PDA

View Full Version : Another muzzleloader question

Brady
08-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Do you guys discharge your muzzleloaders at night and start with a new load every morning when hunting the back country? Does the weather have anything to do with your decision?

Thanks for your help.
Brady

BKC
08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
New powder, new bullet and primer every morning, under any weather conditions. I don't shoot it because I dont want to have to worry if there is any fouling in the barrel or breech plug. After I dump every thing at night I pull a dry patch thru it and visually check breech plug. I pull another dry patch in the morning and load it up. Some guns shoot better with a fouled barrel but when I sight mine in I like to know where my shot is with a clean barrel because that is what I hunt with.

Old Hunter
08-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Depends on the gun and load.

If i'm shooting a sidelock with real black powder. Absolutely a new load everyday.

If i'm hunting with an inline with BH 209 powder. No, I don't unload it. BH 209 is basically a smokeless powder, and it doesn't absorb any moisture.

jay
08-10-2012, 08:44 AM
I leave mine loaded unless there is alot of moisture...

Maineboy
08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I have been wondering the same thing but that's a lot of powder and bullets to carry when in the back country for 9 days. So I thought I would just push things out the breach and start over if I got a good rain and keep good preventative maintenance. I also heard using a patch with rubbing alcohol to dry the barrel.

Old Hunter
08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Tape the muzzle so no moisture can get in. Leave a shot primer in when you aren't hunting.

Don't forget to change to a live primer when you go hunting. :)

Maineboy
08-12-2012, 07:05 AM
I like it, sounds like a solid plan.