PDA

View Full Version : lightweight boots for archery season.. need some

crumy
06-19-2012, 05:00 PM
I am looking for some lightweight boots for archery season. There are so many out there and I don't want to go through 3 pair to figure it out. I know you have opinions so let me hear them please.

Jim

CrimsonArrow
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I've really liked my Cabelas silent sneaker un-insulated boots. They're lightweight, waterproof, and cool enough to wear in the early archery season. Sometimes they come on sale for 89.99, which fits me, cause I'm not into spending hundreds on a pair of boots.

NVBird'n'Big
06-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I love my Cabela's Full Draw, they come in uninsulated or 200-gr. Lightweight and the sole sticks to rocks like glue.

archer8524
06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree with CrimsonArrow. They are the awesome!

pcc2b
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
In the past I have used the Keen Targhee. Lightweight, waterproof, no break in period and super comfortable. Not the easiest boots to look at though. I just recently started using trail runners for the early season. I really like the nimble feeling that light shoes provide.

JNDEER
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Vasque breeze gtx

Ikeepitcold
06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I have Lowa Tibets. I like them alot but I think they are a little heavy, and for uninsulated they can still get warmer then I would like.

packer58
06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
I love my Danner Jackals, light weight, waterproof and also sticks to the rocks.

tdub24
06-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I just bought a pair of Crispi Wild. They are unbelievably light at 1.8 pounds per boot. The ankle system is very nice and the boot feels like it springs you forward as you walk. I haven't had the opportunity to get them in the hills yet, so I do not know how hot they will be. If I get the opportunity this Thursday, I will update. Its supposed to be 98 here in NE Nevada, so I think that will give a great test to breathe ability.

Archery10
06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
The lowa tibets are a great boot!

BenHuntin
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Lowa renegades are light and comfortable. The pair ways in at 2.7 lbs and if you buy them at REI as a member they have a great return policy if you tear them apart. So you don't have to buy a new pair.

slim jim
06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I just got the new Crispi summit gtx on the first of June. Right out the box with my green super feet, I hiked 8 miles with about a 2000 ft. ascent and a 40lb pack. Very comfortable, lightweight (1.4 lb. per boot), no hot spots, no blisters, and good ankle support which is important if you do a lot of backcountry hunting with a heavy pack. I already have about 30 miles in them and have no regrets with the purchase. Can't wait to hunt in them during the August mule deer hunt.

GameSlayer
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
I have had the Kenetrek Mt Extreme 400 for a year plus now and I like them so much I want to get the KENETREK HARDSCRABBLE HIKERs to go with them for the early season hunts.

sjsmallfield
06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I have a pair of Danner Jackals that I used last year during the early season and I love them. Also I just picked up a pair of Vasque
Breeze and have been pretty happy with them so far. Can't wait to wear them out scouting next month.

HuskyMusky
06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Danner makes or use to make a sneaker/boot that looked interesting.

I've seen 1 hunter wearing sneakers and I think I read about some pro who also wore sneakers, combine them with liner socks/wool socks, your feet may be wet, but should remain warm... at least during an archery hunt may be a nice option.

Wild Country
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I tried quiet a few boots before I went with UA Speed Freaks for my early season. Also, bought them through cabelas cuz they have a one year warranty some that sold the speed freaks only offered 30 days.

Fink
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Danner makes or use to make a sneaker/boot that looked interesting.

I've seen 1 hunter wearing sneakers and I think I read about some pro who also wore sneakers, combine them with liner socks/wool socks, your feet may be wet, but should remain warm... at least during an archery hunt may be a nice option.

I wouldn't think you would get enough support with sneakers in the mountains. That said, I love wearing my sneakers on turkey hunts in Western KS, and antelope hunts in WY.

Texans42
07-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Peak freak from columiba with outdry. Very light weight 17oz a shoe, yet very sturdy

sleepymoewi
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Lots of good, high quality boots out there. Zamberlan is worth every penny, and I save them only for archery hunting the west. too expensive for me to wear all the time.

O'Harrow
07-16-2012, 02:59 AM
I am in the same boat. I believe that I will just go ahead and try to wear my merrel sneakers seeing how money is tight. I have been searching around for some good ones but all that I can find thats worth it is way out of my price range because I need something with custom foot beds like lathrop and sons. A little case of the curly toe sure puts a damper on things price wise and total distance covered wich really gets me worried that I will not meet my full potential this year. Sucks cause I already missed a few years in the service and wanna get back to it.

Fink
07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Danner Pronghorn w/ synergy footbed inserts update: I recently started hiking the local hills around here, with about 60 pounds in my pack.. The hills aren't too steep, about 175 ft of elevation change over 1/5 of a mile or so.. I've put about 8-10 miles on the boots, and the were extremely comfortable from the get go. My boots are the uninsulated version, and my feet sweat a little, but it's nothing that a sock change every few hours won't cure.

For about $200 shipped to my door, with custom inserts, I'm impressed with the boots. Tons of ankle and arch support, and I can really cinch them down tight for no slipage.. My only qualms are where the tounge tucks into the boot, it gets a little uncomfortable. In talking to the Lathrops though, it sounds like this will remedy itself soon. All in all, an excellent boot for the price.

crumy
07-16-2012, 09:20 AM
I just bought the silent stalk sneakers for 130 and took them on a 10 mile round trip. Very light but offer great side hill and ankle support.

elk*hunter
07-17-2012, 11:23 PM
If you got the cash Lowa, Kenetrek, or LaSportiva. Easy break-in on Lowa's....Good luck.

dihardhunter
07-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I wear Salomon 4D Cosmics - little loud colorwise, but sub 3 pounds for the pair and a high performance boot from the backpacking community. Love em'.