PDA

View Full Version : rattle snake hunting with a bow

07-18-2012, 08:02 AM
how many folks have gone rattle snake hunting with a bow? Would i be crazy to go without chaps? i do have some pretty tall leather boots. I figure with a bow Im not getting too close anyway

Drhorsepower
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Who the ef wants to go rattle snake hunting! If I went, I'd go with dynamite you crazy f'er! Haha.

No seriously, those things scare the crap out of me.

Drelk
07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Killed one yesterday with a rake. Quite sporting. http://img.tapatalk.com/48af4c15-c0da-b44d.jpg

Fink
07-18-2012, 09:25 AM
My preferred snake weapon is a 12 gauge. Or, a truck tire.

velvetfvr
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
My preferred snake weapon is a 12 gauge. Or, a truck tire.

Lmao!
My buddy killed one in our deer camp in 2010 with a 19dw lb bow and bad arrow. He was a mere 3 yards away coiled up against a empty gas tank. I would bring chaps just in case. I would practice shooting at 3 or 4 yards with a bow. Now I would have something that is 5 feet long so you can chop his head off. They get really pissed when they have a arrow through them though! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikeepitcold
07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Who the ef wants to go rattle snake hunting! If I went, I'd go with dynamite you crazy f'er! Haha.

No seriously, those things scare the crap out of me.

Hahahahah you chic DR! JK

jay
07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm with you on this one drhp!! I hate those nasty ass things! Now this kinda looooong range hunting I could do, to hell with 3 yards!

Drhorsepower
07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Haha. Wanna see me squirm in my pants, put a snake in front of me.

One of my old mans good friends shot himself in the foot trying to shoot a snake, he is more afraid of them then me!

My fear started when I was a kid dove hunting, I shot one with my 20.ga and my uncle told me to put it in my vest so we can eat it, that friggin thing just squirmed and squirmed for 20 minutes! His head was removed as well. I remember walking and jumping a rabbit out of a bush in front of me and jumping 10 feet in the air!!! That's all it took.

07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Im gonna shoot from further than 3 yards!
I do have some chainsaw chaps, would protect the front and sides pretty well.

Maybey a judo point?

Maybe a wide 2 blade

07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Killed one yesterday with a rake. Quite sporting. http://img.tapatalk.com/48af4c15-c0da-b44d.jpg

I bet that was a big one!

jenbickel
07-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Rattlesnake hunting with a bow is super fun!!!! I grew up around rattlesnakes and usually don't wear chaps ( im sure one day I will learn my lesson! ) I usually just get up close and put the bottom part of my boot out to it to make it coil and then shoot it in the head. That or if it starts slithering away or whatever snakes do then I just follow it with my bow like you do a shotgun and a clay pigeon and shoot it in the head!! Ohhh yes, I love it!!!!!!

jenbickel
07-19-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry for the excessive excitement in my reply... Apparently hunting season needs to hurry up because I just got an adrenaline rush thinking about shooting snakes.

HuntWYODon
07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Haha. Wanna see me squirm in my pants, put a snake in front of me.

One of my old mans good friends shot himself in the foot trying to shoot a snake, he is more afraid of them then me!

My fear started when I was a kid dove hunting, I shot one with my 20.ga and my uncle told me to put it in my vest so we can eat it, that friggin thing just squirmed and squirmed for 20 minutes! His head was removed as well. I remember walking and jumping a rabbit out of a bush in front of me and jumping 10 feet in the air!!! That's all it took.

Hey DR,
Have you ever had one with no head strike at you and hit you hand ?When I was a kid. I shot two about 4ft.. Came home and threw them in the garage to skin later. Came out and one was missing. I followed the blood trail to behind the trash cans. Grabbed it and it struck and hit my hand with no head. Freaked me out ! I've skinned them and put them in the freezer while still squirming after being dead for about 4 hrs. I got bit by one in my garage about 5 yrs. ago Reaching down behind lawn mower. 54 viles of anti venom and a day in ER/ICU . $72,000.00. Thank God for insurance. I still had to pay $800.00 out a pocket.

HuntWYODon
07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Remember Jen, ole blue eyes is watching out for those judo points... LOL !

Fink
07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
That snake looks mean as hell. I'd kill him with no hesitation.

Drhorsepower
07-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey DR,
Have you ever had one with no head strike at you and hit you hand ?When I was a kid. I shot two about 4ft.. Came home and threw them in the garage to skin later. Came out and one was missing. I followed the blood trail to behind the trash cans. Grabbed it and it struck and hit my hand with no head. Freaked me out ! I've skinned them and put them in the freezer while still squirming after being dead for about 4 hrs. I got bit by one in my garage about 5 yrs. ago Reaching down behind lawn mower. 54 viles of anti venom and a day in ER/ICU . $72,000.00. Thank God for insurance. I still had to pay $800.00 out a pocket.

I try to stay as far away as possible from those things.... I think I will no longer be following this thread :)

velvetfvr
07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I try to stay as far away as possible from those things.... I think I will no longer be following this thread :)

I doubt that! I can think of a funny stunt to pull on ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drhorsepower
07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Funny for you! And obviously you are right, it is like a moth to a flame.

