated. But I think the tibets are shorter then what your looking for

Ikeepitcold
05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I just checked I've had the sheep hunters since 06 so the tags are worn off but I'm pretty sure it's 400grams. I know for sure the Tibets are uninsulated.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-11-2012, 07:12 AM
The sheep hunters are 400g.

I had a pair that were good quality boots, but the fit wasn't quite right and I ended up with blisters on hard hiking days. Fit is key.

hvfd21walker
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
I have ordered a pair of Hanwags from lathrop and sons. I have tried the Kenetreks and they rub blisters on my heels no matter how much I wore them. BB is right. Find a pair that works for you.

Fink
05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
I kave ordered a pair of Hanwags from lathrop and sons. I have tried the Kenetreks and they rub blisters on my heels no matter how much I wore them. BB is right. Find a pair that works for you.

I just ordered a pair of boots from Lathrop and Sons yesterday. So far I'm very impressed with their customer service. James Lathrop is a very nice guy.

Did you buy the gold package for your Hanwags? As attentive as they are regarding the bronze package, I can't imagine what the service must be like for the gold package.

mcriss3134
05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I would recommend Boots by White's. The Centennial Hiker. Fully handmade to your measurements, completely re-buildable for a lifetime of service. I believe they are the finest boots made. Break in will take 100-150 hours but well worth it.

dp1077
05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks mcriss3134, I have had White's and they just don't agree with my feet. I have had them for work and for hunting.

Shaun
05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I would recommend Boots by White's. The Centennial Hiker. Fully handmade to your measurements, completely re-buildable for a lifetime of service. I believe they are the finest boots made. Break in will take 100-150 hours but well worth it.

You dont break white's in. White's break you in. That was everybodys opinion when I was working for Cal Fire

labman
05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Has anybody tried the new danner crater rim boots? They were 2012 gear of year winner.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
You dont break white's in. White's break you in. That was everybodys opinion when I was working for Cal Fire

I still have my White's Smokejumpers from my wildland firefighting days 14 years ago. They are quite comfortable now, but that break-in was a b****. We called it "White bite" back then.

cali_hornhunter
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I still have my White's Smokejumpers from my wildland firefighting days 14 years ago. They are quite comfortable now, but that break-in was a b****. We called it "White bite" back then.

It's still white bite it sucks lol

Shaun
05-11-2012, 08:22 PM
It's still white bite it sucks lol

Yep still called white bite. Ive had buddys wear them in the shower just to help break them in

labman
05-12-2012, 06:38 AM
There is a really good article in Elk Hunter magazine I just got in the mail that overviews all the big boot manufactures.

Grantbvfd
05-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Not sure if it was on this forum or not Danny, but there has been some major issues with customer service for crispi. Something to consider if you are wanting to order boots before you try them on.
One of the lineman on my crew at Par had the Kenetreks and loved them. Heard really good things about Lowas as well. I have the Meindl Denalis and love them. It's all about what fits you. Good luck.

dp1077
05-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks Grant, From what I have researched the last couple of days I will be going with the Kenetreks or Lowas. I think I am heading up in a couple of weeks to put the cameras out and do some shedding. Whats your schedule look like?

dp1077
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
labman, I haven't received mine in the mail yet, thanks for the heads up!

Grantbvfd
05-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Working every weekend till the middle of June except memorial weekend and we will be at clearlake.

dp1077
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I think I will be heading up Thursday night and coming home Friday night or Saturday morning on Memorial weekend, Have fun at Clearlake.

Jon Boy
05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
. I have the Meindl Denalis and love them. It's all about what fits you. Good luck.

I tried the denalis on at cabelas and really like the way they fit me. Havent heard a whole lot about them but they seem like a good stiff mnt boot for a bit cheaper than most others. Do they hold up well over time?

eye in sky
05-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I own the Crispi Nevadas. They are the most comfortable boots I own. I have synergy footbeds in them. I've tried the Meindls and the Kennetreks also. Like others have said, try several different brands and see what fits your feet the best. I really like my Crispi's. They are very well made. I think scheels will be selling them in June if you want to try them on.

