PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting burned areas

pcc2b
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a question for you experienced elk hunters out there. I have been building points for years to hunt a great area in WY for elk. The area I plan on hunting is currently on fire. I know that burns are great places to hunt for elk b/c of all the nutrition the new growth provides, but how long after the burn should you wait to hunt it? 1 year, 2 yrs, or longer? If I am going to "burn" (pun intended) all my points, I want to make sure I hit it just right. I would probably draw next year, but I am willing to wait if the burned area will just get better with time. Thanks for your help!

birdhunter
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Ive seen elk in burn areas the next year and have also seen them completely leave a burned area. It would be a good idea to scout it or even call a biologist to see if they are in the area.

NorthT
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Kinda got the same problem this year. Already have gotten tag but area I was looking at may be on fire by then. Also how far will that push all the elk out of that area? couple miles or like 10?

hvfd21walker
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I have seen elk in burns within the few next days. Imo the elk are gonna come back to there home territory unless it got decimated.

Old Hunter
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
They had a controlled burn in one of my hunting areas last summer. It looks perfect right now. I'll be hunting on it for sure.

Any sooner, and you're going to getting pretty dirty.

meathunter
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
The fall should be alright as I have hunted elk in a fire zone. There are usually patches of areas that don't burn and the elk will be in there and the burn areas. Seen elk taken with ashes up to about a foot on their legs.

Sometimes in a large fire zone, the Forest Service will close off access to some areas and roads for "public safety" concerns. Been there twice in AZ hunts and it can be hard to access the better areas.

Best time is usually in one to three years. I would wait for one or two years before you use the points. The new growth is a magnet to the elk as this opens up an area and the grass grows better in the full sun with a higher nutrient value from the ash.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
The best elk hunting I have ever had was in the big burns for the first three years after the fires. I believe hvfd21walker might agree...

hvfd21walker
07-24-2012, 11:00 PM
BB I dont know what ur talking bout. LOL maybe pic of my bull from last year.