PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle LR 1000

Ikeepitcold
08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I called Gunwerks and got my name in at the factory to build me a LR 1000 with the Nightforce scope and muzzle brake.
This gun is very expensive but Ive wanted one for a long time and decided to let a few guns collecting dust in the safe go to come up with the cash. The long range hunting discussion has been a very controversial subject on the forum in the past and I'm not looking that type of discussion on this post but I would like input on the gun itself.

What can really make the value of this gun so high? Is it because it's not really a massed produced?

I know the scope alone is $2k+ but I want the package deal, but if you take the cost of the scope out of the deal I think the cost of the gun alone isn't all that bad for what I'm getting.

I know there are other guns out there including my current rifles I hunt with now that I am comfortable shooting long range that I have that cost half as much but I want to consolidate and I think this is the rifle for me.

Any thoughts on the production of this gun and it's components?

Thanx

xtreme
08-05-2012, 09:22 AM
My friend here in Arkansas has gone to the Night Force scope and tells me it is the way to go. All my scopes use reticles for different ranges but I have a 600yd limit. I have thought about going to 700 but it would take a lot of work.
The high cost of your package is because it is a package, IMO. I don't really know that your new gun will out shoot production guns by much at the bench, however it gives you a lot of knowns. The ballistics provided to you that goes with your package gives you a big advantage and a boost in confidence. There are lots of holes in my shooting system that you won't have. I am okay at 100yd multiples but the in between are only educated guesses.
Bottom line I think you did the right thing. We only need one or maybe two guns in the first place, I have toomany and like them all. I am beginning to come full circle and just use one gun and one bullet, same load every time. Practice is expensive but a sure shot is rewarding. Happy Shooting

BobT
08-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Congrats on the new rifle!

I really don't think that it is a bad price and it could be a great price depending on exactly who makes the components. If you subtract the scope at 2K then you are looking at a bit less than $2500. I suspect the action is made by Defiance but in any case it is a $1000 dollar + item, the barrel will ring in at 3-4 hundred, add 5-6 bills for the Micky stock and another 1-2 for rings and bases. That adds up quick, I'm sure they get volume discounts from the vendors but when you toss in load development and a hard case I think the price is in line.

I really would like to have one myself. What caliber did you get?

Bob

Ikeepitcold
08-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Congrats on the new rifle!

I really don't think that it is a bad price and it could be a great price depending on exactly who makes the components. If you subtract the scope at 2K then you are looking at a bit less than $2500. I suspect the action is made by Defiance but in any case it is a $1000 dollar + item, the barrel will ring in at 3-4 hundred, add 5-6 bills for the Micky stock and another 1-2 for rings and bases. That adds up

quick, I'm sure they get volume discounts from the vendors but when you toss in load development and a hard case I think the price is in line.

I really would like to have one myself. What caliber did you get?

Bob

I got the 7mm LRM

They do include the reloading recipe or I can buy boxes from them at $60 per box. Also if you go the their web site the cost at the bottom of the LR 1000 is the base cost unit. If it was that cost I would have had one along time ago. This one is $7k!

xtreme
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Thank goodness, I didn't have the nerve to ask what caliber. I think you have it all right. I shoot the 168 berger loaded by HSM. They loaded it for snipers. Mine go 3027fps. Your gun will move them a little faster. They cost a little less than $50. most places.

Ikeepitcold
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Thank goodness, I didn't have the nerve to ask what caliber. I think you have it all right. I shoot the 168 berger loaded by HSM. They loaded it for snipers. Mine go 3027fps. Your gun will move them a little faster. They cost a little less than $50. most places.

I think it is their version of the 7mm STW.

BobT
08-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I got the 7mm LRM

Interesting, I started out playing with a 7MM Remington magnum, not quite what I was looking for, then I went to the 7mm RUM, too much of a good thing. The current project is a 7MM Mashburn Super, I think we are in the same ballistic ballpark, the STW will do it too but the Mashburn is cheaper to feed. That price isn't out of line with what the other LR builders are charging. Hope you love it! I was shooting steel yesterday at 580, a year ago I would have been a skeptic, now it's like what I imagine a drug addict must feel when they need a "fix" :)

Bob

Whisky
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
The action appears to be a Stiller....People either love em or hate em. My brother has a rifle in the works with a Stiller Preadator SA. Curious to see what he thinks.

Personally, if I"m going to spend that kind of coin I'm going to pick my own components and pick my own gunsmith. But I'd never spend that kind of coin. 7k for a rifle and scope combo is crazy!!!

Whisky
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Heck, with a $3500 Schmidt and Bender (which I don't own) on top of a couple of my customs that still only brings me to $5500-5700 for the combo....

