PDA

View Full Version : Unit 45 Pecos Wilderness

Bullhonkey
06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi All, Got drawn for the muzzleloader elk hunt in New Mexico 45. Wondering if anyone else got drawn or is going for the bowhunt. Any scouting reports or other helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Will be in the Peco Wilderness area trying to get my first elk. Thanks in advance.

jay
06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
have you hunted here before?

NoMoreOldNo7
06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Check your messages, I sent you a PM. Btw, you know anything about unit 67 for Antelope or unit 38 for Elk in Wyoming?

One last thing, 1 post since Sept 2011?????? You gotta get more involved here.

Good luck, hunt hard but hunt safe

Bullhonkey
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi Jay,

Yeah, I was fortunate enough to draw last year as well, but didn't end up harvesting anything on my first elk hunt. It was a great trip with my bro and Dad and am really excited to go back. We stayed on HM last year in a drop camp, but we are thinking we want to go in farther this year. What a great time of year to be out in the mountains for us flat landers!?! We will be on foot once we set up base camp. Feel free to PM if you would rather.

NoMoreOldNo7--Thanks for the PM. Sorry no help on Wyoming at all, but if you need any advice on any whitetails in MN, I am your guy!

Thanks
Chris

zia
06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Will be horseback on the east side for a few days hauling salt, be back late next week, let you know what I see.

NDHunter
06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Take a look at this thread. Should be something good in there for you.

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/509-Elk-in-the-pecos-wilderness

Bullhonkey
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Zia, that would be much appreciated. Thanks ND I did read that one, but thanks for the help.

jay
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM
sent you a pm bull honkey

zia
06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Doesn't look like finding elk should be a problem, saw large groups of 50 or so cows, calves and spikes in several different drainages. The bigger bulls were of course off by themselves in groups of 3-5 but it looks like antler growth is excellent. Right now most of the elk I saw were near or above timberline, our challenge was to find salting sites for the bighorn that the elk wouldn't destroy immediately. Have another loop to make salting the northern part but I suspect it will be the same...lots of elk in high ground at or above timberline. 36943695

zia
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM

zia
06-30-2012, 11:45 AM
great country, rock-footed pintos

Zim
06-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Wish I were going back this year, but failed to draw. Will instead be headed in the opposite direction this fall. Of all places..........New Hampshire? Thought I would be shut out of any tags anywhere this year before beating 1% draw odds and lucking out with a bull moose tag. As far as the Pecos, I will miss it. I will rely on your guys updates and photos to get me through September. Will be rooting for you guys to score big. ;)

ntspdy
07-16-2012, 12:19 AM
My buddy and I were fortunate enough to draw the same tag Bullhonkey. We're really looking forward to the hunt. Can't beat those high elevation hunts. I talked to an elk biologist for NM and he said the elk look good in 45. Think Zia's pics back that up. Thanks for posting up the pics. Gives us some extra motivation. Btw, for you locals or regulars to the Pecos, whats a respectable bull for unit 45? I'm by no means a trophy hunter but I like to know where to set my expectations. Also, any recommended packers? We plan on hiking in and out but would like to prepare ahead just in case we get in a bind. If I can get out there, I might do a three or four day scouting trip towards the end of August. If I do, I'll let you know what we find.

zia
07-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Just got back from another salting trip, packed 400# . The gps said 29 miles, highest elevation 12,614 feet (last trip it was 12,640 feet). Tired, beat-up horses and rider...I will try to post some pictures soon. Saw quite a few elk, not nearly as many as last trip but they do look like they are doing well. If I had a tag I would shoot most any legal bull, too many things can happen..weather etc. I thought Zims archery bull last year was a tremendous bull for the unit.

zia
07-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Sorry no elk pictures this trip, saw 100-120 but they were lower in the bowls below timberline.

Bullhonkey
07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Zia for the updates and especially the pics!! Definitely got my heart pumping!! How has the rainfall been this year up there? Thanks again for the posts and comments. Good luck to all on their hunts this year! Got a MN bear tag to try and fill this September then my focus will be on one of those beautiful bulls and that beautiful country...

bern0134
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Zia, have you seen any decent bucks on your trips? My dad, father-in-law and myself have deer tags in the area.

zia
07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
bern I dont believe I have seen a single deer on those loops, maybe they are lower or I am missing them

ntspdy
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey Zia, what's the cell service like up there? I'm sure it's horrible if not non-existent back in the wilderness but how is it near Cowles or off of HW 63? Reason I ask is I plan on hiking in but want to have a packer on standby just in case I end up too deep. While on that topic, you have any recommendations on some reliable packers?

zia
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
ntspdy, my cell phone is pretty spotty once I get in the canyon above Pecos, I do get some coverage on top of and west of Trail Riders and S.Truchas where I can see Espanola from altitude. On the east side I dont get any coverage which is good. You might call Bear Creek adventures or Ley's at the Tererro general store to see if they will pack you or know anybody that might.

460s&w
08-12-2012, 10:41 AM
i was up in pacos for the first time on memorial day weekend. loved it saw lots of nice deer and big number of elk when on my hikes fishing was amazing if you start to starve haha. but I had absolutly no cell phone reception the second i got close. I would love to draw this tag someday. lots of great medows and good glassing chances and the elk i did see were around 9,000-9500 feet

Bullhonkey
09-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi Zia, Have you been back up in Pecos at all? If so, any updates are greatly appreciated. Heard bulls are bugling pretty decent in other ares, but wondering if the same is happening in 45. Also, if anyone is/was up in Pecos bowhunting, any comments or input would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a safe and succesful hunting season!

zia
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
just for a few hours , caught some fish but didnt see any elk. Been in 16a and heading to Wyoming tomorrow....good luck on your hunt!

Brady
09-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Nice pics Zia, thanks for sharing. One of my friends had a buddy who killed a 250" bull in the Pecos last year. They packed in deep with horses. I don't know any more details, sorry.

zia
09-18-2012, 01:06 AM
I was in the Pecos Sunday, lots of bugling, about got run over by some cows and a nice bull. Anybody having any luck?

jay
09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll be going in on Sunday as powder season starts on Monday. Getting new shoes on the horses today hopefully! Got a deer tag burning a hole in my pocket...Sunday can't come soon enough!!!! Hopefully we have the same luck as last year.

zia
09-18-2012, 10:47 PM
good luck Jay!

jay
09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
thanks zia!

Bullhonkey
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the update Zia, hopefully they stay bugling through muzzie season! Good luck on your hunt Jay!! Look forward to some pics when you get back.

jay
09-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks bullhonky, do you have a muzzle elk tag for the 6th? My son has that hunt as well.

Bullhonkey
09-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, sure do and am really excited.

ntspdy
09-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I got the same tag Bullhonkey. If you want to share notes hit me up.

gene so
09-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Hello,

I have retired to northern New Mexico from Seattle and only yesterday first heard of the Pecos wilderness area 45 for elk, bighorn sheep and Mule deer. Apparently this huge area starts about ten miles south/west of me. Apparently there is a good elk herd in the wilderness and a pretty fair herd of sheep. I was told that Mule deer do exist inn this wiilderness, but not so many, which in an area dominated by elk seems perfectly natural to me. What I do not understand is that I was told that due to the amount of backpacking in this huge area that the sheep are more used to people than in other areas I have been aware of. Apparently drawing a tag is extremely difficult. This being so, why do they allow 1/2 curl rams to be legally taken?

If anyone wished to share info on area 45, I would be happy to receive it.

Gene So

Zim
09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

gene so, Ya I think these sheep would qualify as more used to people than most areas. They behave like mosquitos. I am told this is due to backpackers feeding them salty treats. However, the legal rams are not so aggressive.

