PDA

View Full Version : Which bow for which hunt??????

velvetfvr
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
I am thinking on using my omen pro for my pronghorn hunt and evo for my muley hunt. What is your input. As you can see my gear is devastating for both animals but which one is the best. The reason for the omen on my pronghorn for it being quiet and super fast and those goats are really jumpy. Now evo for deer because hiking a bunch so having a smooth draw would really be helpful. So post your reason and don't say another bow or brand cause I have found the 2 perfect bows for ME. Thanks and good luck to all that drew tags!

BigSurArcher
05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
What?! A post by velvetfvr that talks about his two bows? No way!

humbletaxi
05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
lol! Good stuff.

packer58
05-29-2012, 10:48 PM

It's true !!!! I read it twice and sure enough...........

wolftalonID
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Well....send me those bows for a test run. Ill get back with you on my scientific findings.

Reallynow.... Not too many guys here are going to bring themselves to make up an answer to that. The one answer we mostlikely will give you is this. Take the bow your confident in using. No bow under any circumstance will do any archer justice if they are not confident in how well it will perform for them.
If you have to question which bow.....you are not ready to take it hunting. You need more range time.

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I feel confident with both but which one will benefit me the most with penetration and KE? I can smack a bullseye out to 80 yards no prob but I want some opinions. What's the fuss about me asking a question so some more experienced archers can help me, thanks!

Drhorsepower
05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
<--------- biting tongue;)

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I practice at longer yardages so I can be better at lower yardages. I shoot at 100 yards some days so I can hit a bullseye at 70-80 pretty easy so am confident but want some help for you guys instead of archery talk.

Ikeepitcold
05-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Hhahahahhaahha he def knows what he likes.

Ikeepitcold
05-30-2012, 06:15 PM
How old are you VF?

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
How old are you VF?
Just over 15, yeah and I shoot a omen pro at 70lbs and a evo at 70lbs. I just set my mind to it when I was 12 and went from 45 to 70 in 3 years. This is my second tag for that area and have changed my stalking so I can get closer and draw straight back so they can't see me.

NVBird'n'Big
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, I think it's great that you are so young and so motivated about bow hunting, I wish I would have picked it up at your age. Besides that and even before the responses get super technical, which I know is what you are looking for, I think you need to think about simpler things. Seasons for archery deer and antelope overlap, you could technically shoot your pronghorn one day and be out the next going after deer. Without time between hunts to readjust to a separate bow this could make things difficult. The most effective thing to do in my opinion is to pick the bow you are most comfortable with, shoot it as much as you can from now till Aug 1 and roll with it through the season seamlessly. It's not like you are going from shooting a gopher to a water buffalo, both bows will be effective and the more dialed in you are with one, the easier the transition, actually the only transition will be your hunting tactics, your shot will be second nature. This is all IMO but I just wanted to thow it out there, I will be hunting deer and pronghorn with my bow this summer and the thought of switching bows between the two makes zero sense.

nvarcher
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I was shooting 45 pounds up until about mid October then by mid December I was shooting 70 pounds! I don't care what bow I'm hunting with, give me some sticks and string and I'll be happy! Hunting beats everyday life by a long shot!

Huntinguy0120
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
I have to agree with the single bow option. But I think you are lookin for the best combo with the gear you have.. I think you should take the Omen pro.. It may not be as smooth as your evo right now but 3 months of shooting will stretch that string out just right. The only thing I would change is swapping the two sights, I think the 7 pin will be more reliable out to long ranges than your 3 pin Hogg. Other than that, I think you have a lethal game plan. Good luck, keep up the good work!

Muleys 24/7
05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I would stick with one bow as well, practice with one.......hunt with one. That way you don't have a different feel when makeing the switch from hunting deer to pronghorn, just my opintion.

x2 on the seven pin sight

nvarcher
05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I have to agree with the single bow option. But I think you are lookin for the best combo with the gear you have.. I think you should take the Omen pro.. It may not be as smooth as your evo right now but 3 months of shooting will stretch that string out just right. The only thing I would change is swapping the two sights, I think the 7 pin will be more reliable out to long ranges than your 3 pin Hogg. Other than that, I think you have a lethal game plan. Good luck, keep up the good work!
I believe those are movable sights.

buckbull
05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't think the benefits you mentioned about each bow while valid would not supersede the benefits of just sticking with one bow, and have the other as a backup.

RUTTIN
05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
What?! A post by velvetfvr that talks about his two bows? No way!Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha............I love it!

If it were me I would take both, and shoot the smooth one first, if you miss, you can re-draw and shoot them with the fast one.

Drhorsepower
05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha............I love it!

If it were me I would take both, and shoot the smooth one first, if you miss, you can re-draw and shoot them with the fast one.

That's a good point ruttin, you have to have a back up bow.

NVBird'n'Big
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM

I've heard of packin 2 pistols on each side but double bows?!?! Damn skills

Ikeepitcold
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Hahahaha two pistols, two lassos, two pairs of boots, two pairs of underwear I HAVE heard of theses. But a two bows one as back up now that's sum funny stuff Ruttin!

RUTTIN
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Actually there are some good points to what Velvetfvr is doing. I always have a backup bow with me on a hunt when feasible. You never know when you might need it, and if you have practiced with it a lot, it could save your hunt. Velvetfvr I hope you know we are all just having a little fun, no harm intended.

Ikeepitcold
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Actually there are some good points to what Velvetfvr is doing. I always have a backup bow with me on a hunt when feasible. You never know when you might need it, and if you have practiced with it a lot, it could save your hunt. Velvetfvr I hope you know we are all just having a little fun, no harm intended.

I can agree with you Ruttin. I always take a second rifle as a back up on any hunt. I've learned the hard way and had to use a gun I was not familiar with. Not cool

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Yeah, I will definitely bring both. The reason why I ask is because I will have a week and a half between both hunts so I will train again before the deer. I might go single option but I want to utilize both bows to my advantage. I will see what happens in the process of getting ready. I am going to practice shooting from odd angles, sit in weird stances for awhile. Thanks so much and keep it coming! I really want to get a kill on each bow since I have 2 for different types of hunts. Also both bows feel really similar too.

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
My sights are moveable too, that is the only way I roll now.

velvetfvr
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I would stick with one bow as well, practice with one.......hunt with one. That way you don't have a different feel when makeing the switch from hunting deer to pronghorn, just my opintion.

x2 on the seven pin sight

Both sights are moveable and I go pronghorn and the. A week and a half break and then deer. You guys have me confused! I think I might have to leave it up to what my preparation and training reveals.