PDA

View Full Version : Taxadermy position

Ikeepitcold
05-18-2012, 05:18 PM
What makes your decision on what position for your mounts? Is it how the animal looked at the time you shot it? Or just what you choose with the Taxi looking at other mounts?

Fink
05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I actually have never mounted anything I've killed, not really sure why.. I have 4 P&Y whitetails and an antelope, but never mounted any of them.. Me personally, for deer, I like the sneak look and the head up, ears forward look.. Just about any position is gonna look great, coming from a good taxidermist.

velvetfvr
05-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Depends on where he will go. Usually like them to show off there best side. Also depends on the size too.

packer58
05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Like velvetfvr, for me it depends alot on where i'll hang the mount. Also i like my mounts to look like they belong there, not just hanging on the wall helter skelter. So i guess my answer is try to show off the mounts best features in a location that "fits" in with the rest of the heads but yet stands out in it's own regard.

NoMoreOldNo7
05-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Agree with velvetfvr. My Tule Elk is turned right, one Mulie is sneak looking stright ahead, the other Mulies is turned left and my Pronghorn is straight ahead and on alert. I have arranged them on a wall together and with the current configuration it works fine.

Now the problem, I have been playing around with mounting ducks and geese (and just about to finish up what I have left from this past hunting season). The problem is I should have a Mulie hunt in Ca in a pretty good unit where I have had 7 tags and taken 5 deer, then its off to Wyoming, first for Antelope (a buck tag and two doe tags) then finish up with a Bull Elk hunt in the Big Horns in Wyoming. Whatever I take on these hunts I an going to do my first shoulder mounts (unless I take a coyote in the Sierras on a scout trip). I figure the does will be practice fleshing and turning ears, nose and mouth. I guess the problem is two fold, first what poses would look the best and how to convince the wife that we need two or three more mounts in the living room. The poses will work themselves out by turning the head to show off what side looks the best (more points, a little trash, etc), the wife will require a little more work.

CrimsonArrow
05-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I have mine mounted in the general position they were in when the arrow was released.

BKC
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I always get ahead of myself. I built my house with a tall ceiling in the living room and have all my mounts in the room. I put backing inbetween all the studs so I could hang the mounts easier. This year I am concentrating on my elk and like the head turned looking left with the antlers back, bugling with the nose wet and the hair on the chin dripping. So I have to smoke a monster to pull this off. Did I mention I get ahead of myself!

Ikeepitcold
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I am kind of the same way. I have my mounts positioned in a way the show off the good stuff and how they will be set on the wall.

Umpqua Hunter
05-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I am partial to sneak and semi-sneak mounts, as I think they are one of the most natural looking poses. Then I usually do a turn to present the best features on the horn or antlers....or..... if I have a spot picked out in the room, so it best fits in that spot.

6mm Remington
05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
It just depends on a lot of things such as room size, location it will go, etc. One thing to possibly consider is a pedestal mount. They really look sharp and you can turn them and move them around easily to fit different locations, and change things up later so you aren't stuck having it kept in one position. Mount the animal to show off it's best side or feature and go with what you think will look nice. The taxidermist will always be helpful in that respect as he might have some ideas just by looking at the animal to be done.

Check some of these mounts out. It gives you some ideas.

http://custombirdworks.com/gallery.html#nogo

Ikeepitcold
05-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I have 5 other sets of Mule deer horns from passed hunts all from 140s-160's. I've been thinking of a pedestal mount with all of these racks on it. Maybe all Euro in a cool staggering formation.

packer58
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I have 5 other sets of Mule deer horns from passed hunts all from 140s-160's. I've been thinking of a pedestal mount with all of these racks on it. Maybe all Euro in a cool staggering formation.

That a lotta bone for one pedestal but what the heck, go for it. Maybe a little habitat mixed in and you can pull it off. A buddy of mine from Susanville had a pair of Whitetails put on a pedestal with a little habitat and it looks awesome. i think he had Cole there in Reno do the work.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:21 AM
That a lotta bone for one pedestal but what the heck, go for it. Maybe a little habitat mixed in and you can pull it off. A buddy of mine from Susanville had a pair of Whitetails put on a pedestal with a little habitat and it looks awesome. i think he had Cole there in Reno do the work.

I've heard of Cole. Ya it's alot but with some collaboration with my taxi I hope to come up with something very cool and unique but not gody. I also have to have the wife's approval before anything gets in the house. One of them are hers so I hope that it helps with the odds for approval.

Drhorsepower
05-20-2012, 10:04 AM
If it is Greg koehl you are talking about he is a world class taxi. Incredible guy as well.

packer58
05-20-2012, 10:24 AM
That's him, never met the guy but his work is trully awesome. My cuurent guy is Dan McKenna, he also does awesome work.

packer58
05-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I've heard of Cole. Ya it's alot but with some collaboration with my taxi I hope to come up with something very cool and unique but not gody. I also have to have the wife's approval before anything gets in the house. One of them are hers so I hope that it helps with the odds for approval.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that "sales pich".........It might go something like this..........Hey honey, i was thinking about pulling all those horns down from the rafters and spending lots of money having them mounted on a pedestal. Ohhhh by the way, if it sounds like a good idea i'll have yours put on there to. :D

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that "sales pich".........It might go something like this..........Hey honey, i was thinking about pulling all those horns down from the rafters and spending lots of money having them mounted on a pedestal. Ohhhh by the way, if it sounds like a good idea i'll have yours put on there to. :D

And her answer would be.... Are you F'n stupid!

packer58
05-20-2012, 10:51 AM
And her answer would be.... Are you F'n stupid!

Now that's funny......lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmoose
05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Ikeepitcold..check out Stan Martin also. This guy is a true artist and can make whatever you decide happen. He has made me happy with several shoulder mounts and is my "go to guy" for any taxidermy. If anything, he makes them look too pretty...the detail is amazing.

My main consideration when choosing a position is where it is going to go on the wall and maybe to show off the better side, as is the case with my California Bighorn. One side was broomed off more than the other. I don't care for the sneak position...all mine are semi-sneak except one up-right.

Moose

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Ikeepitcold..check out Stan Martin also. This guy is a true artist and can make whatever you decide happen. He has made me happy with several shoulder mounts and is my "go to guy" for any taxidermy. If anything, he makes them look too pretty...the detail is amazing.

My main consideration when choosing a position is where it is going to go on the wall and maybe to show off the better side, as is the cas

e with my California Bighorn. One side was broomed off more than the other. I don't care for the sneak position...all mine are semi-sneak except one up-right.

Moose

I have an awesome taxi. His name is Wade. He does competition taxi and does some of the most awesome mounts I've ever seen. The best part he is affordable, if that is a word to use for taxidermy. He does some the the Eastmans work and is 2 blocks from my house. This guy is so cool he lets me set the ears, help with the clay work and pining the muscle structure. I'll post some pics of my deer we just mounted. Thanx for the referrals but I'm very happy with Wade.

bigmoose
05-20-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm looking forward to checking out his work!

Moose

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Sorry the pics are side ways. I tried to rotate them a few differant ways but no luck.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh and just to add this in. Some of the mounts on the wall behind my buck are not his and are there for remounts. They are some REAL terrible mounts there.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Check out the pronghorn buck with the doe. He's a bomber!

packer58
05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Very nice....he will look awesome on the wall. The goat in the background is a toad for sure.

nvarcher
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I have my Archery Antelope in his shop, and He did one of my deer. He does great work. I also know almost exactly where that 18 inch antelope on the wall was killed!

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I have my Archery Antelope in his shop, and He did one of my deer. He does great work. I also know almost exactly where that 18 inch antelope on the wall was killed!

We talked about that buck for awhile. It's a great spot.

nvarcher
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Were there any antelope they were working on?

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Were there any antelope they were working on?

I think there was one and he was starting another this weekend

nvarcher
05-20-2012, 09:49 PM
How big was the one?

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I didn't pay much attention to it I was drooling over mine. I'll be there tomarrow again.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Is it yours?

nvarcher
05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Alright can you ask him who's it is pleeeeeeease?! I want to know if mines going!

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Ya of corse. I'll take sum pics for you. PM me your phone number.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Alright can you ask him who's it is pleeeeeeease?! I want to know if mines going!

I have a pic of one he just finished. I'll text it to you. Maybe it's yours

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Pic sent to you.

nvarcher
05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I didn't get it.

Ikeepitcold
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I didn't get it.

Resent. Sorry it failed the first time

Ikeepitcold
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Sorry the pics are side ways. I tried to rotate them a few differant ways but no luck.

I've never seen this done before but I thought it was interesting how he used different sizes of rope that he pined to the mount to really show the different muscle structure.

Drhorsepower
05-21-2012, 10:38 AM
I've never seen this done before but I thought it was interesting how he used different sizes of rope that he pined to the mount to really show the different muscle structure.

That is cool ikic, I never knew so much went into a mount.

Ikeepitcold
05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I hung out at the taxi for awhile yesterday. I watched him work on a deer. It's very cool to see how the whole process works.

Drhorsepower
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I hung out at the taxi for awhile yesterday. I watched him work on a deer. It's very cool to see how the whole process works.

I bet man! I would like to see the whole process from beginning to end.

Ikeepitcold
05-22-2012, 07:04 PM
I would too. He has offered for me to see the entire process. I will take him up on that soon. I just have to find the time

Drhorsepower
05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
I would too. He has offered for me to see the entire process. I will take him up on that soon. I just have to find the time

I need some of that too (time) if you did a good deal on it, lemme know

Ikeepitcold
05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Sure thing.

Tambriawood
05-31-2012, 05:19 PM
That's him, never met the guy but his work is trully awesome. My cuurent guy is Dan McKenna, he also does awesome work.

Hey I got some work for Dan. Ive lost his number... Any way I could get it from you? Thx

packer58
05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey I got some work for Dan. Ive lost his number... Any way I could get it from you? Thx

I'll shoot you a PM