PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming needs to change..

justinthedoc
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
I wish the residents of this great state would state up to the politicians in the game and fish org. I personnaly think that it is rediculous that we have the wait until the end of june or early july to find out if we can go elk, deer, or antelope hunting. Why not have everything drawn by the end of april so you canactually plan and start scouting.

Im also probably in the minority but I wish we had a choose your weapon policy as well bowhunting is becoming a joke. I started with a bow and have ended up rifle the past few because of the sheer amount of bowhunters (i countd over 45 bowhunters elk hunting last year on labor day weekend) its like rifle just without the distance. Just a vent post maybe share yours

Fink
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
As a non resident, it's kind of hard to complain about Wyoming, considering how generous they are with their non resident allotment. I do really like the choose your weapon idea. I think it would do a great job in both spreading out pressure, and improving odds.

Colorado Cowboy
05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
They can't say they don't have enought time, as we get our NR elk results by the end of February.

I think the just want to keep your $$$ a little longer, short term interest dontcha no!!

birdhunter
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Wyoming draws elk, deer, and antelope later and not at the same time so if the people who put in for moose, sheep, or goat draw, they can decide if they even want to put in for deer, elk, or antelope. Most poeple who draw these trophy tags will not put in for other big game animals since they spend most of their time with their trophy tag since its probably the only time in their life they will draw it. I personally like the fact that I can go out during archery season and if I dont fill my tag I can go out and hunt with a rifle. Yes archery is getting extremely crowded here in Wyoming. Its not gonna get any better either. More people are moving into this state and that wont stop as long as our coal, oil, and gas is booming.

ADavid
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
There is a petition i just signed to allow residents a preference point system like non residents for deer elk and antelope, that would be a nice change in my opinion.

ADavid
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
also it absolutely drives me nuts that we have to wait to see what we drew until the end of june, but even if i knew at the end of march what i would be hunting it would drive me nuts waiting so long till season starts.... soo i guess i just need to change my patience rather than game and fish change their system haha

Colorado Cowboy
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I understand why Wyoming does certain tags earlier, But that doesn't mean they have to keep the deer & antelope tag draw (and our money) until July. They have our $$$ on deposit for almost 4 months.

jenbickel
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, it sucks that we have to wait so long to get the results, but I like it that it's not at the same time as the moose and sheep results. If I were to draw moose and/or sheep, I would not put in for elk.

justinthedoc
05-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes, it sucks that we have to wait so long to get the results, but I like it that it's not at the same time as the moose and sheep results. If I were to draw moose and/or sheep, I would not put in for elk.

But if you put in for the moose, goat, sheep, which should be a january only application period, draw could be done first of march to alllow thm their interest, aplly march thru april for elk, antelope, and deer and draw may. Seems simple to me and two months before the current tentative draw.

I am totally for a preference system for residents I have drawn 3 antelope, and like 9 elk. Where as friends of mine have drawn lik 15 antelope tags and 2 or 0 elk. Its hard to tell me that there draw system is completely unbiased

Plus this state has a serious mule deer problem and they choose to do nothing about it. (not enough time to type my true feeling on that issue)...

BobT
05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
I was told the reason the draw dates are late is to allow time for biological data to be collected to determine tag quotas, fine with me. I see no reason to apply in March though, mail in applications are pretty much obsolete and with the technology available the results could be posted the day after the deadline but that wouldn't allow much time for interest to be drawn. I wonder how much interest they collect on tag fees?

As a non resident I only apply for antelope, might apply for a mule deer tag one of these years (banking points). It seems to me that Wyoming is a little biased in favor of non residents. My opinion is that non residents should only get tags if there are left overs AFTER the resident draw. The motivating factor I'm sure with the current system is $$$, just like everything else. Wyoming has a very generous non resident tag allotment. You guys pay taxes all year, you should get first choice on the tags!

Just my humble opinion!
Bob

Colorado Cowboy
05-18-2012, 08:38 AM
You are right about NR tags. Every western state (except maybe Ca, Or & Wa) depend on the NR $$$ to keep them going. Here in Colo 30 to 40 % of the tags go to NRs. Without NR money, every resident would undoubtly pay a lot more for tags.

Stig87
05-19-2012, 09:50 AM
ADavid- where did you find the petition for resident preference points. I would like to put my name on that as well.

birdhunter
05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Talked to a biologist for Wyoming and although I would like to see preference points for residents, there is a major downside. There are some trophy elk areas that may be once in a lifetime draw if they go to preference points. Im sure some deer and antelope areas would be the same. I personally would rather have a chance at a license every year than end up waiting 30 years like sheep and moose. Just something to think about. Preference points would hurt some areas.

