PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming is burning up!!

birdhunter
07-04-2012, 11:47 PM
The last 2 weeks have been horrible for Wyoming. Five major fires have started and moved very fast covering large amounts of area. The Fontenelle fire is about 56,000 acres. The Arapahoe fire is almost 90,000 acres. Oil creek in my neck of the woods hit 58,500 last night. Squirell is around 20.000 I believe, and another started in the bridger-teton and is growing rapidly. We cant get enough fire fighters in the area since it seems the entire west is burning up. Just want to thank all the firefighters out there saving our homes and mountains!! Without you we wouldnt have anything left!!

buckbull
07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, and to think we still have much of the summer to get thru. I just read that monsoon season may start early but also read conflicting reports that conditions are not looking too good.

kcaves
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, we are getting rain by the arapahoe fire now so hopefully it rains enough to have an impact, it's threatening one of the oldest ranches in the area and a big chunk I national forest and walk in areas

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5bmdtm

Wyohunter
07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Looks like all the major fires in Wyoming got a good amount of rain so hopefully they will all be contained soon, also the 250000 acre ash creek fire just north of Wyoming in Montana got a good amount of rain.

ffd061
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Good to hear. Let the green-up begin!

jenbickel
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
We are burning up and it is so sad! The ash creek fire in Montana is by my parents ranch and is just outrageous! The oil creek fire is by my other house. I feel like everything is burning around me! Hopefully all the storms tonight just produce a lot of rain and help put the fires out! There's is supposed to be a lot of lightning also which could be very bad. I have a feeling it's going to be a very long miserable rest of the summer!

BobT
07-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Hopefully mother nature will intervene with some serious rain and put them out. We have had some small fires around here but nothing too big yet.

Colorado Cowboy
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Just remember there is a beneficial side to all of the fires. If we wearn't here they would burn until they were done...on their own. The land (forest, sage, etc) would regenerate on its own and be more healthy for it. The big fire near Colorado Springs was a disaster, but that area had not burned in a 100 years. Too much undergrowth and fuel for the fire made it much worse that it should (or would) have been. Some of the best hunting I have had is in burned areas that were regenerating...lots of food for all the animals...especially big game animals!

barmar65
07-08-2012, 05:27 AM
how long does it take animals to return after a burn?

Colorado Cowboy
07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Not sure, but I think a lot depends on time of year of the burn and moisture afterwards. I 've hunted burns a couple of years later and there were still plenty of animals. They like the new growth and seem to concentrate in the remaining cover.

brooks
07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Just ain't right without that beautiful blue sky and cotton candy clouds. Need a little help from above !!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/buckhunt/WYJULY520122012-07-05002.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/buckhunt/WYJULY520122012-07-05003.jpg

justinthedoc
07-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Some of you wont appreciate this but, burns are a good thing as long as no one gets hurt. If there is a good winter, and spring think of all the new vegetation man. gonna be great those trees need to burn its a cycle. Look at the predicament tht casper mnt is in all that thick timber on the north side shouldnt be like that. Thats why there is no animals (not many) on that side theres just not much habitat. You look at picture from the early 1900s the mntn hardly has any trees on it, and when she does go up holy crap is it goona go. Just my .02

jenbickel
07-09-2012, 11:42 AM
It is true that the vegetation comes back better than ever but that's what prescribed burns are best for, not the outrageously huge wildfires we have been having. Yes, in my experiences animals do like burn areas to eat and such after it starts growing back but it's usually smaller burn areas where they still have thicker timber around then where they still have a sense of safety. These huge fires where they are taking out whole mountain peaks and such is horrible. You're more than likely not going to find a herd of elk hanging out there come this fall! It's hard to see the up side of these fires when I have experienced first hand how damaging and deadly they are.

