PDA

View Full Version : HOT weather clothing

ORBucksBullsBears5
06-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Im going on a bowhunt in nevada in mid august so im wondering whats the best clothing for potentialy really hot weather hunting? Since most of my hunting hasn't been in weather over 80 i have just used some cotton camo for my early season adventures.

Whisky
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I use UA Heat Gear, Cabelas Microtex Lite and cotton for my early season hunts. There's no getting around it, you're going to be hot and you are going to sweat, and you are going to stink. The cotton stuff and them BDU style 6 pocket pants are cheap enough you can buy enough to use a fresh set every day of a week long hunt.

I'm going to Wyo early Sept and that's mostly what I'll be using I suspect..

labman
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
light weight merino wool!! It will not stink even if you have to wear it several times before it can be washed and dries quickly.

ORBucksBullsBears5
06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into those options. My friend im going to nevada with has a set of the microtex and plans on only taking that as his hunting clothing.

Whisky: i completely agree with the cotton option, they're cheap and i have enough pair to wear a different set each day but it would be nice to have something that could be worn a few times without holding so much scent like cotton. Also it'll be nice to save some room in the truck by not having so much clothing.

Labman: i'll definitely check into merino, from what you've said it sounds like what im looking for!

az.mountain runner
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Cableas sells camo that's kind of open weave , I use them here in az. Definitely cooler.

RUTTIN
06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
light weight merino wool!! It will not stink even if you have to wear it several times before it can be washed and dries quickly.+1 on the merino. If you check camofire.com they often have the merino 190 base layers in camo on there for a good price. I wore mine for a month straight and could not smell any sweat like I normally do with my other base layers

packer58
06-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Cabelas Hunt Tech gets my vote for summer / early fall hunts. Very light weight, very breathable and reasonably priced. Also the camo patterns are extreemly vivid.

Manualman
06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm a big fan of UA heat gear. Elk & antelope out west or early bow season in Jersey. It dries fast & doesn't stink. I also use synthetic socks & underware. Cotton is fine for setting around camp but not hunting

twp1224
06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
First Lite Merino gets my vote. It's very light and doesn't stink after days of sweating in it. Where I hunt it's usually 70-75 degrees during the day and 40-50 degrees at night during August. The merino seems to keep you cooler during the day and warmer at night compared to UA and cotton. Thats my experience though.

Drhorsepower
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Merino is the cats meow. I will never ever buy anything but now.

hoytnut
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Another vote for merino wool. I really like the First Lite system and I have also worn lightweight merino under synthetics.

JNDEER
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
coming from someone who hunts CA A zone in 100+ degree heat this is what I use:

BPS Enduraskin long sleeve (one cotton short sleeve shirt with chest pocket for the stalk as I put my rangefinder in the pocket)
BPS Enduraskin boxer
Wool socks with liner (extra pairs as I can go through 2 a day)
BPS Micro Lite zip off pants

Any other company making the same type of material under their name would work just as fine (ie UA heat gear).

I am trying out this year First lite wool base layer shirt and boxers to replace the enduraskin. Hoping it breathes better than the enduraskin, but we will see.

ORBucksBullsBears5
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Seems like the merino wool is some pretty popular stuff. Since my buddy has the cabelas stuff I might get the merino wool and the ua heat gear and do a "field test" and see which one of the three seem to work best.

Kevin Root
06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
+1 for me on merino wool. I use it in both warm weather and cold on backcountry treks. Thin, natural fibres make it warm in cold weather, cool in warm weather, light, breathable, easy care, no stink and no itch. I use the same shirt on week long trips and it carries little to no stink at all due to natural antimicrobial properties that inhibit bacteria growth. Some folks might be sensitive to itching but I've not found that to be the case in my experience and it is very soft to the touch.

Whisky
06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Seems like the merino wool is some pretty popular stuff. Since my buddy has the cabelas stuff I might get the merino wool and the ua heat gear and do a "field test" and see which one of the three seem to work best.

If you're talking tight base layer stuff, IME, merino blows the heck out of UA. But this is in cooler weather. I must have a phobia of wearing tight base layers when it's hot out, as I've never tried it yet. I prefer loose clothes in warmer temps. First Lite did run a good sale on their stuff at the end of the season and I picked up a bunch. Maybe I'll give it a try...

There is no doubt that merino is the best when it comes to odor control. I will have to try it out in warmer temps and see if it keeps a guy cool enough.

Whisky
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Smartwool is another brand of merino I really like. Actually, I thought my Smartwool stuff was more comfortable than the First Lite. Maybe it just needs a couple runs through the washing machine.

jay
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
idk how lightweight it is but camofire has a smokin deal right now on a Russell APX G2 Zephyr jacket, in oak brush camo...60somethin% off! I just pulled the trigger for myself.

JNDEER
06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
If you're talking tight base layer stuff, IME, merino blows the heck out of UA. But this is in cooler weather. I must have a phobia of wearing tight base layers when it's hot out, as I've never tried it yet. I prefer loose clothes in warmer temps. First Lite did run a good sale on their stuff at the end of the season and I picked up a bunch. Maybe I'll give it a try...

There is no doubt that merino is the best when it comes to odor control. I will have to try it out in warmer temps and see if it keeps a guy cool enough.

In really hot temps (90-100+) you want it tight to your skin, this will allow for maximum moisture transfer from your skin to the clothes and keep you the coolest.

Rock 2.0
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
I have some of the microtex gear by cabelas and I think it is very comfortable.

bowhntr4lif
06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I like the Sitka ascent pants and the UA heat gear stuff. Also first lite is good too.

JNDEER
06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
I like the Sitka ascent pants and the UA heat gear stuff. Also first lite is good too.

There is no way I would be caught dead wearing my Ascent pants in 90-100 degree weather.

another thing to think about is boots. I have a pair of Vasque Breeze boots that, even though gortex, do breathe well and are not fully enclosed leather like other boots. This makes a difference and pack some Gold Bond Blue foot powder, life saver.

BobT
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
light weight merino wool!! It will not stink even if you have to wear it several times before it can be washed and dries quickly.

That is ticket, truly amazing stuff! It is expensive but well worth the price IMHO!

Bob

Wild Country
06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I bought a set corefour baselayer merino woolfrom ccamofire for the first time and wore it for three and four days straight on my spring bear hunts in the Hells Canyuon area (big and steep = lots of sweating) and never did smell it in the baselayer but I could smell myself when I took them off to dry during spotting sessions. GOOOOD STUFF and I will be buying more.

bowhntr4lif
06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
There is no way I would be caught dead wearing my Ascent pants in 90-100 degree weather.

another thing to think about is boots. I have a pair of Vasque Breeze boots that, even though gortex, do breathe well and are not fully enclosed leather like other boots. This makes a difference and pack some Gold Bond Blue foot powder, life saver.
Well I don't hunt in 90-100the degree weather because it doesn't get that hot where I hunt. So the ascent work good for me!

HuntinFool
06-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Just wear a loin cloth. It is very breathable especially when you get a nice breeze going. I don't know if you will be able to find one in camo though.