PDA

View Full Version : California Deer Hunters

twp1224
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I know there are better places to hunt deer than California, but there are those of us that live here and cannot afford an out of state hunt. Where do you live in California and what areas are you hunting?
I'm in Central California (Bakersfield) and hunt mainly in the Golden Trout Wilderness D8 area. I have taken some good California deer and hope this coming season I can add to my list.

BADbuckfever
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey twp1224, yeah I agree some other states have better populations of huntable deer, but I'm in the same boat as you. I am in Orange county so I hunt D13 Los Padres NF and A22 an archery only hunt in San Diego county.

I've thought about hunting D8 and have drove through there a couple of years ago starting out of Porterville to the NF and then south through the Kern river drainage to your neck of the woods. That's a beautiful area with good water and habitat. I dont know about the deer population there. I wasn't sure about switching to a new area after spending about 5 years in D13. I hate to admit I finally got a shot off (and missed) at a nice forky this past season in D13 after being skunked since I began. I started deer hunting in 2002. Had a couple close calls but no deer down in D13 for me. I just need to put more time and energy into the hunt, the deer are there. Every year I get closer, I learned to hunt on my own and hunt by myself so its trial and error style. Ive made lots of mistakes but haven't given up yet.

How do you hunt D8? Is it spot and stalk or ?

indianw
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
I live just north of Sacramento and have hunted the North Yolly Bollys and the Trinity Alps mostly since the early 70's and have killed some nice bucks. I hunted Idaho in 92 killed a nice buck and went on my first DIY backpack Elk hunt with my oldest son last year to colorado going back again this year.

Firearrow
03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
I live in Sac, and have hunted my "begining years in X6b, and I drew X7a once". I shot some smaller bucks in the X zones, then the backpack hunting bug bit me. I spent a few years in the Wilderness areas in the Trinites, and pass up on some smaller bucks, but saw some nice 3 points, just could not get the shot. I have been going out of state pst few years, but I know I need to get back tot he Trinites to get my Blacktail.

twp1224
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I was raised in Porterville and know the Sierra National Forest and Golden Trout Wilderness pretty good now. For 20 plus years i would pack in by horse in late October and hunt the migration. Took some really nice bucks. Then 2 years ago I wanted to extend my season, so I started archery hunting the high country. It's spot and stalk hunting for sure. If your interested I can turn you on to some good areas to start in. Let me know.

Hey twp1224, yeah I agree some other states have better populations of huntable deer, but I'm in the same boat as you. I am in Orange county so I hunt D13 Los Padres NF and A22 an archery only hunt in San Diego county.

I've thought about hunting D8 and have drove through there a couple of years ago starting out of Porterville to the NF and then south through the Kern river drainage to your neck of the woods. That's a beautiful area with good water and habitat. I dont know about the deer population there. I wasn't sure about switching to a new area after spending about 5 years in D13. I hate to admit I finally got a shot off (and missed) at a nice forky this past season in D13 after being skunked since I began. I started deer hunting in 2002. Had a couple close calls but no deer down in D13 for me. I just need to put more time and energy into the hunt, the deer are there. Every year I get closer, I learned to hunt on my own and hunt by myself so its trial and error style. Ive made lots of mistakes but haven't given up yet.

How do you hunt D8? Is it spot and stalk or ?

BADbuckfever
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
TWP1224 - PM sent

Whitetail101
03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't live in California anymore, moved back to my home state of PA, but I had a couple areas that I had great sucess in.

The one area was in D-19 in the San Bernadino National Forest near the town of Mountain Center. The other area was D-7(I have heard they changed it to an X-zone for 2011) in the Cleveland National Forest. I had two spots here. One was up Hwy 74 above Lake Elsinore(this may not have been D-7 as it has been so long since I was in California), the other was along S-2 Hwy just off the split with Hwy 79near the town of Julian. There was a WMA and some BLM land in here that held good numbers of deer.

BADbuckfever
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Whitetail101 - is that San Felipe WA? The CA DFG says its open for hunting turkeys in the spring also. Do you have any info on turkeys there? I never hunted that spot, but with so much private land around Julian the turkey and deer dance around the public land making it difficult to hunt them. I think I will check out this SFWA for turkeys next weekend on the opener.

That's too funny, you hunted D15 too! Ive been hunting off "Ortega HWY" 74 for several years now with no luck yet. Cool to see you on Eastmans!

