PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Scope?

Sabot
05-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm heading West to hunt ELK/Mule Deer for the first time in 10 years this fall, and I'm bringing my 300WSM. Currently, I have a Mark 4 6.5-20 Illuninated TMR on top, but I've never hunted with this scope - it came off of one of my target guns. Been thinking about selling it and buying one of the new Leupolds with CDS turrets or maybe a Nikon with a BDC reticle which are both intended more for hunting than the Mark 4. Thoughts?

Colorado Cowboy
05-12-2012, 09:40 PM
There is really no right or wrong scope. The most important thing is you MUST have confidence in your equipment. Above all, burn some ammo! Shoot as much as you can with your rifle of choice, it needs to be your best friend!

Bitterroot Bulls
05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I hunted for a few years with the mildot version of that scope, and it accounted for several mulies, antelope, and elk. Overall, it was a very nice scope, but in the end a few things bothered me enough that I replaced it with a more hunting friendly scope.

The few things:

1. Length/weight - it was a big long scope.
2. Turret size - tough to get in and out of a scabbard (whether horse or Eberlestock).
3. Magnification - wanted a little lower low end, and the small exit pupil on the high end made head position and low light tough.

I ended up replacing it with a Swarovski Z3, which is an excellent hunting-friendly scope. The new VX-6 series from Leupold is also very nice. I really like the value that Vortex offers in their Viper/ Viper HS line of scopes. Sightron make the excellent 2 Big Sky Scopes. There are also other great scopes out there.

What is your budget and expected uses for this scope?

Species? Terrain? Foot or horseback? Range? Budget?

I was able to sell my Mark 4 for a good price second hand. They hold value very well.

Sabot
05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd like to be in the $600- $700 range on a new scope. I'll be on foot some, but not enought that scope weight should factor in. I'm thinking about a VX-2 or 3 with the new CDS system. I'd like a 4-12, 4-14, or 6-18 ideally. Thing is, I am going to start shooting with it in a week or two, and whatever glass is on it then will be what stays.

Colorado Cowboy
05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
In my previous post I did not make any recommendations for several reasons. Everybody has their favorites that work for them, they don't necessarily perform the same for everyone. Everyones expectations and needs are different. Try getting a recommendation for a new truck! I personally shoot nothing but Leupolds and have done so for over 30 years, they meet my needs and expectations. I own a dozen or so and all are VX IIIs except for a Compact 3x9 on my .17 HMR. I have a suggestion...go to your local shooting range and ask other shooters what they use and why and then look thru the individual scopes. Then make your decision. Remember that they all are not created equal, and usually you get what you pay for.

HuskyMusky
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Leupold VX6 2-12x42mm with the B&C reticle...

2x for low end magnification
12x for plenty of upper end magnification for longer shots.

B&C reticle to match your 300wsm out to 500yds etc...

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-2-12x42mm-cds/

I wouldn't even consider a leupold less than the VX3, and I'm assuming the VX6 is a nice step up from the vx3, still at around $800.

BKC
05-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm heading West to hunt ELK/Mule Deer for the first time in 10 years this fall, and I'm bringing my 300WSM. Currently, I have a Mark 4 6.5-20 Illuninated TMR on top, but I've never hunted with this scope - it came off of one of my target guns. Been thinking about selling it and buying one of the new Leupolds with CDS turrets or maybe a Nikon with a BDC reticle which are both intended more for hunting than the Mark 4. Thoughts?
If your headed out west to Colorado, Illuminated scopes( by means of batteries) are illegal. FYI

Sabot
05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
If your headed out west to Colorado, Illuminated scopes( by means of batteries) are illegal. FYI

Just downloaded the big game regs and I don't see this as true for rifles. It is only mentioned in muzzle loader season. Can you point me to that reg?

Colorado Cowboy
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
I checked to new regs also, can't find that anywhere.

BKC
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Just downloaded the big game regs and I don't see this as true for rifles. It is only mentioned in muzzle loader season. Can you point me to that reg?
Your right! I see it as part of muzzleloaders and hand held bows but not part of centerfire rifles. I always thought it was accross the board. Nevermind.

Bitterroot Bulls
05-14-2012, 08:20 AM
I'd like to be in the $600- $700 range on a new scope. I'll be on foot some, but not enought that scope weight should factor in. I'm thinking about a VX-2 or 3 with the new CDS system. I'd like a 4-12, 4-14, or 6-18 ideally. Thing is, I am going to start shooting with it in a week or two, and whatever glass is on it then will be what stays.

If you aren't going to be shooting groups extensively, I would think a little less magnification would be good, especially if you are using a reticle for holdovers, as they will typically be subtended at or near the maximum magnification.

A Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 or 3.5-10X44 with the Rapid Z 600 or 800 reticle would be an excellent all-around choice.

The Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 or 4-12X50 w/ BRH reticle would also be a great combo w/ your cartridge.

I like Husky's VX-6 recommendation, but I am not a big fan of the tapered windage bars on the B&C reticle. The CDS dial and duplex reticle would be the way I would go with that scope.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

ThreeTikkas
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
What he (Bitterroot) said. 2X or 3X on the bottom. 12X really is plenty for the top end. I routinly compete @ 400yds in a class that has a 10X limit. I'm getting 2 1/2" and 3" groups from a sporter 25/06 at 10X out to 400 yds. Granted,this is from a bench and not field shooting,but the magnifcation is adequate. You can set yourself up for long shots no doubt. I like to watch long country. Who doesn't? But, the elk we get into always seem to be well under 400yds. More like 150 to 200. Less in the timber. In an effort to loose some weight,I'm considering a VXIII 6X for the 338 T3. A 2.5X - 8X VXIII might just be the best Leupold yet for the money as a meat and potatoes scope. I'm not a big fan of the B&C reticle,but I can see the merit in it. Just a little old fashioned I guess. I do know that scabbards can be a real problem with the big glass with target turrets. Better make sure of whats going on there.