PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Mountain House meals?

graybird
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Well, the title pretty much says it all. What are your favorite Mountain House meals when in the back country?

Ikeepitcold
08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Spaghetti, stroganoff, lasagna

labman
08-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Lasagna, Spaghetti

Fink
08-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Lasagna and beef stew are my favorites, going to try the chicken fajita here in about 2 weeks, I hope its good.

Kevin Root
08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I've yet to try any that I don't like but the below are my favorites. Ok now I'm hungry :).

Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Beef Teriyaki with Rice
Chicken Teriyaki with Rice
Beef Stew
Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice
Beef Stroganoff with Rice

Brocka
08-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Mac & Cheese!

nvarcher
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Chicken teriyaki and breakfast skillet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdub24
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Beef Stroganoff
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Eggs with Ham or Bacon

HuntWYODon
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Same as Ikeepitcold but in reverse order.

ID_MW
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
The Breakfast skillet is out of control. Beef Strogie is pretty mean as well.

HuntPrep365
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm too cheap to buy them anymore, so I make my own, but man do I have a weakness for that MH sweet and sour pork!

mcseal2
08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Chicken breasts with rib meat & mashed potatoes is my favorite.

BobcatJerry
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Same as HuntWyoDon, but I have to put Chilli Mac in there. I take along pepper seeds and give certain meals a dash, as I like spicy food. It add something extra to the meals on a cold evening.

HuntWYODon
08-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Same as HuntWyoDon, but I have to put Chilli Mac in there. I take along pepper seeds and give certain meals a dash, as I like spicy food. It add something extra to the meals on a cold evening.
Oh man ! Hamberger Helper Chili Mac with elk or deer burger and green chili stewed tomatoes added. I'm starving right now too ! You dog ! :) Spicey all the way !

Wheels
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Favorites:
Beef Stroganoff
Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Chicken Teriyaki

So far, the only two that I really didn't care for and won't buy again are:
Buffalo Chicken
Mac n Cheese

FullDraw
08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Beef Stroganoff and Mac & Cheese. But my new favorite is Seafood Chowder it's the bomb!

Colorado Cowboy
08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Don't really care for much of it...! In the early 60's I hiked the total Muir Trail in 2 months and got my fill of DriLite, couldn't wait to catch some trout! Also ate enough C Rats in the Army to last a lifetime. I'll take some fresh backstraps and baked spud any day.

dhershberger
08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Chili Mac, spaghetti, and beef stroganoff all the way! Mountain House is awesome!

Muleys 24/7
08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I sure am glad this tread got kicked up because I'm going to be stocking up soon, all this is making me hungry!

bigshot
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I sure am glad this tread got kicked up because I'm going to be stocking up soon, all this is making me hungry!

Ditto, lol. Hmmm they all sound good....

Brocka
08-17-2012, 12:48 AM

I just stocked up, I ordered direct from Mt. House, All the different entrees along wit the "Pro-Pak" option right there. Super convenient. They take up a lot less room when vac sealed. Something to think about.

Muleys 24/7
08-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I just stocked up, I ordered direct from Mt. House, All the different entrees along wit the "Pro-Pak" option right there. Super convenient. They take up a lot less room when vac sealed. Something to think about.

Good idea, I'll check that out.

Chippy Hacky
08-18-2012, 09:01 AM
If you have a Fred Meyer store around, MH just went on sale for 20% off. The entrees are regularly 5.99 and then 20% off that? (If I remember correctly, Ha) Around here, they are cheaper than Wal Mart to begin with (let alone the 20% off) and they have a larger selection with all the go-too choices. I just scooped up a bunch!

ID_MW
08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
All you Mt. Housers should check a costco if there is one near you. They have a 10 pack consisting of lasagna, stroganoff, beef stew, and chicken teriyaki for $42.00. Screaming deal.

twp1224
08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Chicken and rice, Beef stew and Chicken Teriyaki for me.

Rob P
08-20-2012, 11:48 PM
#1 chili mac
#2 tie between lasagna or stroganoff

Elk Hunter
08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Sweet & Sour Pork is the best.

ivorytip
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
funny how popular a food thread can be:cool: sweet and sour pork is pretty rocking

Chippy Hacky
08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
OK, I went out and bought a few Sweet and Sour Pork's to try. I hope you guys are right!

funny how popular a food thread can be:cool: sweet and sour pork is pretty rocking

graybird
08-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I wanted to get a general idea of what were favorites before I spent some money on something that wasn't going to taste very good.

EdD270
10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Too many to list.
The chili is very mild, so I add some pizazz to it.
Love the beef stew, and many others.

ivorytip
10-19-2012, 08:29 PM
my new fav is the chicken breast and ribbed meat with mashed potatoes!!!! idk if if was cuz i was starving but that was the most delicious thing that has touched my pallet. for real though, good!

Shaun
10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Beef stroganoff
Lasagna
Chili Mac
Spaghetti

Musket Man
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I usually get whatever is cheaper or on sale and throw in a single pack of instant mashed potatoes. Its usually the beef stroganoff. I also somewhat watch the weight of them. Some are noticeably heavier then others.

JMSZ
10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
How much are these going for in your areas? I've looked at the big bags at REI and Big 5 and both places are charging $8.00 for a single, large entree.

Does a what's in a single bag provide a full "meal" worth of calories, nutrients, etc, or do you need (in actual use) to supplement them with something?

Reason I ask is that I can get MREs for $7 and the weight different between MREs and Mountain House isn't enough to justify spending that much if I also need to buy supplemental stuff.

Thanks.

Musket Man
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
I think they were $6 to $7 at walmart for the 2 meal ones last I bought any.I have not tried the single ones but have herd they will leave you hungry.