BossBrott
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Be thankful you dont live in communist Kalifornia, where fire supression has killed the forest. We have very few decent summer, winter ranges that can actually hold animals. Most of our forest is so choked with old underbrush and thick canopies, that when a fire does eventually start, it can/and will grow to epic proportions. Those fires, with all of the fuel, kill everything from the humans that fight them, to the dirt that they grow in. As long as no homes are burned and nobody gets hurt, it will be a boon to hunt in future years. Ive watched our deer populations buckle in the last 50 years, because of fire supression.

bigshot
07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I have seen deer move back in right after a fire while the trees were still smoldering! After our California fires, the area looked like a "Moonscape." But the deer were everywhere, wish Forestry would do a control burn in our mtns, the brush is getting thick and tall.

BossBrott
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Have a fire going in the canyon about 3 miles away right now. The fire just went straight to crowning with all the dead uynderbrush. At 100 acres, we must have 2000 crews on hand!

justinthedoc
07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
The Forest circus should get most of the blame for these big fires for not allowying more logging. This is what you get with rampant bettle kill and no thinning of the trees. Somethings gotta give, also you cant expect to live in area like the laramie peak and the Colorado springs fire and not expect something like that to happen. Its why you thin your trees, just like people in florida area should expect hurricanes, and california expect earthquakes. The animals will come back, and by the sounds of it they may not get that bad boy out before the snow falls so it is what it is. To be honest the fire thing is a little over hyped to me, its summer, its dry, lets move on.

BossBrott
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
The Forest circus should get most of the blame for these big fires for not allowying more logging. This is what you get with rampant bettle kill and no thinning of the trees. Somethings gotta give, also you cant expect to live in area like the laramie peak and the Colorado springs fire and not expect something like that to happen. Its why you thin your trees, just like people in florida area should expect hurricanes, and california expect earthquakes. The animals will come back, and by the sounds of it they may not get that bad boy out before the snow falls so it is what it is. To be honest the fire thing is a little over hyped to me, its summer, its dry, lets move on.

Im 100% for the logging part. We can create 250,000 jobs quick if we can open up the WHOLE forest to logging.

Wyohunter
07-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Personally I would rather see a huge forest fire over housing developments along the mountain side. The human invasion into forests is more hurtful for the herds than a forest fire is. Sorry for the people who happen to live in these areas but forest fires come with the territory.

justinthedoc
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Personally I would rather see a huge forest fire over housing developments along the mountain side. The human invasion into forests is more hurtful for the herds than a forest fire is. Sorry for the people who happen to live in these areas but forest fires come with the territory.

Ditto:) I wish we could adopt a policy that if you werent born in wyoming you should leave and never come back. (maybe a little extreme) Bwahahaha

Colorado Cowboy
07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Ditto:) I wish we could adopt a policy that if you werent born in wyoming you should leave and never come back. (maybe a little extreme) Bwahahaha

Just a bit! If everyone who was not born there had to leave, I'll bet at least 25% (or more) of the residents whould have to leave. Who would pay the taxes? Surely the remaining residents would not be happy to see that!

birdhunter
07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh I think Wyoming residents would be just fine if people left. It is one of the top (if not the top) money making state in the US. Twenty years ago we had about 30% less people and were doing fine. Our coal, oil, and gas keep us afloat. No state taxes here either. Best damn state to live in (imo).

Muleys 24/7
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Haha, If we had that policy in CA I bet more than half the state would be leaving! For some reason everyone wants to come to califorina (it must be for the hot chicks and weather) not the high taxes, hunting and gun rights!

PLP
07-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I was a wildland firefighter for the last 5 1/2 years.Until 2 months ago when I moved out west.We did control burns on a military base,and fire suppression.Fire is GREAT for wildlife..when it is controlled..If you burn during nesting times it is not that good IMO,but other than that it is great.The turkeys would run INTO the smoke as soon as the flames went down..to have their way with the exposed bugs(some already cooked for them..lol)..The animals have ways to survive fires.Sometimes they will simply huddle up in a pond.They will use the areas as soon as the fire is gone..and it will increase after 2 weeks or so goes by.When the new growth starts.Indians used to use fire to control the land,and old time farmers would burn off things to provide good groceries for the cows..etc.

