PDA

View Full Version : wyoming region e muley tag

killshot824
07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Drew a reigon E muley tag for this fall we will be there on a rifle hunt and dont know a whole lot about the area yet, i beleive we will be hunting in unit 97. Any info or input about this unit and the enitre region would be greatly appreciated!!

freddogs
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I hunted in 90 a few years ago. I also hunted antelope south of 97. Don't count on Jeffrey city for supplys. Top off your gas tank every day. It's fairly empty country (of people). An ATV would be handy. Hunt early and late. Get good maps. It can be very hot in October. Look for water.
If I hunted the area again I would try to hunt later in the season.

killshot824
07-16-2012, 09:27 PM
thanks freddogs... i know you said it was a few years ago but how was the public access and number of deer to number of hunters??

freddogs
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
There was plenty of public access. I used a map chip in my GPS that tells you land status. It was very handy and worth the $100. There were hunters around, mostly on weekends and at points of public access. Some were hunting antelope, some deer. It was hot and I only saw deer mornings and late afternoon. Where I was, there were a lot of 2 tracks. Many were too rough for my vehicle thats why a ATV could be useful. Call the biologist for information. I met him one day at a wayside and talked to him. Area 90, I hunted isn't open to general licenses so I can't give you an exact spot. There is a road on the southern boundary of 90 along a rim that that would provide access if the weather is dry. I saw a lot of small bucks, does, and fawns.

HuntWYODon
07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Drew a reigon E muley tag for this fall we will be there on a rifle hunt and dont know a whole lot about the area yet, i beleive we will be hunting in unit 97. Any info or input about this unit and the enitre region would be greatly appreciated!!
Hey Killshot
I hunted Reg. E for 5 yrs. from 1993 to 1997. I've been all over that area. There was a ranch I used to hunt which I think is a HM or Walk in area now called the Dumbell Ranch. The couple who owned it were Norm and Gaynell Park. She was an awesome lady. Used to charge 5 bucks to hunt and gave you a map of the property (90,000 acres) , Was in area 68/69 antelope and 89 and 97 deer, That's how I ended up buying 40 acres on the east side of the Rattlesnake Mtns. in 1996. She would let me use their bath tub (was no shower) and barn to take care of deer/lopers. I shot one nice buck by the sweetwater river right in front of Independance Rock. The Granite Hills have deer sometimes. They bed there after feeding in the fields and watering in river. Lots of lopers. You can drive north on Dry Creek road off hwy 220 and glass a lot of country. Area 89 (Rattlesnake Mtns.) to your right/east is a limited entry area. you can drive all the way to Hwy 20/28. Gas Hills right there used to be a good area. I think area 90 is limited entry but 92,94,96 and 97 aren't. Oops, I just looked. Gas Hills is in area 90. Anyway. I liked the area but not tons of deer. Good lucks !

killshot824
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
huntwyodon.... thanks for the great information! im not real familiar with the HM or walk in areas how do you go about figuring out where these are at, and how you get into them?

ChadH
07-22-2012, 08:25 PM
huntwyodon.... thanks for the great information! im not real familiar with the HM or walk in areas how do you go about figuring out where these are at, and how you get into them?
Hey Killshot... You guys should have a great hunt there. Here is a link for info on the HMA's: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterManagementHome.aspx

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chad

killshot824
07-23-2012, 08:43 PM
chadH the areas that we are looking into hunting would be sweet waterrocks, black mountain and green mountain areas, not sure on which one yet but do you or neone else know how the hunting is around these parts? any info is greatly appreciated!

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 12:31 AM
chadH the areas that we are looking into hunting would be sweet waterrocks, black mountain and green mountain areas, not sure on which one yet but do you or neone else know how the hunting is around these parts? any info is greatly appreciated!

I shot a buck on Green mtn. way back in 1995.There used to be a fair amout of deer there. The Sweetwater rocks you mention maybe the Granite Hills I mentioned. They paralell the Sweetwater river. The Dumbell Ranch I mentioned is part of the Walk in Area of Natrona County. The HMA's are under Rattlesnake. That's where my property is near but it's in deer area limited entry area 89 and antelope 74. The Dumbell ranch is on the west side of the Rattlesnake Hills ( 8900' hills...). My property is on east side. The Rattlesnake hills are part of area 89 so it's off limits with a Reg. E tag.There is BLM land mixed in there too. Green Mtn. and Ferris Mtn. are good for deer but you don't really have to get high to find them. More water down low. You can pick up the Walk In and HMA booklets at any Game and Fish Dept. , Walmart, Sporting Goods Store, etc.

