PDA

View Full Version : Another Cooler Question

Murdy
06-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Was at Costco the other day. Saw an Igloo brand 150 qt cooler for $90. Claimed to be a 7 day cooler -- I don't really believe that. But, I'll never spend $300 -$400 on a cooler (sorry Yeti), at least unless I absolutely have to. The question: How seriously do you take the number of day claims? While I would not take them literally, I wonder whether a 7 day is significanly better than a 5 or 6 day? And, do you think you have to spend $300+ to get an acceptable cooler? Again, I don't, but I've never been in a position where I had to store game for several days before getting it to a freezer.

Ikeepitcold
06-17-2012, 08:10 AM
I have the igloo. I bought the $500 yeti. Took the yeti On a 3 day pronghorn hunt. Ice was melted down to half in 2 days. Returned the yeti. Still have the igloo and will continue to use it. For the cost of the yeti not worth it at all IMO. Another thing to consider and I didn't even think about it till I left camp for the first day is theft. Someone could roll by my camp and see the Yeti and use the opertunity to steal it. Everyone knows the yeti name and how spendy they are. I would hope no one would but worse things have happen. I'll stick to the Igloo that performes good enough for me for $100

Murdy
06-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Good point about the theft issue, not the first thing I though of either, but I wouldn't want to leave a $500 piece of equipment unattended.

rbinkerd
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Amazon has the 150 qt Igloo for $80 with free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DI46I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

wolftalonID
06-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I have always wanted a good cooler. Bears can be an issue where I hunt, although I have yet to have had a problem in 6 seasons now. I understand the pinch you feel with a yetis price for sure. I personally have never used a cooler to store meat in on a hunt. If its kept cool, (shady areas, near water helps too), it will hold fine. Consider it the aging time anyway.
I usually use two coolers while on a week hunt. I put drinks and things I only want cold in one with regular ice. In the other one, the larger one, I put extra bag of ice, all the goods I want frozen, and then pack it with Dry Ice. The Dry Ice keeps the cooler rock hard frozen for three plus days if I keep it shaded and protected from the sun. The extra bag of ice is used in it to keep the rest of the week or in the refrig cooler as needed.
My coolers I use are igloo brand and coleman brand and they have done well for the time I have had them. I have been considering the coolers that are sportsmans warehouse labeled as replacements when I can. They are cheaper than Yeti, and built tough as nails.

Just some input to consider

BOHNTR
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Marine Moeller coolers........built exactly like Yeti but much cheaper. I had plenty of ice in mine after 9 days of hunting in temps that got into the 80's.

dito
06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I thought this was pretty helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U&feature=player_embedded From what I remember the coleman kept ice the longest.

Elkoholic307
06-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I just got the 65 quart Yeti. Don't know how good it is yet but have high expectations. Looking forward to using it this fall.

tdub24
06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I thought this was pretty helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U&feature=player_embedded From what I remember the coleman kept ice the longest.

Thanks for the link, it good to see the Colemans I use do good in a controlled setting against the Yeti. I too was thinking about buying a Yeti, but the fear of theft was too great. Hunter ethics are not as good as they once were.

TooFarEast
06-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Rather then spend the money on a Yeti, i am going to take the DIY approach. I am going to try to build a large 200qt ice box for my elk hunt this year since I will be traveling cross country. It will be a little too heavy for everyday use, but I dont plan on moving it around much once it is in the back of the truck and filled up. Here is the link to how I want to build it...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/building-an-efficient-icebox-2/

Don't let the article fool you, because their products are very expensive, but I am sure I can do it for less than 1/2 the cost of a yeti. Also, I know some people in the boat building business here locally so I hope to get a discount on the fiberglass epoxy. Will let you guys know how it goes once I get the project underway.

hardstalk
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I just scored a couple sheets of siding. Its 1/8 inch sheet metal on the outsides and 2 and 3/4 inch thick insulation on the inside the sheets are 18'x3' how big is too big when building a cooler? the guys said it has an r value of about r-12 or r-14. And apparently they have alot of scrap pieces that they usually throw away.... Not anymore!

BKC
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
how big is too big when building a cooler? This is too big!3649 I got a good deal on this one.

Muleys 24/7
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
This is too big!3649 I got a good deal on this one.

