PDA

View Full Version : D14 bucks

Pages : [1] 2

bigshot
07-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Thought I should start a thread on d-14 bucks since I have two tags and will post pictures of bucks as we take them this year. Here is a picture of myself, my wifey, and my buddy, with some D14 bucks we took a few years ago on a very rainy day, a 2x2, 4x3, and a 4x4 respectfully. Sorry if the picture is bad, but took a photo of a photo with my cell phone. Wish I had used a better camera on this day and yes I shot the scrub, hahahaha. I let my wife take the 4x3!!

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Hey, I know that old burn ! I won't tell anybody where it is ! ;)
Nice D14 bucks for sure !!!

bigshot
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Yea HuntWYODon I luv hunting the burns. Here are two more bucks we took on a cold rainy day in D14, this time I shot the bigger buck! My buddy did not have good rain gear and froze his but off. Thats why the picture is so shaky.....he was trembling, lol. The quad in picture was the worst Honda Foreman I ever owned, kept breaking down on me. I finally traded it in for a Yamaha Griz...

bigshot
07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Here is my last year's D14 buck (2011 season). My buddy shot the wide 3x2, we saw several legal bucks this morning. When I hunt my local mts I'll shoot the first legal buck I see to fill the freezer. I then start trophy hunting or wait till last week to fill second tag.

bigshot
07-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Here is a freak 5x4 buck we took in D14 a few years back. The right side antler with the 5 weird points did not come out in photo. The deer was ugly when he was shot and came out uglier after I mounted it! lol sorry...

bigshot
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Here I am with my nephews first D14 buck, a 4x3. This buck was in a herd with several giant bucks, my nephew just pointed his rifle and shot, dropping one of the smaller bucks.....I asked him why he didn't shoot the biggest one. He replied, "Unkle, I was shaking so bad, I shot soon as I saw the first legal one in my scope!"

HuntWYODon
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Here I am with my nephews first D14 buck, a 4x3. This buck was in a heard with several other giant bucks, my nephew just picked one and shot.....I asked him why he didn't shoot the biggest one. He replied, "Unkle, I was shaking so bad, I shot soon as I saw the first legal one in my scope!"

All nice bucks for D14 or Calif. for that matter ! I had a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 . It was awesome. Tons of power and never had a problem with it and I beat the heck out of it in Ca.,Az.,Ut. and Wy. for 5 yrs. until I rolled it down a mtn. in Wy. and totaled it. I got a Polaris 800 Razor after that, camo of couse. No problems with it so far either. Yeah, there a lot of burns lately in San Berdoo Mtns. ! Going to be some better hunting I think. Like you, I always liked hunting the last week of the season and especially the last 3 days and if lucky get a snow storm or heavy rain. Then they come out like flies when it clears up. Did you ever hunt D14 back when it was all D11, both sides of 10 frwy ? It used to stay open until after Thanksgiving. Rut time ! They changed that probably because too many bucks getting shot.

Muleys 24/7
07-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Very nice bucks Bigshot! Anyone that puts alot of time in to D-14 like we do knows those bucks are nice ones for that zone.

Muleys 24/7
07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Yea HuntWYODon I luv hunting the burns. Here are two more bucks we took on a cold rainy day in D14, this time I shot the bigger buck! My buddy did not have good rain gear and froze his but off. Thats why the picture is so shaky.....he was trembling, lol. The quad in picture was the worst Honda Foreman I ever owned, kept breaking down on me. I finally traded it in for a Yamaha Griz...

look at the mass on that one, I always wonder why they fork so big without turning into 3x3s or 4x4s some times?

Muleys 24/7
07-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey, I know that old burn ! I won't tell anybody where it is ! ;)

Besides me! HAha :)

bigshot
07-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Very nice bucks Bigshot! Anyone that puts alot of time in to D-14 like we do knows those bucks are nice ones for that zone.

Thanks Muleys 24/7, yea most hunters will say any buck in D14 is a trophy!! You'll be surprised how many local 2x2s and 3x3s I mount for friends and family every year!! I have learned that our deer are built more like the northern Blacktails. Most take a blacktail manikin form when mounting (Taxidermy), and with blacktail size antlers to match and like blacktails, they have the big 2x2 and 3x3 gene.

bigshot
07-25-2012, 03:36 AM
One more D14 4x4.

bigshot
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
My son's D14 4x4, taken with a Browning A-bolt II Stainless Stalker 270WSM

bigshot
07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Anyone have pictures of D14 bucks, I'd sure like to see them.

Muleys 24/7
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Bigshot, nice pics and thanks for sharing, I need to go with you so I can have a good pic to post! I havn't taken one up there in a few years now, I passed on a couple because I wanted something better than a forky. I get my meat bucks from D-16, I think they taste better from down there.

bigshot
07-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Bigshot, nice pics and thanks for sharing, I need to go with you so I can have a good pic to post! I havn't taken one up there in a few years now, I passed on a couple because I wanted something better than a forky. I get my meat bucks from D-16, I think they taste better from down there.

Hey Muleys, I sent you a PM. Here is a 4x3 D14 buck my buddies took . The forth point on the right antler is hard to see.

bigshot
07-26-2012, 01:18 AM
I have a great butcher that makes hotdogs and stuffs them with cheese and Jalapeno located in Claremont, CA. Send me a PM, if anyone wants his info.

Muleys 24/7
07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Pm replied. I get alot of jerky and sausage made from my meat. Thats what we seem to eat the most.

HuntWYODon
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
I have a great butcher that makes hotdogs and stuffs them with cheese and Jalapeno located in Claremont, CA. Send me a PM, if anyone wants his info.

I worked at Claremont Colleges for 7 yrs.
I bought a grinder with the sausage attachment and for the last two yrs. have tried making different types of sausages. You just gave me another recipe ! I'm no good at feeding the sausage as it's getting stuffed. I always break it or whatever. The girlfriend is good at it though. Go figure ???

HuntWYODon
07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Muleys24/7 and Bigshot,
I told you I was going post pics or the two biggest D14 bucks but forgot.

bigshot
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Very nice bucks, thanks for sharing HuntWYODon.

I went out scouting today and saw four legal bucks. I was able to take photos of two, the other two were too far and my camera would not focus on them. I'm going to look into getting an adapter for my spotter. Here are the bucks....

Muleys 24/7
07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Muleys24/7 and Bigshot,

Very nice, I hope to get something like that in those mountains one day.

Muleys 24/7
07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Very nice bucks, thanks for sharing HuntWYODon.

I went out scouting today and saw four legal bucks. I was able to take photos of two, the other two were too far and my camera would not focus on them. I'm going to look into getting an adapter for my spotter. Here are the bucks....

That's cool bigshot, that one is a pretty big forky. Seeing your pics makes me want to go back up there to scout!

bigshot
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Yea he is a trophy forkie hahaha, typical southern cali deer and their screwed up genes. He'll probly stay a forkie all his life.

HuntWYODon
07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Yea he is a trophy forkie hahaha, typical southern cali deer and their screwed up genes. He'll probly stay a forkie all his life.
Yeah he probably will ! Looks to be at least 20 in. already. I saw a huge forky in Az. unit 21 that I used to archery bow hunt for javalina and deer all the time in Jan.. I hunted this same buck on three 3 day trips in a row. From my house to where he was was almost 400 mi.. He had a rack like a longhorn steer and was 34 to 36 in wide. I even had 2 taxidermist friend's give me the same spread. I won't get into the stories about the stalks on him but never got him. I actually got two stalks on him the last trip. I have pictures of him with does and two weeks later he was done with them and by himself and limping. Maybe from a fight. I wished I had a Nov. rifle tag instead.I have another picture of a giant forky laying down in Yosemite Park that is at least 28 in. If I come across the pics I'll take a pic with phone and post them. Forkie's for life !

Muleys 24/7
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Forkie's for life !

That's funny!