Whitetail101
03-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Whitetail101 - is that San Felipe WA? The CA DFG says its open for hunting turkeys in the spring also. Do you have any info on turkeys there? I never hunted that spot, but with so much private land around Julian the turkey and deer dance around the public land making it difficult to hunt them. I think I will check out this SFWA for turkeys next weekend on the opener.

That's too funny, you hunted D15 too! Ive been hunting off "Ortega HWY" 74 for several years now with no luck yet. Cool to see you on Eastmans!

Yes, the area was San Felipe WMA! I never saw any turkey in there, but it was a honey hole for dove and quail.

For turkey I went further down 79 toward Julian to a spot adjacent to Eagle Peak Ranch on Eagle Peak road. This is Cleveland National Forest and was a honey hole for turkey. I can't remember exactly where along Eagle Peak Road the spot was, but I do know you went past the entrance to Eagle Peak Ranch to get to it.

From what I remember, there was a trail that branched off to the right off Eagle Peak Road and went down the hill into the valley where I would setup camp and hunt further back the trail within a 1/2 mile of the campsite. I remember there being a pond in the area, but I don't know if it is still there today as it has been 8 years since I hunted there. I do remember if you started down over the hill on Eagle Peak Road that you went too far, as the trail if it is still there was at the top of the hill.

If you manage to find the spot, be careful of free ranging cattle. Been more than one time that I hunted there that I was charged by a big steer in the thick brush.

good luck

BADbuckfever
03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
WT101 - I know where you are talking about (I think). Thanks for the info. I'll post up the pics when I score.

Rob P
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I also live in Sacramento. I've always hunted D-5, but in past years I was lucky enough to draw X-12 two years in a row, until the PP system. Now I have Max points for deer and I've been trying to draw M-3. I've been out of state a few times. I plan to backpack into hunt SW colorado again this year for deer, maybe OTC elk if I don't draw my deer tag. I belong to Maya Archers in Roseville, so if any of you Sacramento area guys are interested you should look them up. It great to have a club in the area.

elkmtngear
03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
This one was from what was originally zone X1, Northeastern California, near Mount Shasta

Best of Luck,
Jeff

twp1224
03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
This one was from what was originally zone X1, Northeastern California, near Mount Shasta

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Nice buck!

twp1224
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Here are some deer that were taken in D8 of the past few years.
577 2004
576 2005
578 2006

BADbuckfever
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow! Excellent bucks. I am reading that there are no more bucks in SNF. I guess you guys are the ones killing all the bucks. LOL. You sure know how to get the blood pressure up with those photos. I am getting excited for the hunt already. Dang, you would have to post those pics up. Got any more???? That's why I'm "BAD buck fever." I got it bad. Thanks!

twp1224
03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a few more I have taken, but most are forks or 2x3's. I have been rifle hunting the same area for 21 years. My grandfather started taking me when I was 9 and when I was 12 I took my first fork. 2004-2006 were our best years. I took a nice 20" fork with my bow back when I was 17 then put the bow down and started rifle hunting again. 2009 I decided to try and extend my season by picking up a bow again. I had some great close encounters with a nice 4x3 and 4x4 last year. Got within 50 yards and the wind swirled on me and blew any chances of a shot. 2011 I have decided to stay in longer, so I can increase my odds. Looking at a 4-7 day trip instead of a 3-4 day trip. Guess I will have to wait a few more months before I know it worked or not.

Ikeepitcold
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Those are some nice bucks!
I live in Reno Nv and want to try to draw a X7B or X7A tag. Ive been going throought the F&G web site and I cant find out anything thats clear to me on aplications. I dont see were I can apply on line like most states. Do I have to get a hard copy, fill it out and mail it in? Also were can I get a hard copy if that is the case and when are they available?
Any info would be great thanx!

Do any of you guys try for Nv?

I have lots of family in the Gridley and Biggs area. I really enjoy the duck hunting in the rice fields and the phesant hunting as well. I have gone to Calinga and hunted pigs a few times and had some great fun doing that. No deer yet but drool over the country in X7B.

BADbuckfever
03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Ikeepitcold - Yeah, you can't apply on-line from what I see. I would call the number below to start with to avoid delays. Also, this link should help get you where your going:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html#GLQ

You will want to apply before the early June deadline for premium deer tags drawn by lottery. You may have to call the "license and revenue branch office" (916) 928-5805 to find out how to get them to mail you an application for the deer tag drawing.
It says they are working on an online system coming soon. Good luck!

