PDA

View Full Version : What camo pattern do you use?

crumy
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I have tried several, mossy oak brush, seclusion, thought about some of the preadtor brands. What have you guys had success with?

Drhorsepower
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Around my neck of the woods, I have good luck with seclusion open country, realtree max1. I am going kuiu vias this year, my first package should be waiting for me when I get off of work in the am and I can't wait to see it!

beav906
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
The mossy oak treestand seems to work well around here. Hunt alot of timber/ conifers as well as old burns so the green and grey works for me

Grantbvfd
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
KUIU VIAS this year

RUTTIN
07-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Core4Element in Mountain Mimicry

Colorado Cowboy
07-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I'll probably stir up the troops a little, but I don't really think all these camo patterns really make a lot of sense ....at least to me. For years I hunted wearing jeans, a brown jacket over a wool plaid shirt, whatever color I had available. Didn't make a lot of difference, I killed a lot of animals. Most camo patterns help you blend in more, but I think movement is what the animals see, not the color your wearing. Everything now makes a lot of sense from a MARKETING point of view. They all show you how invisible you can be on their commercials, but when someone moves you can see them right? If you were wearing something "old school" like I described instead of the state of the art camo and didn't move, the animal would look at you and then go back to whatever they were doing. I don't shoot archery, so I don't need to get up close and personal with an animal. Bow hunting is where this can be justified.

I do wear cammo, but pattern is not really my first concern. Fit, material and durability come first. I hunt lots of waterfowl and do pick certain camo patterns to match where I am hunting. But here again MOVEMENT is the big factor. I wear lots of my waterfowl camo when I am big game hunting and the animals don't seem to mind at all!:D

These guys do a great job of marketing their products to us hunters, they make is feel like we just have to have what they are selling.

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 08:01 AM
For most of my hunting career i've worn red and black plaid with no problems. As was said. Movement is what gets you busted. Camo was invented to fool humans by the military. Game see's everything in pale yellows.

It's one of the greatest sales gimmicks ever invented for hunters.

Elkoholic307
07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I never used to wear camo until I bought King's Desert Shadow for coyote hunting.

Now that I have some, I wear it for everything. Just seems like the thing to do I guess.

BKC
07-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I tops and bottoms I have core4 gear in realtree a/p, under armour in mossy oak breakup, columbia in timberwolf, and cabelas outfitter camo ( this is my cold weather gear ). I have some tops in seclusion open country that I wear with carhart work pants when I am crawling thru the eastern plains crp and crops. I buy for fit and function and try to buy in a diffrent camo pattern each time. If I bought the same pattern than my wife would look at me and just roll her eyes even more than she already does!

tdub24
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I use mostly Open Country and it has worked good enough to get me within 10 yards of a good buck and inches from stepping on a doe. For rifle hunting, it is definitely not a necessity, but I still feel it helps on more mature animals. Couldn't hurt!

Fink
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
One of favorite patterns for cold weather is the faded brown of my Carhartt bibs.

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Couldn't hurt!

Plus, looking like Rambo is fun. :)

tdub24
07-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Plus, looking like Rambo is fun. :)

I even go as far as dive rolling around bushes!!!:D

Umpqua Hunter
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
The pattern I use is called "Eclectic", or in other words a combination of camo patterns and solid colors. I have a number of proven pieces of gear I go to that I have picked up over the years. Seems to get the job done.

Murdy
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm a fan of "eclectic" myself -- and by that I mean whatever was on sale when I happened to be looking to buy something. lol

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I guess i'll have to admit to owning some camo. More for the material than the camo pattern. It's the most comfortable jacket I own. Two layers of fleece with a gore-tex like membrane in the middle. Water proof, wind proof, super quiet, and keeps me comfortable from below zero to 60 degrees with proper layering. It only comes in camo, so I had no choice. If it was red and black plaid i'd love it even more.

So, I go everywhere wearing Real Tree AP looking like a dufus, but i'm sure comfortable. :)

BKC
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I was thinking of marketing a new camoflauge for us folks in the the west. It would be called " burnt forest A/P ". I also like the name " beetle kill ".

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
How about Too Hot AP?

twp1224
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Last year I wore Real Tree AP. This year i went with Max1. I will let you know if it makes a difference :)

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Last year I wore Real Tree AP. This year i went with Max1. I will let you know if it makes a difference :)

It won't. Stay quiet and still, and anything works.

Timberstalker
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I guess i'll have to admit to owning some camo. More for the material than the camo pattern.

The main reason I have camo is for the fabric, I take mine off when in public most of the time, I dont like looking like a hunter in public. I honestly believe if you move slowly and keep the wind right it doesnt matter as long as you have something the breaks up your outline. This is from experiance, I've been just as close to game not wearing camo as I have with. When I say close I mean within 20 yrds.