Chippy Hacky
10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I get the double entrees for just under $5. Check the food label as far as servings goes. I think that most all of the "double entres" are about 2.5 entrees which is enough for a full meal for me. The breakfasts are also enough for me.

As far as MH v. MRE's, it isn't even close in my book. MRE's are wayyyy too heavy and taste horrible. MH has a good variety taste wise.

How much are these going for in your areas? I've looked at the big bags at REI and Big 5 and both places are charging $8.00 for a single, large entree.

Does a what's in a single bag provide a full "meal" worth of calories, nutrients, etc, or do you need (in actual use) to supplement them with something?

Reason I ask is that I can get MREs for $7 and the weight different between MREs and Mountain House isn't enough to justify spending that much if I also need to buy supplemental stuff.

Thanks.

ivorytip
10-26-2012, 09:06 PM
ive been living on mre's this fall and have been surprised at how far taste has come. sure some are still nasty but ive enjoyed most. plus they are packed with all sorts of random things, had a milkshake in yesterdays. if im packing i take mre's. i keep mountain houses at base camps. mre's can be broken down to heating pack and whatever else u care to carry and wrapped back up with duct tape, works pretty great. plus if you have buddies in military they can score some great deals on mre's. great as in free.

DryFlyGuy
10-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Chicken with mashed potatoes

JMSZ
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
I get the double entrees for just under $5. Check the food label as far as servings goes. I think that most all of the "double entres" are about 2.5 entrees which is enough for a full meal for me. The breakfasts are also enough for me.

As far as MH v. MRE's, it isn't even close in my book. MRE's are wayyyy too heavy and taste horrible. MH has a good variety taste wise.

After posting, I looked at the mountain house website and realized that the ones I was talking about were the 2.5 serving entress, those are consistently $8+ around here.

Comes out to like 675 calories, unless I can find them for less, for the money, I think I'm better off with the MREs at 1,200+ calories.

Like Ivortytip said, they're actually pretty good now. I had sirloin tips in gravy with garlic mashed potatoes and maple sausage a couple of weeks ago while hunting. A couple of the vegetarian ones are even pretty good.

That said, I've eaten them enough in the military to know what ones I like and can buy them individually at the commissary for about $7 each, so I won't get stiffed with something like the hamburger patty or eggs - yuck.

By the way, for anybody who does get them, I would recommend avoiding the cornbread stuffing. I haven't had it yet, but several people in a class I was in did and not one of them could finish it. Even Tabasco sauce only made it less unpalatable.

2labs
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
My fav is the Chicken Terriaki with rice and Beef stew.

6mm Remington
10-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I just had a beef stroganoff on my buddies mountain goat hunt and it was amazingly good. It was way beyond just a caloric stomach filler!

beav906
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
++1 for the teriyaki chicken and rice. Goes great with a hot cup of nescafe coffee on a cold day!

Whisky
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Beef stroganoff my favorite thus far, hands down.....I actually haven't had a bad one yet. I think the better question asked is "What are your least favorite Mt House meals?"

6mm Remington
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Beef stroganoff my favorite thus far, hands down.....I actually haven't had a bad one yet. I think the better question asked is "What are your least favorite Mt House meals?"
The spicy egg and potatoes breakfast with peppers and other things. I was in 13 miles on my goat hunt last year and started feeling like I was going to lose my stomach. Felt like a flu bug. In the morning I still was not feeling well, but was really hungry. So........I fix this breakfast. Who thinks you can freeze dry eggs, because you can't!! It went down and 30 minutes later it came back up for a visit. It was like that the rest of the day until I got out that night at 9:30 PM carrying a 60 pound pack. I never at anything else the rest of the day and only drank water trying to stay hydrated. That was a trick because about 10 minutes after drinking water guess what. Yep it did that all day. Not sure I could look at one of those breakfasts again!

Chippy Hacky
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't like the bacon and eggs. Just doesn't taste right. For breakfast I will take the granola with milk and blueberries. It is a little sweet but better than the bacon/eggs.

One other thing about the granola with milk and blueberries. The package says to serve and eat cold. I just cant stand to eat something cold in the a.m. when I am cold. Anyway, I poored boiling water in and it worked just fine, good and hot!

ivorytip
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
i havent enjoyed any of the breakfast options. breakfast for me is instant flavored oatmeal and some cowboy coffee. fast and easy and hits the spot. those ice cream sandwiches are pretty darn good!

Rock 2.0
11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Turkey tetrazini!

THEBuzz
11-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Rice and Chicken....LOL well at least they didn't fool me by advertising the "chicken" part first....cause it was DEFFINETLY lots more rice and little chicken....anyway was good and rate it a 7...but really did fill me up....
next I guess I'll try the Beef Stroganoff......
Chill MAC...IIRC...is still my fav...

digger11
11-11-2012, 12:22 PM
lasagna with meat sauce

JMSZ
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
This just reminded me - my dad brought home some LRPRs (called "lerps"), they're long-range patrol rations, freexe-dried military rations for the special ops guys. This was back in the '80s.

I had beef hash, that was actually awesome. It was just like corned beef hash, but made with regular beef instead. I haven't found anything like it, freeze-dried or otherwise, since then.

CRIT'R GIT'R
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Mountain House- Lasagna, Mac n Cheese, Eggs n Bacon is pretty good for breakfast and a nice change from Granola or Oatmeal. Also try Backpackers Pantry-Shepards Pie, really good and is by far my favorite.

arrowslinger21
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I dont always carry Mtn houses anymore, just to try and cut out the weight of a stove and fuel as well as the utensils. However, when I do heres my list 1) stroganoff 2) teriyaki rice with chicken 3) noodles and chicken. If i do take them I eat on every other night and skip dinner on the in betweens.