PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook/ SW converse county tag question

pcc2b
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Quick question for those of you that have hunted this area before. My father in law drew an elk unit 7 tag this year. we are coming out Sept 7-22. I am coming to help call/pack. I do want to have a tag but I cant decide wether to get a deer or cow tag. I would love the chance at a big mulie, but I am not too sure that this area holds any. On the other hand, driving back to TN with a load of cow elk meat is pretty tempting also. What would you do if you were me? Thanks.

nebowhunter
06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I have hunted unit seven a couple times, and hope to again in a few years! I would get the cow tag. I saw lots of deer but nothing I
Would consider a trophy. But I helped a friend pack a cow 6 miles to the truck, not sure I would do that again either.

canvsbk
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
That will teach you to be more careful who you pick as friends.

nebowhunter
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Lol I agree. He shot the cow out of a herd that had a 380 plus bull and I couldn't get a shot. He had never shot an elk and lost his mind!!! Never let someone tag along with a cow tag when you have a limited draw bull tag. Or if you do only pack in one rifle and the guy with the bull tag carry it.

kcaves
06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
My friend seems to find big mulies, but she's good at t, and I don't know where she finds em

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e1skvf

Elkoholic307
06-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Grab a cow tag.

birdhunter
06-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I myself would get a cow tag just because its more meat. There are some big mulies there but you have to hike hard and they are few and far between. Wagonhound has taken away almost all their WIAs so public land is a little more difficult to come by. On the other hand if you dont get over this way much, I may get a deer tag and hope to get a decent deer.

pcc2b
06-20-2012, 12:55 PM
just found out that the area we were planning on hunting is currently burning! Nice!

birdhunter
06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
That fire should be out by the time season opens. If not, that whole area is in trouble. There are plenty more areas in that area that should be safe from the fire if the wind blows like it usually does. Doesnt sound like they are making to much progress on it right now. Its up to about 3000 acres last I checked.