PDA

View Full Version : drew unit 16a

Ranger3-94
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I drew a tag for 16a the 1st thru the 10th of sept for archery. I will be using an outfitter as I am from pa and its a little far to scout let alone draw the tag without an outfitter. I just would like some advice from some of you on what to expect. Is this unit as good as i am being told. how bad did the fire burn the unit ect. thanks in advance

Doe Nob
07-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Which outfitter are you using?

Ranger3-94
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
h&a oufitters

Doe Nob
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/NMGNF/2012-05-18-13:49-whitewater/picts/pict-20120619-090524-0.jpeg

Closures may be an issue. Unit is one of the best in the Gila, more bulls than D. Check with your outfitter as to what part of the unit they typically hunt to see what kind of issues you may be facing.

Ranger3-94
07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
he said we should be good that we wont be hunting near the burn. I just wanted some outside insight on the unit as i have never hunted new mexico. I spent some time northwest of alamogodo (i think) about 20 years ago just wondered how is the terrain compared to that area. How far do you think I should be practicing with my bow. Any advice is welcome this is my third elk hunt (washington & colorado prior) looking forward to being in the woods with those monsters.

nmbugler
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Ill chime in... I think you can hold out for a 320 type bull in that unit. if your outfitter does his homework you should score on water easy. Thats the best hunt to catch them by surprise, unfortunately in this time-frame your not going to get into the freaknasty screaming that the Gila bulls are known for.
Terrain is pretty rugged, bulls are big and hunting is good! my friend drew the rifle tag so let me know if you leave one lol

Ranger3-94
07-19-2012, 06:24 AM
thanks for the reply having never shot an elk 320 sounds great.

Wapiti7
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I would agree with everything nmbugler said, but I would qualify hunting over water as a gimme, depending upon what the monsoons are like leading up to your hunt. I hunted 16A second hunt last year and it seemed like it rained everyday leading up to the archery hunts and hunting over water proved fruitless for most hunters, as there seemed to be water in every canyon. If it's dry leading up to the hunt and your outfitter has some hidey hole tanks (though those are becoming fewer and fewer), you should be in business over water. I have a handful of clients (ranchers and a meatcutter) from around there and everybody seemed to say it was an off year last year. Whitewater baldy fire burned some beautiful elk country in that unit (including where I hunted last year), but it's a big unit and a lot of those burned areas will have great feed and should hold lots of elk. Good luck!

nmbugler
07-31-2012, 07:26 PM
I hunted the second hunt last year as well but it was in GMU 15. Worst elk hunt Id ever been on. We were litterally walking in standing water! Left two days early for my dads hunt up north and they were screaming. I agree it was definitley an off year. Locals down there have said it was worst in very long time. However, I think it will only make this year better. There were low harvest rates last year and rains are here a little earlier which makes for more older age class bulls on the ground and they're growing good antlers. The moon phase will be great for the middle and third hunt. But the full moons gonna hit you guys on the first.

Ranger3-94
08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Last year i hunted Colorado and wore hiking shoes from Columbia they were very comfortable walking about 6-7 miles a day. what type of boots would you guys recommend is there cactus or thorns that i need to worry about.

Doe Nob
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I hunted 16D and got around just fine in a pair of wolverine hunting boots 2 years ago. I went to colorado last year and now am wearing Meindel Perfekt 10's, one scouting trip in the real mountains shredded my feet. That said I think the gila, while it can be rugged, is nothing like the northern rockies, any decent off the shelf hunting boot should work for you, just make sure you break them in before you go and wear thick socks, regardless of the temperature.

junior13
08-08-2012, 04:42 AM
You will be fine with those boots. 16a is a dream to hunt!
As far as water holes/tanks there is not a lot of them. This is good and bad. Good when its dry and bad when there is someone hunting each one of them.

zia
08-31-2012, 11:00 AM
surprised at the number of bugles I heard yesterday in 16, much different than last year. Not sure what that means but it was nice to see/hear.

Wapiti7
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Zia, are you hunting 16a first hunt? Is the gila still looking pretty dry? I'm sure they'll scream all through the 1st hunt and then go on hiatus during the second hunt when I'm down there (I'm in 23). Seeing any bears? Sounds like the rifle/hound hunters are slaughtering em in that zone, 21 killed in unit 23 alone, and that's only 2 weeks!

zia
09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
bulls in 16d screaming, 16a more sporadic, one day a ton of bugling then quiet. I saw two large bulls ( 350-370) already with harems, seems to be an early rut. Didn't see any bears the whole weekend, saw several the same time last year and yes it is dry. Lots of camo-clad folks at the waterholes.

Brady
09-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats on your tag, good luck! What are the odds for a non res to draw this tag with and without a guide?

Brady

Ranger3-94
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
just returned this evening did not score but my dad did and that meant the world to me I try to get a pic up. It seemed the bulls only bugled the first half hour of light if you we didnt get them then we basically went back to camp and tried water in the evenings. they seemed pretty dead also being it seemed to rain every afternoon.