Grantbvfd
05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I tried the denalis on at cabelas and really like the way they fit me. Havent heard a whole lot about them but they seem like a good stiff mnt boot for a bit cheaper than most others. Do they hold up well over time?

Very good boot. They hold up very well and don't get enough attention that they truly deserve.

dp1077
05-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Grant, are the Denalis anything like the Meindl Line boots?

Grantbvfd
05-12-2012, 07:08 PM
They are way more comfortable IMO. It feels like you are putting your foot inside a tempurpedic mattress on the inside, yet a rugged mountain boot on the outside. I think they are a great boot for $270.

The only 2 other boots I may consider are the Lowa hunter GTX extreme or the kenetrek mountain extremes. Both these boots are a little more rugged (what I think you are looking for Danny) and built more for heavy loads. I may also consider the Lowa sheep hunter which I believe you can only get at schnees.

hvfd21walker
05-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I just ordered a pair of boots from Lathrop and Sons yesterday. So far I'm very impressed with their customer service. James Lathrop is a very nice guy.

Did you buy the gold package for your Hanwags? As attentive as they are regarding the bronze package, I can't imagine what the service must be like for the gold package.
James is unbelievable with his customer service. I ordered,boots,socks,footbeds and wax. I have talked to him for a total of about 2 hours so he could figure out what would work for me as I have problems with my heels. I cant wait to get them. They were all out of my size so its taking me an extra 2 weeks.

GameSlayer
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I love my Kenetreks! I used to be a danner elk hunter guy and finally jumped ship and I am glad. I have had the mountain extreme 400s for a year now, and am hoping to get the hard scrabble hikers for the warmer weather soon.

Matthoek21
05-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Anyone snatch up the Crispi's on Camofire? $210.00 for the Kanada's. Looks like a good deal. Wonder if I should pull the trigger. Checked out the review on ireviewgear.com. Looks like what I am looking for but hate buying something I can't try on. Oh well anyone know of any other deals out there right now?

Ikeepitcold
05-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Anyone snatch up the Crispi's on Camofire? $210.00 for the Kanada's. Looks like a good deal. Wonder if I should pull the trigger. Checked out the review on ireviewgear.com. Looks like what I am looking for but hate buying something I can't try on. Oh well anyone know of any other deals out there right now?

Yep I sure did! Just got them yesterday and I have to say I really like them! I've been die hard Lowa for years and now I think there is going to be a change of heart after some break in.

WillPower
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Kenetreks's are a soild boot. I like my Mountain Extreme 400's, however they have a very different approach to customer service, so if you approach them for any kind of service on your boots, expect a very different customer service response............. I just bought me a new pair of Hanwag's and looking forward to giving them a go.

WP

Elk Hunter
04-22-2013, 11:40 PM
My only experience is with the Cabelas Alaska Hunter and the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. The Alaska Hunter was a good boot, but did take some time to break-in. After numerous 65+ mile hikes on the CDT, and backpacking elk hunts, they finally wore out. Replaced these with the Kenetrek Mountian Extreme 400. The very first thing out of the box, hiked 6 miles, gaining 2500', then back down. No break-in, no blisters, and no problems except the 400 grams of insulation was a bit much. Very comfortable and great support, but I now also have the uninsulated version of the Mountain Extreme. Same experience. These have been on numerous hikes, including several 65+ mile hikes of the CDT, climbed several 14ers, and several backpack elk hunting trips. Climbing 14ers isn't always the best depending on the conditions. A little to stiff to "smear" but they never slipped and provide great support.

WYcoyote
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I ended up with the Meindel Denali also. I wore them in a Cabelas store for an hour before buying them. They were great on my sheep hunt. 0 issues. The price was a bonus as I would have paid more for the right boot.
BB has it right however. Some preconceived boots I thought were good did not pan out. Throw brand names out the window and get what fits you.

Ikeepitcold
04-24-2013, 08:53 AM
3 deer hunts and a few scouting trip and many coyote hunts and I love the Crispi. I absulutly agree the best boot is the one that fits.

az.mountain runner
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I have Fred flintstone feet , fat,square,and thick , I buy lowa's they work for me have used them since 2008 2az. Elk hunts and 2 Idaho elk hunts very comfortable they work for me.