PDA

View Full Version : D14 bucks

Pages : 1 [2]

BOHNTR
09-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Did you score it?

Not yet......looking forward to, though.

87TT
09-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice buck. What was the scoop? How far, What equipment? I just got back into bowhunting and this gives me inspiration.

30/06Gary
09-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Great buck!! Was that the one from last year?

sjsmallfield
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
That buck is a smoker for CA. Tell your fiend congrats!

Genetp
09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Guys first time I have posted to this site. Love all the pic of the bucks. I set my cam up back in Aug got some great Bucks. But they have all disappeared. Where do they go this time of the year? First time hunting D14. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 65806581658265836584

Genetp
09-28-2013, 10:12 AM
2 more pic I have.65856586

HuntWYODon
09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Great pics Genetp and welcome to the Forum. I found out how much fun trail cams are this year( thanks to Muleys24/7...:). Even when you set in your yard around the house. Cats,skunks, raccoons,possums and a bobcat I've seen in my frount yard at night. No coyotes yet but they are around all the time. I need to set some in the hills behind me to see if any deer there.

bigshot
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Cool looking buck Genetp, The bucks could be anywhere......the territory for the bucks in D14 is a little tricky, I have not figured it out myself. I killed a big unique unicorn buck a few years ago during rifle season and after I posted the picture on the website, I got an email from a local hunter saying he missed the same buck on whole different mtn about 5 miles away during the archery season!!

Sawfish
10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I have always felt like there is some mysterious magnetic force that notifies deer of the season opener. In Colorado, we used to ride around and see deer everywhere the day before season. Opening morning. Poof! They all disappeared.

Muleys 24/7
10-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I have always felt like there is some mysterious magnetic force that notifies deer of the season opener. I Colorado, we used to ride around and see deer everywhere the day before season. Opening morning. Poof! They all disappeared.

No kidding, same thing happened to me in Utah

Sawfish
10-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Not sure why this happens. Maybe the deer were visited by Aliens in ancient times, and received the gift of telepathic communication. :cool:

Genetp
10-03-2013, 06:42 PM
I understand now it's that space ship i seen out there. Well the cameras are back up. I will pull them tomorrow Friday and see what is there. I still think it is a cool place to hunt and know I will leave with a Buck :) Cross my fingers, throw salt over my shoulder, and knock on wood all the way there. Even a prayer. I live in Apple Valley about 1 hour from the spot. So i can go back and forth if need be. Thanks for all your help......

tonytrim
10-06-2013, 07:59 AM
So, a group of us went out to D19 this weekend at a yellow post site that rangers have never even visited while the group has been using for the last 20 years. We received 3 visits and notice to vacate because of govt shutdown. When we refused, they gave us 24 hrs or $10, 000 fine and or 6 mths in jail. Total bs.hopefully the funding happens before this weekend in D14.

Sawfish
10-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Nothing printable to add! :mad:

Sawfish
10-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I live in Apple Valley about 1 hour from the spot. I think I have sensed the electro-magnetic vibrations from that very spot!

Genetp
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
OK guys it opening weekend for them Aliens. Good luck to all who are rifle hunting!!!!!

grimsreapers
10-11-2013, 03:12 PM
i tried scouting today to get ready for the weekend but this is my first time hunting this zone and i have no idea where a good starting point is

Genetp
10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Well I had cameras set up all summer with pictures of nice bucks. Not a one seen on opening day. Try through the week see what I can find. So any starting point is good!!!!

seigex
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
I was out two separate days this weekend up and around 2N49, first time at D14 also. Saw 2 deer (couldn't make out buck or doe) in the distance on opening day, and 3 does yesterday, but no bucks unfortunately.

Sawfish
10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Well I had cameras set up all summer with pictures of nice bucks. Not a one seen on opening day. Try through the week see what I can find. So any starting point is good!!!!