Alot of people dont understand the importance of fire..Just like stated above in cali..when undergrowth isnt controlled you let the forest choke out sunlight and that cuts back on the groceries..its great for bedding,but not great for food..And when a fire DOES hit..it is disaster,and can ruin the forest.Alot of people dont know the buffalo moved to areas after fire..Fire has a purpose,and humans have impacted the way nature works in several different ways..Fire suppression on land being one..Im not saying let nature burn and destroy houses..I am saying a prescribed fire plan is in order..

I do hate that all of the wildfires are breaking out,and I hope that people houses are saved,and animals are kept safe as well.Most wild animals will be just fine tho,and they will be benefitting soon!

I have not been to the Mountains of colorado,but I am sure the elk will be back..they are probably back now enjoying new growth.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh I think Wyoming residents would be just fine if people left. It is one of the top (if not the top) money making state in the US. Twenty years ago we had about 30% less people and were doing fine. Our coal, oil, and gas keep us afloat. No state taxes here either. Best damn state to live in (imo).

Muleys 24/7
A lot of people are getting out of this f'ed up state because of high taxes,restriction,etc. on everything. Now we have the idiot moonchild Jerry Brown back for Gov.. What's that tell you about the majority of people who live here ? I'm not far behind. If housing ever comes back up, I'm outa here. I'll park a trailer on my 40 acres in Wy. until I get a cabin built and feel sorry for everybody back in Ca. Not.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Be thankful you dont live in communist Kalifornia, where fire supression has killed the forest. We have very few decent summer, winter ranges that can actually hold animals. Most of our forest is so choked with old underbrush and thick canopies, that when a fire does eventually start, it can/and will grow to epic proportions. Those fires, with all of the fuel, kill everything from the humans that fight them, to the dirt that they grow in. As long as no homes are burned and nobody gets hurt, it will be a boon to hunt in future years. Ive watched our deer populations buckle in the last 50 years, because of fire supression.
Roger that BossBrott !

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Seriously...
Half the state would be gone.

WYrider
07-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Hmm, willing to bet that if everyone not born in WY has to leave there will only be a few Indians left. Your parents, grandparents, etc, came here at some point so you are not native either. Just saying....

kcaves
07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
If u were born in Wyoming then you are a native of Wyoming.

Elkoholic307
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
<----- Native!

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 02:03 AM
<----- Native!

LOL ! I have a bumper sticker that says Wyoming Native that looks like a license plate. In real small writing above it it says
"Almost a" Had it on there for about 4 yrs. Had the buckin bronco sticker on my back window's for 30 yrs. . I may have not been born there but I have spent a lot of time there in the last 30 yrs.and Wy. has a big part of my heart, so much that I bought 40 acres there in 1996. And I do pay taxes on it. If anybody doesn't like non residents there , I really don't give a sht. Non Resident's millions of $ keeps your Game and Fish Dept. running and your economy depends on them.

Powerman777
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Rider, I have to agree with you on that one. It is the same here in North Dakota where the oil boom is stinking huge there are people here from every state in the US. It is amazing how much this state has changed in the past three years!!!

Wyohunter
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
LOL ! I have a bumper sticker that says Wyoming Native that looks like a license plate. In real small writing above it it says
"Almost a" Had it on there for about 4 yrs. Had the buckin bronco sticker on my back window's for 30 yrs. . I may have not been born there but I have spent a lot of time there in the last 30 yrs.and Wy. has a big part of my heart, so much that I bought 40 acres there in 1996. And I do pay taxes on it. If anybody doesn't like non residents there , I really don't give a sht. Non Resident's millions of $ keeps your Game and Fish Dept. running and your economy depends on them.