Old Hunter
07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Yep! I've been saying that since camo became popular.

Funny, but I got comments when i'd wear my old 1950's Woolrich coat around town. I'd get guys say things like...Hey! I used to have a coat like that. Now, I wear the camo jacket, and I just look like one of the boys. Nobody says a thing. Go figure.

packer58
07-03-2012, 08:53 PM
For me, Prarie Ghost and Max 1 usually when hunting in sage and junies. I also use Mossy Oak break-up when hunting the timber. I agree with some of the other posts that motion is what usually gets you busted but i think you have a whole lot more wiggle room fully camoed out.

Muleys 24/7
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a few patterns but mainly wear Kings desert and mountain shadow depending on wear I hunt. Weather it makes a diffrence or not, I like blending into my surrondings. Wearing regular close makes it feel like any other day not in the field.

BobcatJerry
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Mossy oak tree stand for me, It has a nice large contrasting pattern, lots of moss greens and grays. Small patterns and ones with little contrast, from a distance just blend together. The original tree bark pattern (30 years ago) made you look like a blue thing standing in the woods from a distance, it's pattern was so small it appeared as one color from a distance. It was useless. I had a set that was similar to predator pattern just after the treebark set and couldn't believe how much better it was. Those big contracting patterns, break up the human appearance. I think if it looks really cool, then it's not the best pattern. Too much is designed to sell to because it looks neat or realistic. It's not the 3d or life like looking leaves, but the deep contrast getting your shape, outline, and pattern broken up. Might be different in a desert setting, but the mossy oak tree stand works great in sage flats, pine spruce forest, and while in a tree stand back east.

Old Hunter
07-04-2012, 08:39 AM
If I buy more camo I like this pattern the best. Oops! Wrong pattern came up. Choose the Outfitter Camo pattern.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Lightweight-Camo-Clothing/Mens-Lightweight-Camo-Shirts%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104431680/i/104046480/Cabelas-Microtex8482-Lite8482-7-Button-Shirt-150-Regular/724959.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcloth ing-mens-hunting-clothing-mens-hunting-lightweight-camo-clothing-mens-lightweight-camo-shirts%2F_%2FN-1100951%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104046480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 91680%253Bcat104748480%253Bcat104431680%26pcrid%3D 8494959076&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104748480%3Bcat104 431680%3Bcat104046480

dp1077
07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
KUIU in Vias and Sitka in optifade and MM 2.0.

BOHNTR
07-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I prefer Predator over all others.......wish it was offered in Kuiu gear.

Montana
07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I prefer Predator over all others.......wish it was offered in Kuiu gear.

I agree with you... In my opinion its the best pattern available but some of the worst material around as well. I actually wrote Tom Nelson one time and we had quite a conversation on it, obviously it didn't carry any weight as they haven't changed the quality any.

Wild Country
07-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I buy all my hunting gear when it's on sale and I even choose solid colors if I can save some money. Backcountry gear is not cheap and a lot of the better gear isn't even made by the big clothing makers and the stuff that is....wow....300 to 400 bones for a rain coat....really? B.B. mentioned an event jacket from rei so I checked it out and caught it on sale for 130 and love it and it's solid black cuz. No one is going to convince me that I would be better off in a $350 rain jacket with a camo pattern in the rain than my black event jacket!

ivorytip
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
cammo just looks cool, ive heard that blus is really the only color that stands out to wild game, that true? also ive watched several guys all oranged out stalk and kill game, if orange doesnt give them away i dont know what will

velvetfvr
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Optifade open country/ Sitka clothing. Let's see if the camo designed to conceal you from animals will work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hunter
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
cammo just looks cool, ive heard that blus is really the only color that stands out to wild game, that true? also ive watched several guys all oranged out stalk and kill game, if orange doesnt give them away i dont know what will

Orange is not a problem. It's seen as a pale yellow like everything else they see. Except blue. They see that as blue.

ivorytip
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
k thats what i heard but nice to hear it confirmed. thanks

goatpoop
07-06-2012, 04:40 PM
ASAT is my favorite. I was sold on this pattern after a squirrel tried to climb my leg. The squirrel was running away from an angry bull elk destroying stumps and trees. Needless to say the bull caught my scent and ran off. However, I think about all the record book elk and deer that were killed by plaid shirts and blue jeans, you really don't need camo. As long as you clothes are somewhat scentless and you do not use color enhancing detergent you should be fine. Movement, your silhouette, bare skin, and scent will scare the animals away. I guess one of the main reason I wear camo is because of the material that my pants and jacket are made out of. Camo pattern still helps out in my opinion.

freddogs
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I like to use Natural gear. I seem to always find it on sale. It seems to work fine for me. I don't think camo is that important for deer but I use it turkey hunting too.