Get any pictures of the space ship? :cool:

EasyE
10-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Hunted D14 for the first time this year. Saturday (opening day) I saw 3 spikes, 6 doe 3 fawns and a huge 10 point buck. Big buck was about 250yds away but couldnt get a good shot. Day went on and I tried tracking him down and never seen him again. Went back out on Sunday and ran into 5 more deer and finally this unique 2x3-ish that I was able to take a clean neck shot at from about 120 yds. There is alot of life out there and very good healthy sized. I've been hunting up in Nor-Cal D-6 for for the last couple of years and hope to take something up there this year.... Good luck all!

Jorge1636
10-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Where abouts did you see those buck any help I can get will be appreciated it's my first year hunting

bigshot
10-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Good job EasyE, that's its freaky buck.

bigshot
10-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Well, I'm tagged out for deer in D-14, I filled both my tags. I saw lots of bucks this year during archery and rifle season, now time to bear hunt! I took the 3x3 opening day and the 4x3 this last weekend.

EasyE
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Good work bigshot. Nice pair you got there. Bear will be fun, ill be in D14 for bear as well, this is my first year.
Good luck.

Sawfish
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Damn nice deer for anywhere in California, but super deer for D-14. Congratulations. I hear that you really earned them. :cool: Good luck on the bear. I am going to try calling one this year.

Muleys 24/7
10-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Good job Bigshot! I'll be heading up for the last time, this weekend before Wyoming. We'll see what happens. Congrats, you deserve it

sjsmallfield
10-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Congrats on a couple great bucks bigshot!

2Bigbuck44
10-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Nice job....used to hunt that area years ago before I moved out of state. I know it had been in decline, and was thinking the growing Cougar populations and Coyote populations might be why, as well as worsening habitat conditions. It's good to see some decent bucks though! Are deer herds improving in D-14?

bigshot
10-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys, good luck this weekend Muleys 24/7, Baby backs (4x4), is still out there waiting for ya......go get him!

Hey 2Bigbuck44 welcome to the forum, Over all, I personally do believe the herd is on a decline, but I think it's from poachers, Mt Lions and coyotes as a whole. The habitat has improved greatly from all the fires we've had the last ten years. The bucks I took this year had an inch of fat along their backs!

2Bigbuck44
10-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks bigshot....I miss hunting there, because it's where I first started hunting and shot my first buck in 86'. Haven't hunted it since 98'....but I still like to read up on it (good memories)..... I've enjoyed all the nice posts and pics in this thread...Good luck to everyone hunting it this year....I'd say an inch fat means those bucks were eating quite well. They look healthy in the pics. Too bad you can't thin out the Cougar population. Now I see you won't be able to use ammo with lead in it- good ole Kommiefornia politics....

Sawfish
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys, good luck this weekend Muleys 24/7, Baby backs (4x4), is still out there waiting for ya......go get him!

Hey 2Bigbuck44 welcome to the forum, Over all, I personally do believe the herd is on a decline, but I think it's from poachers, Mt Lions and coyotes as a whole. The habitat has improved greatly from all the fires we've had the last ten years. The bucks I took this year had an inch of fat along their backs!

Is it snowing up there today. Looks like there are plenty of clouds from down here.

bigshot
11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
It snowed up high about 3 inches

BOHNTR
11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
A co-workers D-14 buck from this morning.....

Sawfish
11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Great deer. Love those long tines!

bigshot
11-04-2013, 08:43 PM
A co-workers D-14 buck from this morning.....

Tell your co-worker congrats on a awesome buck!

SRubz
11-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Nice Bucks everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm in 29 palms and would like to hunt D14 this year and I don't know very much about the public land up there, I'm not from California and I figured I'd try and get a couple hunts in while I was out here. Does anyone know where I can get maps of the public land or any other information, I can't find very much about it on the internet. Thank You.

grimsreapers
11-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice Bucks everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm in 29 palms and would like to hunt D14 this year and I don't know very much about the public land up there, I'm not from California and I figured I'd try and get a couple hunts in while I was out here. Does anyone know where I can get maps of the public land or any other information, I can't find very much about it on the internet. Thank You.

bass pro shop has them but the season ends sunday

SRubz
11-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks, I was trying to get ready for next year, I've been offroading a lot near Big Bear Lake but other than the trails I don't know where it's legal to shoot and hunt. They have a lot of rules out here compared to Wisconsin.

Tag stew
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I was trying to get ready for next year, I've been offroading a lot near Big Bear Lake but other than the trails I don't know where it's legal to shoot and hunt. They have a lot of rules out here compared to Wisconsin.
Ha, that's an understatement!

Sawfish
11-07-2013, 11:35 AM

San Bernardino County publishes a map that shows the areas where it is legal to shoot and hunt in the San Bernardino National Forest and surrounding area, which is pretty much all D-14. I do not remember where I got mine, but I think that I picked it up at a forest ranger station near Big Bear a few years back.

SRubz
11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I was going to check around the town at the ranger stations and at the discovery center, thanks for the help. Is it all spot and stalk kind of hunting cause I wanted to go with my bow and have never hunted mountains like out here before. Also is there a good amount of land to hunt and what's there deer population like. I've never seen one but like I said I haven't really been far off the trails yet.

BOHNTR
11-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Here's another D-14 buck that was just taken.....this is a giant buck for that unit.

bigshot
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Very nice, has lots of mass and good length!

bigshot
11-10-2013, 09:03 PM

My buddies 16 year old son bagged this healthy 5x4 in D-14 this year. It's his son's second 4 point from D-14 two years in a roll......

Muleys 24/7
11-12-2013, 06:52 AM
For the zone, there was a hand full if decent bucks taken this year. Good job to those who got one.

HuntWYODon
11-12-2013, 12:26 PM

My buddies 16 year old son bagged this healthy 5x4 in D-14 this year. It's his son's second 4 point from D-14 two years in a roll......

Didn't he kill a nice buck in Colorado last year also or was that pic last year his D14 buck ? if so wow !

Muleys 24/7
11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
It was d14 Jr tag

HuntWYODon
11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
It was d14 Jr tag

Thank you sir

EasyE
11-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise

Muleys 24/7
11-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise

It depends were you live..... There's a place in San Jacinto called cliffs meats. That's where I go. The price varies depends on how you want your meat processed and what you want made.

bigshot
11-26-2013, 09:38 PM
I take mine to Pomona Meat Processing they make great hot dogs with cheese and jalapeno peppers....yummy. They charge about $80.00 for the meat processing and about $20.00 for 10 pounds of hotdogs (Well worth the price!).

EasyE
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!

Colorado Cowboy
11-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Guys I have a suggestion.....do your own. It is not that hard to do/learn and you get to control the quality and have the cuts you want. You really never know if you are getting your own meat back at a processor. I was burned back in the 80's in Wyoming and have never had a processor since then.

Just sayin.........

Muleys 24/7
11-27-2013, 02:14 PM
I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!

What did you take him an elk! LOL, that is really high. I usually get 10lbs of smoked jerky, 10lbs of smoked summer sausage, back strap filets and the rest ground into different types of breakfast sausages and ground meat for burgers and meatloaf's. It's never been over $175. With out any jerky or summer sausage, its usually around $120 depending on how much it weighs.

Muleys 24/7
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
I did my own this year, but it dose take some time to cut off a lot of the silver skin and prepare it for packing. If I don't have the time to do it, it's well worth the price to drop it off at the butcher......... if you have a good one. I've been going to my butcher for the last five years and always give him a good tip. I've never had a problem with them taking care of me. Heck he will even meet me over there after hours and the days they are closed to drop off a animal.

Muleys 24/7
11-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Did we turn this into a butcher thread?? I was hoping to see some more D14 bucks!

Sawfish
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
"...I did my own this year, but it dose take some time to cut off a lot of the silver skin and prepare it for packing...."

I have never heard of a butcher taking the time to do that.

HuntWYODon
12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !

Sawfish
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !

It is a lot of work, but you know what you have, as it has never left your possession from the time of kill. No "mixed meat" like you get from the volume Colorado processors, no hair, no dirt, etc., and (hopefully) you will never lose your own deer. I bought a Gamesaver (HD Foodsaver) a couple of years ago, which is something that I swore I would never do, but a bargain price of a SHOT Show sample changed my mind. Sorry that I did not get one sooner. My previous method was one wrap with clear food grade plastic wrap (nor saran wrap), and two wrappings with coated butcher paper. That takes a tremendous amount of time with a big deer or bear, and an eternity with an elk. I can accomplish the same thing with the Gamesaver in one-third the time using HD bags and vacuum seal. Even faster last year because I convinced one of my grand-daughters how much fun it was, and she did all of the vacuum sealing, plus I already have volunteers for this year.:cool:

HuntWYODon
04-13-2014, 03:46 PM
It is a lot of work, but you know what you have, as it has never left your possession from the time of kill. No "mixed meat" like you get from the volume Colorado processors, no hair, no dirt, etc., and (hopefully) you will never lose your own deer. I bought a Gamesaver (HD Foodsaver) a couple of years ago, which is something that I swore I would never do, but a bargain price of a SHOT Show sample changed my mind. Sorry that I did not get one sooner. My previous method was one wrap with clear food grade plastic wrap (nor saran wrap), and two wrappings with coated butcher paper. That takes a tremendous amount of time with a big deer or bear, and an eternity with an elk. I can accomplish the same thing with the Gamesaver in one-third the time using HD bags and vacuum seal. Even faster last year because I convinced one of my grand-daughters how much fun it was, and she did all of the vacuum sealing, plus I already have volunteers for this year.:cool:

Hey Saw,
I use a vacuum sealer also. I have a big one and a small one. I just use the big one with 8 and 11 in. bags. It's the only way to go. Been using since 2006. Last a long time in the freezer too. I've had 3 yr. old meat with no problems. The HD bags are sometimes hard to find. Man, I haven't been on the Forum since Dec. ???? See you in a few months... Hope you had a great time in Mammoth and got some scouting in you old fart. :)))

Sawfish
04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Hey Saw,
I use a vacuum sealer also. I have a big one and a small one. I just use the big one with 8 and 11 in. bags. It's the only way to go. Been using since 2006. Last a long time in the freezer too. I've had 3 yr. old meat with no problems. The HD bags are sometimes hard to find. Man, I haven't been on the Forum since Dec. ???? See you in a few months... Hope you had a great time in Mammoth and got some scouting in you old fart. :)))

Found some HD vacuum sealer bags on Amazon, and ordered a couple of rolls to try. The rolls are big (50'), but the price is definitely right. I did a few test packs before I left, and they seem to work fine. I will send you the brand name of the ones I ordered when I get home (still in Mammoth). Very warm here. NO snow. Going to invite my wife to go for a ride today (X9A) :rolleyes:.

Sevy
04-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi Guys...
I'm a newbee to the forum and just saw this thread today.
I too have been hunting D-14 for several year as I live smack dab in the middle of it. You all have had some nice deer taken out and I commend that. It's not an easy zone to find shooters I know that. I've seen nice deer nearly every year I hunt but this last weekend gave me pause.... While hiking/scouting with my 15 year old son near Wild Horse Meadows we ran smack dab into I'm guessing a 100 + young adult Lion near the bottom of the drainage some 150-175 yards out. After a moment my son (wisely) asked that we move on. :( Nearly an hour later we were within a 1/4 mile of the truck when at the top of the same drainage we saw a second cat. Now it may very well have been the same one (more than likely) but that was one long 1/4 let me tell you.
I'm wondering if the cat population in d-14 is on a serious incline? Any of you hear anything. I've seen only one other in all my years in the area.
I don't generally carry a firearm in the forest when not hunting but after this past weekend....I believe I may start.

Muleys 24/7
04-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the forum sevy, I know a few people that have seen big cats in d 14. All the years I've been hunting up there I'm surprised I haven't ran into when yet. I've just seen Cat tracks every season. I have also gotten several trail camera pictures of them in a few different locations of the forest. I almost always carry just in case something happens like the very incident you talked about. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Do you have any pictures of bucks you have taken from D14?