Ikeepitcold
03-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Great! Thankyou so much for the info!

scros10
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm also from Bakersfield and usually hunt D-8 and D-9 archery and rifle. The last few years I have spent my season in d-9. I've done the backpacking thing in Idaho and would like to do something like that soon in CA. I'm building my preference points and am going to take a swing at a good X-zone in the next 2 years. Hopefully i'll have a good story to tell you guys this year. Now off to Idaho for my spring bear and turkey hunt...

BADbuckfever
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
SCROS10 - good luck! post up some pics of your hunts when you get back. Hope you score on both.

long hunter
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Just purchased my 2012 lic. one deer tag and applied for elk and antelope.$98.00 for that. The 2012 hunting lic has gone up to $43.00. I only paid $65.00 for my nonresedent huntinting lic from utah. At this rate I stand a better chance of hunting quality animals out of state for less money.:mad:

goindeep
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm from northern California and I have drawn 2 X zone archery tags the last 2 years, been chasing 170+ bucks each time. There's some good bucks in Cali, you just have to work for them.

modoc squeek shooter
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi guys I am new to the forum, 66 yrs old, been hunting bucks in calif since i was 12. I was a cowboy/cattleman by profession, seen a lot of real good bucks in cali, got my share of them lol. I moved to Modoc county about a year ago from the Sacramento valley. I drew x5b the first year it was a draw, atthat time it was 3 pts. or better, got a darn nice buck 2nd. morning of the season after I had passed up 9 legal ones. Hope to draw x2 this year, if not I will just hunt d3, it will be more of a camping trip lol. But have got lucky in d3.Oh before I forget the sage rat shooting is great here.

dustyboots
06-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm from Chico generally hunt B zones backpacking in to wilderness areas and also X zones when I draw. Also hunt A zone early when I get an AO tag. Used to hunt C zone and G1 a lot but not willing to give up a chance a t x zones since they made them premium tags.

BigSurArcher
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Everyone who chose a C zone with their second choice got it last year. Something to consider since you will still get a bonus point or a chance for an X zone with your first choice.

Drhorsepower
06-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I grew up in susanville ca now live in reno nv. Good bucks in Cali. I still put in for Cali. Hoping to draw an x zone next year. Points only this year because I am having a son in late august. It is expensive to apply but I think well worth it and you get alot of the money back. Also I like the fact that a non res has just as good as a chance as resident. I know that's not the case antelope, sheep, and elk though. Good luck to all that applied. 11 more days?

Gamehog
06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
California Draw Results are out!! Good Luck,,,

elkmtngear
06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey, Ricky, I couldn't find draw results on their webpage.....do you have a link?

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Gamehog
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey Jeff, https://www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales/CustomerSearch/Begin see if that works.

elkmtngear
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks, worked great! Archery Buck in X1.................Woohoo!!!!!

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Gamehog
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Sweet!! I got drawn for X8....:)

elkmtngear
06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Awesome, Congrats, Man!!!

Best of Luck,
Jeff

cowboy105
06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Got drawn for the bow hunt in X12. Lets see if we can make it 3 for 3. Pumped!!!!!

twp1224
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Just checked and I got my G38 tag!!!!

Gamehog
06-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Congrats guys!!

sjsmallfield
06-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats to all of you who drew tags! It will be D3-5 again for me.

Gamehog
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey Scott, you can come with me I'm probably going to need a spotter and cameraman.

dp1077
06-17-2011, 05:06 PM
No luck for me, Maybe next year!! It's B-zone for me.

dustyboots
06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Got lucky and drew X5A rifle hunt with only 1 point!!

Drhorsepower
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Got lucky and drew X5A rifle hunt with only 1 point!!

I'm so jealous right now. It took my father in law 8 years to draw that tag.

dustyboots
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
It took me 7 the first year I drew it in 2009

Drhorsepower
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Can't draw it if you don't put in right?

BOHNTR
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Here's a few California Mule Deer I photographed in the Eastern Sierra Mountain Range over the Thanksgiving weekend. Some really good bucks for the Golden State.

BOHNTR
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
and a few more......

Ikeepitcold
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Great deer. I didn't see anything close to that in X7b. I didn't have a tag but was in the area a lot looking for bears.