Drelk
05-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Birdhunter makes a good point. I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I would like a better chance of drawing a middle tier tag every two or three years. Today I would give up my chance to hunt general elk if I could get a good tag every two or three years. There really is no correct answer.

ADavid
05-19-2012, 10:31 PM
ADavid- where did you find the petition for resident preference points. I would like to put my name on that as well.

I found it at Discount sports here in Casper im not sure where else it is.

My Opinion on a preference point system and the hard to draw areas is i dont see how they could be "hurt" take unit 100 for instance, i have heard of people putting it first choice for 9 years and still have not drawn it and every year they still have the same 5% chance (pretty much once in a lifetime lol), but non residents with max points which they would have if we had a system have a 15% chance at drawing.
You could still hunt elk every year off general tag or second choice tag and still gain a point in the process

Wyohunter
05-19-2012, 10:39 PM
The big difference between moose/sheep and elk/deer is that there is a lot more elk and deer areas so there would not be much point creep unless you are trying to get one of the really limited areas. Even with a points system there would most likely be a lot of leftover OTC tags to get your hands on. There are upsides and downsides both ways. No matter what the they do they are going to have unhappy people any way.

In God We Trust
05-19-2012, 11:04 PM
I like Wyoming's NR preference point system. You save up for points to 4 points and then everyone with 4 has the same chance. I live in Colorado and Our PP system is totally screwed up. You have to wait 20+ years for a tag in some units and only the people with that many points have a chance at it. Oh yeah unless you have five or more, than you get a .7% chance at one of the tags. A system that only rewards people that have been putting in for 10+ years discourages new hunters and we need new hunters in order for hunting to have a chance into the future. I believe the hybrid system is best. A 5 point cap and then you have as good of a chance as everyone else with 5 points at a trophy unit. This would space everyone out a bit and encourage new hunters to enter the sport as well as keep people from leaving the sport.

kcaves
05-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I would rather be a non resident for trophy tags, odds of drawing them are better than they are for a resident. I think that's all that needs to change, elk and deer can stay the same for residents

justinthedoc
05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Just looking at most of the drawing odds for most of the mid to harder tags to draw a resident would on average draw a tag every 5 years doesnt seem bad to me beings I have gone 7 years on a 30% chance tag.

Plus the biological data crap is just that crap its a stall, last year the bio guy told me they should have cut tags in 73 for antelope and didnt because a outfitter showed up and reemed the commisioners that the bio guy was full of crap. Nothing but a political system. And to be honest getting really fed up with the lack of quality units for all species anymore. I would love to see a choose your weapon designation there are just to many people huntn here now, and believe me I know people like to hunt BOTH seasons but this is getting redonkulous. You cant take a crap in the woods without someone on the next ridge lookin at ya. Isnt this the reason why most of you people moved to wyoming OPEN SPACES, Im 4th generation wyoming and the changes I have seen in the past 10 years is incredible, and concerning...

Wyohunter
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Justinthedoc, I agree too many hunters these days. Ten years ago there were far fewer hunters and general tags were great but now there is too much pressure. With everybody going out and having to settle on fork horns there are not as many bucks being able to mature. I would much rather wait five years for a mature buck than going out every year. Then right now with the limited areas I know some people who draw tags for certains areas each year, the same areas I have sent in for and never drawn for ten years of applying. To me it's not fair but then again for the guy that draws every year a points system would not be fair.

SprintNShoot7
05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I can't comment on the NR tag situation as I am a resident, but I agree with liking to be able to go out with a rifle after the bow season, and I agree with Justin that something needs to be done about the mule deer, because it would be nice to have deer to hunt in the future. I would be bummed not hunting deer every year, but I would also like there to be a higher quality hunt for the deer.

In God We Trust
05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
As hunters we can't have it all. Drawing great tags every year, tags for multiple methods of take, big bucks, and lots of resident tags. Getting all of that adds up to crowded woods with small bucks and declining herd numbers. More people hunting is not a bad thing, it means the sport will survive. Along with that it means we may have to wait a few years for a great tag to hang on a big animal.

justinthedoc
05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
No offense but i am tired of hearing "we need more hunters so the sport survives". Have you actually checked to see how many people aplly for licenses. Its overwhelming, they say less people are hunting back east, but thats not for lack of folks wanting to, its lack of a place to go. If you,the G&F, and I truly knew how many animals are being wasted by folks who dont know how to shoot a bow, but go, just so they can hunt more, and it looks cool on TV, there would be a choose your weapon, and 90% of those hunters would not appply for the archery tag. If you dont believe me go sit at a archery shop 5 days before the opener of elk season and watch the pure lack of morals and ethics. ( i need a bow setup going hunting tomorrow type crap).. We need to put the whole I can hunt longer attitude aside and truly take care of these animals. If we or I think its bad now just wait a few more years, I now several ranchers in good units that have access through the G&F or just give permission that are on the verge of shutn em down and going with a outfitter because of JOE PUBLIC. Also the WY G&F make 60% of there money on just fishing licenses alone, they dont need the NR money, they just cater to them for the tourism. ( I used to work for em) Like I said this is just a frustration post, there is no silver bullet, but I think its strange that all of a sudden we have boat inspections( 3mnths out of 12), stricter rules in state land and Parks, a freakn stupid decal on a boat for Invasive species (what a joke), but nothing has been done to better the quality of the hunt. Which is why we are all on this forum...

Sorry if i come off abrasive, I just truly love this state, but absolutely hate whats happening to it...

Ultramagg
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I am new to this great state of Wyoming as of this last spring. So any tags that I applied for was as a non-resident. It has been very interesting to see both the resident, and non-resident sides of issues. More states are starting to discover that the non resident hunting season and tags is a huge money maker. Another non resident benefit is the tag drawing here actually seems early to us. Many of the surrounding states have not even begun to apply for the rifle deer tags. So June feels early to most. But Wyoming is one of the best states in the country for its wildlife and habitat and the country knows it. Be proud of your state because your way ahead of most. I am originally from South Dakota and could take a lesson from its neighbor Wyoming. IN GOD WE TRUST made a great point.
Many states over sell many counties tags and the hunt becomes a bad experience and the state gets bad reviews back....but again its just too good of revenue but in some areas, South Dakota wildlife is in BIG trouble, particularly its elk. Hats off to Wyoming for balancing everything better than most state. Its good to be here.

Ikeepitcold
07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Here's my bitch. When I was 100% draw odds for Antalope this year why I didn't draw is beyond me. So why would they say it's 100% if it is not? I can't wait to hunt Wy and think the state is a great hunting destination.

Colorado Cowboy
07-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I not exactly sure how Wyoming calculates the drawing odds. Here in Colorado they publish drawing odds and they seem to round off the numbers eg. If there are 100 tags and 107 people apply, they saw the odd are 100% DRAW. If you look at the Wyoming stats that are online, I think you will see something very similiar.

bigsky2
07-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Wyoming does NOT need a preference point system for residents, it needs a BONUS point system for residents. I was a nonresident and thought Wyoming's drawing system was great because of the favorable draw odds and then moved here about a year ago and found out how much it sucks for residents. Someone should not have to go four or more years without drawing a bull or buck tag. A preference point system is not the answer because of point creep, knowing that you would have to have a certain amount of points before you have a chance to draw. In a bonus point system, everyone has a chance to draw, it's just that the people that have went the longest without drawing have the best chance to get the tags. Every year that you don't draw you get a bonus point, and your number of bonus points determines how many chances you have in the drawing. Montana uses this system for its residents in the limited quota areas.

I like that Wyoming has all the limited quota areas because it generally means a better chance at a mature animal when you do draw a tag. Wyoming probably has the best combination of quality and opportunity of all the western states, it's just that the opportunity should be a lot better for residents.

A huge problem I have with Wyoming is that they seem to put money as a higher priority than managing the big game herds. The mule deer population is clearly hurting and they refuse to cut back on tags. The numbers of antelope tags they give out for some units is ridiculous.

Another example of them trying to get as much money as possible is those invasive species stickers. I'm not against the idea of it at all, invasive species are a huge problem in some states and it's a good idea to be proactive about it, but they don't even inspect your boat before you can buy the sticker. I realize there's check stations at some lakes, but if you went to a lake that didn't have a check station there's nothing stopping someone from putting a boat in the water that was covered in zebra mussels.

