PDA

View Full Version : California Bighorns

nvarcher
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Well we went scouting yesterday for my dads archery antelope tag, and we went to check on the waterhole I killed mine on last year. I looked out in the short brush about 100 yards and there were four bighorns!! They ran up a hill about to 400 yards and I got out the spotter, one of these rams was a good 165+!! This just goes to show how dry it is up there. We would never see sheep there. I have never even seen a mature ram in that unit. There was no water within about 3 miles and it was an antelope hotspot. Needless to say the hole was already staked and claimed!

Six-Gun
06-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I would love to see California Big Horns in the flesh. Never have, and unless I'm in the right place well away from my home, I may never. Sonds like you found a great area, and it's definitely no shocker that the spot was claimed.

nvarcher
06-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Ya it was really cool! It would of also been a long ways for you to go also, this was north of gerlach.

Ikeepitcold
06-28-2012, 05:09 AM
We're you guy able to find a new hole?

nvarcher
06-28-2012, 01:21 PM
No not yet were going looking again Saturday.

nvarcher
07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
We're you guy able to find a new hole?
Ya we finally found a pretty good one, that didn't already have a bottle on it being claimed!

hubba20
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
ha the old "claimed" waterhole... ive always thought that was interesting since it isnt a private area... if it is public land it is free game for anyone who gets there, imo

Drhorsepower
08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
ha the old "claimed" waterhole... ive always thought that was interesting since it isnt a private area... if it is public land it is free game for anyone who gets there, imo

There's a little etiquette involved there too.

NVBird'n'Big
08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
There's a little etiquette involved there too.

Agreed! Without this respect can you imagine the may-lay on opening day when 5 hunters show up to the same hole? Would ruin the season spending huntable days trying to find an open spot. Overall, I think most archery hunters in NV are very good about this. I did have a buddy get his blind torn down a few years back, he went out the day before the opener, his was gone and a new one was set up. Turned out to be out of state hunters (Californians), I have never seen anyone so upset, ruined his whole season.

hubba20
08-07-2012, 03:17 PM
ya i dont have a problem with saying that "i would like to hunt this blind so and so days...." or something like that... but i have seen a lot of people who have "claimed" a waterhole and have said, "i will be hunting here for 2 weeks staight for this hunt, please leave this waterhole alone" or something like that, and that just pisses me off. If you are gonna "claim" a waterhole, at least write a note and say call this number and we can talk or something like that. If I ever see some who claims a waterhole like that, i usually write a note back and tell them what i think about that idea ha :)

nvarcher
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
If someone claims a waterhole you should not mess with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk