PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist

Ikeepitcold
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
A recent thread made me think about this kind of lifestyle.

What is your opinion on what a minimalist is?

I ask because I'm curious about the folks that take on this kind of serious challenge. It's not for me. I will admit that I've only read a few articals about this subject so I'm looking for some education.

Thanx for your input.

Kevin Root
08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
My take on it is along the lines of Ultralight Backpacking. Getting your pack weight down but so much to compromise your safety or ones level of comfort that they want to have on their adventure. Below is a write up I've found on the REI site on it. From Lightweight to Ultralight to some Minimalist options or ideas.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ultralight-backpacking.html

ivorytip
08-22-2012, 05:53 PM
good read. i remember going on overnighters when i was younger and having a pack be twice if not 3 times heavier then my 3-5 day adventures. thank god for titanium. some guys take it way past the limits of safety though.

Ikeepitcold
08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree. Some of these guys are way over the top for me but if it's what they want to do them have at it.

sjsmallfield
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
It's funny here at the shop. I have met some people that tell me what they are taking on some of there backpack trips(or lack there of) and I always wounder if I am going to see them in the shop ever again. Sacraficing comfort is one thing but taking it past the point of safety is just plain stupid.