Drhorsepower
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Great bucks. Shhhhhhh....... CAlifornia doesn't have good deer hunting! Need not apply!

cali_hornhunter
12-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Bohntr where did u take those im going to guess probably in the area of the G3 hunt just curious

Kevin Root
12-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Those are some nice pictures BOHNTR. The Eastern Sierra Mountain Range, Mono County and up to the Oregon border has some big bucks.

Colorado Cowboy
12-03-2011, 07:26 AM
I was born and raised in Southern California (can't help capitolizing the S as this is where I went to college & played football!). In fact I am a 4th generation, now live in SW Colorado for the past 11 years after I retired. Killed my first deer in 1953 when I was 12. I remember when there were just 2 deer hunting zones...coastal (early) and inland (late). Shot a lot of deer in the Bridgeport area and near Mammoth. My family started doing a packin hunt thru Red's Meadows Pack Station near Mammoth in the 40's and still do it today. Same camp in the Ansel Adams Wilderness area for over 60 years.California has some great bucks if you are willing to work for them. I have shot somewhere around 40 deer there and have a couple of good ones on my great room wall. Everyone here in Colorado can't believe they are California Muleys. (one scored 187+ in 1963). If anyone wants to see some great deer from CA, there is a bar in Rio Vista (can't remember the name) that has around 50 mounts on display including some real hogs!.I've shot deer from Ventura to Susanville and even in the Mojave Desert. The last few years (in th 90"s)I didn't see as many big bucks, but my cousins tell me they are still there, you just have to get after them. Sounds like Colorado & Wyoming too!

Ikeepitcold
12-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Great bucks. Shhhhhhh....... CAlifornia doesn't have good deer hunting! Need not apply!

Hahahhahahhahahahha that's funny DR.

Ikeepitcold
12-03-2011, 07:55 AM

I found this buck by Taylorsville about 2 years ago. Seems to alwasys be some good bucks in the area.

sjsmallfield
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
You guys are giving away all of our secrets! :p

Ikeepitcold
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
You guys are giving away all of our secrets! :p

No one knew it was a secret till you said something. :)

Jerry
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM

I found this buck by Taylorsville about 2 years ago. Seems to alwasys be some good bucks in the area.
We used to live in Genesee in the early 50's. Saw some huge bucks back then!
My dad got buck fever on one of those monsters, racked the bolt on his rifle five times saying bang each time he did, and never once pulled the trigger. He couldn't understand how he missed until we showed him the five live rounds on the ground at his feet! He didn't think it was as funny as his buddies did!

WhskyDistiller
12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
A Zone black tail from this yr. 20 wide but real tall in the back

HuntWYODon
12-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey Drhorsepower !
I've seen you in the Wy. section ! I've hunted all over Ca. since I was a kid for the last 35 yrs. . Taken some bucks but in 1983 I went on a hunt in Wy. and one in Ut. and that kind of killed my appitite for deer hunting in Ca..Have hunted both every yr. since. Since then I've hunted Co., Az., Nv. and Wa..Even bought 40 acres in Wy. back in 1996 and haven't even hunted on it ! It's deer area 89 and antelope 72. I hunted San Bernardino Nat. Forest for 20 + yrs. then Moved near San Diego. Not as good here. A lot of brush ! Been getting A22 tags last few yrs. for somthing to do after getting back from Wy. and Ut. I used to backpack into Whitewater Canyon (D-14) for deer. shot a few decent bucks there. A lot of bear there too. I drew X9A in 1996. Ended up with a Fork Horn...Hunted X9B a few times. Never got anything. Noticed last yr. that you can only get it on 1st coice now ! Used to be able to draw last choice. Think a lot of hunters are not going out of state lately. Been reading all these posts. Great to see a lot of fellow Ca. hunters ! I think we hunt the hardest ! I know. Been at it for a long time and hunted out of state a long time. I have also hunted D7 a couple times and D8 once with no luck. Have hunted D14 and D19 a lot back when both side of HWY 10 San Bernardino Nat. Forest was all D11 ! Then they split it to D14 north and D19 south. Anyway, great to hear/read all of you posts ! I'm not alone ! Oh ! BTW. I drew a bighorn tag for San Gorgonio hunt in 2002 , the yr. they went to a point system and 3 times as many people put in for sheep. Shot a 163 in. ram 1/2003. Have max pts. for elk and antelope. Can't draw that dang elk tag though !
Don

HuntWYODon
12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Know you know why it's so hard to draw a Goodale hunt tag ! Nice pics ! Funny how you don't see those bucks in X12.X9A and X9B until the winter down at base of Eastern Sierras. I think they are all hanging out in Nv. before then !