Huntwyodon I don't think the majority of the residents mind the nonresidents being here. I personally enjoy seeing them and try to talk to every nonresident hunter I encounter, a lot of the don't get to hunt the big game animals every year like the residents do. I think when we say get rid of the non native people they are talking about the Jackson and pinedale areas where rich people come in and develope every mountain side they see and then try to change the local governments to their liking. When you say that the only way that the wg&f stays afloat I think that is the most ignorant and stupid statement I have ever heard and I think it has left most people questioning what little intelligence you may have. The fact is Wyoming is one of only two states that has a surplus of money they are nowhere close to being in debt like most of the other states. Coal natural gas and oil keep this state rich alone but when you throw in agriculture and tourism that is pretty much icing on the cake. So don't think that the fraction of a percent of revenue generated by the out of state tags really matters because I just about bet that the game and fish in Wyoming can pretty much wipe their ass with what few dollars that is actually generated by out of state tags.

justinthedoc
07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
And I do pay taxes on it. If anybody doesn't like non residents there , I really don't give a sht. Non Resident's millions of $ keeps your Game and Fish Dept. running and your economy depends on them.[/QUOTE]

First off I love NR hunters, just want them to go home when there done. Just my opinion no one elses.
And by the way no economy in WY (sure it helps) depends on hunters. FYI

Actually the energy output of this state keeps the G&F, and the state, and the meth heads going;). If it wasnt for the energy I bet you wouldnt be here either. The money u NR pay goes into the G&F pockets, and to be quit frank I dnt give a sht about the G&F they have already screwd this state on mulies, moose, well now that I think of it the only thing really doing good in this state as far as numbers go is Elk. As far as the real natives; guess you dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Huntwyodon I don't think the majority of the residents mind the nonresidents being here. I personally enjoy seeing them and try to talk to every nonresident hunter I encounter, a lot of the don't get to hunt the big game animals every year like the residents do. I think when we say get rid of the non native people they are talking about the Jackson and pinedale areas where rich people come in and develope every mountain side they see and then try to change the local governments to their liking. When you say that the only way that the wg&f stays afloat I think that is the most ignorant and stupid statement I have ever heard and I think it has left most people questioning what little intelligence you may have. The fact is Wyoming is one of only two states that has a surplus of money they are nowhere close to being in debt like most of the other states. Coal natural gas and oil keep this state rich alone but when you throw in agriculture and tourism that is pretty much icing on the cake. So don't think that the fraction of a percent of revenue generated by the out of state tags really matters because I just about bet that the game and fish in Wyoming can pretty much wipe their ass with what few dollars that is actually generated by out of state tags.

Ignorant ? I doubt it. an intellectual like you ? I guess not. I've known and talked about the very subject with Wy. G&F employee's over the years. They must have been lies. Maybe we'll be lucky see each other in the field ?

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
And I do pay taxes on it. If anybody doesn't like non residents there , I really don't give a sht. Non Resident's millions of $ keeps your Game and Fish Dept. running and your economy depends on them.

First off I love NR hunters, just want them to go home when there done. Just my opinion no one elses.
And by the way no economy in WY (sure it helps) depends on hunters. FYI

Actually the energy output of this state keeps the G&F, and the state, and the meth heads going;). If it wasnt for the energy I bet you wouldnt be here either. The money u NR pay goes into the G&F pockets, and to be quit frank I dnt give a sht about the G&F they have already screwd this state on mulies, moose, well now that I think of it the only thing really doing good in this state as far as numbers go is Elk. As far as the real natives; guess you dont bring a knife to a gun fight.[/QUOTE]

I've never brought a knife to a gun fight yet. That would be very foolish...

jenbickel
07-26-2012, 07:10 PM
This thread makes that song, why can't we be friends come to my mind :)

I moved to wyoming when I was only a couple months old.. I still consider myself a native even though technically I'm not. But I feel like since I have lived here 24 years out of the 24 years I have been alive, that should count right?! ;)

I don't mind out of staters. I helped a guy from Virgina quarter up and pack out an elk while I was elk hunting. I just happened to stumble along him struggling while I was hunting and gave him a hand. It ended up taking up the rest of the day to pack his elk out but he was extremely grateful so I didn't mind. Or when I was lost one year while I was elk hunting, when I finally came upon a road after being lost for 15 hours with no food, water or warm clothes in a rain and snow storm, I helped some guys from Minnesota pack out a deer they had just killed and they gave me a ride back to my truck afterwards. Which is more than I can say for the county 4 dude who I tried to flag down while I was walking down the middle of the road... He actually drove off the road to avoid me.