HuskyMusky
07-07-2012, 10:01 AM
does anyone have just 1 color/pattern?

I feel like it's an evolution... which has currently brought me to predator/break up style camo patterns, which make more sense to me than other styles.

I don't believe deer/elk have the detailed sight to pick out a brown leaf pattern on a darker brown background etc... where as like the tiger stripes.... it breaks them up... and makes more sense to me currently.

turkey's would be a different thing... as all birds tend to have great color eyesight.

Old Hunter
07-07-2012, 10:41 AM
On the left is what we see. In the middle is what deer see when you have UV brighteners in your clothes. On the right is what deer see without brighteners.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/uploads/xhuman-deer-vision-pic-3.jpg

ivorytip
07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
im going to start hunting naked or in a loin cloth

Old Hunter
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM

That worked for many years. :)

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Good thing I don't live in your neck of the woods :eek:

That worked for many years. :)

Sooo, you've tried it?:D

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
On the left is what we see. In the middle is what deer see when you have UV brighteners in your clothes. On the right is what deer see without brighteners.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/uploads/xhuman-deer-vision-pic-3.jpg

Won't you admit...in the far right pic the legs look more broken up than the vest?

Old Hunter
07-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Of course, but that's what Colorado makes us wear. A camo blaze orange would be better, and the other hunters would still see you.

That's if it's proven that we do need to break up out pattern. If not, we might as well throw out the camo.

My personal gut feeling is we need to break up out pattern, but the actual pattern isn't important. That's why red and black plaid has always worked. If you want to hide from your buddy. Get camo.

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
So camo blaze orange dosn't meet the square in. requirments, it has to be plain orange and thats it? Just wondering because I'm biulding points in Co. and will probaly hunting there next fall.

BKC
07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
So camo blaze orange dosn't meet the square in. requirments, it has to be plain orange and thats it? Just wondering because I'm biulding points in Co. and will probaly hunting there next fall. Camo orange isn't allowed at all even if it did meet 500 sq. inches.

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Camo orange isn't allowed at all even if it did meet 500 sq. inches.
Thanks for clearing that up, here in Ca, orange is optional during archery and rifle seasons. While hunting at home I might throw on a orange hat on opening day just so some idiot dosen't get trigger happy when they see a bush across the canyon move:)

Old Hunter
07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Here's something I never understood. Bow hunters don't need to wear BO. If BO isn't suppose to be seen by game, and that is what the DOW will tell you. Why can't bow hunters wear it? There's lots of guns used by hunters at the same time. Muzzleloader for one, and bear hunters for the whole month of Sept with a rifle for another. There's also some special deer tags with rifles during bow season.

They use the excuse that bow hunters need to get closer. What difference would that make if the game can't see the BO vest? They sneak around and don't seem to be a danger from other hunters. Some of my shots are within bow range. Does that mean I don't need BO?

Makes no sense to me.

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Just curious, dose everyone wash a new pack or clothes to get rid of brightners. I can see washing the clothes but the pack?

Old Hunter
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Just curious, dose everyone wash a new pack or clothes to get rid of brightners. I can see washing the clothes but the pack?

Here's the problem. You can't wash out the brighteners. Special washes with no brighteners won't put more brighteners in the material, but it can't take it out. It takes a spray that's made to remove the brighteners. It will stay UV free as long as you don't ever wash with brighteners again.

ivorytip
07-08-2012, 06:15 AM
has anyone tested this brightner thing themselves? ive seen that pic before and allways assumed it was just another scheeme to get us to by buy buy. i guess its worth testing, just not during the season:rolleyes: i hope that loin cloth doesnt show up as blue....... some of the cammo out there is so rediculously priced, i do love the wool variety though when the temps drop. anyone try that sitka stuff? looks cool and has that gortex stuff we all love but the price tag is insane. ive been using bdus and cheap stuff from an armysurplus store that works well for me. eastmans should give us all a free variety of cammo to test this season, yeah that would be cool.

Old Hunter
07-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Brighteners can easily be checked with a black light. The worse offenders are anything blaze orange and camo.

If you'd like more scientific info about his. Read this. It's long.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6663530/Deer_Vision#Post6663530

SDbowhunter
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I was thinking of marketing a new camoflauge for us folks in the the west. It would be called " burnt forest A/P ". I also like the name " beetle kill ".