HuntWYODon
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey Colorado Cowboy !
See you in the Wyoming section a lot too !
Another smart guy that got out of Ca. !
The deer herd in the Sierra's from Bishop to Bridgeport isn't like it was when you were here. You were here in the hay day !
I love hearing hearing about back in the day hunting. Always makes me wish I could have witnessed it.
Take care and tell me more !
Don

Drhorsepower
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey Drhorsepower !
I've seen you in the Wy. section ! I've hunted all over Ca. since I was a kid for the last 35 yrs. . Taken some bucks but in 1983 I went on a hunt in Wy. and one in Ut. and that kind of killed my appitite for deer hunting in Ca..Have hunted both every yr. since. Since then I've hunted Co., Az., Nv. and Wa..Even bought 40 acres in Wy. back in 1996 and haven't even hunted on it ! It's deer area 89 and antelope 72. I hunted San Bernardino Nat. Forest for 20 + yrs. then Moved near San Diego. Not as good here. A lot of brush ! Been getting A22 tags last few yrs. for somthing to do after getting back from Wy. and Ut. I used to backpack into Whitewater Canyon (D-14) for deer. shot a few decent bucks there. A lot of bear there too. I drew X9A in 1996. Ended up with a Fork Horn...Hunted X9B a few times. Never got anything. Noticed last yr. that you can only get it on 1st coice now ! Used to be able to draw last choice. Think a lot of hunters are not going out of state lately. Been reading all these posts. Great to see a lot of fellow Ca. hunters ! I think we hunt the hardest ! I know. Been at it for a long time and hunted out of state a long time. I have also hunted D7 a couple times and D8 once with no luck. Have hunted D14 and D19 a lot back when both side of HWY 10 San Bernardino Nat. Forest was all D11 ! Then they split it to D14 north and D19 south. Anyway, great to hear/read all of you posts ! I'm not alone ! Oh ! BTW. I drew a bighorn tag for San Gorgonio hunt in 2002 , the yr. they went to a point system and 3 times as many people put in for sheep. Shot a 163 in. ram 1/2003. Have max pts. for elk and antelope. Can't draw that dang elk tag though !
Don

Hey don! It seems you have been all over the state! Im using ca as points right now. I will draw a good area next year or the year after. We will see.... I grew up in northern ca. Lassen county. You should post a pic of that ram!

Colorado Cowboy
12-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I'll tell you a story that probably will never be repeated. In 1957 we had a group of 22 that were hunting in the Bridgeport/Sonora Pass area. It was the last weekend of the late (inland) season and was the end of October. Pretty late when you think about the seasons today. Season was almost 2 months long. We were hunting up the river at Pickle Meadows near where the Marine Base is today. We hunted Friday, Sat & Su and got 21 bucks! Yep 21, with some real bruisers. The deer were migrating and my Dad & I estimated we saw around 400 in one herd moving thru the sage brush 4 to 500 yards away. They looked like ants with 6 or 8 bucks that looked as big as bull elk. My Dad & I each shot a 4 x 4 that were really great deer. The only reason we didn't 22 bucks was one of the group couldn't hit his butt. He missed 4 or 5 bucks. It was pretty awsome, especially for a 16 year old kid who played hooky from school.

I used to backpack into the East Fork of the San Gabriel River above the falls and used to see lots of sheep up there. My Grandfather use to hike in and hunt deer & fish the East Fork back in the 1920's. Things have changed a lot...and not for the better.

Incidentially, my Dad is 94 and still hunts. We are hoping he gets to go to Wyoming for goats with us this year. He lives in Yucaipa and hunts ducks at the Salton Sea regularly.

Those were really the good old days!

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey DR !
I'll try to figure out how to do it.