Dude your paying too much for a name here I think. Start pricing out components and gunsmithing costs and see what you come up with.

bigshot
08-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Congrats on a great purchase. let us know how she shoots.

Elkoholic307
08-29-2012, 07:36 AM
What can really make the value of this gun so high? Is it because it's not really a massed produced?

Their price mark isn't just the gun and scope. It includes other services as well. Scope mounting, barrel break-in, shooting data, cutting multiple turrets, etc. Even though those things are simple, they still charge a pretty penny for them and it all adds up quickly. For example, it costs about twice as much to cut a NF turret than say a Leupold. The price would be much more appealing if you did all those things yourself, (minus the turret) but I don't think you get that option. It may be too late but I could refer you to a gunsmith who can do the same thing (if not better) and for less money.

4granit
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Their price mark isn't just the gun and scope. It includes other services as well. Scope mounting, barrel break-in, shooting data, cutting multiple turrets, etc. Even though those things are simple, they still charge a pretty penny for them and it all adds up quickly. For example, it costs about twice as much to cut a NF turret than say a Leupold. The price would be much more appealing if you did all those things yourself, (minus the turret) but I don't think you get that option. It may be too late but I could refer you to a gunsmith who can do the same thing (if not better) and for less money.

I know this is an older thread, but I just stumbled onto it. The Gunwerks company is one of the best companies I have ever delt with. I ordered a LR-1000 last January and took delivery in September of this year. I made several changes during the process, added a titanium action, carbon fiber barrel, tan stock instead of the dark grey. Everytime I called, I spoke with eithe mike or Aaron. They were always helpful and didn't try to talk me into something I didn't want etc. We also emailed back and forth probably a hundred times about the gun and hunts etc....(my constant checking on when it'd be finished!!).

I have shot semi long range in the past and load my own ammo....but this gun has way outperformed all my other rifles. The trigger is absolutely amazing....the fit and finish is beyond compare. Although I havent yet target shot past 600 yards with it yet...(500 yards a lot though) I've hit dead on every little rock out to 900 yards with relative ease. I also purchased the G7-BR2 rangefinder. This thing is also amazing....I've shot 45 degree angles 6000 ft to 500 ft elevation...it adjusts to all almost instantly giving the range and then a "shoot to" range after compensating for all the environmental factors etc.

This gun is worth every penny....don't listen to a bunch of guys on the Internet saying "I can build the same gun for x amount of dollars etc....with all the time at the range...manufacturing....and employee costs...there probably isn't a huge profit left in the end.....and even if there was, I believe they've earned it...with a gun you'd be proud to own for a lifetime

Any questions....shoot me an email....

Chico, ca.

Edelweiss
11-09-2012, 03:11 AM
I pride myself on being a decent shot, and I shoot a 2500-3500 rounds a year at extended distances. Mostly shooting F-Class and varmint hunting.

I am also a military armorer and and have been building guns as a hobby under the tutilidge of one of the best F-Class and Fullbore (national match) gunsmiths in Australia for a couple of years.

I don't know everything, but my take on these folks like John Burns and Gunwerks is this.

If you know what you are doing you can build a better rifle for less money.

If you are short on time, or knowledge you can pay these guys to build you a system and kill game at long distance with it...... most of the time.

These systems will never take the place of practice. Learning the wind, learning when not to shoot and go home, and understanding supersonic to transonic flight transitions at long range.......IE practice.

Nor will they ever be as good as a fully adjustable stock (length, comb height, pad position, grip position, trigger position) rifle built for an individual to his sizes and adjustability.

Something I have never heard any of these guys talk about is eye relief. Bad eye relief can mean 30 inches at 1000 yards.

I will say this, they are hellacious salesmen.

As for carbon fiber, well lets put it this way. No one has ever one a 1000 yard bench rest, F-Class match, 300 meter CISM, or military sniper rifle match with a carbon fiber barrel. If they were better, top competitors would use them.

Some guys might have them on rifles that win small matches, but even in 300 CISM and Benchrest where the ranges are under 600 yards, people don't use them. If they were better they would. We are talking about groups of .010 not making a steel gong chirp.

Whisky
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
If you know what you are doing you can build a better rifle for less money.

If you are short on time, or knowledge you can pay these guys to build you a system and kill game at long distance with it...... most of the time.

These systems will never take the place of practice. Learning the wind, learning when not to shoot and go home, and understanding supersonic to transonic flight transitions at long range.......IE practice.

Nor will they ever be as good as a fully adjustable stock (length, comb height, pad position, grip position, trigger position) rifle built for an individual to his sizes and adjustability.

I will say this, they are hellacious salesmen.

Bingo!!!!!