I have been following the thread hoping to see some elk & deer photos soon. No tag for me this year.

Good luck to those up there or heading there soon.

zia
09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Zim, I was around the drainage you shot your bull earlier this summer, wondered where u went. Maybe you can draw next year, good luck! We will be horseback in the pecos quite a bit in the next few weeks moving cows off the forest.

Zim
09-23-2012, 10:18 PM
zia, I'm headed in the opposite direction this year. Drew an OIL tag for New Hampshire moose. 1% draw odds with max points. It's a trophy moose area, but I am not excited about it. I miss the Rockies and the challenge of backpack hunting the high country. Leaving for NH in 2 weeks. I'll be checking in on this thread while at a place called the Hawg Trawf. They got wifi.

zia
09-23-2012, 10:47 PM
best of luck Zim!

jay
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
well guys, back to work this morning "resting" from a looong hunt. Things were slow this year for this hunt. Last year we were able to tag out by the second day. I guess that could have been the case this year as we passed on several smaller bucks. We were finally able to get it done on the third day filling my brothers tag. I however, wasn't able to tag out this year but was all worth it seeing my bro put his hands on his muley! Hope to post some better pics later.

bern0134
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice Buck!!

sjsmallfield
10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow what a stud. Congrats to your bro!

ntspdy
10-02-2012, 01:10 AM
That's a good looking buck.

jay
10-02-2012, 09:30 AM
thanks guys, we worked hard for him.

jay
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
gotta give props to 3 buddies who hunted alongside us, it wouldn't have been possible without them. Thanks guys!

Zim
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh wow I never saw any that big last year. Definite stud!

ntspdy
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Well I'm heading out in the morning for the Pecos. Been looking forward to this hunt so it's going to be nice hitting the trail. Good luck to all hitting the woods over the next few days. If I'm lucky I'll post some pics.

zia
10-02-2012, 11:27 PM
great buck, well done gentlemen. Dont feel bad Zim, I have been horseback in the Pecos for several weeks total this summer and fall and still havnt seen a buck that big.... good on ya Jay and crew!

jay
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
thanks guys!

ando_31
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Very nice jay. Love the deep forks all the way around. Hope your bro is happy with that pig.

jay
10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Another inconsiderate hunter grip! Had a bull scouted out for about a week before my sons muzzleloader hunt. Well guess what, got to the area well before dark, was packing our bags for the days hunt when I see a headlamp coming from one end and a truck coming from the other. Talk about a kick in the gut, I hate that shit! Took me half a day to find him just to have those other guys mess up our game and blow them out. Nevertheless, the bulls are definitely not bugling making it a tough year. Seen a herd last night about a mile away in private property:(

ntspdy
10-20-2012, 11:42 AM
That sucks Jay. Never fun when you put in a lot of hard work to have it ruined by something like that. Unfortunately I struck out this year. Running around up around Jacks Creek and Iron Gate for six days and only saw six elk, all cows. The wind SUCKED and the bulls weren't talking much. Anyone else have any luck?

jay
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
sorry to hear that ntspdy...they had told me there was a good bull hanging out in there. While we were up there hunting there was very little bugling going on, I think they rutted early this year. Maybe next year...

Zim
10-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi guys. This is a bummer. I missed the Pecos and have been continually checking this thread for photos. I think my favorite place on earth.

I'm checking in from the other side of the country........Shapleigh, Maine. Just concluded 8 days scouting, 7 days hunting in New Hampshire for moose. Very rough logging terrain. Totally different hunting culture and traditions. Calamity of errors and a horrible guide I hired to extract my moose destroyed my cape. But antlers and meat survived ordeal. A logger ended up saving my hunt. He put me on a toad of a bull moose I was able to harvest on the 2nd to last day. Way top end bull. Feel very lucky.

When I drive home to Illinois aat least I'll be closer to the Pecos. Hope to draw next year.

jay
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
congrats on the bull zim, post some pics...