Looks like that thing is the size of the whole pickup bed.:eek:

hardstalk
06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree that is too big! id go broke trying to fill it with ice! Cut all the sides today to fit snug in my dodge all said and done if my math is right it will be right at 200 quarts. Wife is out of town so ive gotta rush it together before she gets back ("seriously another project!") i can already hear it. Im hoping it will look like an aftermarket fuel tank when im done. Nice and snug and flush with the top of the bed. I think ill mount a hi lift jack on top of it just for shi## and giggles. And finish it off with a coat of rhino lining.3651 no room in the 3 car garage to build it thats why its so shade tree if you were wondering..

hardstalk
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Day 2 of the build...3658365936603661

Drhorsepower
06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I have never thought of building one, this is great guys! Hardstalk, do you mind on a spec sheet and review on how it holds up in that Vegas heat?

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Dr I have a few walkin freezer panels that you can cut down to size if you want to do this for real. 4" thick insulation with stucco finish aluminum on both sides. Or anyone in Reno for that matter. I can usually get my hands on panels if interested.

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh and they are usually 4x8 panels

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree that is too big! id go broke trying to fill it with ice! Cut all the sides today to fit snug in my dodge all said and done if my math is right it will be right at 200 quarts. Wife is out of town so ive gotta rush it together before she gets back ("seriously another project!") i can already hear it. Im hoping it will look like an aftermarket fuel tank when im done. Nice and snug and flush with the top of the bed. I think ill mount a hi lift jack on top of it just for shi## and giggles. And finish it off with a coat of rhino lining.3651 no room in the 3 car garage to build it thats why its so shade tree if you were wondering..

Great idea on the rhino lining!

hardstalk
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Day 3 its comin together...36623663

Still have some sheetmetal work to do. rhino line. and figure out a way to seal the inside. Im thinking some sort of roofing epoxy but havent quite figured it out. Ill get a spec sheet when i have more time. P.s its weighing in at every bit of 200 pounds. Possibly pushing 250 barely managable without equipment getting involved.

Drhorsepower
06-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Still have some sheetmetal work to do. rhino line. and figure out a way to seal the inside. Im thinking some sort of roofing epoxy but havent quite figured it out. Ill get a spec sheet when i have more time. P.s its weighing in at every bit of 200 pounds. Possibly pushing 250 barely managable without equipment getting involved.

It looks good but that is heavy.

Ikeepitcold
06-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Wow that's is heavy! But like you said once its in the truck it will stay there so it doesn't really matter. I think it looks great and I bet it will will hold ice well and you can really load that thing up with meat.

hardstalk
06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Thats what im hoping i have 3 hunts this season all in the same 12 days so hopefully i kill something and i wont have to run into town franticly trying to get ice. Just reduces one more variable. I mocked it up in the truck yesterday and the handles are too wide i made it really tight. Ill cut them off and mount them on the lid.

BKC
06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
This is too big!3649 I got a good deal on this one. This one is about 160 to 180 lbs ( one person can drag it and lift one end into the truck or trailer, two people can carry it easy)and I am going to put it on a trailer because I don't want to have to deal with it 100% of the time because it takes up a lot of space.

hardstalk
06-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Day 4 the end is near...3676

Rhino lining complete.

Ikeepitcold
06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Day 4 the end is near...3676

Rhino lining complete.

Bad ass! Now you will need to test how long it will keep ice.

hardstalk
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Im tempted to change my handle to IKEEPEMCOLD. :) whats the pros and cons of dry ice?

Ikeepitcold
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Im tempted to change my handle to IKEEPEMCOLD. :) whats the pros and cons of dry ice?

Hahah there at go! I like to use both. A layer of dry ice at the bottom cover with paper bags or burlap then regular layer of ice ontop of that then you game meat. The dry ice will freeze the regular ice but it won't be so cold to burn your game meat. Usually last quite a bit longer then regular ice. Dry ice is a little spendy.

hardstalk
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Here is what im pondering ikic. Im not much of a fridge guy by trade.. Kinda like a smoker but bass ackwards. If i get a small styrofoam box to place inside the cooler. Fill it with dry ice and inderectly cool the space with dry ice. Without having to use water ice and avioding alot of mess. It makes sence in my mind but so do alot of things most dont agree with. Whattya think?

hardstalk
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
36793680 nice and snug.

Ikeepitcold
06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Here is what im pondering ikic. Im not much of a fridge guy by trade.. Kinda like a smoker but bass ackwards. If i get a small styrofoam box to place inside the cooler. Fill it with dry ice and inderectly cool the space with dry ice. Without having to use water ice and avioding alot of mess. It makes sence in my mind but so do alot of things most dont agree with. Whattya think?