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey Colorado Cowboy !
That was an awesome story/hunt ! I think I would of had a heart attack ! I lived in Redlands right next door to Yuciapa for 21 yrs. From 1970 to 1991. My Dad, brother, aunt and uncle still live there. That's where I grew up hunting the San Bernardino Nat. Forest. I worked in Yuciapa for a few yrs. also. My son and I burned our points on antelope last year in Wy..We both got our bucks and buck deer too. I got a decent loper and deer. Both were his first. My 14th loper buck in Wy. ! Probably over 20 loper does. Filled a loper doe tag and buck deer tag this yr.. Buck was puney. Didn't see many this yr.. Lots of speed goats though ! The place where I shot my Ca.bighorn was South Fork of Whitewater River . San Bernardino Nat. Forest. South of Mt. San Gorgonio. Used to see bighorns in there all the time when hunting deer, long before the ever had a bighorn hunt there. They didn't fear people much back then. I remember getting 33 steps from 4 nice rams once. Two were very large. I know there have been sheep in the San Gabriel Mtns. for a long time. Awhile back disease knocked heck out of them, along with mtn. lions. Suppose that's what the haven't had a hunt there for them yet ???
Nice talking to you guys !

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 01:57 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]
Don't know if this will work. Tried to attach pic of ram.
Hey , it worked !
Screwed up and got a deer mount pic in there too.
was 2010 Wy. buck anyway...

Drhorsepower
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow what bruisers. It looks like the buck on the left in the background is the brother to the one you took a picture of!

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
I just down loaded 3 different pics and was typing in it and whamo ! It dissapeared ! Logged out an back in. Nothing. This site does weired things....The one in the back ground is a big 3x3 (actually 3x4) but from Book Cliffs , Ut.

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Couldn't get the clear pic of the loper to down load
These were 2010 Wy.

Drhorsepower
12-28-2011, 03:46 PM
That's a great antelope. Nice and heavy. You have some trophies here! Good job.

HuntWYODon
12-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks ! They are average. I have a house full of elk,deer and antelopre mounts. I've been divorced for last 16 yrs. ! LOL !

Kevin Root
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
I'll tell you a story that probably will never be repeated. In 1957 we had a group of 22 that were hunting in the Bridgeport/Sonora Pass area. It was the last weekend of the late (inland) season and was the end of October. Pretty late when you think about the seasons today. Season was almost 2 months long. We were hunting up the river at Pickle Meadows near where the Marine Base is today. We hunted Friday, Sat & Su and got 21 bucks! Yep 21, with some real bruisers. The deer were migrating and my Dad & I estimated we saw around 400 in one herd moving thru the sage brush 4 to 500 yards away. They looked like ants with 6 or 8 bucks that looked as big as bull elk. My Dad & I each shot a 4 x 4 that were really great deer. The only reason we didn't 22 bucks was one of the group couldn't hit his butt. He missed 4 or 5 bucks. It was pretty awsome, especially for a 16 year old kid who played hooky from school.

That was a cool story Colorado Cowboy and that surly was a hunt to remember for you. I've often wondered what it was like to be able to hunt there in those days. I have a friend who was stationed for several years at the Marine base you mention in the 80's. He has told me stories of those big deer herds in the hundreds in the migration as well east of the mountains foothills/flats in the sage. My friend and I both put in for the X12 zone still today. I have fond memories hunting them in the high mountain wilderness in X12 but it is getting harder to pull the zone in the draw. It seems to take 3 years now to draw there when years earlier before the preference point system it was not uncommon to get drawn most every year.

On a side note, I hope you get your wish and get drawn for your Colorado Desert Sheep tag in this coming season in 2012.

HuntWYODon
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Keven ,
3 yrs. to draw X12 ? Man you are lucky if you draw it every 3 yrs. ! I drew X9A in 2006. I was a little dissapointed at what I saw but !didn't have many days to hunt. Took off from there to Az. and arrowed an elk. Came back to X9A 2nd time and ended up shooting a fork horn. Was kind of funny though. I was staying at a cabin at Convict Lake with girlfriend and my son. My friend and his wife were in another cabin. He had shot a little dinky buck on the first trip. I told him that night I was getting up real early and going hunting in the morning. He said don't wake me up , I'll be hung over. Said no problem. Didn't have my quad on that trip so I drove the truck up the canyon to the south of the lake and hunted up in there for awhile. Just saw some does. Was driving out to go back to the cabin and some deer ran across the dirt road. I glassed them and there was a fork horn in with the does. I said what the heck, it's bigger than his. So I got out and dropped him. Gut him and threw it in back of truck and drove back to the cabin. He comes over and saw blood on my hands and saw the deer and saw way to go ! I said yeah, thanks for all you help ! LOL ! Anyway, I have only two pts. this yr. going in (I think) so most likely not possible to draw X!2. Hope you do !