Enough of my complaining, but WY definately needs to change the drawing for residents and I think a bonus point system would be the best way.

justinthedoc
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
A bonus point, and a preferance point for elk, deer, and antelope would be the same thing. They give enough tags they would be Identical. For example area 120 elk 78 tags roughly 350 people applied. (Dnt know exact #) would be a 4.5% chance, a point system you would be guaranteed to draw that tag in 4-5 years or you could statistically speaking never draw the tag. Seems clear to me. If not how about area 7 roughly a 30-40% chance of drawing. Or a point system you would be guaranteed to draw in two-three years. I know people who havent drawn that area for 11 years. I agree a bonus point like CO has for sheep, moose and goat would definatly be the way to go, newbies will probably never draw a moose, and very slim on a sheep. To me it just doenst make sense to not want a point/bonus system, unless you sweet talked the "Unbiased" computer draw system of the G&F.

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
No offense but i am tired of hearing "we need more hunters so the sport survives". Have you actually checked to see how many people aplly for licenses. Its overwhelming, they say less people are hunting back east, but thats not for lack of folks wanting to, its lack of a place to go. If you,the G&F, and I truly knew how many animals are being wasted by folks who dont know how to shoot a bow, but go, just so they can hunt more, and it looks cool on TV, there would be a choose your weapon, and 90% of those hunters would not appply for the archery tag. If you dont believe me go sit at a archery shop 5 days before the opener of elk season and watch the pure lack of morals and ethics. ( i need a bow setup going hunting tomorrow type crap).. We need to put the whole I can hunt longer attitude aside and truly take care of these animals. If we or I think its bad now just wait a few more years, I now several ranchers in good units that have access through the G&F or just give permission that are on the verge of shutn em down and going with a outfitter because of JOE PUBLIC. Also the WY G&F make 60% of there money on just fishing licenses alone, they dont need the NR money, they just cater to them for the tourism. ( I used to work for em) Like I said this is just a frustration post, there is no silver bullet, but I think its strange that all of a sudden we have boat inspections( 3mnths out of 12), stricter rules in state land and Parks, a freakn stupid decal on a boat for Invasive species (what a joke), but nothing has been done to better the quality of the hunt. Which is why we are all on this forum...

Sorry if i come off abrasive, I just truly love this state, but absolutely hate whats happening to it...

I agree with you except for one thing, look at the cost of non res. tags. 10 times the amount of a resident tag. I can't believe they don't need the money. All states are the same as for as non res. tags/lic. go. Az., Ut. and Co.. No different. What I don't agree with in Wy. is non resident's can't hunt in the wilderness areas with out a guide or resident. It's Federal (public) land not State land. I know it's for the Outfitter's benifit and so on but seriously ? Still my favorite place to hunt.

justinthedoc
07-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree 100% about the wilderness part, guess they think its to wild for city-folk:). But the same claim can be said about Alaska, why can I go hunt black bear, but not grizz/coastals. Why can I hunt moose, but not sheep with out a guide. Arizona NR tag system is a scam if ya ask me I dnt know how many thousands I have given them just to put in for a desert sheep tag. As far as the more money thing goes I think it honestly sways some people from putting in and ya have a bettewr shot at getting a tag I guess, pretty soon we are all going to get screwd. no matter what state ya live in.

HuntWYODon
07-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I agree 100% about the wilderness part, guess they think its to wild for city-folk:). But the same claim can be said about Alaska, why can I go hunt black bear, but not grizz/coastals. Why can I hunt moose, but not sheep with out a guide. Arizona NR tag system is a scam if ya ask me I dnt know how many thousands I have given them just to put in for a desert sheep tag. As far as the more money thing goes I think it honestly sways some people from putting in and ya have a bettewr shot at getting a tag I guess, pretty soon we are all going to get screwd. no matter what state ya live in.

Your are right. I forgot about Alaska. I think a non res. can only hunt moose, caribou, black bear and sitka blactails without guide. I totally agree about Az. too ! I'm "trying" to burn my 13 pts. for antelope and 10 for deer so I won't ever have to do it again. They make you buy a $151.00 lic. just to buy a pt. ( NV. also) I had loyalty pts. for deer, elk, antelope and sheep. I screwed up a few yrs. ago and put both my antelope and elk tag in the same envelope , Got rejected for both. Lost both loyalty pts. ! I called up and raised heck saying why take the loyalty pts. instead of just not drawing or losing that year's point ? I still paid for the lic.every yr. since 1987 ! What's the difference? The lady in lic. dept agreed with me but... I didn't know they were envelope challanged. I lost deer and bighorn loyalty pt. because I wrote a check that was 50 cents short like a dummy. I sent in during their correction time and never received a call. I made another phone call. The only thing I'm going to keep putting in for after I draw deer and antelope is archery elk and deer. I hunt with friends there for elk and deer a lot. But not going to play their game much longer.

justinthedoc
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
If Alaska wasnt that way I would be up there every year hunting. Starting with Browns, mtn goats, dalls, buffalo. Would be hella fun, to bad I aint made of money. I would love to suit me some Game and Fish agencies for discrimination.Do you know how much money that would save one guy. I meand seriously 20 f-ing grand to hunt browns now is freaking re-donkulous. I agree that residents should have more tags for there home state but stuff like the wilderness in wy, and the stuff previously mentioned is B.S. really. Heres a interesting fact, my brother is a outfitter in CO, and WY. Resides in CO, wants to hunt moose, and sheep here has the points and the area hes apllying for is in a wilderness area. He cant hunt it without a giude or outfitter, but he can outfit himself and outher hunters there. What kind of sht is that WY. Stupid f-ng politics

HuntWYODon
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
If Alaska wasnt that way I would be up there every year hunting. Starting with Browns, mtn goats, dalls, buffalo. Would be hella fun, to bad I aint made of money. I would love to suit me some Game and Fish agencies for discrimination.Do you know how much money that would save one guy. I meand seriously 20 f-ing grand to hunt browns now is freaking re-donkulous. I agree that residents should have more tags for there home state but stuff like the wilderness in wy, and the stuff previously mentioned is B.S. really. Heres a interesting fact, my brother is a outfitter in CO, and WY. Resides in CO, wants to hunt moose, and sheep here has the points and the area hes apllying for is in a wilderness area. He cant hunt it without a giude or outfitter, but he can outfit himself and outher hunters there. What kind of sht is that WY. Stupid f-ng politics

The situation with you brother is re-donkulous ! I can't talk about this subject much with out getting pizzed off. Like you said, the cost of out of state tags is BS. You can't afford to take your kids anymore let alone yourself. They have made it a rich man's sport. Average Joe's like us take it in the pocket .

crumy
08-27-2012, 10:39 PM
To many general deer tagsi went out last year and saw very few shooters. Passed on some small bucks. Glad g/f is putting 3 pint min ondeer in the snowys. Supposed to be draw next year. Would also like to see preference point system on elk and deer.

Elkoholic307
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Instead of a resident preference point system, I'd like the 'special' license option that the non-residents have.

trkytrack2
08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
But if you put in for the moose, goat, sheep, which should be a january only application period, draw could be done first of march to alllow thm their interest, aplly march thru april for elk, antelope, and deer and draw may. Seems simple to me and two months before the current tentative draw.

I am totally for a preference system for residents I have drawn 3 antelope, and like 9 elk. Where as friends of mine have drawn lik 15 antelope tags and 2 or 0 elk. Its hard to tell me that there draw system is completely unbiased

Plus this state has a serious mule deer problem and they choose to do nothing about it. (not enough time to type my true feeling on that issue)...

You'd like a preference point system for residents? Maybe they could set it up like Colorado's? My friend drew a tag for elk in Unit 2 here in Colorado. It only took 17 PP's to get drawn....17 years of applying! And that was for archery. For a rifle tag, my 13 year old boys would be in their late 30's before they would even be in contention for drawing a tag.
Don't wish to hard...you might just get the shaft.

HuskyMusky
08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Many things can be improved...

I agree I'd like to see all apps due say feb1st, march1st, and a month later find out the results, and within 2 weeks have my refund, if not sooner! no reason a state needs to hang onto my money for more than 1 or 1.5months IMO!

non-resident elk tags should be season specific, ie... archery, rifle, muzzy... a guy from IL probably isn't going to make 2 or more trips for elk, 1 trip only... this would make draw odds higher IMO, and allow for more tags to be issued.

HuskyMusky
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Instead of a resident preference point system, I'd like the 'special' license option that the non-residents have.

what's a res elk tag cost?

part of the reason it works for non-res is that the difference between 500 and 1000 tag is significat!

if a res elk tag is say 60 bucks and a special means it would be 120, jsut about everyone would be willing to pay that... so not much of a help...

how about if they made the "resident special" price the cost of a standard non-res tag or a special non res elk tag...

doubt any res would be willing to pay 500/1000 for an elk tag in WY!

it would be interesting to try just put a couple res tags in a res-special at the non-res special price... and see if what the results are after 1 year...