Sounds like a test to me. Not sure if it will work. It might be cold were the cooler of ice is placed in the big chest. So I would say try to put it in the center and drop a thermometer in it and see what happens. Good idea

Ikeepitcold
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
36793680 nice and snug.

I think that looks sick! Maybe a patend should be considered. Maybe A tool box with a ice chest in the bottom?

hardstalk
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I rhino lined the piss out of the inside so it doubled as both. I was thinkin about building a removable wall in the center to seperate the areas. Ive got 10 lbs of dry ice in the center ill let you know if the mountains turn blue. :).

Ikeepitcold
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
I rhino lined the piss out of the inside so it doubled as both. I was thinkin about building a removable wall in the center to seperate the areas. Ive got 10 lbs of dry ice in the center ill let you know if the mountains turn blue. :).

Hahhaha love the blue mountains! I think the health dept should just look for the blue and say to hell with the thermometers!!

BKC
06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Here is what im pondering ikic. Im not much of a fridge guy by trade.. Kinda like a smoker but bass ackwards. If i get a small styrofoam box to place inside the cooler. Fill it with dry ice and inderectly cool the space with dry ice. Without having to use water ice and avioding alot of mess. It makes sence in my mind but so do alot of things most dont agree with. Whattya think? Hardstalk, This is what I have found out about dry ice. When it sublimates ( gasses coming off the dry ice when it is exposed to the atmosphere) the gases are at abot 90 below zero. This would keep it plenty cold on the inside of your cooler but the gases produced will taint the flavor of whats inside. I've read that people who go on multiday raft trips that use dry ice say that the food starts to take on the smell and flavor of dry ice. I would think that you would not want to take the chances of having a whole elk or deer or ? taste that way. If you store the dry ice in a seperate container within the cooler that is vented so the gases can cool the rest of the cooler and the ice stored inside, then when all your dry ice is sublimated you still have bagged ice that is at 90 degrees below zero. Now the ice starts to warm but it takes a couple of days untill it gets to 32 degrees when the ice actually starts to melt. I plan on doing this and when I put my deer or elk in it I will make sure there is no dry ice in the cooler. The other tip I read was if you still have dry ice when you start to put your game in it you can put the dry ice in a smaller cooler and rotate regular ice from the big cooler to the small cooler to refreeze it. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I am going to try this year. What are your thoughts IKIC ?

Ikeepitcold
06-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Hardstalk, This is what I have found out about dry ice. When it sublimates ( gasses coming off the dry ice when it is exposed to the atmosphere) the gases are at abot 90 below zero. This would keep it plenty cold on the inside of your cooler but the gases produced will taint the flavor of whats inside. I've read that people who go on multiday raft trips that use dry ice say that the food starts to take on the smell and flavor of dry ice. I would think that you would not want to take the chances of having a whole elk or deer or ? taste that way. If you store the dry ice in a seperate container within the cooler that is vented so the gases can cool the rest of the coo

ler and the ice stored inside, then when all your dry ice is sublimated you still have bagged ice that is at 90 degrees below zero. Now the ice starts to warm but it takes a couple of days untill it gets to 32 degrees when the ice actually starts to melt. I plan on doing this and when I put my deer or elk in it I will make sure there is no dry ice in the cooler. The other tip I read was if you still have dry ice when you start to put your game in it you can put the dry ice in a smaller cooler and rotate regular ice from the big cooler to the small cooler to refreeze it. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I am going to try this year. What are your thoughts IKIC ?

That does make sense to me. Like I said before I use both and don't ever remember have a bad taste or odor.

Colorado Cowboy
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Been reading this thread with a lot of interest. Now I know why all the fish I used to bring back from Baja tasted like the dry ice smelled. Learn somthing new everyday!

hardstalk
06-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Not overly impressed with my idea. Mountains are not blue and the case of water was right at room tempature this a.m It is a very large cooler so it may work but will take alot more than 10 lbs. come season time i think i will go with both dry and wet. It will take some experimenting to keep it cold for 10-12 days.

Ikeepitcold
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Keep us informed on the results of your experiments. I think your on the rite track. Good luck!

Drhorsepower
06-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Not overly impressed with my idea. Mountains are not blue and the case of water was right at room tempature this a.m It is a very large cooler so it may work but will take alot more than 10 lbs. come season time i think i will go with both dry and wet. It will take some experimenting to keep it cold for 10-12 days.

Hardstalk, I'm loving your cooler, can I make a suggestion? The rhino lining is a great idea, maybe if you paint it white over the top though your ice will last longer. Black absorbs heat while white reflects it.

