PDA

View Full Version : meat donations

flatlander51
06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
i live in md and we can kill unlimited white tailed does so we have a meat donation program called feed the hungry which will take the deer and we get a deduction from our taxes. does wy have anything like this? im not really worried about the tax deduction but if my groupe kills more then one elk it may not be worth the cost to get all the meat home. and i for sure dont want to see any of it go to waste.

Umpqua Hunter
06-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi Flatlander. Call a meat processor in the area you plan to hunt. They should be familiar with what is available in that area.

ADavid
06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah wyoming has a meat donation program, i always donate at least one animal a year to it, still have to pay a discounted processing fee though and i dont think you get it back for tax deductions....at least i never do.

junior13
06-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Flatlander,
My group will be leaving Md on the 28th of Sept. We are going for deer and lope.(If we get drawn that is) We plan on taking a small freezer, with a generator. The bottom foot we will have full of plastic jugs filled with water. Thats just incase we run out of fuel, plus it does help keep her cold. The jugs can also be took out to melt. Water sure can help clean up any mess. I learned that trick from a guy on a diy archery hunt in NM for elk.

flatlander51
06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Cool thanks for the tip. Where in md do u live?

junior13
06-13-2012, 05:10 AM
Federalsburg

Colorado Cowboy
06-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Man I sure don't donate any game meat....my wife would really be upset if I did. We eat everything I shoot (except predators & p.dogs). When I go on a hunt that is a long ways from home, I take either a 5' or 10' freezer and a generator so I can bring home everything. We love all of the big game meat. The only thing I have to get creative with is waterfowl. I do shoot a lot of geese and I make jerky and sausage out of most of them.

No donations from my household!!!

junior13
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Here either cowboy! I am thinking Flatlander is flying out. In that case, the game meat ends up costing $6 a pound! I love game don't get me wrong, but I would buy beef to before I pay that much!

flatlander51
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I eat all the deer I kill here in md and like I said I can kill unlimited does so there is no shortage of venison I'm my house. But like j13 said I will be flying and I was just looking at other options if I kill both a deer n elk It might not be feasible to bring everything back

flatlander51
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM
J13 I use to hunt not far from u wye mills I live about an hour and a half from u in Harford county. Have u been out west alot?

ADavid
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
My house eats nothing but what I kill as far as red meat goes, we buy no beef. I donate an animal a year because I'm gratefull I'm able to go out and hunt and provide for my family and there are a lot of people that can't so I allow them to enjoy the same meat my family does. Plus that gives me more time in the field hunting

junior13
06-15-2012, 05:38 AM
I crab the wye river commercially on occasion. Some good hunting in that area also!
Yea, I try to go out west each year I can afford. I guess I have been out around a dozen times in my 40 years. I have had two guided hunts, and after one bad one, its been DIY ever since! I plan to go a lot when my two boys and I get more points built up. My favorite hunt is elk with a bow during the rut! Doesn't get any better in my mind. That is until you kill one 5 miles inn, and have to hump it out on your back!

canvsbk
06-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey Colorado Cowboy.....
Buy a smoker and smoke the duck and goose breasts, it's unbelievably good.