Zim
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Moose_hunt/2012_moose_hunt_gallery.html

You can find me on there in the middle. Nice result but the entire mountain experience was nothing like the Pecos!

Taz
12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Heck of a bull Zim! Did you upgrade your meet wagon?

Congrats!!

Zim
12-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Heck of a bull Zim! Did you upgrade your meet wagon?

Congrats!!

Hi Taz, How was your deer season this year? Wish I had decent private to hunt late season. The public is absolute garbage by this time of year. Will go down to JEPC to hunt/scout late Jan/Feb.

Meat wagon still alive and kickin at 248K miles. Runnin like a champ. :)

My NH hunt was much like my Pecos hunt last year. Almost no action the whole hunt, then bam, toad down. Not real fun but good for wall decoration.

NH was an OIL tag, and I hope to return to the Pecos in 2013. With the new NR deal, I'll likely have to do a drop camp this time.

Zim
12-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Here's a better view of the rack. I was incredibly lucky. Paddles are about as good as NH gets. Real nice tines and mass too.

The first idiot I paid to extract the moose tried to drag it out 1/4 mile with a chain saw winch and 400' of rope. He trashed much of the cape and then almost killed himself when the winch broke free and flew 100'. What an idiot. I ended up hiring a logger to come get it with his skidder. Far cry from my Pecos "extraction"! :)

ntspdy
04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Anybody put in for 45 this year? I'm in for the muzzleloader. Good luck to all.

jay
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Anybody put in for 45 this year? I'm in for the muzzleloader. Good luck to all.

Deer or Elk? I put in for deer...

ntspdy
05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
I put in for elk but struck out.

jay
05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
I put in for elk but struck out.

that's too bad, i drew deer muzzle...

kesand72
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone! First time post. A friend and I drew Pecos elk tags ( unit 45) Oct 12 to 16 hunt dates. I have hunted deer in Illinois for years, had an awesome black bear hunt in Wisconsin last year and have hunted deer and antelope in Wyoming, but never elk. 45 was my 3rd choice after studying the NM Mrs and am very excited to get after em.
I have been looking over my Pecos Wilderness map and feel kind of overwhelmed on where to start, so far as which TH to start at, how far to hike in to get away from other hunters, what elevation to begin looking, etc.
We plan to hike in on foot several miles and hunt out of a tent.
I notice a lot on the bow hunting side of it but not much on the Oct rifle hunt.
Any info is appreciated!

kesand72
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Check your messages, I sent you a PM. Btw, you know anything about unit 67 for Antelope or unit 38 for Elk in Wyoming?

One last thing, 1 post since Sept 2011?????? You gotta get more involved here.

Good luck, hunt hard but hunt safe

Hi No. 7! Did you hunt Wyoming67 for antelope? I hunted it in `11 and took a great upper 70s buck diy on public ground on opening afternoon. Stayed comfortably in a hotel in River ton and had a great time!

jay
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone! First time post. A friend and I drew Pecos elk tags ( unit 45) Oct 12 to 16 hunt dates. I have hunted deer in Illinois for years, had an awesome black bear hunt in Wisconsin last year and have hunted deer and antelope in Wyoming, but never elk. 45 was my 3rd choice after studying the NM Mrs and am very excited to get after em.
I have been looking over my Pecos Wilderness map and feel kind of overwhelmed on where to start, so far as which TH to start at, how far to hike in to get away from other hunters, what elevation to begin looking, etc.
We plan to hike in on foot several miles and hunt out of a tent.
I notice a lot on the bow hunting side of it but not much on the Oct rifle hunt.
Any info is appreciated!

Congrats on the tag kesand! I've found that hunt to be a little tough in these parts. Alot of hunters in the woods by the time first rifle comes around. Guys are archery hunting well thru September, then you got a muzzleloader hunt after that, then your tag. There's no doubt there are still plenty of bulls around just a little more spooked like anywhere else I suppose. PM me if you would like further info on TH's, areas, etc...