HuntWYODon
07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm holding him in the picture. Had him for 17 yrs. since a newborn. He's calm as can be. He calls me daddy...:eek:

Drhorsepower
07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm holding him in the picture. Had him for 17 yrs. since a newborn. He's calm as can be. He calls me daddy...:eek:

Your crazy man! I didn't know snakes live that long.

HuntWYODon
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Your crazy man! I didn't know snakes live that long.
Yeah, some can like 25 yrs. One of my boa's is 18 yrs. old and my big Burmese Python (17 ft.) is 15 yrs. old and have a 6 ft. Salvator (Water) monitor lizard I've had for almost 19 yrs. old. He's tame as a dog . He weighs 45 lbs. The Python weighs over 200 lbs. !
Heck, I had to put my dog down a couple yrs. ago and he was 16 1/2 yrs. old. A lab mix.

Fink
07-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah, some can like 25 yrs. One of my boa's is 18 yrs. old and my big Burmese Python (17 ft.) is 15 yrs. old and have a 6 ft. Salvator (Water) monitor lizard I've had for almost 19 yrs. old. He's tame as a dog . He weighs 45 lbs. The Python weighs over 200 lbs. !
Heck, I had to put my dog down a couple yrs. ago and he was 15 !/2 yrs. old. A lab mix.

I'm surprised the dog lived that long, with a 200lbs python hanging around!

HuntWYODon
07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm surprised the dog lived that long, with a 200lbs python hanging around!
LOL ! The snake is in a cage unless I let him out for exercise. My monitor lizard grew up with my dog and they got along fine. unless I left the dog food bowl on the floor. The monitor took over then. They were only one month apart. To this day the lizard doesn't fear dogs. He will lay out in my front yard sunning himself and when done crawl back in the garage and I'll put him in his cage. All the neighbors dig him. Some drive by real slow to see if he's in the yard. Maybe I'll post a pic.

jenbickel
07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Please do post a pic!!!!

hardstalk
07-21-2012, 09:44 AM
So hwd he is venomless correct?

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 05:25 PM
So hwd he is venomless correct?

The rattlesnake ? No, he's hot. Full venom sacks and fangs.
The monitor and everything else are non venomous.

HuntWYODon
07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Please do post a pic!!!!

Ok, I will try to on Mon. but don't tell me you want to go monitor/lizard hunting wth you bow afterwards... LOL !

jenbickel
07-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Ok, I will try to on Mon. but don't tell me you want to go monitor/lizard hunting wth you bow afterwards... LOL !

Lol!! I won't! I promise!!! I also promise to never attempt to bowhunt your rattler! :)

hardstalk
07-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Hwd your a different breed my man.More power to ya. Me. Personally I couldnt ever see myself living within proximity of a creature i cant communicate with that could kill me at any given moment. Like that lady with chimps who had them since they were babies who ended up getting her limbs ripped off one day when the chimps wanted to play around a bit... Hope you have some antivenom in the freezer.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Hwd your a different breed my man.More power to ya. Me. Personally I couldnt ever see myself living within proximity of a creature i cant communicate with that could kill me at any given moment. Like that lady with chimps who had them since they were babies who ended up getting her limbs ripped off one day when the chimps wanted to play around a bit... Hope you have some antivenom in the freezer.

Less chance of dying from a rattler bite than a chimp ripping your face off. I think I mentioned I was bit a few years ago in my garage. Not by my rattler. In 17 yrs. he's never struck or even rattled at me. He doesn't fear humans I suppose. Had him since born and have handled him since. If he ever bit it would most likely be a dry bite and not invenomate. I've raised and handled reptiles for 45+ years. I've been bit by more dogs than snakes and lizards. The nieghbor's little POS Dacshund or how ever you spell it bit me on the knee a month ago and finally healed. If he wasn't around I'd of given the wiener dog to my python.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Lol!! I won't! I promise!!! I also promise to never attempt to bowhunt your rattler! :)
Well alright then...;)

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
3790378937883787 \
This is Snoop. My 18 1/2 yr. old Water Monitor.

jenbickel
07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Awww well ain't he cute?!!

sjsmallfield
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Put the bow down jen. You promised. ;)

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
You say so ! Just watched you polax that turkey. Way to go !

sjsmallfield
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
The nieghbor's little POS Dacshund or how ever you spell it bite me on the knee a month ago and finally healed. If he wasn't around I'd of given the wiener dog to my python.

Now that is the video I want you to post!

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Put the bow down jen. You promised. ;)
I thought she was pullin my chain just to chalk up a monitor with he bow...Reptile huntress !

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd like to have the video of the 25 yd. dacshunde punt I did.

sjsmallfield
07-23-2012, 06:18 PM
I'd like to have the video of the 25 yd. dacshunde punt I did.

Yeah that would be sweet too.