I personally don't care who sinks more money into the state for tags or whatever else it may be. I think as long as you have respect for the land, animals and people around you then that's all that matters. There's a lot of residents here that act like everyone owes them something. I don't think anyone is better than anyone else just for being a resident. :)

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Jen. I too have gone out of my way to help both non resident and residents alike pack out their kills. I have friends in Wy. I've known for decades that I've hunted with and have helped me pack out elk and deer in Wy. They too moved there fron South Dakota, etc. and weren't born there but are proud to be from Wy.. They don't get self rightous on me because I'm from Ca.. They know where I've lived and spent a lot of time and I don't call myself a Ca. native so I can be better than anyone else in the state who wasn't born here. I could care less. Doesn't make me any less of a man or person. I can hold my own in any state I hunt and don't have to reside there to know what's going on. I first hunted Wy. when I was 24 yrs. old. Have never missed a yr. since. Have lived and worked on friends ranches there over the yrs. and love the state more than any.That's why I bought property there and not in this f'ked up state. I will live there soon and it won't bother me one bit not to be a native, just like half of the other Wy. residents. I always find "natives" that think they are the ultimate because they live there, Big whoop ! I concern myself with the hunting there. BTW, I'm not a rich lib who bought up half of Jacksonhole. I despise them also.

buckbull
07-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Almost 70% of Wyoming Fish and Game's funding comes from non resident tag and license sales. Thats alot of money to spend on toilet paper Wyohunter.

Elkoholic307
07-27-2012, 09:17 AM
70% is equal to what? I'm sure it's still not much compared to the other examples he listed.

buckbull
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
The Game and Fish is funded by the traditional "user pays" philosophy. This means that there is no general fund appropriated from the State for the Game and Fish. The funding comes mainly from the annual sales of licenses to hunters and fishermen. Of those sales, nonresident make up close to 70% of that funding.

justinthedoc
07-27-2012, 10:11 AM
The Game and Fish is funded by the traditional "user pays" philosophy. This means that there is no general fund appropriated from the State for the Game and Fish. The funding comes mainly from the annual sales of licenses to hunters and fishermen. Of those sales, nonresident make up close to 70% of that funding.

I worked several years for the agency before politics to control, and the G&F has been dipping into the general fund for quit some time now. Also to be accurate the NR fisherman make the G&F the most money, not the big game sale.The big game division side is actually a revenue loss by the time you pay everyones salary (not to mention all the other B.S.). A desk jockey regional supervisor makes over 90k a year (with a B.S. degree thats re-donkulous for what they do). Lived here a long time, and miss going over ridges and not seeing some one coming from the other side. Times change, it just sucks. I seriously think a agency that gets absolutly no money from the license sales should be in control of the management of fisheries, and game animals. i seriously think that is the only way we are ever going to see true game management in WY. Mule Deer are done here, the ranchers are starting to take over and regulate hunting for them and its helping, but for the most part its to late in most of the state.

HuntWYODon
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Almost 70% of Wyoming Fish and Game's funding comes from non resident tag and license sales. Thats alot of money to spend on toilet paper Wyohunter.

LMAO ! I've heard the very figures from G&F people. Doesn't really matter to me what there percentage is though.
I enjoy helping them out with the thousand's of dollars I've given them for the last 30 yrs. Not to mention all the $$$ spent while there either.

Wyohunter
07-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I understand that the nonresident tags generate a significant amount of revenue but there is no possible way that out of state money is going to make or break the game and fish or any other entity in this state.

PLP
07-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Which is more than I can say for the county 4 dude who I tried to flag down while I was walking down the middle of the road... He actually drove off the road to avoid me.

he had to think you were setting him up in a trap..lol..