PDA

View Full Version : Everyone be careful with broadheads. My story below

velvetfvr
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Well I was recently bowhunting this past weekend and week for pronghorn here in NV. Well after a busted stalk with me and my brother we started walking back to the truck. It was probably a minute or 2 after the blown stalk and All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain. I knew immediately he got me with his BH. He left the arrow nocked on the bow and didn't realize he was too close to me. So when he took a step forward the broadhead went about a inch into my calf and cutting part of my muscle. So we got the blood flow tied off by tying a tourniquet. Another lesson learned is when you have no service you have NO service. You can't call 911. So we finally got signal and a ambulance was headed to meet us. I did end up with 7 stitches and almost a ruined hunt. I almost sealed the deal on a goat but he wouldn't give me a shot. So I am posting my story to warn everyone to be careful and to watch where your arrow is because it can definitely be alot worse. Pics are below.
http://img.tapatalk.com/63701ad5-17f7-00d8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/63701ad5-17ff-b183.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/63701ad5-1808-97e8.jpg

jenbickel
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Ouch!! Glad it wasnt any worse than it was though! I never walk with my arrow nocked and a broadhead... I'm way too clumsy! :)

Kevin Root
08-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Ouch velvetfvr. I hope you will heal quickly.

Fink
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh man, that's rough. I'm glad you're okay, and that things didn't turn out worse than they could have...

Years ago my cousin kneeled down onto one of the blades on a 4 blade muzzy, straight through the knee cap.. It ruined several weekends of bow season for him..

BKC
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Oooooooouch !!!!!!!! I'm glad your OK. Heal fast, it is still early. You have plenty more hunts left this year.

cheesehead
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I had something similar happen to me while bow hunting caribou in AK. The front half of my arrow had come lose from my quiver and while making a stalk I failed to realize that. When I took a step forward I put a magnus buzzcut in my thigh all the way down to my femur. Luckily we had enough first aid stuff along to stop the bleeding and I got ten stitches at an oil field med station later that day. I was seriously lucky, I few inches to the right and I would have cut my femoral and bled out on the spot. I few inches higher and I'd be singing soprano.

Needless to say that quiver went in the garbage and I am a lot more alert on where my blades are at all times.

ivorytip
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Good post!!

sjsmallfield
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Just makes you think what one little mistake can do to a hunt. Glad to see you are okay and I hope everyone else has a safe and successful season.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Yikes!

Glad yer OK, partner.

Check this out:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

It is a lot easier controlling bleeding when you can wait in one spot for help.

dihardhunter
08-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow! Glad you are o.k. I'd find me another hunting partner...jk. Bet your brother feels terrible...

hoshour
08-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I've considered taking along one of those packs that stop bleeding like the Israeli Battle Dressing or Quickclot, especially during rifle season. The IBD is $5 on Amazon. Read the reviews.

Aside from an incident with a knife or broadhead or deer hoove or even a sharp rock, you could end up within range of someone like Dick Cheney and not be near a vehicle. :)

Jerry
08-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Even if you don't draw blood, it can cause other issues! My brother cut his own bow string when he was trying to put his arrow back into his bow mounted quiver! Not serious but can sure ruin a hunt!

trkytrack2
08-07-2012, 08:02 AM
If it happened to me two things would occur when I healed up; #1--my brother would be in for a good a**kicking for being a stupid idiot; #2--I would differently end all hunting relationships with him, until he took and passed a bowhunting education course. Glad your ok.

RUTTIN
08-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Glad to hear your OK velvetfvr. One other tip about broadheads for you all, please use a broadhead wrench when working with your broadheads. I had a friend putting on broadheads the night before the hunt, he didn't use a wrench and ended up cutting his thumb really bad. He couldn't draw his bow for a few weeks, so be careful with them blades, they are meant to kill.

Fink
08-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear your OK velvetfvr. One other tip about broadheads for you all, please use a broadhead wrench when working with your broadheads. I had a friend putting on broadheads the night before the hunt, he didn't use a wrench and ended up cutting his thumb really bad. He couldn't draw his bow for a few weeks, so be careful with them blades, they are meant to kill.

True statement.. Everytime I'm putting on a broadhead, without a wrench, I'm thinking to myself "You are gonna be so pissed when you cut your finger off."

Doe Nob
08-07-2012, 09:08 AM

I second this. I have a triangular scar on my left thumb where i sunk a muzzy blade down to the bone while getting ready for a hunt. ALWAYS USE A BROADHEAD WRENCH!

wolftalonID
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Bowhunting safety 101. Dont walk with a nocked arrow behind someone. If your nocked up stalking be in the lead.
Good luck and think safety 1st!

wapiti66
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Glad you're ok, could have definately been worse. They are sharp enough to pass through a bull elk, I always try to keep that in mind to keep myself from getting careless. Hate to have a hunt ruined b/c you get excited and careless, it happens though. Also if you do get cut, have something (triple antibiotic) to clean the wound. I was mtn. biking in Co a few years back, wrecked and scraped my knee real good. That didn't slow me down for that trip, but about 2-3 wks later I got a staph infection in that knee, and that put me down awhile.

velvetfvr
08-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Good news! Going to chase the goats again Friday and Saturday. Leave Thursday and hopefully I can putdown a speed joker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Root
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Good news! Going to chase the goats again Friday and Saturday. Leave Thursday and hopefully I can putdown a speed joker!

Good to hear velvetfvr. Sounds like your back in action, healed up and ready for action. Have a great, safe and successful hunt.

nvarcher
08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Good luck man! And watch out for those broadheads, they're sharp! Lol

velvetfvr
08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Good luck man! And watch out for those broadheads, they're sharp! Lol

My brother isn't going as he likes hot August nights better than chasing goats.

nvarcher
08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh man! I wouldn't be choosing that over goats!

velvetfvr
08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh man! I wouldn't be choosing that over goats!

Well he like that and dirtbikes better. We have a 1952 Chevy pickup, model a, 53 Willys jeep. That is what he and my dad do. I just hunt anything and everything that is legal.

nvarcher
08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Oh so he's not really big into hunting?

velvetfvr
08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh so he's not really big into hunting?

Not big into it. Maybe if he gets his first deer with a rifle he might get more into it. His motto now is the more money it spends on gas and burns rubber the better!