This is so true !

ivorytip
07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
ha, id buy it! as far as the testing goes, how do they know thats what the game sees? im not saying they dont i jut really dont know. guess i better read....

xtreme
07-08-2012, 05:20 PM
My brother started a sniper school for the military so I got a training manual FM23-10. Now all I wear is a ghillie suit for an outer garment. I watch the hunting programs on tv and those hunters have a lot of facial hair, I even saw one get a tattoo on his hunting program. When I saw a picture of David Long I was shocked. How can he be so cleancut and still manage to get those trophy mulies? Just poking a little fun at those grubby TV hunters.
I did learn a lot and one thing, that is how far back in the shadows a sniper will be, I think that works on game too. Snipers also pour oil around their hide to keep the dogs from smelling them. No, I havent tried that, yet. Mostly I use the wind instead of sent free soap.
One more question, why do those guys on TV poke the dead animal while holding their gun in one hand? We did have a dead bear get up last year and when that happens you need both hands on the gun.

BKC
07-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Well this thread just offically got out of hand!

ivorytip
07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
i hear they make cammo body paint, just sayin, hahaha, kings camo looks the coolest

hardstalk
07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I always wonder about camo in the fact that photographers and hikers usually wear blue mountain hardware fleece with a red back pack and yellow hiking shoes. Yet they capture amazing images much closer to live animals then we do. Could it be that they dont get all giddy when they see an animal because there only there to admire and not hunt? And the animals sense that. Or could it be that camo companies have absolutely extorted the hunting world with this belief that if humans cant see it then animals cant see it. If i were an animal and roamed a 2-3 mile square area my entire life i would know every knot on every tree. And every leaf that seems to be out of place. Especially due to the fact that animals live in fear 100% of their life. I kinda feel camo in general is more of a human confidence booster than an invisible cloak to animals. Kinda like kobe beef. People know kobe does not exist in america yet they will spend 15 bucks on a kobe burger to say that they have tried it.

BKC
07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I always wonder about camo in the fact that photographers and hikers usually wear blue mountain hardware fleece with a red back pack and yellow hiking shoes. Yet they capture amazing images much closer to live animals then we do. Could it be that they dont get all giddy when they see an animal because there only there to admire and not hunt? And the animals sense that.
Or could it be that a lot of animals are photgraped in a national park and they have these great big lenses on their camera that weigh as much as your rifle or bow?

hardstalk
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Could be. But im talkin more about amatuer photos. The ones that are sprayed along google earth.

BobcatJerry
07-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Camo works, I have no doubt, But it is exploited by the industry by all of us looking for the perfect suit. What industry doesn't exploit you if they can find a way to get your dollar. Cell phones, cable and satellite TV, fashion industry, even seed for food plots with their super duper seeds.

You can get a good photo of wildlife without camo it's easy. You take thousands of pictures and maybe a dozen are good ones that you show to people. I have some great ones of a grizzly bear at 15 feet, took them from my car. You usually only get one shot to make the kill, maybe two, then if you miss or the right shot never materializes, you only have a memory.

Bob
07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
If washing your clothing, pack, with UV inhibitor liquids doesn't work, then what sprays do? what is the best product to use and what testing has been done to conclusively prove which products actually work as advertised? ..... interesting topic

Old Hunter
07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iibCeNpwg5c

xtreme
07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
I used the ,"I be still" on a Boone and Crockett Antelope. The big buck came straight to me as I had on a red short sleeve shirt and jeans. He stopped for a long time at 40yds and then proceeded to pass by but caught the wind. All the time elk were grazing about two hundred yards away. i would like to market the "I be still" and make it look like a tree snag.

Old Hunter
07-29-2012, 05:29 PM
That doesn't work. I use the "I be very still."

dihardhunter
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
'Colorado Cowboy' says it straight from the get-go. I'm much more concerned with the performance of the fabric than critters seeing through my camouflage pattern. Often, the best piece of gear (or equal quality but far cheaper) is made by the backpacking industry. As long as the colors aren't too loud, I don't hesitate to use that sort of gear if it best suits my needs. Folks hunted in plaids and jeans for centuries...

Old Hunter
07-29-2012, 09:31 PM
' Folks hunted in plaids and jeans for centuries...

Still do.

Even though I showed a lot of these new products. I never use them.

xtreme
07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I knew that

Old Hunter
07-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Hard to change old ways. As an example. I see all kinds of ways to check wind direction. Little bottles that puff, little wind meters etc.

My dad told me to tie a thin piece of thread on the end of the barrel in 1950. I've done it ever since. I carry my gun in both hands when hunting. The end of the barrel is always out in front of me. That piece of thread shows me the wind direction 100% of the time, and it takes no movement from me. What could be easier and more fool proof?

Before you ask. I always have an extra piece of thread in my wallet. :)