PDA

View Full Version : Broadus, Mt

Rickyrebar
05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Hello,
I'm a "coasty" Washington state / Pacific Northwest resident. I'll be taking a trip (my first) to Broadus, Mt this coming Nov. for Mule deer & Antelope. I'm familiar with the winter weather here in Washington mid 30's-20's rain, sometimes snow during the Nov. season here. Was wondering if someone would be willing to shed a little light on what I can, should, might expect in Montana during Nov.
Thanks!

hvfd21walker
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Snow, Wind some more Wind, and possibly really cold temps. Just depends on the year. I have been out there and its below freezing and then the next day its 60 degs. On a normal year prbly low 40s in the day and low 20s in the evening. Have fun. That is awesome country and good luck.

Rickyrebar
05-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Yes, I am excited to get over there and check it out... thanks for the reply!

sjsmallfield
05-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Haven't been there myself but my friends that hunt there every year say if you don't like the weather wait 20-30 mins. Pack for everything! Good luck.

nwwa huner
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
A few years ago I think it didn't go above 3 or 4 degrees for like 5 days. Pack very warm just in case. But could be 60 also

larrylur
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Hunted there lat year near the end of the season. Coldest was -10 early am. Warmest was low 40's. Wind blows hard and it will blow more often than not. Early season would average 20 degrees warmer. Pack for everything is a good tip.

Lemondog
05-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Im here in Renton....Was there twice in the last 5 years. 1st hunt was 30 to 60 the second wind,snow and -3 so cold hard to hunt. My partner shot a buck and within 6 hours stood it up in the snow in front of the cabin and took pictures! froze solid....LOL. Be ready for anything and you will be ok.

mthuntress
06-01-2012, 02:05 AM
I live in MT be ready for anything and this is a no shit story I have seen it go from 110F @ 2:00 PM and the next morning{biggest dog collar around the moon to} it was -45 F without the windchill and 8inches of new snow{it was 1998 odd year}took my 1st big Mulie that year.Bring two heater a main and a back up if you plan on staying in a tent.
Get yourself some Great wind blocking gear you will need it.

Rickyrebar
06-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Pretty much as I figured, bone chilling cold is what I'll plan for. I spent several years in Iowa so am very familiar with the sub zero and over 100 temps. Wind... I hate wind, but I love to hunt mulies!

deerhuntr4885
06-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Have good tires and be prepared for some really greasy roads if it is wet but above freezing. Many get stuck or blow tires out there.

Murdy
06-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Why blow tires? Been hunting off roads in all sorts of conditions in north Wisconsin, never heard of that being a big issue. Do chains cause that?

6mm Remington
06-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Good suggestions all. Good tires, tire chains, a high lift jack, come-alongs, shovel, and a couple tow straps. I strongly suggest one or two of those 20,000 or 30,000 pound bungee type tow straps. You get a couple shackles and have them attached to each vehicle so they won't come flying off or fall off the tow hook, and get lots of slack in the strap. Have the stuck vehicle in gear and his wheels just spinning slightly in gear. Gun it and go. The first time you will do it, you will be scared to death and you "will not" do as I just said and gingerly "hit it". Once you realize you aren't going to tear anything up, the next time you will gas her and go. Your vehicle will slow down as the strap stretches to it's maximum. You will come to a stop unless you manage to pop him out of his hole just with that, but if you do come to a stop, it acts like a huge super tough rubber band and it will sling-shot the stuck vehicle out of the hole. It will even pull you backwards a bit. They really work slick. Even if you cannot get very good traction in the vehicle that is trying to free the stuck one, with there being this slack and the fact that you are able to get speed up before you hit resistance, it still works in those conditions. I cannot tell you how much better it is than chains or regular tow straps that have no give.

6mm Remington
06-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Why blow tires? Been hunting off roads in all sorts of conditions in north Wisconsin, never heard of that being a big issue. Do chains cause that?
Cactus everywhere, greasewood, sharp rocks, barbed wire fence down and not seen, and other assorted gremlins to make life miserable.

deerhuntr4885
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Cactus everywhere, greasewood, sharp rocks, barbed wire fence down and not seen, and other assorted gremlins to make life miserable.

Believe it or not, but the road conditions can be THE most limiting factor for success. If the roads mud up most can become impassable unless you are outfitted correctly. The good news is that if the weather cooperates the wind will dry them out pretty quick but you do not want to be unprepared. Without the right gear you may be hunting off the highways.

HuskyMusky
06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Wasn't there a bad winter or two there that really hurt the mulies in spots in SE MT? also blue tongue for the antleope...and mulies?

I talked to a taxidermist who said they got hammered, but mentioned a few spots he would go, I can't recall where, It hink he may have said up near miles city the bad winter kinda missed them, but I thought that se part near broadus really got hammered.

so perhaps call around and be open to adjusting your specific spot of hunting.