Colorado Cowboy
08-01-2012, 08:16 AM
I have a 24"w x 22"h forkie on my wall! An absolutely beautiful mount! A biologist with F & G validated the tag and told me it was a pretty old deer. He said a lot of times when they get just past their "prime", their antlers will revert back instead of gain points. He called it a "Pacific Buck". Regardless, it was a great buck, shot it in 1969 in D7. Big body, weighted 179# field dressed. There were 3 bucks moving together in some pretty thick manzanita brush and all I could see was horns, all were nice shooter bucks (at leasy for me). I held on a small opening about 100 yards away and slightly downhill and when the first one moved thru it, I popped him. My hunting buddy worked down to where the buck was and I started down to start gutting him. I asked how big he was and he said "Just a Forkie". I yelled no way, when I got to the deer he had the biggest grin on his face and just about fell over laughing.

I'll get a picture and post it. I think it might be already on my Profile. It's the last one, only one with 2 images. Bottom pict.

bigshot
08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey CC, just saw the pictures in your profile, "Man," you have taken some nice cali bucks!! The one tied to the horse, looks to be around 30 inches wide.

Colorado Cowboy
08-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I have...got a couple over 30" over the years. That one was 31" (if I remember correctly!) All of them were taken in D7 backcountry.

HuntWYODon
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I have...got a couple over 30" over the years. That one was 31" (if I remember correctly!) All of them were taken in D7 backcountry.
That's pretty awesome for D7 ! Won't find taht any more !
Hey CC, did you see the thread about anybody hunted X10 ? I posted and mentioned you might know more than me.
Maybe you bigshot or Muleys 24/7 may have also. Been a long time since I did and didn't have much info for him. It's in the "mule deer" section.

Muleys 24/7
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Archery opens next weekend! Did you get a bow Bigshot? I have to take mine to basspro today because the elastic piece that go's from my string to the peep sight broke! I just happened this morning, better now than opening morning.

bigshot
08-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Archery opens next weekend! Did you get a bow Bigshot? I have to take mine to basspro today because the elastic piece that go's from my string to the peep sight broke! I just happened this morning, better now than opening morning.

Na, I hav'nt bought a bow yet. I ended up buying a Garmin 550t GPS instead, and several of the 25k SD cards for Wyoming, CA, and Colorado. I'll get one next year, I never should have given my kid my bow!! lol....good luck on your bow hunt, maybe I'll run into you while I'm scouting.

Muleys 24/7
08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice GPS, isn't there another model of that for $100 bucks more that comes with the whole US topo already pre loaded? I was just checking out new GPS the other day and I thought that's what the guy said. He was saying it was cheaper to buy that than all the SD cards?

Thanks for the good luck, I'm going to need it! My scouting hasn't been going that good. I probley have better luck getting my first bear this year. I think I know were one travels or lives. As far as deer go's, it's looking like tag soup in D-14 again because I'm not going to pop another forky....unless it's a huge one.

Muleys 24/7
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I went to pull a couple trail cams today, It seems I get more mountain lion pics than deer!

bigshot
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I went to pull a couple trail cams today, It seems I get more mountain lion pics than deer!

That sux as far as seeing more MT Lion than deer. I will send you a PM regarding some good archey only areas you can try that are loaded with bucks.
My GPS does come with all the US TOPO maps already down loaded, but they are in 100k, which does not show alot of detail up close. The TOPO's I purchased come in 24K, and when I hover over private property, they provide the land owners info in case I need to ask for permission to trespass.

Muleys 24/7
08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
You must have the one I was looking at with the preloaded stuff, thats pretty neat about the private prop thing. It sounds like your getting ready for a wilderness hunt with all the new gear you've been getting? I'll probey stick with my Garman rhino 530hcx this year and then upgrade next year. thanks for the PM

HuntWYODon
08-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey Muley's and bigshot. I think a while back we were talking about big forked horns or maybe it was another thread I don't know. I was searching for some pics yesterday and found the big forkie I took pics of in Yosemite in 1991 and big forkie I hunted in Az. unit 21 late archery in 1989. I couldn't find the best pic though. I also included a buck I took a pic of on 30 acres I owned on the Paunsagaunt Plateau, Ut. in July 1994 before I sold it in 1996 and bought 40 acres in Wy..He wasn't even done growing yet. I have some pics of monsters there. I could never draw Paunsagaunt.

Muleys 24/7
08-29-2012, 06:07 PM
The first one is wide but forks are not very deep. Thats to bad about not drawing the Paunsagaunt. My dream is to hunt the henerys.

HuntWYODon
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
The first one is wide but forks are not very deep. Thats to bad about not drawing the Paunsagaunt. My dream is to hunt the henerys.
Im just talking about the width not making the book ! I bet he's 28 to 30 in. easy. I've burned my points a couple times on Ut. limited entry deer . Last one was a 28 in. buck in the Book Cliffs 2004 . 4080 Took this buck in Wy. month later in Wy. 4081 This buck I took in 12B Az. 28 in. Look at right side , a big fork !4082 Sorry if I've posted some pics before. I'm old and don't care. LOL !

bigshot
08-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Wow, them are some dandy bucks!! That bedded buck is a toad!! huge body and cool forkie rack!!

HuntWYODon
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Wow, them are some dandy bucks!! That bedded buck is a toad!! huge body and cool forkie rack!!
I let a local who drew Paunsagaunt tag hunt my property when I met him trespassing on it when I was pulling out camp trailer. I showed him some pics of the buck from July (it was August and I was bowhunting on Kiabab). He said he saw that buck that morning. I gave him the pics and my address. He sent me an article about a guy who shot the buck with bow but couldn't enter it in P&Y becauce he had a scope on his bow....??? The guy was an official scorer for Ut. big game and sent me a copy of Ut. big game records. Pretty cool huh ?

bigshot
08-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I let a local who drew aaunsagaunt tag hunt my property when I met him trespassing on it when I was pulling out camp trailer. I showed him some pics of the buck from July (it was August and I was bowhunting on Kiabab). He said he saw that buck that morning. I gave him the pics and my address. He sent me an article about a guy who shot the buck with bow but couldn't enter it in P&Y becauce he had a scope on his bow....??? The guy was an official scorer for Ut. big game and sent me a copy of Ut. big game records. Pretty cool huh ?

Wait don't tell me, I bet it was a Vortex Viper scope on that bow!!! What ever.......lol

HuntWYODon
08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Nah ! some kind of magnified bowsite that disqualified him. What a dork. He shot it at 65 yrds or something close to that.

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Leaving tomarrow afternoon for D-14 archery deer opener on Saturday,if I happen to see a bear I got one of those tags too! Hopefully I'll have some pics to post when I get back, if not, there's still 2 months to fill that deer tag. Everythings packed up and ready to grab as soon as I get home from work. We had a nice thunderstorm down poor today so the ground should be good and damp for a steath stock all weekend.

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm looking for a trophy forkie! Lol jk

HuntWYODon
08-30-2012, 09:41 PM
That's great ! Hope you are near the east side for bear... I look to the north and it looks like the mtns are getting hammed with rain. I hope so. I't does nothing here to the south but look threatining and not rain. Hunt well my friend and go silent with great smell's and with the wet ground. Let the hunt God's be with you and be safe. Hope to see some pics successful or not. Doesn't matter. Have fun !

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Yea, as I was leaving work today in Highland.......it was raining really,really hard! I hope it dose it again this weekend, I love hunting in what most call bad weather.

HuntWYODon
08-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Yea, as I was leaving work today in Highland.......it was raining really,really hard! I hope it dose it again this weekend, I love hunting in what most call bad weather.

Shoot straight and don't pass on those forkie's (Ca, trophies) LOL !

Muleys 24/7
09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Shoot straight and don't pass on those forkie's (Ca, trophies) LOL !

I seen a dozen or so deer but no bucks, after the Wy trip this coming weekend I'll head back up to take another look......round 2 in D-14.