Edelweiss
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I just noticed I wrote one instead of won. That's what I get for spending 5 hours speaking German at the Swiss Embassy last night.

brng525
11-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I have just started shooting a 7mm LRM and have been fairly pleased with the way it shoots, at least at the bench. the ammo is a bit spendy but you can get brass and load for yourself to save a little money. Its not smoking but it shoots a 180 grain Berger at 2098 and shoots into a half inch group at 100 yards all day long. I have not had a chance to ring it out at anything longer than 300 yards but plan to next week. I will get back on this post with my results.

Kentucky hunter
11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
I called Gunwerks and got my name in at the factory to build me a LR 1000 with the Nightforce scope and muzzle brake.
This gun is very expensive but Ive wanted one for a long time and decided to let a few guns collecting dust in the safe go to come up with the cash. The long range hunting discussion has been a very controversial subject on the forum in the past and I'm not looking that type of discussion on this post but I would like input on the gun itself.

I know the scope alone is $2k+ but I want the package deal, but if you take the cost of the scope out of the deal I think the cost of the gun alone isn't all that bad for what I'm getting.

I know there are other guns out there including my current rifles I hunt with now that I am comfortable shooting long range that I have that cost half as much but I want to consolidate and I think this is the rifle for me.

Any thoughts on the production of this gun and it's components?

Thanx

I done some custom work on my 700 bdl 300 rum an put the 5-20x50 huskemaw on it an its great the LR 1000 is bad ass

Ikeepitcold
11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I don't want this to turn into a long range debate. I'm only asking about the gun quality itself. Thanks again

WapitiBob
11-20-2013, 03:28 AM
It'll be a shooter

shootbrownelk
11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
I got the 7mm LRM

They do include the reloading recipe or I can buy boxes from them at $60 per box. Also if you go the their web site the cost at the bottom of the LR 1000 is the base cost unit. If it was that cost I would have had one along time ago. This one is $7k!

GULP.....7 thousand dollars?? Did I read that right? WOW! I had no idea they cost that kind of money. I enjoy watching Best of the West, but I "Assumed" the rifles ran around $3,000 to $3,500. I just got educated.

Colorado Cowboy
11-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I am not stirring the pot, 7K is way outta my league and I'm sure that is the case for 99% of us. Go to the Safari Club Convention, probably a lot of them can afford one (or maybe 2 or 3!). The thing is that I really don't think it shoots any better than my custom commercial Mauser, Shilen match SS barrel, Bell & Carlson stock and Leupold VXIII 4 x 10 in .300 Wby with my handloads! I could buy 2 of mine and have a lot left over for reloading components or a down payment on a trophy outfitted hunt. I can (and have) shot moa out to 700 yards and I'm sure it will do the same at 1000. It takes a lot of work and tuning (especially in the load receipe) to get results like I get. I have spent lots of hours at the range practicing and getting the right load.

Ikeepitcold
11-20-2013, 08:53 AM
GULP.....7 thousand dollars?? Did I read that right? WOW! I had no idea they cost that kind of money. I enjoy watching Best of the West, but I "Assumed" the rifles ran around $3,000 to $3,500. I just got educated.

They do without the scope and extra add ons.

In God We Trust
11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Did you get it yet? If so does it meet your expectations? People can say they would or wouldn't buy from these guys. I think the show and popularity may have raised the price a bit. That being said I have always wanted to buy a rig like this and I think it is bad ass that you went out on a limb and bought one. Congrats on an awesome purchase!

Elkoholic307
11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
This gun is worth every penny....don't listen to a bunch of guys on the Internet saying "I can build the same gun for x amount of dollars etc....with all the time at the range...manufacturing....and employee costs...there probably isn't a huge profit left in the end.....and even if there was, I believe they've earned it...with a gun you'd be proud to own for a lifetime

I never said that. But, I did say this: "It may be too late but I could refer you to a gunsmith who can do the same thing (if not better) and for less money." Looks like it's too late though...

Ikeepitcold
11-20-2013, 01:40 PM
I chose to back out. The cost is a lot and I have custom rifles already that perform good enough for me. I just couldn't justify the cost of a few guided hunts.

brng525
11-20-2013, 02:06 PM
While I would agree that 7k is alot of money for a shooting system, the gunwerks rifle is literally a shooting machine. Its guaranteed to shoot 1000 yards right out of the box and I have experienced it first hand! Now granted you can build a nice custom gun for less but by the time you go to the range and spend weeks or months working up load data and getting just the right load for your new gun you have spent a ton, at least I know for me time is money! Then add on a scope that is worthy of shooting at those types of distances and you may save a grand but as I said before time is money to an old working stiff like me. I am sure you made the right decision for youself but the Gunwerks LR1000 is quite a piece of art and shoots like a dream!

Ikeepitcold
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I so agree. If I had the extra scratch I would own it for sure.