PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a GPS

betterthanwefoundit
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
First time posting. I have a lot of problems telling private land from BLM ground. Some areas of travel are narrow and I don't want to get on private ground. I need a good GPS that will show real time accurate location, the line for public vs. private land, and my exact location as I move. I have read a lot of good comments about the Garmin Oregon 450T. I have also heard a little about the Montana. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

labman
06-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I have the Oregon 450T and I like the touch screen, but I bought a etrex 30 because it will lock onto gps and glonass satellites it acquires sats faster and seems to be more accurate than my 450T. I have just ordered the colorado sd card to load onto gps for private land etc.

betterthanwefoundit
06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I am a gps dummy. I really need to research some of these terms. How accurate in feet do you feel these models are and how fast is fast? thanks for the reply labman!!

labman
06-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I need to do a speed test as far as how quick but with gps/glonass it could just tell a difference. Glonass is the russian sats the etrex series is the only gps that tracks both to my knowledge. Another reason I went with the etrex instead of my 450 is the battery life which according to the specs should be significantly higher with the etrex.

Roger L
06-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi,
Can anyone provide any information on personal emergency locator devices? I don't want one with a monthly fee if I can avoid it.
Thanks

Ikeepitcold
06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi,
Can anyone provide any information on personal emergency locator devices? I don't want one with a monthly fee if I can avoid it.
Thanks

Try a search. There are alot of threads on this question.

Musket Man
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a SPOT. It works well and will also send messages you pre program out to cell phones. I think they all have a fee. SPOT is about $80 a year i think? Its not much considering it could save your life and keeps your woman from worrying you are slowly dieing at the bottom of a rock slide :D

ADavid
06-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I have the oregon 450/ HuntingGPSmaps combo and i absolutely love it! it has opened up alot of areas i never would go into for fear of being on or crossing private land. In one case i really had to keep an eye on my gps because there was no fence line but it tracked me to within a few feet of the boundry.

BobT
06-10-2012, 07:24 AM
I have an Etrex Legend HCX and the Hunting GPS Maps Wyoming chip. Battery life is good and it is very fast acquiring satellites and seems to be very accurate. More important to me it's user friendly!

Bob

canvsbk
06-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Assuming you have WAAS enabled on your unit accuracy shouldn't be a concern. Your position error will literally change every minute.
I also am looking at a new hand held and am leaning towards the Oregon 450 over the Etrex because of screen size. Your acquisition time also changes....as the world turns.
Somehow I doubt many of you are old enough to catch that lastone:)

betterthanwefoundit
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
It looks like there are several units that will do what i want. Soon i will have a new gps in my hand. I will let you know what i picked.. I have a degree in geology and can read topos pretty well. Its beeen frustrating over past years when im hunting my ground (and yours) blm or national forest and bump into someone who cant belive i hiked in. All the easy access is blocked by private. Oh well. good hunting and success to you all. Thanks for the replies and tips

Roger L
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
thanks for the suggestion. I think i am looking for a GPS/ personal locator device combo. I am sure I'll find it on line, but i am looking for feed back from users.

IdahoVandal
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I use a garmin GPSMAP 62st for work and I just purchased an Oregon 450 for personal use. I love both of them. The 450 was more in my price range. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one. I just couldn't spend 500 bucks on a personal gps.

Slim Pickins
06-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge on these new GPS apps for the phones? I'm thinking that I could have my GPS, phone and camera all in one unit, saving me alot of weight and money. Has anyone been using any of these apps?

betterthanwefoundit
06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I pulled the trigger today on oregon 550 t. Cabelas is running a special 200 dollars off
I think they are everything the 450 t is plus a few extra bells and whistles. Size and weight are the same.
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

bigshot
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I pulled the trigger today on oregon 550 t. Cabelas is running a special 200 dollars off
I think they are everything the 450 t is plus a few extra bells and whistles. Size and weight are the same.
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

Hello, just wondering how you like your Oregon 550t, so far. Do you have any regrets? I'm trying to decide between the Oregon 550t and the Montana 650t.

HuntWYODon
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello, just wondering how you like your Oregon 550t, so far. Do you have any regrets? I'm trying to decide between the Oregon 550t and the Montana 650t.

Where you been bighot ? Hope your scouting has been going well.
Leaving for my Ca. antelope hunt early tomorrow morning. Up past Susanville about 50 mi. 13 hrs. 750 mi.. Lovely.
I'll send you pics if I shoot something respectable. Better be for a "once in a lifetime hunt" if you know what I mean.

bigshot
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Where you been bighot ? Hope your scouting has been going well.
Leaving for my Ca. antelope hunt early tomorrow morning. Up past Susanville about 50 mi. 13 hrs. 750 mi.. Lovely.
I'll send you pics if I shoot something respectable. Better be for a "once in a lifetime hunt" if you know what I mean.

Hey HuntWYODon, Ive been busy working lots of overtime to pay for my hunts coming up. I've been working 13 to 15 hour days!! Also trying to buy the last minute items I need for this year hunting season. The back packing stuff is expensive!! Just got my Hang wag boots, Jetboil stove, Down Sleeping bag, Bivy, XL backpack, now working on my GPS, the list is endless, lol. Oh yea, also picked up two muzzle loaders dirt cheap!!

But ready to get out again. I have not been out since I took the last pics of them deer. Plan to get out this week and stretch the legs a little. Good luck on you antelope hunt and can't wait to see your pictures.

Muleys 24/7
08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey HuntWYODon, Ive been busy working lots of overtime to pay for my hunts coming up. I've been working 13 to 15 hour days!! Also trying to buy the last minute items I need for this year hunting season. The back packing stuff is expensive!! Just got my Hang wag boots, Jetboil stove, Down Sleeping bag, Bivy, XL backpack, now working on my GPS, the list is endless, lol. Oh yea, also picked up two muzzle loaders dirt cheap!!

But ready to get out again. I have not been out since I took the last pics of them deer. Plan to get out this week and stretch the legs a little. Good luck on you antelope hunt and can't wait to see your pictures.

Bigshot , I know what your going through buying all that gear because I've been doing the same thing! It gets expensive real quick!

canvsbk
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I see no end to my list. Everything seems pricey but if you by junk you're always sorry.

Murdy
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Garmin Rino 650 just went on sale at Cabela's for $379.99 if anybody's looking for one. ($120 off)

Muleys 24/7
08-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I see no end to my list. Everything seems pricey but if you by junk you're always sorry.

x2 very true

BobcatJerry
08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Just got the Garmin 655t for my birthday. It is nice and the birdseye feature is a nice addition to what I had with the 530HCX. Some learning curves. $379 for the 650 would be a great deal, I think the only difference is the camera. Had that deal been there a few weeks ago I would have had my wife get it. One mention on upgrades is all the accessories are different and you need to upgrade them all, about another $200 for me. I like City navigator for mine and it is only good on one unit. It functions as my car's gps on vacation and hunting trips. Some maggot stole my Nuvi gps for my truck. Battery packs, belt clips, chargers are all different for the 600 series. I think the some of the newer Oregon s are the same.