Arrowhead Hunter
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey y'all.
Brand new to the site and can't believe the pics. Bigshot, u seem to have d14 figured out for sure. All other forums seem to just wanna talk about how lame d14 has gotten. I'm a new hunter with this only being my second year ever. I live five minutes from the gun range off 173, so that's naturally my first in hunting area. I would love some advice on technique and better yet maybe some good areas. Bigshot, I see u mentioned an archery only area that is good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pm or just reply works for me. Thanks

bigshot
09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the Forum Arrowhead Hunter, I sent you a PM.

Muleys 24/7
09-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the Forum Arrowhead Hunter, I sent you a PM.

Bigshot,Dose that mean I'm going to have company now! Lol! Welcome to the forum Arrowhead Hunter!

HuntWYODon
09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Welcome Arrowhead Hunter. Hey you two, company !

bigshot
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Bigshot,Dose that mean I'm going to have company now! Lol! Welcome to the forum Arrowhead Hunter!

lol...maybe.

Muleys 24/7
09-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Just wondering, has anyone ever arrowed a buck from D-14?

BOHNTR
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Just wondering, has anyone ever arrowed a buck from D-14?

I've arrowed a few over the years.

fire_man_luke
09-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I've hunted D14 for about 10 years now, I started hunting with my dad when I was 16. Of course, back then hunting consisted of going out on the weekends and hoping we'd see even a doe at times. Now that I'm a older and hunting has become a passion rather than a hobby, I find myself up there in the woods more days than not during the season and have abandoned the pinnacles because of all the other hunters that frequent there. I've been succesful in arrowing bucks in D14 the last two years but they don't compare to bigshots by any means. One was a 2x2 and the other was a wider 2x3. I'm still hoping to see a 4x soon let alone shoot one. I missed a girthy 3x3 this year as I thought he was 35 yards out instead of 45. Missed right below him. I think he was just passing through the area as I haven't got him on a game camera or haven't seen him in the area since.

Hey Bigshot, most of your bigger bucks look like really open areas, not really ideal for bows, think you would of had a chance at any had you not had your rifle? Maybe I'm hunting in too dense of areas if I wanted a chance at a 4x, thoughts?

HuntWYODon
09-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey fire man ,
Any buck in D14 is an accomplishment and with a bow is an xlnt achievement !
Congrats !

Muleys 24/7
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey fire man ,
Any buck in D14 is an accomplishment and with a bow is an xlnt achievement !
Congrats !

I'd say the same. I missed a couple times with my bow, but have yet had success.

bigshot
09-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I've hunted D14 for about 10 years now, I started hunting with my dad when I was 16. Of course, back then hunting consisted of going out on the weekends and hoping we'd see even a doe at times. Now that I'm a older and hunting has become a passion rather than a hobby, I find myself up there in the woods more days than not during the season and have abandoned the pinnacles because of all the other hunters that frequent there. I've been succesful in arrowing bucks in D14 the last two years but they don't compare to bigshots by any means. One was a 2x2 and the other was a wider 2x3. I'm still hoping to see a 4x soon let alone shoot one. I missed a girthy 3x3 this year as I thought he was 35 yards out instead of 45. Missed right below him. I think he was just passing through the area as I haven't got him on a game camera or haven't seen him in the area since.

Hey Bigshot, most of your bigger bucks look like really open areas, not really ideal for bows, think you would of had a chance at any had you not had your rifle? Maybe I'm hunting in too dense of areas if I wanted a chance at a 4x, thoughts?

Hey Fireman Luke, no, I don't think an archery hunter would of had a shot at any of the larger bucks we took. Most of the big bucks we tagged, were running and chasing does in the open and several hundred yards away. D-14 is a tough place to hunt with a rifle!! Let alone with a bow, my hats off to you archery boys. On a positive note, you guys have a much larger area to hunt due to the new no shooting restrictions (Rifles) around cabins and highways....that's were I'd be spending most of my time. The deer around cabins are used to seeing people and will not be as skittish. Obtain a copy of the new legal shooting map and scout, scout, scout, did I mention to scout. You can find the maps in Bass Pro and Turners sporting goods. Good luck brother.

fire_man_luke
09-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I talked to a Forest Service LEO about that map, she said there was some legal weight to the maps as it was brought up as an authoritative document in a legal case when pinning a wildfire ignition on some target shooters. Apparently Manzanita Flats Shooting Range is in the no rifle zone? (Haven't verified if its true yet) However, she was adamant that anyone can shoot a rifle anywhere in the National Forest as long as it was safe, responsible, and 150 yards away from dwellings, roads, etc. In addition, the mountain communities are not incorporated cities, so they fall under County responsibility and law. I've asked several SB County Sheriff Officers,(they'd be the ones enforcing a County code) none of which could tell me if it was legal/illegal to shoot a rifle in a certain area. That map says it's ok to shoot a rifle in a residential area next to Lake Arrowhead Elementary school but you can't near Manzanita Flats or Heaps Peak? I think these kind of inconsistencies is why most hunters out there just disregard that map to begin with, nobody will enforce it and sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I try to scout more each year as I find more spots holding deer. Lately, that's what archery season turns into, a 23 day long scouting session! Thanks for the advice!

AMS
09-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone,
New to this forum but live in Running Springs and have hunted the past two seasons in D14. 2010 was my first year hunting and I'm teaching myself. Good to see people are successful here. Truth is I've seen alot of bucks and a couple huge ones last year and this year so keep at it. An old 5x2 was hit about a month age right near the top of the 330. There's deer every where, they are just hard to find and hunt. This past winter was pretty dry but there is still alot of vegatation and it seems like there was alot of breeding/ numbers due to the previous two winters. There's also alot of deer getting hit between Pali mountain and Kuffle canyon. Just got back last night from San Gorgonio and wasn't successful during archery season but can't wait for rifle to start.
Alan

HuntWYODon
09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone,
New to this forum but live in Running Springs and have hunted the past two seasons in D14. 2010 was my first year hunting and I'm teaching myself. Good to see people are successful here. Truth is I've seen alot of bucks and a couple huge ones last year and this year so keep at it. An old 5x2 was hit about a month age right near the top of the 330. There's deer every where, they are just hard to find and hunt. This past winter was pretty dry but there is still alot of vegatation and it seems like there was alot of breeding/ numbers due to the previous two winters. There's also alot of deer getting hit between Pali mountain and Kuffle canyon. Just got back last night from San Gorgonio and wasn't successful during archery season but can't wait for rifle to start.
Alan

Looks like you have been doing your homework and are ahead of the curve ! I hate to see bucks get hit by cars. Kind of like it's always the big bucks that lions kill. I think older/big bucks chose to fight instead of run maybe ??? Another topic I suppose.

AMS
09-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I think I have things figured out but I ve been suprised this year already. I know there's at least two lions in a certain area but still a lot of deer and I can't figure that out. In the local newspaper up here there was actually a buck that jumped in a guys truck and smacked him in the face, try to figure that one out! You can shoot rifle in the manzanita flats area from the 330 to the 38 from the 18 down to the dam. Only spots really off limits in that section is near snow valley, the flat area south of big bear lake, and as you get down to residential area of east highland. Its pretty much based on common sense and you should be fine.

AMS
09-24-2012, 05:08 PM
To fire man luke, heaps peak area is kinda sketchy. The boyscouts get pretty upset if you are on or apparently near their land. South of the 18 is good to go but not very nice country.

bigshot
09-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I talked to a Forest Service LEO about that map, she said there was some legal weight to the maps as it was brought up as an authoritative document in a legal case when pinning a wildfire ignition on some target shooters. Apparently Manzanita Flats Shooting Range is in the no rifle zone? (Haven't verified if its true yet) However, she was adamant that anyone can shoot a rifle anywhere in the National Forest as long as it was safe, responsible, and 150 yards away from dwellings, roads, etc. In addition, the mountain communities are not incorporated cities, so they fall under County responsibility and law. I've asked several SB County Sheriff Officers,(they'd be the ones enforcing a County code) none of which could tell me if it was legal/illegal to shoot a rifle in a certain area. That map says it's ok to shoot a rifle in a residential area next to Lake Arrowhead Elementary school but you can't near Manzanita Flats or Heaps Peak? I think these kind of inconsistencies is why most hunters out there just disregard that map to begin with, nobody will enforce it and sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I try to scout more each year as I find more spots holding deer. Lately, that's what archery season turns into, a 23 day long scouting session! Thanks for the advice!

If this is true and the map has no weight, then I know of some big bucks that are in deep trouble, cause I'll be hunting them with my 7mm saum!! Thanks for the heads up.

HuntWYODon
09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
If this is true and the map has no weight, then I know of some big bucks that are in deep trouble, cause I'll be hunting them with my 7mm saum!! Thanks for the heads up.

Not your 300 RUM ? LOL !

Ihuntca
10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I scouted D-14 this week end. It looks drier than last year. Lot's of sign at 5k to 8k. I jumped this deer on a road. Prints showed 3 does with it moving down in elevation. Saw lots of bear sign and a bobcat too. 1N09 is locked at Bear Creek. What's with that?

Muleys 24/7
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I scouted D-14 this week end. It looks drier than last year. Lot's of sign at 5k to 8k. I jumped this deer on a road. Prints showed 3 does with it moving down in elevation. Saw lots of bear sign and a bobcat too. 1N09 is locked at Bear Creek. What's with that?

Welcome to the forum Ihuntca, That gate has been locked since the begining of the year as far as I know. The forest station told me because the roads were un drivible due to storms last winter??????? Who really knows? They also said they don't know when they will open it.

bigshot
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Not your 300 RUM ? LOL !

Nope, my 300 rum is for colorado elk, can't wait!! :cool:

bigshot
10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone,
Alan

Did you see any deer in San Gorgonio. Planning to hike in On Monday after the opener for a few days.

AMS
10-08-2012, 02:16 AM
There was deer sign where I went and for sure some good bucks if you put in the work. There was a group of hikers going to the summit in the campground i was hiking to the night before. They had a fire and the way the wind works there it probably did a good job of busting everything out. Theres lots of trails, scat, and beds. Which part are you heading towards? PM me if you want and ill let you know if ive been there and what i did or didnt find.

tonytrim
10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a first year hunter to D14 for deer. Went to D19 this weekend with my brother-in-law and saw lots of doe but no luck with the buck. Does anyone know if the forest service road gates open on opening weekend?

tonytrim
10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi Ihuntca,
What time of day did you snap this? Looks like afternoon...?

Muleys 24/7
10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if the forest service road gates open on opening weekend? There is tons of gates open.............some they keep shut for longer periods of time. I knew of some gates that have been closed for up to five years, untill just recently. Shut gates don't bother me, it just keeps the lazy/road hunters out?

tonytrim
10-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info!

Nut138
10-16-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm new to this site and just read ur posts. Very nice work. I have had zero success hunting d14. I only see doe. I have tried different locations and put in a lot of time. I'm getting frustrated and annoyed. Can u give me some info please?

abowtro
10-16-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm new to this site and just read ur posts. Very nice work. I have had zero success hunting d14. I only see doe. I have tried different locations and put in a lot of time. I'm getting frustrated and annoyed. Can u give me some info please?

There are bucks there but very hard to find .got one on Sunday where have you been looking?

bigshot
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
There are bucks there but very hard to find .got one on Sunday where have you been looking?

Hey abowtro, lets see some pictures of your D14 buck. Our hunting party shot two forkies over the opening day weekend. I passed up a forkie yesterday.

Nut138
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Abowtro. I have tried multiple spots. Only does. That's all I ever see. I'll pm u.
Bigshot I tried to pm u to but ur mailbox is full

bigshot
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Ok, I cleaned it out try again.

bigshot
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Muleys24/7 and Bigshot,

Hey Don how wide is the rack on the left side.

HIGHLAND HUNTER
10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice photo , first time hunting d14 I went up Palm ave into mountains above Silverwood Lake only seen about 8 doe's.

HIGHLAND HUNTER
10-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice, where at in d14 is that.

Shaun
10-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Great So Cal Bucks!!!

bigshot
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I ended up tagging this buck today. He was with two other forkies and two Doe's. I was running out of time and still have a few more tags to fill before my trip to Colorado next week. So, I thought I better start shooting to fill the freezer. I know its not a "Monster," but any buck in Zone D14 is a considered a "trophy," in my book. This unit only had a 3 percent success rate last year. While hunting, I spoke with guys that have been hunting this unit for seven years now and have yet to see a legal buck!!

sjsmallfield
10-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Nothing wrong with that buck bigshot. Congrats!

bigshot
10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Well, I took my brother out today and he got lucky Damit!!....Check out his D14 4x4 with eye guards. My brother has a bad back and did not want to hike far, so I agreed to try some of my easy spots that I have not hunted in a few years. The first areas we checked we only saw 4 Does and a Spike. The weather was very cool (31 degrees) so we continued to hunt the area. Right around noon we located this beuty chasing after a Doe in an open meadow. My brother made a awesome shot with his Rem 700 7MM RM, and the buck dropped in his tracks.

tonytrim
10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I hiked San G Wilderness area after two trips to the Mill Creek Ranger station to get a permit last weekend. After 2.5 hrs hiking up to 7500ft, we stopped for a break and were arguing that there was nothing on that trail and were going to turn around. We finally agreed to keep going to the next bubbling spring and 40ft from our break stop, a ginormous buck appears in some brush between the trail switchbacks. We chased him for another 2 hrs to come up empty handed. All in all, 6 mile roundtrip hike that took 5 hrs....

tonytrim
10-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Here is a pic of the ghost I spotted two days before opening day. Since then, I've been 5 times and got nothing...This is my first year in D-14. So far, it lives up to its reputation.4394

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey bigshot. Sorry to reply so late. Haven't been on forum for awhile. Had to go back to page 2 to look !
That one was 22 in.. The one on right I don't remember but it had 5 in. eyegaurds ! The one on left a taxidermist friend I was hunting with aged him at 7 1/2 yrs.. He regressed to having crab forks but still had good mass and eyegaurds. He said a couple yrs. earlier he would of been better ???
PM me your email address again please.

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Dam bigshot ! You are the D14 King ! What a pig for D14 ! Awesome !
Congrats to both of you !

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Congrats bigshot ! That's a D14 trophy no matter how you look at !
I have several from D14 that look just like it and smaller ! LOL !

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Oh, I guess you wouldn't shoot it then huh ? LOL !

bigshot
10-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Here is a pic of the ghost I spotted two days before opening day. Since then, I've been 5 times and got nothing...This is my first year in D-14. So far, it lives up to its reputation.4394

Man that area looks thick!!

bigshot
10-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Great to see you on here again Don, wondered what happened to you. Thought maybe you got a new girlfriend or something and you was busy! by the way the rut is on in san berdoo county.

Muleys 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh, I guess you wouldn't shoot it then huh ? LOL !

I would, still a nice one

Muleys 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I ended up tagging this buck today. He was with two other forkies and two Doe's. I was running out of time and still have a few more tags to fill before my trip to Colorado next week. So, I thought I better start shooting to fill the freezer. I know its not a "Monster," but any buck in Zone D14 is a considered a "trophy," in my book. This unit only had a 3 percent success rate last year. While hunting, I spoke with guys that have been hunting this unit for seven years now and have yet to see a legal buck!!

4377 good job, nice forky!

Muleys 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, I took my brother out today and he got lucky Damit!!....Check out his D14 4x4 with eye guards. My brother has a bad back and did not want to hike far, so I agreed to try some of my easy spots that I have not hunted in a few years. The first areas we checked we only saw 4 Does and a Spike. The weather was very cool (31 degrees) so we continued to hunt the area. Right around noon we located this beuty chasing after a Doe in an open meadow. My brother made a awesome shot with his Rem 700 7MM RM, and the buck dropped in his tracks.