Kevin Root
12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
HuntWYODon, I'm 2 points as well. So like you, I'd be suprised to get drawn. I wish it was an easier draw. I guess I've been lucky to get drawn as many times as I have. It sure was easier to draw for me before they started the preference point system. Best wishes to you on your draws and hunts in 2012!

HuntWYODon
12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Kevin,
Yeah the point system sure made it harder to draw. I have max pts. (9?) for elk and antelope. Sure would like to draw a Tule elk tag some day ! Funny, I mentioned in here before. I drew my bighorn tag in 2002, the year the went to the points system and 3 times as many people put in ! I've drawn a few good out of state tags since then but nothing good in Ca. except for the X9A tag in 2006 which wasn't so good . Good luck to you on your draws also ! Getting out of work here and goin home !
Take care
Don

Colorado Cowboy
12-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Tule Elk reminds me of my Dad and his Tule. Dad used to own a Sporting Goods store in Bellflower. He sold guns, camping and hunting & fishing stuff. When the state decided to have the 1st hunt (back in the 50's), my Dad drew the #1 bull tag! I went with him )I was a teenager). they had a mandatory orientation and Dad had to hunt with a biologist. After finding a small group of bulls, the F & G biologist told Pop which one to shoot. He wanted him to shoot a pretty old, skinny bull with a broken tine or 2. Dad picked the biggest one and put it down. I thought the biologist was going to have a stroke.He started yelling "You shot the wrong bull!" My Dad was very cool and told him he thought was the one he was supposed to shoot. Needless to say the F&G guy was not real happy, but Dad tagged it, gutted it and we took it home.My Dad gave the mount to the city of Downey for their Wilderness Park display and somebody stole it....at least that was the story. That was the first legal hunt in Owens Valley.

I just got a new printer/scanner and am having some sort of problem scanning. When I get the bugs out, I'll scan some old photos and post them.

HuntWYODon
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Man Colorado,
You have some old history stored there ! Love those old stories !
1st Tule elk shot in Ca.. Can't beat that one !

Shaun
01-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Hey guys new to the eastmans forums. Was browsing through here and reading what everybody had to say. I hunt D-7 and A-16 (archery X-9A) I have seen good bucks come out of D-7 but also very small bucks (that were questionable) I on the other hand have been skunked till this day in that zone. A-16 on the other hand we have taken some bruisers out of there. CA does have alot of deer but nothing like it used to be. I strongly feel alot of it is because of the cats I remember reading somewere the mountain lion has decereasd CA's deer population by 51% since the early 90's I think that is high but i know they have a huge effect on them but it will take an act of god to get them off the protected list. thats my .02$

HuntWYODon
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey Shaun,
I'd of rather hunted X9A achery season than when I did during rifle season. Lesson learned. I agree about the lions . From what I've heard they will kill a deer a week ??? You also have to figure in all the other predators. I saw a Lynx/bobcat kill an antelope doe yrs. ago in Wy. Stalked it while it was lying down. In Ca. I've seen coyotes go after deer 3 times. Twice they were bucks ! I got one of them though after my friend shot the buck. I've seen coyotes goe after fawns while bowhunting Kiabab in Az. before too. So I think the deer get it from everybody including cars and winter kill ! Welcome to the Forum !

Drhorsepower
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Has anyone ever hunted x8?

Kevin Root
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Years ago I pulled a X12 in the late 90's. I hunted X12 right on the X8 border in the Carson-Iceberg wilderness. We saw a lot of bucks and deer where I was on the border but that was a while ago. One of my friends son Joe owns a couple of pack stations, Little Antelope Pack station and both of his pack stations service a lot of the X8 zone. It's not that hard to find remote places to hunt there thats for sure.

http://littleantelopepackstation.com/

HuntWYODon
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I did years ago. Saw a couple little bucks. The next year they had a bad winter kill. It snowed early and for a long time. The deer got trapped up high in deep snow and couldn't make it down I was I read and heard. Don't remember what year. Late 90's. Kevin, you are right. A lot of remote wilderness ! X8 still wouldn't be one of my first choies though.

sjsmallfield
01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Drhorsepower PM sent.

BigShane54
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Eastmans forum and thought I'd jump in here. I live in Santa Clara now, but I was born and raised in San Andreas and have been hunting D-5 my whole life. I've had a lot of success there but have noticed a big decline in the number of bucks over the last few years. I really wish they would open a doe season here, there is definitely an overwhelming number of does on the properties I hunt!

