PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the new leopold b&c spotting scope?

betterthanwefoundit
06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I am considering the leopold boon & crockett 20x60x80 spotter. size and wieght are in the range i think i want. Its also a little cheaper than the top end spotters. Does anyone have any experience with this glass or have any advice? This purchase will need to last me many years of hunting and wildlife viewing. I might also like to attach a camera. Im sweating over the decision. Any advice?

Colorado Cowboy
06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I have the Gold Ring just below the B & C that is the HD. I LOVE IT!!

betterthanwefoundit
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Western hunters may not be using this scope yet. I think its pretty new. Not much feedback. I will probably look in another direction. Maybe saving for now

bowman85
07-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I looked through the b&c and the vortex razor hd side by side on a pretty overcast day and I was not impressed with the B&C. For 200 dollars less the razor is better. IMO

Drhorsepower
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm guessing they are fairly heavy? I know my 60 was for the size.

Powerman777
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I also would recommend the Vortex. Either the Razor or even the skyline. They are great optics for less money. I have actually switched all of my optics over from Nikon to Vortex and couldn't be happier. Their warranty is outstanding at Vortex as well. The eye cups on my binoculars got bent up and I sent them in to get fixed and within less than a week they were back in my possesion repaired and professionally cleaned all free of charge.

bigshot
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I have the Gold Ring just below the B & C that is the HD. I LOVE IT!!

Hey CC, I have the same spotting scope, is the focusing knob a little tight on yours too. If it is, does it get easier to focus as time goes by or just get used to it.

Hey Betterthanwefoundit, I like the B and C spotting scope, I was able to look through one at the Bass Pro shops and thought it was great. I also looked through a Razor and just did not care for it, call me crazy I guess. The sales man was really pushing it and he was starting to get on my nerves. If I wanted a bigger spotting scope I'd probably buy a B and C or a Zeiss. I'm a Leupold and Zeiss guy because they have never failed me, they are tuff as nails and set in my ways I guess....

Colorado Cowboy
07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Hey CC, I have the same spotting scope, is the focusing knob a little tight on yours too. If it is, does it get easier to focus as time goes by or just get used to it.

I does get better, especially in warm weather. Maybe I'm just getting used to it!

Bitterroot Bulls
07-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Hey Betterthanwefoundit, I like the B and C spotting scope, I was able to look through one at the Bass Pro shops and thought it was great. I also looked through a Razor and just did not care for it, call me crazy I guess. The sales man was really pushing it and he was starting to get on my nerves. If I wanted a bigger spotting scope I'd probably buy a B and C or a Zeiss. I'm a Leupold and Zeiss guy because they have never failed me, they are tuff as nails and set in my ways I guess....

bigshot,

Lots of people have brand loyalty. Companies put a lot of effort into getting it also. I don't think you're crazy.

I am interested in your take on the big Leupy. What did you like about it?

Also, what didn't you like about the Razor?

Where and what time of day did you get to use these scopes, and did you get to use them next to each other?

Thanks.

Colorado Cowboy
07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Hey BB,

Brand loyalty has everything to do with quality and customer service. I have used Leupold optics exclusively for over 40 years. They have a great product for the money and stand behind it...no questions asked. I sent a newly acquired (used) VXlll 3.5 x 10 back to them for a reticle change. While talking to the Tech Rep, he asked about the rifle it was mounted on(Wby Mk V, .257 mag) and what kind of mounts it had. I told him (not Leupold)and then said how much I liked the Leupold quick detachables I had on my Wby .300 mag.and was planning on replacing them, he said he was going to send me a set (free of charge) for being a loyal Leupold customer!

Can't ask any more than that. Performance has NEVER been a problem for me, they have always met my expectations. I do have a set of Swaro bino/range finder combo that my wife bought me. It is also a great product. Hard to wrong with any of the top end optical products.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey BB,

Brand loyalty has everything to do with quality and customer service. I have used Leupold optics exclusively for over 40 years. They have a great product for the money and stand behind it...no questions asked. I sent a newly acquired (used) VXlll 3.5 x 10 back to them for a reticle change. While talking to the Tech Rep, he asked about the rifle it was mounted on(Wby Mk V, .257 mag) and what kind of mounts it had. I told him (not Leupold)and then said how much I liked the Leupold quick detachables I had on my Wby .300 mag.and was planning on replacing them, he said he was going to send me a set (free of charge) for being a loyal Leupold customer!

Can't ask any more than that. Performance has NEVER been a problem for me, they have always met my expectations. I do have a set of Swaro bino/range finder combo that my wife bought me. It is also a great product. Hard to wrong with any of the top end optical products.

All good points, CC. I agree that CS is key to many purchases, not the least of which is optics.

Brand loyalty can be a really good thing. It is a double-edged sword however. There are two types of gear buyers. The if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it type and the always-a-way-to-build-a-better-mousetrap type. i guess I am kind of in the second group. I like the advances and innovations in hunting gear. I am willing to try just about any brand, if it gives me a little performance advantage. It seems like brands with strong brand loyalty, like Leupold, can kind of get stagnant on innovation, and just depend on repeat customers.

I have Leupold products I really like, but I have products from other brands I like just as much, or better. I don't limit myself to Leupold, or Zeiss, or Swarovski, or Vortex, or whoever. I just want good gear.