4393 dang, super huge for D-14. Is he going to get it mounted?

HuntWYODon
10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Great to see you on here again Don, wondered what happened to you. Thought maybe you got a new girlfriend or something and you was busy! by the way the rut is on in san berdoo county.

Girlfriend ? Nahh ! Have a hard enough time keeping the old one away. Two trips to X12 and other biz. Didn't have much time.
Rutting already ? Wow ! I've never seen them rut before 1st or 2nd week of Nov.. I guess they don't know what date it is ! I think you said the 4x4 was following a doe around. That's a good sign. Waiting for her to come into estrus probably.
I've always notice the bucks around Cody, Wy. start about Nov. 6th or 7th if I had to pin it down. My area 125 tag this yr. goes to the 15th :) Before that I always got a Reg. F tag since 1998 and can hunt to Nov. 10th. My son and a friend got leftover Reg. F tags and we all got doe antelope and doe deer tags. I hope we don't fill them all... Back in 1992 a friend and I had each a buck antelope tag and 5 does tags each...Way too much work with 10 animals ! We each had to buy another big cooler and a couple cheap styrofoam coolers with what we already brought.

Muleys 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Don, a few times I've seen bucks chasin does in D-14 around the last week of oct.

Muleys 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Keep after it, most of the time they'll stay in the same area. Good luck

bigshot
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
dang, super huge for D-14. Is he going to get it mounted?

yea I'm gonna mount it for him.

bigshot
10-28-2012, 10:59 PM
One more D14 4x4 hits the dirt!! This one had a whitetail type rack on the right side and a typical mule deer rack on the left. One of the biggest bodied bucks I have seen come from Sanberdoo County. We met these very nice guys while hunting and on Saturday they beat me and Muleys 24/7, into my honey hole!! (Sorry Muleys 24/7, only if we got there sooner, Damit!! lol) They shot the buck on a ridge just above us, so we walked up to them and assisted with the gutting and dragging back to the truck. Had a great time and made new friends.

sjsmallfield
10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
That is a great Dzone buck. Sorry you guys couldn't get there sooner.

HuntWYODon
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Don, a few times I've seen bucks chasin does in D-14 around the last week of oct.

Yeah, but they're just checkin the doe's out. I bet if you call a game bio he'll say they start around first week Nov. and mid to end of Nov. heavy into it. After season closes of course. I'm not doubting you though ! :)

HuntWYODon
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
One more D14 4x4 hits the dirt!! This one had a whitetail type rack on the right side and a typical mule deer rack on the left. One of the biggest bodied bucks I have seen come from Sanberdoo County. We met these very nice guys while hunting and on Saturday they beat me and Muleys 24/7, into my honey hole!! (Sorry Muleys 24/7, only if we got there sooner, Damit!! lol) They shot the buck on a ridge just above us, so we walked up to them and assisted with the gutting and dragging back to the truck. Had a great time and made new friends.

Hey bigshot,
Muleys told me what happened. That blows. I've seen bucks like that one both sides that look like whitetail racks.
you have to the 11/11 so stay after it !

bigshot
10-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey bigshot,
Muleys told me what happened. That blows. I've seen bucks like that one both sides that look like whitetail racks.
you have to the 11/11 so stay after it !

Hey Don, actually I'm done hunting D-14 for the season. I'm preparing for my Colorado hunt (Elk and Deer) and leaving on Wednesday. I won't be back till 11-12-12. It was a short but successful season.

Muleys 24/7
10-29-2012, 09:19 PM

Yea, I had a great time too. It's always a good time getting out in the woods. I'll probly head up another time or two before season ends just to see if I can make something happen.

HuntWYODon
11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Hey Don, actually I'm done hunting D-14 for the season. I'm preparing for my Colorado hunt (Elk and Deer) and leaving on Wednesday. I won't be back till 11-12-12. It was a short but successful season.
Good luck on your Co. hunt ! I'm leaving for Wy. Mon.. Have an area 125 deer tag, a doe deer tag and doe lope tag.
My son and friend have Reg. F deer tags and doe tags also. Going to be busy but one good thing is that their season ends the 10th, mine the 15th :) I'll head back the 16th or 17th at the latest.

AMS
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Got my first Buck yesterday! I'll figure out how to post pics this weekend but he's a forky. A new hunting bud and friend helped me out from glassing him up to putting him in the freezer!

HuntWYODon
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
In D14 ? Good job ! Congrats !

tonytrim
11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Saw some fresh tracks today near Thomas grounds. Anyone know if Seven Oaks is off limits to hunt muleys? I'm still empty handed this year, but have a few more days left to push...

Muleys 24/7
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
As long as your not on privite prop I don't see why it would be off limits?? Good luck

BOHNTR
11-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Validated a buck taken yesterday from the wilderness (desert side). VERY nice buck.....a 24" wide 5x4 with decent tine length and exceptional mass. There's still some good ones in there from time to time.

tonytrim
11-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Anyone know if the holiday on Monday is still in season for deer?

Muleys 24/7
11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Anyone know if the holiday on Monday is still in season for deer?

This Sunday the 11th, is the last day for D14.

HuntWYODon
11-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Saw some fresh tracks today near Thomas grounds. Anyone know if Seven Oaks is off limits to hunt muleys? I'm still empty handed this year, but have a few more days left to push...
I killed 3 bucks in Thomas hunting grounds back in 1979 and early 80's. My first D14 buck was there. Was all D11 back then , On the south side of 10 frwy was D11 also. The San Jacinto mtn area. If it snowed, Thomas was good. Seven Oaks is legal as not on private like Muleys said.

tonytrim
11-08-2012, 06:10 AM
I killed 3 bucks in Thomas hunting grounds back in 1979 and early 80's. My first D14 buck was there. Was all D11 back then , On the south side of 10 frwy was D11 also. The San Jacinto mtn area. If it snowed, Thomas was good. Seven Oaks is legal as not on private like Muleys said.

Thanks for the reply. My brother just got his first 3x2 from d19 3 days ago and is picking up the goods today. We are on the way out today to make something happen for me.

BOHNTR
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's another buck shot in D-14 a week or so ago. A 6x7.

Arrowhead Hunter
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
hey ya'll. nice to see all the conversation about hunting area. there is a new map on shooting zones in d14 that is $9.99 at bass pro shops. seems very limited on where you can actually shot a rifle. not sure what group came up with those zones, and again, who regulates it... either way it just does not seem right. on a more positive note, i landed my first buck this year. 60 yard shot with my savage 308. he stumbled 20 yards and went down... im also sitting at home in lake arrowhead at approx 5300' and watching the weather transition. this low pressure system moving down the coast is surely going to have the deer out and bucks on the ground for closing weekend. deep canyons, oak trees, burn areas, and at or just above the projected snow line of 4000' for this storm is where i would go... just sayin haha
going to be hard to beat him as my first. cheers!!!

Muleys 24/7
11-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice buck! and for your first

HuntWYODon
11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Dam nice D14 buck !
With all the attention on D14 this year, it may sell out next year ! You guys... Lol !

antorres444
11-08-2012, 10:11 PM
i only have two rounds!

Arrowhead Hunter
11-08-2012, 10:15 PM
hey thanks huntwyodon, and muleys 24/7. i havnt payed much attention, but u two get ur d14 yet this year? this weekend has to be good .. were getting hammered with probably 30 mph sw wind gust for the last three plus hrs with rain. about 45 degrees. look forward to hearing and seeing some good things coming out of this weekend. wish i was gonna be out there... dam. did d14 not sell out this year. im pretty sure it sold out in 2010 and 2011. i heard once a zone sells out for three years in a row it goes to some kind of draw. any truth to that???

Muleys 24/7
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I've seen a few bucks but couldn't close the deal, one was a real nice one too. I sure hope it dosn't go to draw. My points will go to a zone that can have much better odds of produceing big deer.

HuntWYODon
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Arrowhead,
I didn't have a D14 tag this year. I'd be surprised if D14 sold out . I m pretty sure it won't ever become an X zone.

bigshot
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice buck arrowhead, congrats. That new no shooting zone map sux!!

bigshot
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Here's another buck shot in D-14 a week or so ago. A 6x7.

Hey BOHNTR,
That's a huge d14 buck!! Was it taken with a rifle or bow and what did it score.

BOHNTR
11-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Hey BOHNTR,
That's a huge d14 buck!! Was it taken with a rifle or bow and what did it score.

It's a rifle kill.........not sure on score, but I'd love to measure it.

bigshot
11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
My buddies took their kids out during the Thanksgiving Holiday week for their Junior Hunts in the San Bernardino Mtns and they all tagged out. The Junior hunt is an either sex hunt which is cool for the kids, so they have a better chance of bringing some meat home.

sjsmallfield
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I wish they had more hunts like that here in CA. Nothing better than a kid in a good grip n grin pic.

HuntWYODon
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Way to go bigshot ! You are knockin hell out of em this year !

Muleys 24/7
11-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Is there any more 4x4's left for next year? Lol. That's good to see kids taking some good bucks.

Muleys 24/7
11-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey Don, your grabbing a D-14 tag next year ......right!

bigshot
11-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Is there any more 4x4's left for next year? Lol. That's good to see kids taking some good bucks.

LOl, don't worry Muleys we usually take several 4x4's every year, they'll be more :) I also found a new area I did not get to hunt that was loaded with big buck tracks, can't wait till next year!!

bigshot
11-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Way to go bigshot ! You are knockin hell out of em this year !

Hey Don thanks, had a great time this year. The area we hunted was loaded with decent bucks, wish I had more time to hunt CA this past year. I'll have more time next year cause probably not gonna hunt Colorado, due to promising wifey I'll spend money to get our cabins kitchen and living room remodel done. So, will get two CA buck tags for sure and try and sneak to Wyoming for some lopers in September.

bigshot
11-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I wish they had more hunts like that here in CA. Nothing better than a kid in a good grip n grin pic.

Yea I agree, I also wish they had a local late season limited tag hunt for us older folks too... :)

HuntWYODon
11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Don, your grabbing a D-14 tag next year ......right!

Heck yeah ! Maybe two ! or a D16 and D14. Kickin around the thought of X9B and D14 though...:)

HuntWYODon
11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Yea I agree, I also wish they had a local late season limited tag hunt for us older folks too... :)

And the really old and handicapped like me !

HuntWYODon
11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey Don thanks, had a great time this year. The area we hunted was loaded with decent bucks, wish I had more time to hunt CA this past year. I'll have more time next year cause probably not gonna hunt Colorado, due to promising wifey I'll spend money to get our cabins kitchen and living room remodel done. So, will get two CA buck tags for sure and try and sneak to Wyoming for some lopers in September.
You should sneak to Wyoming in Nov. for deer and try to get an area 83 lope tag and some doe tags...:)

Muleys 24/7
11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Heck yeah ! Maybe two ! or a D16 and D14. Kickin around the thought of X9B and D14 though...:)

I have enough points for X9A in 2013 but I think I'm going to keep saveing them for a piticular G zone. In the mean time, look for a nice buck in D14 and 16, and maybe head off to D12

Muleys 24/7
11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
, can't wait till next year!!

I know me too! I did have a pretty good season this year.....2 bucks and 2 lopers, the frezzer is FULL!

HuntWYODon
11-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I know me too! I did have a pretty good season this year.....2 bucks and 2 lopers, the frezzer is FULL!

Getting a buck in D14 and D16 is quite an accomplishment !

grimsreapers
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
do any of you backpack and camp in the san bernardino national forrest during your hunt or just hunt for the day and walk back to the truck at dusk?

Trevor_20
04-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I am new to the deer hunting sport and live in Yucaipa, ca. and suggestions on where i should start scouting and what to look for?

Muleys 24/7
05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I am new to the deer hunting sport and live in Yucaipa, ca. and suggestions on where i should start scouting and what to look for?

There is deer all over D14, however with a very low success rate, they are tough to find. Pick an area and start scouting, maybe set a trail cam or two see what's in the area. You live really close to the forest, so it shouldn't be hard to get up there and scout. Good luck

Trevor_20
05-04-2013, 12:25 AM
There is deer all over D14, however with a very low success rate, they are tough to find. Pick an area and start scouting, maybe set a trail cam or two see what's in the area. You live really close to the forest, so it shouldn't be hard to get up there and scout. Good luck

no i have been up looking the last 2 days and am going again tomorra morning. what kind of landscape should i look for? (oak trees, aspen trees, pine, or sage brush?) or does it even matter i was looking up by dry lake but it looks like a pretty popular area for trail hikers and its quite the hike with the access road closed.

Muleys 24/7
05-04-2013, 06:22 PM
do any of you backpack and camp in the san bernardino national forrest during your hunt or just hunt for the day and walk back to the truck at dusk?

Depends on how I feel like hunting..... I've done both.

Muleys 24/7
05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
what kind of landscape should i look for? (oak trees, aspen trees, pine, or sage brush?) or does it even matter

Access road closed areas are always good because they will keep a lot of the lazy out, but if it's a high recreation area for hikers, it might not be a good spot. As far as what type of terrain, It depends where you would like to hunt. I've seen deer in real thick stuff as well as the more open country. It also depends on your style of hunting. If you have good optics and enjoy glassing, I would pick an area that is more open to glass. The most important thing about being successful in a zone like D14 is to keep at it and don't give up.

Trevor_20
05-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Access road closed areas are always good because they will keep a lot of the lazy out, but if it's a high recreation area for hikers, it might not be a good spot. As far as what type of terrain, It depends where you would like to hunt. I've seen deer in real thick stuff as well as the more open country. It also depends on your style of hunting. If you have good optics and enjoy glassing, I would pick an area that is more open to glass. The most important thing about being successful in a zone like D14 is to keep at it and don't give up.

i am a bow hunter so i cant take those 100 yard shot but id like to see them coming and not just appear for a few seconds and vanish.

bigshot
05-09-2013, 02:19 PM

We do both and have had success both ways. We also hunt quite a bit off our quads and see lots of deer that way too.

bigshot
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM

There is some real good deer hunting right out of Yucaipa, especially if you can get permission to trespass!! Learn where public land meets private and hunt the outer edges. I don't want to get too specific or some of my areas will get hit hard. In February of this year my buddy saw a Monster 3x3 with eye guards killed by a vehicle right off the 10 freeway in Yucaipa. Some people believe you have to hunt high. I take just as many bucks down low just out of town. I save the lower areas to hunt later in the season when it cools down. Good luck and let us know if you find some deer.

Find the tracks and you will find the deer!!

Trevor_20
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
There is some real good deer hunting right out of Yucaipa, especially if you can get permission to trespass!! Learn where public land meets private and hunt the outer edges. I don't want to get too specific or some of my areas will get hit hard. In February of this year my buddy saw a Monster 3x3 with eye guards killed by a vehicle right off the 10 freeway in Yucaipa. Some people believe you have to hunt high. I take just as many bucks down low just out of town. I save the lower areas to hunt later in the season when it cools down. Good luck and let us know if you find some deer.

Find the tracks and you will find the deer!!

wow never thought about that thanks big shot!

Trevor_20
05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
well after a week of my trail cam out in d14 i didnt get any pics of bucks but found some nice healthy deer5533

bigshot
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
There you go....good job, I don't think you'll have any problems finding a buck this year.

Trevor_20
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
thanks bigshot im going to be moving up to big bear in a month or so. this way i can be able to get out more and scout a little longer

Muleys 24/7
05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
didn't take you very long! I need to find some time to get up there to check mine.

Trevor_20
05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
didn't take you very long! I need to find some time to get up there to check mine.

no it took me 2 weeks. but have been doing alot of online work and long hikes. but im going to be scouting a new place this weekend and setting the camera up again ill post more pics if i get any. i still have like 3 other spots i need to set the camera up on but takes a while with only 1 camera.

hardstalk
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
thanks bigshot im going to be moving up to big bear in a month or so. this way i can be able to get out more and scout a little longer

I fish big bear several times a year. Love it up there. My dads buddy has a cabin on the north side of the lake. We troll with spoons in the beginning of june and slay the trout!

Trevor_20
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
more d14 deer

HuntWYODon
06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm glad to see this thread is still going !
Been gone awhile.

Muleys 24/7
06-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm glad to see this thread is still going !
Been gone awhile.

Maybe we can add a couple pics to it this year:)

Trevor_20
06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
hopefully hows everyones scouting going so far?

Muleys 24/7
06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
hopefully hows everyones scouting going so far?

My scouting is going ok, found some smaller bucks, but have my eye one that may have some potential. We will see as he grows. How about you ?

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 03:05 PM
My scouting is going ok, found some smaller bucks, but have my eye one that may have some potential. We will see as he grows. How about you ?

im doing really good so far but not sure how far along their antlers should be, i have like 5 bucks on camera but their all spikes and none are forking out yet so idk if thats normal for right now or not ill post the one im hoping for but ill zoom in so you can get a better look at him and tell me what you think.

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
idk about him this will be my first time deer hunting and id kwhere their growth should be yet

bigshot
06-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Not bad he might turn into a legal buck. Believe they will grow till end of August.

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Not bad he might turn into a legal buck. Believe they will grow till end of August.

do u have any pics of what a mature buck would look like this time of year?

bigshot
06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I just started placing my trail cams out for this season, when I get a photo of trophy buck I'll show it to you. Muleys 24/7 got a picture of a nice one couple weeks ago maybe he will share the photo and tell us what he named it...This is the only buck picture I got so far.

sjsmallfield
06-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Don't know about the area you are hunting but on Wednesday night we saw a group of five legal bucks. The smallest was a little 2x2 and the biggest was a 4x1. (yes I said a 4x1) It was freaky looking. I was really shocked to see how developed they were already. Seems a little early to me.

bigshot
06-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow, was that up in northern cali?

sjsmallfield
06-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow, was that up in northern cali?

Yes sir. Northern CA. I wish I could have taken a pic but they were just off the highway and my camera and phone were in my fishing vest in the tool box.

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 07:44 PM
wow that would be cool to see!!!

bigshot
06-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Yea, I believe our bucks are a little behind in the growing stage.

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
yea i have like 4 bucks in this one area but the one i posted is the biggest but not sure if their just small or if that that was avarage size for this zone and this time of year

Muleys 24/7
06-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Bigshot and Trevor, Here's a couple zoomed in pic's of the biggest buck I have so far. These were shot a few weeks ago, I'm hoping he will turn into a nice 3x3 or 4x4.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/b1_zps1097fd97.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/b1_zps1097fd97.jpg.html)

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/b2_zpsddc4a103.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/b2_zpsddc4a103.jpg.html)

Muleys 24/7
06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=bigshot;55172] maybe he will share the photo and tell us what he named it...[QUOTE]

I think I need another pic before I can name him. I have one in mind but need to confirm a characteristic first.

Trevor_20
06-14-2013, 08:07 PM
dang..... for a second i was hoping i was gonna have a nice buck comparing him to the much smaller other ones i have but this buck blows mine out of the water! nice looking buck you got there

Muleys 24/7
06-14-2013, 08:13 PM
dang..... for a second i was hoping i was gonna have a nice buck comparing him to the much smaller other ones i have but this buck blows mine out of the water! nice looking buck you got there

Thanks, I've been setting cams for 3 years now, Let me tell you, in that zone it's pretty tough to find bucks of that caliber. But with ALOT of scouting it can be done. Good luck
Oh ya , most will say any buck in D14 is a nice buck. A lot of people can't even find what you have pic's of.

Muleys 24/7
06-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey Bigshot,today Don and I seen the buck you got a pic of, he's a little taller now.

bigshot
06-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey Bigshot,today Don and I seen the buck you got a pic of, he's a little taller now.
sweet was he in the same area.

HuntWYODon
06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Didn't you tell bigshot about the one bigger than him... ? :)

HuntWYODon
06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
We sure hope so !

Muleys 24/7
06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Didn't you tell bigshot about the one bigger than him... ? :)

Do you mean the one that will score 300 this year, with a rack the size of a elk! LOL

HuntWYODon
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Do you mean the one that will score 300 this year, with a rack the size of a elk! LOL

Not metric, in inches. about 180.

Trevor_20
06-28-2013, 02:04 AM
that spike is getting bigger. i named him scoop due to the inside of his right antler has a scoop in it

bigshot
06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Cool picture he has grown, I got a picture of a decent buck last week, but when I try to put it on here it says the image is too large. Anyone know how to make it smaller, so it fits on here.

Muleys 24/7
06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Cool picture he has grown, I got a picture of a decent buck last week, but when I try to put it on here it says the image is too large. Anyone know how to make it smaller, so it fits on here.
I can do it for you, just email it to me.

Muleys 24/7
06-28-2013, 07:58 PM
that spike is getting bigger. i named him scoop due to the inside of his right antler has a scoop in it

Cool pic, he looks like a very young deer, I don't think he will fork on both sides this year. Maybe on one side. But hopefully he dose so you can get him. I'll post some pics of a little buck I watched grow last year.

Muleys 24/7
06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
This first pic was taken June 5th,last year
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/d1buck_zpsc8ee4f79.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/d1buck_zpsc8ee4f79.jpg.html)

This was in Oct during season
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/dbuck_zpse2d984db.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/dbuck_zpse2d984db.jpg.html)

bigshot
07-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Checked my trail cams today and got a picture of this buck....

Trevor_20
07-04-2013, 04:17 AM
nice buck bigshot! i got my cam on friday and got this weird buck with one antler i thought it was quite a trip 5989

bigshot
07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Cool picture! a unicorn.

Muleys 24/7
07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
nice buck bigshot! i got my cam on friday and got this weird buck with one antler i thought it was quite a trip 5989

Is it just me?......if you look close he has 2. The other smaller spike is lined up with the ear.

Trevor_20
07-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Is it just me?......if you look close he has 2. The other smaller spike is lined up with the ear.

idk muley when i zoomed in on the comp it get too pixley to know but it was weird i have the camera in a 3 shot burst and this was the first pic and the other 2 have his head out of frame. but if it does than this is just a perfect angle to hide the other.

HuntWYODon
07-04-2013, 04:46 PM
He's going to be a nice buck bigshot.
Good sized body too !

Colorado Cowboy
07-04-2013, 05:23 PM
idk muley when i zoomed in on the comp it get too pixley to know but it was weird i have the camera in a 3 shot burst and this was the first pic and the other 2 have his head out of frame. but if it does than this is just a perfect angle to hide the other.

Thats what I thought too when I looked at it.

Muleys 24/7
07-04-2013, 07:13 PM

I know what you mean, I seen other pics like that too, sometimes its hard to tell with wrong angles.

Trevor_20
07-05-2013, 12:51 AM
I know what you mean, I seen other pics like that too, sometimes its hard to tell with wrong angles.

yea when i saw it i was like wtf...... i have some bad jeans up here for a spike to only have one antler

HuntWYODon
07-05-2013, 01:05 PM

I can only see a right side spike ????

Muleys 24/7
07-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Ok, maybe I'm crazy, look at the left ear at the very tip doesn't it look like a rounded velvet spike. Trevor, you need to get another picture of this unicorn buck to make sure! LOL

Muleys 24/7
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Will you hurry up and get off work so we can leave!!! LOL!

HuntWYODon
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Ok, maybe I'm crazy, look at the left ear at the very tip doesn't it look like a rounded velvet spike. Trevor, you need to get another picture of this unicorn buck to make sure! LOL
I'll check it out again. Aren't you supposed to be getting your gear together ? I'll leave room for your quad in truck bed.

HuntWYODon
07-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Will you hurry up and get off work so we can leave!!! LOL!

I will I will ! Get off me ! LOL ! Looks like a unicorn to me.
I'll take off work by 2pm at latest if no service comes in. None so far. Better than 4-5pm !

Muleys 24/7
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I'll check it out again. Aren't you supposed to be getting your gear together ? I'll leave room for your quad in truck bed. I stay ready, so I don't have to get ready! LOL

Muleys 24/7
07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Better than 4-5pm !

I agree.:cool:

HuntWYODon
07-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I stay ready, so I don't have to get ready! LOL
OK Tripod....
This thead is 21 pages now !

Muleys 24/7
07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey Trevor, if that buck turns into a 3 point with one horn, your golden!

30/06Gary
07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. Saw some great pics on this thread, thought I'd chime in. Here's my D-14 buck from last year.

Trevor_20
07-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Hey Trevor, if that buck turns into a 3 point with one horn, your golden!

shoot if he comes back and only has one spike im gonna leave him alone and see what happens in the next few years so if anyone sees him during season and he turns legal leave him alone i call dibs lol but my transmission went out yesterday so my truck will be in the shop for the next 2 weeks getting a new one put in. so im freaking out cause i want to go get my camera already. it going from once a week to gonna be 2 more weeks till i see it so a total of 3 weeks. :(

30/06Gary
07-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Just be patient Trevor. I leave mine up for like 3-4 weeks at a time. Just more time to try and capture that big boy!

Trevor_20
07-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Just be patient Trevor. I leave mine up for like 3-4 weeks at a time. Just more time to try and capture that big boy!

yea but that is also my training and getting use to hiking the mountains in this hear cause come first weekend of september its gonna be hot hot hot

Trevor_20
07-06-2013, 02:13 AM

and its nice to see you come to this site from jesses lol

30/06Gary
07-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Lol yeah I just stumbled across this site yesterday. And hiking is good training! I gotta get my legs ship-shape for elk in October. Been doing a little hiking, going back up to D-14 Monday to set my trail cam. Also gonna drive to some new areas and hike and scout.

bigshot
07-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. Saw some great pics on this thread, thought I'd chime in. Here's my D-14 buck from last year.

Nice Buck Gary welcome aboard.

30/06Gary
07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Nice Buck Gary welcome aboard.

Thank you sir, my first buck. Stoked. Hoping to get lucky in A-31 this year.

Muleys 24/7
07-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Welcome aboard Gary!

30/06Gary
07-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Welcome aboard Gary!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

HuntWYODon
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Nice buck Gary !
Welcome ! Was he munching on acorns ? :)

Muleys 24/7
07-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Here's a couple recent pic's that Bigshot got in D14! They are getting bigger,Nice Bucks buddy.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/trophy4x4D14_zps7ccfe58e.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/trophy4x4D14_zps7ccfe58e.jpg.html)

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/forkD14_zps722fa2d9.jpg (http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/JKjeepin24/media/forkD14_zps722fa2d9.jpg.html)

HuntWYODon
07-13-2013, 10:32 AM
That's going to be a heck of a nice 4x4 for D14 Nick/Muleys ! You guys are going to make D14 a premium zone ! Lol !

Muleys 24/7
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM
You guys are going to make D14 a premium zone ! Lol ! It's only a matter of time before every zone becomes a draw, look at D16 now, to me that is not a point worthy zone.

bigshot
07-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Hey guys we need to name that 4x4... any suggestions?

HuntWYODon
07-14-2013, 03:44 PM
How about So Cal Stud ?

Trevor_20
07-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey guys we need to name that 4x4... any suggestions?

how about "tiny" or " Macgyver" lol

Muleys 24/7
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I was going to say tiny too, but I already named one that in the past. Maybe "little backs" because of the small backs, or "H20" because he needs a drink of water:cool:

bigshot
07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Those are good names, I like the idea of refering to his "small backs," because we can easily identify him that way, so thinking about calling him "Baby backs" what do you guys think. Kinda makes me hungry when I say that...lol

Trevor_20
07-15-2013, 12:22 AM
lol when i hear baby back i think of fat bastard from austin powers movie singing it to mini me lol " GET IN MY BELLY!!!" hahahahaha so maybe that is a good idea that way when you shoot him you can yell that at him lol hahahaha

Trevor_20
07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
or double D cause of the big rack on the small back lol

HuntWYODon
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
It's only a matter of time before every zone becomes a draw, look at D16 now, to me that is not a point worthy zone.
I totally agree. I still can't see why D16 got so popular.

HuntWYODon
07-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Those are good names, I like the idea of refering to his "small backs," because we can easily identify him that way, so thinking about calling him "Baby backs" what do you guys think. Kinda makes me hungry when I say that...lol
Hey bighot,
I bet his backs come out looking good. They are the last to grow. He's going to be a nice buck !

bigshot
07-16-2013, 12:19 AM
So "Baby backs" it is, hopefully one of us on this site will get him this year and post his picture.

Trevor_20
07-16-2013, 12:28 AM
So "Baby backs" it is, hopefully one of us on this site will get him this year and post his picture.

yea hopefully are you going to try and get him in the velvet?

bigshot
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
yea hopefully are you going to try and get him in the velvet?
Yea I plan to hunt during the archery season and into the rifle season. I just purchased my second D-14 tag today, so I'm good to go!!.

Trevor_20
07-17-2013, 12:06 AM
nice! well u know he is kinda on the small side and all if u want i can take him off your hands for you so you can worry about those big boys up there lol

Trevor_20
07-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Trevor_20
07-22-2013, 07:13 PM
cant forget about this guy

Muleys 24/7
07-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Cool, is that scoop?... he did fork out, that's awesome bro, hope you can seal the deal.

bigshot
07-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Good job bro, them deer are looking good! Is that a picture of a bobcat?

Trevor_20
07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Cool, is that scoop?... he did fork out, that's awesome bro, hope you can seal the deal.

it sure is im stoked right now i cant stop looking at him thinking he still has about another month to grow

Trevor_20
07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Good job bro, them deer are looking good! Is that a picture of a bobcat?

no it a bear

bigshot
07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
ok, I see it now, wasn't sure what it was just knew it
had a short tail...lol

Trevor_20
07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
yea idk how big it is i thought it looked big to me but ive never seen a bear before in this area but my uncle said it looks pretty small

HuntWYODon
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
yea idk how big it is i thought it looked big to me but ive never seen a bear before in this area but my uncle said it looks pretty small
Nah...Reckon any bear be a good bear. Yah'll ought not worra, I bet nother bigga bear fixin ta come along anytime now. :)

30/06Gary
09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
This D-14 thread just keeps getting better. Loving all the buck pics!!! Here are the shooters I have identified for my brother in law's junior tag since I'm doing A-31:
He's gonna shoot the first legal deer we see, I'm hoping its one of these guys!

bigshot
09-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey 30-06Gary, looks like he has a decent amount of bucks to choose from....should not be a problem for his Junior hunt. The hard part is waiting till Novemeber!! Seems soooo far away.

30/06Gary
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Hey 30-06Gary, looks like he has a decent amount of bucks to choose from....should not be a problem for his Junior hunt. The hard part is waiting till Novemeber!! Seems soooo far away.

Yup. I finally set my trail cam up in my A-31 spot. A bit late but better than not at all. Hopefully I can find him a buck but a doe will do as well. At least I got a couple bucks in my pocket for next year! Look forward to seeing your success pics!

BOHNTR
09-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Here's a buck my buddy's friend took in D-14......not too shabby, IMO.

Muleys 24/7
09-19-2013, 08:12 AM
That's a great buck! Congrats to him. Did you score it?