WillPower
06-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Archery elk here.

kesand72
10-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Well my buddy Rich n I finished our Pecos unit 45 elk hunt last week n had a rough go of it. We hiked up to the skyline trail out of Sparks TH, which didn't look to have been maintained in the last decade. Passed a couple of mule deer hunters from Missouri coming down with their buck, who hadn't seen or heard an elk in a week of hunting. Got up to skyline without seeing the slightest sign of elk, just crispy dry ground all torn up by cattle n cowboys.
Came back down the next day n poked around the lower elevations n found zero sign of elk so we headed to Alamitos TH where we immediately got into great sign on opening day the 12th. Did everything we could to get into elk, got off the trails, played the wind n hiked hiked hiked. On the 3rd evening we finally heard a bugle, n on the fourth morning we jumped a few in the brush that Rich got a glimpse of. Ran into a couple of fellow Eastman's subscribers from Texas ( Greg n Carlton i believe ) that were having similar luck (none!).
It was an adventure, I lost another 8 lbs ( plus 9 from training!), and I caught an awesome trout that we don't have in Illinois, but never saw an elk.
I would go again, but definitely not for first rifle in that unit. I have 8 points for Wyoming next year, hopefully I can lay eyes on 1 of those rascals!!
Greg n Carlton, if u c this let me know how u did!!
Kenny

zitro24
11-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone,
Just joined today after Google brought me to Eastmans. My 12 yo son has a youth deer hunt in unit 45 day after thanksgiving. We'll be trying Elk Mtn. Curious if the deer will be hanging out in the Tres Lagunas burn scar. Anyone else been around that area since the fire?

jay
12-12-2013, 12:11 AM
zitro24, how did your boy do on the youth hunt??? Hope he did well!

jay
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
zim, I tried pm'ing you and it didn't go thru cause your box is full...

Don K
02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Jay,

Zim has been in China and will be back tomorrow afternoon. I will let him know your looking for him

Zim
02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
zim, I tried pm'ing you and it didn't go thru cause your box is full...

Hi Jay, I just tried to send you a PM but it looks like your mailbox is also full. I cleared out some space in mine now.

We got a drop camp deal worked out so I hope to be returning to the Pecos again this year. Will be applying soon. Missed it last 2 years.

jay
02-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi Jay, I just tried to send you a PM but it looks like your mailbox is also full. I cleared out some space in mine now.

We got a drop camp deal worked out so I hope to be returning to the Pecos again this year. Will be applying soon. Missed it last 2 years.

I deleted a couple...

Zim
03-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Now that deadline passed I'm curious if there were any other nonresidents here that applied for Pecos archery elk tags. Really hoping we draw. We have a drop camp lined up.

sticksnskullsia
03-24-2014, 08:24 AM
I put in for the Pecos archery.

Zim
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Which pool? Did you apply last year? The applicant numbers dropped last year for some reason. Can't figure out why, but I hope not many others noticed.

Don K
03-25-2014, 02:55 AM
but I hope not many others noticed.

If they didn't, they did now

Zim
03-25-2014, 07:05 AM
But it's too late for them to do anything about it now. :p

sticksnskullsia
03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
I did not apply last year.

swmoelk
05-27-2014, 02:38 PM
How often are you guys running into other hunters in 45 archery? I don't hunt NM but have considered starting to apply for it. That's after I get somemore experience. I'd rather screw up in Colorado where I can hunt the same place year after year instead of messing up on a low odd tag.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

swampokie
05-27-2014, 08:57 PM
45 is just about like a southern Colorado otc unit. You might work your tail off and find a bull but chances are the 17% success rate will get ya! Pecos is rough rough rough! O its a good sheep area though
How often are you guys running into other hunters in 45 archery? I don't hunt NM but have considered starting to apply for it. That's after I get somemore experience. I'd rather screw up in Colorado where I can hunt the same place year after year instead of messing up on a low odd tag.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk