PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this track

crumy
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
I put this in field photos too but thought I would put here too...

I believe it canine and not feline. The part is I am hoping it is coyote and not the bigger cousin. Some thing to note, I found a dead elk calf on Saturday. I went back into the area today (Tuesday). The entire calf was gone. No blood, hear or anything. Like it carried off and I found this track in the mud near where the calf was.

This was taken in South Eastern Wyoming near Arlington

BobT
07-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Looks canine to me. How big is it?

tdub24
07-18-2012, 07:04 AM
I think canine as well. If you remember, next time put a pen or something next to the track to give reference to the size.

crumy
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
From the outside edge of far left and far right toes it was just wider than my four fingers. That is 3 1/4 inches. I didn't think about taking a picture with my fingers because I was kicking myself for not putting my game camera up near the calf. But you are totally right, I should have.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
It is canine. Probably a domestic/feral dog.

Drhorsepower
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
You have to remember, it is in the mud so it makes the track bigger too. Especially an old track like that. I'm with the others on identification.

crumy
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I hope it is a dog. But it would have to be feral because or it was lost. This was taken 2 miles from a dead-end FS road in the middle of Medicine Bow Forest.

hvfd21walker
07-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I would also say canine.

CrimsonArrow
07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Certainly canine, but much too large for a coyote, even spread out in the mud. Dog or wolf. More than likely a young wolf that has dispersed from its pack.

HuntWYODon
07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks like a bear front paw print to me not canine and cats don't leave claw marks that I've ever seen ???? :confused:

xtreme
07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
What does a Wolverine track look like?

ivorytip
07-20-2012, 07:17 AM
i think what we have hear is the elusive el chupacobra, ask pedro

ssliger
07-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Looks like a bear front paw print to me not canine and cats don't leave claw marks that I've ever seen ???? :confused:

I agree, looks like a bear track. Also area 11 has a large bear population. I have a friend who wounded an elk and found it the next day and it had been eaten by a couple of bears, they walked up to the elk and the bear was still feeding.

Drhorsepower
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree, looks like a bear track. Also area 11 has a large bear population. I have a friend who wounded an elk and found it the next day and it had been eaten by a couple of bears, they walked up to the elk and the bear was still feeding.

Ummm I count 4 toes which rules out the possibility of a bear. Correct?

Elkoholic307
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Definitely not a bear track. Canine for sure... most likely someone's dog.

Murdy
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
+1 on canine. I also think it's a dog. Someone mentioned cats don't leave claw marks. I think this is usually true since they have retractable claws, but it's possible for a cat to have extended its claws for some reason. So if there's a single track with claw marks, I wouldn't automatically rule out cat. That said, if there are multiple tracks and all have claws, I'd rule out a cat because I don't think they walk with their claws out.

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
4 toe'd bear. pad is wide for a dog. maybe a big bad wolf ?

Ikeepitcold
07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Dog of some kind. Bow wow

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
07-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I would say if it was a 4" by 4" or Bigger I would go with bear also. If it is smaller I would definitly say Canine .... Maybe a Good Spot to put up a Trail Camera too get some Pic.s... If you do and capture what it is on a Pic.. And Then Post it.... That would be Cool....

Deer Hurs
07-30-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree with CrimsonArrow. Canine tracks are somewhat diamond shaped (as this one is) and they leave claw marks (as this one did). Cat tracks are more oblong-shaped and rarely leave claw marks in their tracks because they are retractable and cats don't have them out when moving.

If I was a betting man, it is a young wolf that has dispersed to set up its own territory, just as CrimsonArrow stated.

justinthedoc
07-30-2012, 01:22 PM
As I used to say when I worked with the DOW. Yep thats a large canine, say goodbye to your elk... Luckily for the most cases, if it was a single you got nothing to be worried about a roaming male looking for other packs, if you have multiples large canines all's I can says is if you see one gut punch it..

justinthedoc
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM

And please, please, please tell me your joking.....

08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
The lack of two interdigital lobes on the pad is enough to rule out cat. The presence of a single interdigital lobe rules out bear. The pads of bear tracks are more crescent shaped. Since the interdigital lobe on the pad lacks dimples on the sides, you can be almost certain it isn't a wolf. Plus to be wolf or coyote, the entire shape of the track would be longer where as this track is fairly round. Without any doubt in my mind, gentlemen, we are looking at a domestic canid track.

Drhorsepower
08-01-2012, 11:20 PM
7200, you must have based your screen name off of your iq. Thanks for posting. I didn't understand half of it but I got the point ;)

trkytrack2
08-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Canine.....doubt if it's a wolf. Most likely feral dog. Diffidently not a cat or bear.