Elkoholic307
08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
if a res elk tag is say 60 bucks and a special means it would be 120, jsut about everyone would be willing to pay that... so not much of a help...

I still think it would help. Where I'm from, a lot of guys can barely afford to apply for elk, deer and antelope. If there was a resident special option it would seperate the weekend warriors from the serious hunters. I would gladly pay twice as much for better odds, but know tons of people that wouldn't even consider it.

HuskyMusky
08-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I still think it would help. Where I'm from, a lot of guys can barely afford to apply for elk, deer and antelope. If there was a resident special option it would seperate the weekend warriors from the serious hunters. I would gladly pay twice as much for better odds, but know tons of people that wouldn't even consider it.

I hear ya.

but when I hear this I think a res can't afford to apply for an elk, deer, antelope at in state fees!? if they only knew what non-res have to front... heck pts only for non-res in WY are $50, $40, and $30, moose is $75, that's $190 every year for just 1 pt for moose, elk, deer, antelope for a non-res in WY!

but sure I don't see why they couldn't have a special option for residents too, I say make the resident special the non-res regular price though!

I wish I could be the tag czar... lol.

I think states are starting to listen more to it's hunters and managing game better.

HuskyMusky
08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I think separating non-res tags into archery, muzzy, rifle only seasons would help a lot, and perhaps do the same for residents, or allow residents to apply for 2 tags, ie 1 archery elk, 1 rifle elk, even 1 muzzy so they can hunt the entire season if they wanted to.

NM has 3 separate archery seasons, 1 muzzy, 1 rifle...
that takes 1 WY elk tag and turns it into 5 elk tags!

Murdy
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
I'd be careful with anything that grants better hunting privileges (or a better chance at them) for money. Next thing you know, they'll be auctioning off tags to the highest bidder.

Colorado Cowboy
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I am really not in favor of the Special Lic's, it is juat one more step in the direction of people with more money get more opportunity to hunt.
Hell almost every state takes lots of tags right off the top for the auctions, govners and landowners/outfitters. All this is doing is pandering to anyone who is willing/can pony up lots of money. I would much rather do away with all of these types of tags and pay $10 or $20 more and have more tags available in the draw. Its really getting so bad on premium units that it will be a once in a lifetime hunt for a lot of us. 20 points here in Colorado and still low odds....gimme a break. It will be that way too in Wyoming for NRs soon enough.

Elkoholic307
08-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I know a lot of folks would not be fond of a resident special license option, but it's still a lot better than point creep.

Money talks and I'd much rather pay to play than not play at all.

justinthedoc
08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, to bad they dont actually manage the game they say they do. Mule Deer in this state is a joke, elk are starting to get there, and antelope are on there way. They in my opinion need to lay off giving so many tags, especially with they way the grass is right now, if we have a bad winter, its going to take a toll. Mule deer statewide need to be a draw, and there needs to be a choose your weapon policy. I went scouting this last weekend and ran into 13 F-ing people. I bet you Sept 1 I will count over 60 people (let you know tues) elk hunting. I think it would help spread out the pressure for not just bow, but rifle hunters as well. I have actually thought of hanging the bow up after 30 years of bowhunting just because of the amount of people I have been running into the last 4 years.

birdhunter
08-30-2012, 06:23 PM
You guys have to realize that Wyo is the least populated state but the state with the most available jobs right now. Its not going to get any better in terms of how many people you see out hunting. Especially during archery, which is gaining extremely in popularity right now. There are people moving here before they even have jobs. Every other state out there is where Wyo is heading. It just took longer for us to get there. Your draw odds are going to get extremely tough and the land developement will take away from wildlife habitat. So do the math and realize that there will be more people and less wildlife which equals tough draw odds. Believe me, I want nothing more than for it to be like I was as a kid and be able to draw an elk tag every other year. Thats just not going to happen any longer.

justinthedoc
08-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Heck I would take a tougher to draw tag if they would just regulate the dang pressure, the area I drew has about 300 tags for resident. I will bet you 270+ plan to bow hunt with that tag. Its stupid, and just wait til gas gets to 6$ a gallon, people will stop driving as much and oil will hopefully fall flat, and wy will bust again, always has. oh and what birdhunter said is true, and thats exactly why this should be done, it wont because the G&F have no balls, and want the extra revenue off archery license sales. Sad that they run a game management for the money instead of managing the game. Have always said it, all the G&F are is pimps of the the wildlife.