Sevy
04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome. This is a great resource and a knowledgeable group of folks on here.
I have some "before and after" pix I'll put up when I back into town. I believe you are correct that it's better to have than have not in this case. I used to carry but had a few hikers over the years get a little weirded out by the "firearm packin camo guy" so I just kinda stopped. Well now I got my kids to worry about so the heck with em ;)

Muleys 24/7
04-25-2014, 10:35 PM
The hiker issue can be awkward for some. Most the areas I scout have little to no activity, so my situation would be different. You might want to check the laws as well. A bear spray could be another option.

bigshot
04-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Hey guys be careful while driving and traveling in D14. Seems like its getting worse every year. Just recently while my buddy was in Seven Oaks area hiking and walking his dogs, he was suddenly approached by several juveniles (16-18 yrs old) armed with sticks and bats. The subjects demanded my buddies money. My buddy said this was the first time he was not armed, which is rare because he is a gun nut and is always armed. My buddies dog (Rottweiler) picked up on the subjects threatening behavior and started barking and lunging at them. The dog scared the subjects away and made them get back into their vehicle and flee. My buddy got in his truck and went after the subjects. The subjects were driving so fast they ended up loosing control of their vehicle and drove off a side hill and crashed into a tree. The subjects then fled on foot through the trees leaving the vehicle behind.

AKaviator
04-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Wow, that's scary. I hope the criminals get caught and that your friend remembers to stay armed next time.

Muleys 24/7
06-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Unless we get some serious rain going to be really dry this year in d14.

Sawfish
06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Unless we get some serious rain going to be really dry this year in d14.

The weather guessers keep talking about a late El Nino, but I do not have a lot of faith in that prediction. Drew an X-12 tag, so I will not be hunting D-14 this year. I am sure going to miss all of that dust!

Muleys 24/7
06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
The weather guessers keep talking about a late El Nino, but I do not have a lot of faith in that prediction. Drew an X-12 tag, so I will not be hunting D-14 this year. I am sure going to miss all of that dust!

Congrats on your tag! How many points did you have? Hopefully you'll get some honey holes from Don and tag a nice one! I'll be chasing trophy Mule deer in San Diego County and D14 again this year, lol. Still debating if I'm going to pull a over-the-counter tag out-of-state some where.

HuntWYODon
06-17-2014, 10:46 PM
My fee's are high Saw ! Lol ! I'd love to get back into X12 again for some revenge.
I have the first week of Oct. reserved for my Nevada area 231 tag I drew and maybe last week . First week of Nov. for Wy. and other than that a D16 and D14 for Ca.. Don't know about Az. yet. Muleys 24 is going to be my packer this year. :)

Sawfish
06-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Congrats on your tag! How many points did you have? Hopefully you'll get some honey holes from Don and tag a nice one! I'll be chasing trophy Mule deer in San Diego County and D14 again this year, lol. Still debating if I'm going to pull a over-the-counter tag out-of-state some where.

I had 4 points going into the draw. The OTC out of state tags are getting tougher to come by since CO went to draw only on Mule Deer. I think you can get an OTC Blacktail tag in Oregon. Texas has OTC tags for Whitetail and Mule deer, but not much public land worth hunting. Not sure about Don's Honey Holes since he came home sore footed and empty handed on his last try at X-12 (LOL).

Sawfish
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
My fee's are high Saw ! Lol ! I'd love to get back into X12 again for some revenge.
I have the first week of Oct. reserved for my Nevada area 231 tag I drew and maybe last week . First week of Nov. for Wy. and other than that a D16 and D14 for Ca.. Don't know about Az. yet. Muleys 24 is going to be my packer this year. :)

If things go as planned (which rarely happens), I plan on getting up to X-12 before the season for a scouting trip. I have a friend that moved to Mountain Ranch last year, who usually keeps tabs on X-12. I will give him a call closer to the season to see if he knows any hot places.

Sevy
06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Whoo-Yah!! Pulled X9A with an average 2 points between my eldest son and I. X9A has yet to let me down in times I've pulled it. To top it off, my youngest (13) pulled the J11 late season hunt on his first year of hunting. Ah...feeling like the big hunter up stairs is smiling on my family this year. Lets all hope for a little weather this fall up and down the west.

Sawfish
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Good luck. There are always deer in X-9A.