BKC
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Not overly impressed with my idea. Mountains are not blue and the case of water was right at room tempature this a.m It is a very large cooler so it may work but will take alot more than 10 lbs. come season time i think i will go with both dry and wet. It will take some experimenting to keep it cold for 10-12 days. Hardstalk, What day and what time did you start with the dry ice and how long did it take to use all the dry ice. It sounds like the dry ice went pretty fast?

Jerry
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I've always had the best luck with block ice wrapped in newspaper. It will last a week easy if you keep the cooler in the shade or covered. Fill plastic milk cartons with water and freeze them and you don't have to worry about water getting all over everything!

hardstalk
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Dr. Ive contemplated the white. Im at the ranch currently and the sun doesnt seem to hinder the temp at the moment. Vegas may be a different story. There is a fine line between style and function when it comes to my taste :)

hardstalk
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Bkc in a 24 hour period ive lost 1/2 of the dry ice. And the cooler is very well insulated. I originally purchased 10 lbs of dry ice and left it in a styrofoam cooler inside the box with the lid off.

hardstalk
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Jerry- do you remove the ice from the plastic wrapping and the wrap it in newspaper? And your talking wet ice blocks correct?

Jerry
06-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Jerry- do you remove the ice from the plastic wrapping and the wrap it in newspaper? And your talking wet ice blocks correct?
No we don't remove them from the plastic, and yes it is just regular wet ice! When we use the milk jugs we still wrap them also. The extra insulation really helps.

Ikeepitcold
06-23-2012, 08:45 PM
No we don't remove them from the plastic, and yes it is just regular wet ice! When we use the milk jugs we still wrap them also. The extra insulation really helps.

I do like the idea of the milk jugs! No melted water everywhere.

Jerry
06-23-2012, 10:17 PM
It keeps everything a lot nicer in the chest.

hardstalk
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Update: 120lbs of ice i purchased friday. Still holding around 65% of the ice. Water runs out of bottom of cooler pretty freely. Need to get it sealed up. Happy with the results especially on a homemade cooler its been antelope scouting over the weekend and in town on friday part of sunday and today. Temps here are around 105 during the day. And yes the mountains are still blue!

Drhorsepower
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Update: 120lbs of ice i purchased friday. Still holding around 65% of the ice. Water runs out of bottom of cooler pretty freely. Need to get it sealed up. Happy with the results especially on a homemade cooler its been antelope scouting over the weekend and in town on friday part of sunday and today. Temps here are around 105 during the day. And yes the mountains are still blue!

Coolio, did you see any decent pronghorn? 105? Your more of a man than I am! I couldn't do it.

hardstalk
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Woke up and it was 87 this morning thats at 4am. To be honest my hat is off to you doc. Im not a cold weather guy. In the heat you sweat and it feels good if it gets to be too much some cold water on the neck cools ya right off. In the cold... Your Fu€|ed! Its just cold! Saw a few bombers out of about 200 i would chase 2-3 found some good water up high. Nice starting spot. And i would really prefer to stay high when chasing these guys. Im gonna need all the p.j cover i can get!

Texans42
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I fish a lot at the coast down here and the igloos just don't hold up... Crack, delaiminate, hinges break, and screw eventually
Pull out.

Just ordered a grizzly. Have a brute outdoors which is a yeti knock off... A lot cheeper and does well but think the grizzly will out do it on ice retention.

For all you with igloos a good quick fix for busted hinges is cut a piece of Ratchet strap and put it behind the hinge,

wolftalonID
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
If your cooler is leaking water freely, then its not rated for Dry Ice. CO2 is heavier than air. If it leaks out the bottom of the cooler as it sublimates, then it wont have the proper cooling effect. Its also going to create a down draft from that leak drawing in warmer air from outside.

Get the leaks from water stopped and you will find that the Dry Ice will perform much much better.

Murdy
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
"If your cooler is leaking water freely, then its not rated for Dry Ice."
Do coolers state if they are rated for dry ice? I've never noticed that, but, then again, maybe I've just been looking at cheap coolers.

dihardhunter
07-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't know if this has been suggested yet. Should you paint the top white to reflect heat instead of absorbing heat as the black lining might?

Also, interesting stuff about the dry ice vapors tainting meat. I've used it several times to transport meat from out West back home to my side of the Mississippi and never experienced that.

hardstalk
07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Yea that was mentioned. But its tough to bring myself to paint it white when it looks so good matching in the back of the truck. Ill give it a whirl this season and see if i deem it necessary.