BFlores
01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree i hunt d8 and even though they put out a large number of buck tags the success rate is less than 3 percent I don't know if its tactics or terrain but I see a 20:1 ratio of does to bucks in our zone.

JGHoss
01-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Born and raised in Roseville, CA... Love hunting X-12, X-7a and b when I can draw... When I dont draw, I love packing into the trinity alps or hunting D-5...

Muleys 24/7
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone,I'm new to eastmans fourm as well.I live in southern califorina and have hunted D-12 , D-14 ,and D-16 for Muleys. They are pretty tough zones but I managed to knock a couple down through out the years,......with some hard hunting, havn't got a wall hanger yet but the freezer is full.I'm not sure what the buck to doe ratio is in my neck of the woods but for as much time as I put in ,it's got to be low. I'm going to start puting in for the central and northern part of the state in the years to come.

BigSurArcher
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey guys I just started up a blog, it will have quite a bit of CA deer hunting stuff on it. Other species as well. Just a heads up in case anyone is interested in reading from time to time!

Link is at the bottom of my post.

Drhorsepower
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey guys I just started up a blog, it will have quite a bit of CA deer hunting stuff on it. Other species as well. Just a heads up in case anyone is interested in reading from time to time!

Link is at the bottom of my post.

Hey I'm trying to send you a pm, your box is full! I have never got that message before! I got a nastygram email saying mine was full one time though.

BigSurArcher
01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Well I'll be... would be nice if the thing told me so. Thanks for the heads up, I'll clear it now.

Graylight
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow... There's a ton of Cali bowhunters on here!!! Good to see!

kmillbowhunter
02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Have not hunted that area yet but did see some very nice bucks in that area this last year .i also saw a great bear .there are some really great areas to look at and i dont think would be to hard to draw with a bow .two years ago i saw quite a few more deer there than i did this year but i had sutgery in july that slowed me down a bit but like anywhere else a little hard work and a little luck and you could find a great buck

califhuntn
05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Hey Guys I'm new to this site. Good to see so many Cali hunters especially the bowhunters. I wish I knew most of what you forgot about X12. I am seriously leaning towards applying for A20 (X12) this year. I have never hunted that part of the state but from what I can tell through google earth there is some really nice country above timberline.

Colorado Cowboy man you have great stories. Your dad taking the first Tule Elk is a great story. You do realize you are very fortunate to have grown up during the heyday. Thanks for sharing.

Colorado Cowboy
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
There are some other good stories and posts on the California section. I also have posted a lot od deer pictures from California hunts in my album on my profile. Thanks for tha comments, growing up in Ca. in a hunting/fishing family in the 50's, thru 2000 when I retired and moved to Colorado was truely the best of times.

BossBrott
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Grew up in bay area till I was 15, then dad got transfered and moved the family to Colfax. Cant really complain about anything except the lacking deer herds of yesteryear. The family and I hunt/fish often enough to keep us content. Started out hunting deer in x8, back when there was actually some animals to glass. Always had good success until the late 90's and noticed the numbers of animals declining every year. The last 2 bucks I killed there were both 3x bucks, and they were blacktails. Not the big bodies of a muley, but bucks nonetheless. Hunted around elephants back, and burnside peak. Since then Ive hunted x6a, x8,x9a, x12, x7b, x7a, g3. All zones produced decent bucks, but ive also killed some nice buck in d3 as well. This will be my first of many years to come of hunting out of state, gonna give NV a try, and CO next year. Gotta utilize ALL my options for the coming years. When im not chasing bucks, ill chase ducks, pheasant, bandtails, squirrels, bears, you name it. In the hunting off season, I love fishing the North fork American River, as its just down the street. Good luck to all

Deerhunter72
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
thats great,, i;ve only gone fishing in the golden trout wilderness bt have never seen deer,, only seen deer by the johnsondale bridge..

Deerhunter72
05-27-2013, 07:41 PM
hi,,, just reading up on deer hunting in cali.. and d 13 in my new zone since moving in to lebec ca. havent been able to find any good bucks,,, maybe u could lead me to GA" general area"

Trevor_20
05-27-2013, 10:40 PM
so cal (yucaipa) and ill be hunting for my first time this year and ill be going to D-14

socalhunter
07-15-2013, 01:29 AM
New to this site also. I'm in Ventura county and have spend a lot of time in D13, D11, and southern A zone.