ChadH
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM

I hunted Antelope there years ago. There were plenty of Goats and we saw a lot of deer, some pretty nice ones (165-170ish) but not a TON of them. I like the country and I think, if you put a little time in, the Dumbell HMA will produce for you. Sounds like Huntwyodon has it all pretty well right on the money.

killshot824
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Yea I'm not sure which area we will be in for sure yet. We will be huntig with thunder ridge outfitters and it is a drop camp style hunt so as of now I am kind of at their mercy. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
I hunted Antelope there years ago. There were plenty of Goats and we saw a lot of deer, some pretty nice ones (165-170ish) but not a TON of them. I like the country and I think, if you put a little time in, the Dumbell HMA will produce for you. Sounds like Huntwyodon has it all pretty well right on the money.

ChadH.
Lot's of antelope for sure. Back when I hunted the area for 5 yrs., deer weren't very abundant but you could find them, a lot of times along the Sweetwater River. I think most of the deer until Nov. when the season is closed or weather pushes them down stay up in the Rattlesnakes. Unless you have a Limited entry 89 tag it's a harder hunt. Definitly more deer in Green, Black and Ferris Mtns. I shot only one decent buck at the ranch.What year did you hunt Reg. E ?
Killshot824,
Your are hunting with an outfitter with a Reg. G tag ? I bet he will take to to the areas mentioned not down lower near the ranch. not as many deer around, at least not when I was there.

killshot824
07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
chadH.. we are hunting region E with a general tag i actually spoke with them today and was told more than likely we will be on green, black, or ferris mountains with the possibility of sweetwater, all depending on where they are finding deer! so i guess from my perspective hes giving us a good place to start but i am open to hunting newhere in region E that i can hunt with a general tag. i have read quiet a bit about the dumbell ranch and the rattlesnakes you all keep mentioning but with a general tag this area is off limits to me! i have hunted in crook county out of buelah twice now but am totally new to this area of the state so every bit of the help you guys are contributing is GREATLY appreciated!! thanks again!!!

HuntWYODon
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
chadH.. we are hunting region E with a general tag i actually spoke with them today and was told more than likely we will be on green, black, or ferris mountains with the possibility of sweetwater, all depending on where they are finding deer! so i guess from my perspective hes giving us a good place to start but i am open to hunting newhere in region E that i can hunt with a general tag. i have read quiet a bit about the dumbell ranch and the rattlesnakes you all keep mentioning but with a general tag this area is off limits to me! i have hunted in crook county out of buelah twice now but am totally new to this area of the state so every bit of the help you guys are contributing is GREATLY appreciated!! thanks again!!!

The Dumbell Ranch shouldn't be limited entry unless you cross Dry Creek rd. to the east. Then you are in 89 near the Rattlesankes.
You should have no problem getting a decent buck in those mtn. ranges. I promise I wont reply again ! LOL !

killshot824
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
wyodon.. like i said this part of the state is totally new to me so keep on posting i am definately eating up all the info i can get! im glad to here that at least part of the dumbell is open to me! i will definately be looking into it as a back up plan if the area we get sent to isnt panning out! like i said before all info is definately appreciated good or bad! We definately plan on doing ALOT of walking to hope to get some descent deer on their feet!

HuntWYODon
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
wyodon.. like i said this part of the state is totally new to me so keep on posting i am definately eating up all the info i can get! im glad to here that at least part of the dumbell is open to me! i will definately be looking into it as a back up plan if the area we get sent to isnt panning out! like i said before all info is definately appreciated good or bad! We definately plan on doing ALOT of walking to hope to get some descent deer on their feet!
Well in that case !
The Granite Hills (Sweetwater Rocks) are on Dumbell Ranch. The parallel the Sweetwater River there near their ranch and out to the east up to Dry Creek road ( was a dirt road up to 1997) They arent much but the only hills on the ranch. There is a two track road on the north side the parallels the hills the comes close to them then does a little turn and goes down hill into a pocket with a pond. I'd park and peek over instead of driving into it. Also right before the turn there is a little canyon (little) the you can walk up into that I always saw deer and shot a little buck in once. The can jump over to the other side towards the ranch fro there and to the river. If you have or get an area 68 antelope tag, there are usually lot's of loper's in the back there. I used to camp on the north side of the hills. I have wondered if Norman and Gaynell are still alive.. She was a very nice lady. He was kind of a grumpy guy. LOL!
She used to give me advice when I'd see her when I was going through my divorce in 1996 . That's the year I bought my 40 acres on the east side of the Rattlesnake hills from them.

SouthernWyo
08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Be careful with some of the advice you are getting here. Ferris mountain is in limited quota unit 87. You can't legally hunt deer in this unit with a general tag.

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Be careful with some of the advice you are getting here. Ferris mountain is in limited quota unit 87. You can't legally hunt deer in this unit with a general tag.
I don't think I mentioned Ferris as being General Reg E area. maybe but I know it isn't .If so, sorry. I'm pretty sure the Green Mtns. are general hunt. I haven't hunted in that area since 1997. They used the change the area back and forth from general to limited quota all the time back then . Like with 89. 89 has been LQ for a long time now.