PDA

View Full Version : Leupold rifle scope

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know (BB you know who you are) if Leupold offers a stop on the elevation turret? So if you zero in your scope at say 200 yds you can set a stop on the adjustment so no matter how many times you turn the turret you can turn it back to the stop and your back at 200 yds.

bigshot
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I have several Leupolds with CDS and they have a stop on the top turrent.

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I have several Leupolds with CDS and they have a stop on the top turrent.

I guess I'll be sending my scopes into the custom shop again.

bigshot
06-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Yea I really like the CDS, works like a charm and they go straight back to dead nutts at 200 yards every time.

bigshot
06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Forgot to mention if you decide to get the CDS on your Leupold, it will arrive with a universal top turret, which does not have a stop, so you sight in your scope to your rifle first. Once sighted in, you then take off the universal turret and put on the custom dial turret. The custom dial turret has the stop at 200 yards or where ever you request it to be when you order it (Your Zero). You will need the following information when you order the custom dial; Type of caliber, bullet Make and model, bullet weight, muzzle velocity, elevation, and your sight-in or zero (200 yards for all of mine).

The approximate cost was $100.00 for the CDS to be placed on the scope and $50.00 per custom dial, so your looking at about $150.00 total. Turn around time was about one month.

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanx. I have all my scopes sent in to the custom shop for turrets to be built with my info for each gun. Glad they offer it!

Drhorsepower
06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
You better get on it ikic, this is probably the busy time of the year for them, you need it before August?

Ikeepitcold
06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
You better get on it ikic, this is probably the busy time of the year for them, you need it before August?

Not me! I won't be shooting shizz this year! Maybe a coyote or a bear but I have other guns for that. :-( Wy hurt me deep inside were I'm soft like a girl!

Bitterroot Bulls
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Leupold does offer a stop with the CDS. The catch is you only get one rotation of the turret, too, so that will limit your range. Vortex has a "rotation stop" shim system on the PSTs and HS/LRs that gets you on the right rotation, but you have to line up the zero. Vortex also makes custom BDC dials for those scopes.

Both are good options with some limitations.

I will not be making a comment on your last post, IKIC.

Ikeepitcold
06-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Leupold does offer a stop with the CDS. The catch is you only get one rotation of the turret, too, so that will limit your range. Vortex has a "rotation stop" shim system on the PSTs and HS/LRs that gets you on the right rotation, but you have to line up the zero. Vortex also makes custom BDC dials for those scopes.

Both are good options with some limitations.

I will not be making a comment on your last post, IKIC.

Hahahha I was waiting for a clever comment on that last one from you.

Thanx for the info as always it's all about the details. If I can't turn the turret more then one turn that won't work for me. I shoot out to 1k yards and it's up to almost 3 turns on the turret.

I think I'm going to look into the Vortex and Night Force too.

Bitterroot Bulls
06-21-2012, 07:46 AM
If you are looking at Nightforce w/ Zero Stop, then you could (should) be looking at the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50. The Zero Stop is awesome, the glass is better than NF, and you have 5 MIL per turn or 10 MIL per turn options. The reticles are great too.

If you don't NEED a Zero stop, the best deal going on a long range tactical scope is the SWFA SS HD 5-20X50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iEK-tVheg8

BKC
06-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Do any of you guys have a cds turret and have your rifle sighted in at 300 yards. My thinking is that I can estimate out to 300 yards with some degree of reliabilty ( even if I am off by 40-50 yards at 300 it shouldnt be a big deal, I'm shooting a 300 win mag). At almost 3100 fps, 200 to 300 is not much difference. If they are 200 yards or less, I would hold just a little low. If you had game at well over three hundred then in theory, you would have less turning on your turret. Thoughts?

Bitterroot Bulls
06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
What load are you shooting, BKC?

The problem with a 300 yard zero is your POI at closer ranges (like 150) is going to be pretty high.

BKC
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Barnes ttxp 180 gr. w/ r-19 at 3100 fps I understand about close shots but I think a guy could figure out to hold a little low if they needed to. This would make easier to get off a quick shot on anything up to about 350 without having to touch your scope.

Bitterroot Bulls
06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Lots of people run their rigs like that, and it works for them just fine.

I prefer to run a 200 yard zero, and dial (or hold with a calibrated reticle) for anything 300 and out. I usually have plenty of time if the range is over 300.

Colorado Cowboy
06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Lots of people run their rigs like that, and it works for them just fine.

I prefer to run a 200 yard zero, and dial (or hold with a calibrated reticle) for anything 300 and out. I usually have plenty of time if the range is over 300.

Yep, couldn't agree more.