PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to feathers

Wild Country
06-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I spoke with someone at REI that could not answer my question so I am going to post it here. I am allergic to down and want to know if the 800 or 850 fills are enclosed/protected enough to not cause me any trouble breathing and blowing snot bubbles? I don't have a problem with the the synthetics I would just like to try a down bag but don't want to spend the money just to see if I it causes me problems.

Drhorsepower
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Allergic to down? That's a new one! If I was allergic to down, I would not encase my body around it with the only thing between myself and it with a super thin material for up to 8 hours. Just my opinion. The synthetics have advanced in the last few years and in your case would not spend the time or money looking at a down bag.

Si vis pacem para bellum

hardstalk
06-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I believe you can rent them from rei. I used to rent because they are insanily priced for the good ones. Rent it for a night and see what happens.

Muleys 24/7
06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't bother with down if your allergic, go the other route....

Ikeepitcold
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree why even put yourself through that if you don't have to. Dr is so rite. The syn are so far advanced now I would go with it. Just say No to the goose!

Wild Country
06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
So I don't have to worry about hot spots on the higher end synthetic bags? I have a lower end synthetic now that has hot spots from its compression bag. Thanks in advance.