PDA

View Full Version : Calling in the backcountry

flatlander51
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I am going to be hunting in wy region h this year and was wondering if I should bring my predator call. Im going to buy the OTC bear n lion tags. But I've never used a predator call in that country b4. Anyone have any experience with calling. in this country? Should I be concerned about calling in a grizzly?

Ikeepitcold
06-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I've never done it before but I do know that it is pretty good for calling in bears. As far as the Griz ya I am sure they would come to the calling maybe more so then the blacks.

Wild Country
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I tried calling for the first time last year and called in two different bears in two different places and missed them both...pretty exciting but I had absolutly no luck this year calling one in. Good luck if you decide to go for and I would bet it would call a grizz in and just like Ikeepitcold said...itmay work better on a grizz.

flatlander51
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
i think im gonna give it a shot. i would sh!$ my pants if a grizzly came in and not being a bear hunter or living in bear country i hope i can tell the difference in a split second. dont want that fine!!!

Ikeepitcold
06-08-2012, 10:17 PM
i think im gonna give it a shot. i would sh!$ my pants if a grizzly came in and not being a bear hunter or living in bear country i hope i can tell the difference in a split second. dont want that fine!!!

I think you would be able to tell the difference between the two for sure. Take some TP! Might be a long walk out with a load in your shorts! Hahahah

flatlander51
06-09-2012, 12:11 AM
LOL!! i have to admit im a little nervous to rip a dieing rabbit call in unfamiliar territory.

BossBrott
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Ya know, us westerners dont take to tree stands much, but I think one might be useful in this case.

Murdy
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Hard to run when your in a tree stand. There was a story out of Wisconsin a couple years ago where a guy was deer hunting out of a stand, and a bear cub climbed up the tree past him and started crying, then mama came along. As I recall, he kept her at bay by poking at her with his bow until junior climbed back down.

Muleys 24/7
06-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Ya know, us westerners dont take to tree stands much, but I think one might be useful in this case.

At least the grizzlys won't be able to climb trees.

HuntWYODon
08-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I myself wouldn't try it. You will get griz, lion or wolves on you. Do it from a tree is good advice, black bears aren't usually around areas where there are a lot of grizzlies . They kill them. Same goes for coyotes. Wolves kill them. Good luck. Dont forget an extra pair of underware !