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll send a video of the monitor in the tub and one of the python to my work pc. It's new and won't download the video.
I'll try from my laptop later.

jenbickel
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
As fun as it would be, I did promise that I wouldnt shoot him... What else ya got laying around there?! Lol If you go to my profile and look at my album there is a picture of me with one of the rattlers I shot with my bow. Just don't show ol' blue eyes ;)

HuntWYODon
07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
As fun as it would be, I did promise that I wouldnt shoot him... What else ya got laying around there?! Lol If you go to my profile and look at my album there is a picture of me with one of the rattlers I shot with my bow. Just don't show ol' blue eyes ;)
I know you wouldn't ! He's like a kid to me. I have 4 big boa's , a 17 ft. Burmese Python , 8 different kinds of king snakes, two milk snakes, 3 rosy boas , 1 rattler , a male and female baby water monitor's like the big one in the picture, my son and a rabbit named Lucky( was going to be python food). He lives in the backyard. He's a crack up. Had a dog for 16yrs. that I had to put down a couple yrs. ago but haven't got another. That's about it !

Fink
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
You should come down to Missouri, and collect all the snakes I have in my backyard.. They really enjoy all the river rock and pool water... I've got a nice mix of northern water snakes, black snakes, garden snakes, and some snake that is red, yellow and black.

They're all yours.

hardstalk
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I know you wouldn't ! He's like a kid to me. I have 4 big boa's , a 17 ft. Burmese Python , 8 different kinds of king snakes, two milk snakes, 3 rosy boas , 1 rattler , a male and female baby water monitor's like the big one in the picture, my son and a rabbit named Lucky( was going to be python food). He lives in the backyard. He's a crack up. Had a dog for 15yrs. that I had to put down a couple yrs. ago but haven't got another. That's about it !

Goodness. Ive got a baby and a wife and barely find time to hunt! Youve got jurassic park! Are they alot of maintnence?

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Goodness. Ive got a baby and a wife and barely find time to hunt! Youve got jurassic park! Are they alot of maintnence?
LOL ! The snakes aren't much maint. but the monitors are. They are messy. My big one isn't bad. He usaully goes to the bathroom in front yard when I take him out most everyday. easier than cleaning it up in the cage. My yard is dirt so no big deal. I feed him about every other day. The little ones every day. My big python a rabbit about every two weeks. Boa's and other snakes once a week. My son takes care of them when I hunt unless he is gong with me.

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 01:11 AM
You should come down to Missouri, and collect all the snakes I have in my backyard.. They really enjoy all the river rock and pool water... I've got a nice mix of northern water snakes, black snakes, garden snakes, and some snake that is red, yellow and black.

They're all yours.
Hah ! the red yellow and black sounds like a coral snake which is venomous or a milk snake which isn't. a cousin of the king snake. You may have cotton mouth's mixed in with those water snake you know unless you know what they look like. I'm sure you have copper heads too. Garter (not garden) are everywhere ! they like fish and frogs like the water snakes. If you make a note on the color bands of the red,yellow and black snake, I'll tell you if it's a coral snake or not. You don't want to get bit by them. Their venom is neurotoxin. Attacks the nervouse system unlike most rattlers,cotton mouth's and copperhead's which are hemotoxin. It attacks the muscle system. Bet you don't have a problem with mice or rat's !

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Can't get the video to download from a file or copy/paste . Tried different ways but no luck. It's an IMG not Jpg.

HuntWYODon
07-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Here's a pic of Big Dude. My son named him that when he was 4 yrs. old
He named the monitor lizard Snoopy when he was 2 yrs. old. We just call him snoop now.

jenbickel
07-27-2012, 05:51 PM
He looks like he would like to cuddle.

HuntWYODon
07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
He does with rabbits

sjsmallfield
07-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Don I want to send you my neigbors dogs so badly. That snake is a tank!

wolftalonID
07-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Why use a bow or gun...what happened to the old fashioned stick? I have caught many a snake using just that. Here is a pic, granted this one is not of a rattler, but a big ol Idaho gopher(bull) snake. I have no problem catching the pointy ones though, just got to be more careful they dont bite ya!

HuntWYODon
07-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Don I want to send you my neigbors dogs so badly. That snake is a tank!
LMAO ! I want to introduce him to my nieghbor's dachsunds ! He's right at 200 lbs. now and 17 ft. . If it was a female it would be bigger. Female Boa's, Python's and Anacona's get bigger than males. He is mellow as a dog . I have to drag him out of the garage to front yard. He doesn't mind. You can pet it's head and doesn't mind. Most snakes don't like their heads touched. My 2 redtail boa's are same way. Were did the nieghborhood cat's go ...?

HuntWYODon
07-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Why use a bow or gun...what happened to the old fashioned stick? I have caught many a snake using just that. Here is a pic, granted this one is not of a rattler, but a big ol Idaho gopher(bull) snake. I have no problem catching the pointy ones though, just got to be more careful they dont bite ya!

Bout a 5 ft. gopher sanke. Nice ! I had a couple 6 footers for a while. Catch a lot of king snakes around my area. 3 different color phases. Lot's of red diamond backs too. I used to catch rattler's while hunting and bring them back to camp and watch all them all run away. LOL !