PDA

View Full Version : Your best hunting snacks!

Islandwarrior233
08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Wanting to try something different than snickers, homemade cookies and Swiss cake rolls this year. I want to know what you bring in th field other than power/clif/granola bars. Whether its healthy or not, unique or general!

HuskyMusky
08-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I prefer to eat natural and healthy but in the field it's usually whatever...

candy bars of all sorts... granola bars...

I think I tried "oh yeah" bars, high in protein, high in calories, like over 300cal/bar, but taste good unlike most protein bars...

apples, bananas...

oat meal, hot dogs in camp...

MSUcat61
08-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I make a pretty mean mix of raw almonds, Craisins, raisins, and chocolate chips that I like to take. Or a lot of times an apple. But one of my favorite things to take along is the Fruit & Nut chocolate bar by Cadbury (like the eggs). They taste great, but mostly because they always remind me of elk hunting with my old man, since he and I would always split one at about ten in morning every time we went out.

Muleys 24/7
08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Cliff energy bars, and good ol beef or venison jerky are my favs

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I make a pretty mean mix of raw almonds, Craisins, raisins, and chocolate chips that I like to take. Or a lot of times an apple. But one of my favorite things to take along is the Fruit & Nut chocolate bar by Cadbury (like the eggs). They taste great, but mostly because they always remind me of elk hunting with my old man, since he and I would always split one at about ten in morning every time we went out.

Dam that sounds good ! I bought two different energy bars before my antelope hunt. Never used them before. Not a good idea when it's 97 degrees unless you like gooey melted chocolate. One was Carb Concious/ carmel nut chocolate. Tasted great but melted bad. Maybe good for Fall/Winter time. The othe was Met-RX. They hardly melted at all. Chocolate roasted almond. Yum. They definitley filled me up for what they were. I'm a big appitite guy. They have both at Waly Mart.

Old Hunter
08-21-2012, 08:02 PM
I know you don't want to hear it, but protein bars and trail mix. I make sure the protein bars have no sugar.

Sugar puts me to sleep. It's the last thing i'd eat hunting.

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM

The BEST jerky in Ca. . Smokehouse Meats in Bishop Ca. All Mohogany smoked. My fave, sweet and spicey turkey jerky. Like dam candy. I gave that rancher about 1/2 pd. of it. He was in heaven. Expensive though. Habenero Turkey is good too, for a couple min.
I bought a new beef one , can't remember the name at the moment (Jack) but it was good and wished I'd bought more. Came back the 5 fwy and not 395 so couldn't grab anymore :( If you pack jerkey while you hunt, I pack extra liquids. Makes me thirsty.

Muleys 24/7
08-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Jerky will definitely keep you hydrated, I like the energy from the protein. I always stop at the beef jerky shops, they always have the best.

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Jerky will definitely keep you hydrated, I like the energy from the protein. I always stop at the beef jerky shops, they always have the best.
You mean dehydrated ? I know What you mean. Hope some day you are in Bishop and can check that place out !
Alright , heading to the movies now ! Later my Dynamic Duo friend !

Muleys 24/7
08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
You mean dehydrated ? I know What you mean. Hope some day you are in Bishop and can check that place out !
Alright , heading to the movies now ! Later my Dynamic Duo friend !

I ment hydrated, because you'll have to drink alot of water. Dose that make sense?

Ikeepitcold
08-21-2012, 10:40 PM
I also like Jerky but I also like to take Jolly Ranchers to have in my mouth while I'm hiking. It seems to keep my mouth and throat from drying out better then water does. I still drink a lot of water while hiking but I defiantly drink less so I conserve what I have before a have to refill my water bladder.

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:13 AM
I ment hydrated, because you'll have to drink alot of water. Dose that make sense?
That does. Forced hydration. Lol ! Dam, I wish I had some Mohogany smoked sweet and spicey turkey jerky right now... It's addictive !

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Home Made Deer Jerky.... And Not the kind with Liquid Smoke.. Good Old Boy Hickory or Cherry Smoked Jerky....

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Home Made Deer Jerky.... And Not the kind with Liquid Smoke.. Good Old Boy Hickory or Cherry Smoked Jerky....
What are you doin up so late ? I've smoked with apricot wood from the 3 trees I have. Any fruit tree wood is good, to even bbq with. Burns quick though. I BBQ with oak all the time but not good for smoking meat. You guys need to stop talkin about jerkey , I'm hungry now! Maybe I should make some from the loper meat that has been sitting in my coolers in kitchen for 2 days ??? :) I've made jerkey from elk,deer ,antelope and even javalina. one time in 1993 I made about 5 pds. of Az. elk jerky. I had it in a duffel bag sitting in an outfitter's front yard the night before being packed in for a drop camp for elk in Co.. The trip I fell off cliff in dark. I came back in the morning and found a big empty zip lock bag. His dog's got into my duffel bag and ate it all. Don't know how. it was tied . I was pissed and told him what I felt. 4 guys were waiting to eat it on out hunt. I should of jerked one of those dam dog's !

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I also like Jerky but I also like to take Jolly Ranchers to have in my mouth while I'm hiking. It seems to keep my mouth and throat from drying out better then water does. I still drink a lot of water while hiking but I defiantly drink less so I conserve what I have before a have to refill my water bladder.
Very good idea IKC ! I know they keep your mouth moist. Never thought of packing them . Love the water melon. Would have to hide them from my son though!

wapiti66
08-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Speaking of jerky...anybody have any good recipes for making your own jerky in a dehydrator? I have been doing my own for a few years in an electric smoker, but my dad just bought a dehydrator I'd like to try out. Homemade deer jerky is my favorite snack, tasty and makes me feel like im actually getting something good out of it.

Fink
08-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Wapiti- You should be able to use your same recipes for the dehydrator that you use for smoking.. Provided you like your current recipes, of course. You'll just want to slice the meat thinner than you would when you are smoking. That reminds me, I need to smoke some jerky for my CO elk (I know, there aren't any elk in CO) in 8 days.

Aside from jerky, I like to eat mixed nuts, and candy bars. I never eat candy bars except when hunting, and then... I can mow down some kitkats. Skittles are tasty too.

Murdy
08-22-2012, 09:20 AM
If you use your smoker recipe for your dehydrator, but like the smoked taste, add a little of either liquid smoke or sesame oil. Both are pretty potent, so go easy with them.

Timberstalker
08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Jerky, granola bars and a Mountain Dew. Thats what keeps me alive till I get back to camp.

Kevin Root
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
+1 on Jerky for me. I like that pioneer type feeling when I'm out in the backcountry. I like some kind of hard candy like Jolly Ranchers too. The candy is perhaps not the healthiest choice but I like them. :)

Old Hunter
08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
As much as I like jerky. I never eat it anymore. Too much salt that raises my blood pressure. No something I want at high altitude.

I also drink no water. I get better results with Gatorade.

We all have to find what works for us. Over the years i've tried about everything, and finally know what works for me. You all need to do the same thing. Don't copy someone else, because it works for them.

Jeremy
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
A bag of homemade elk jerky will keep me good for the day.

Kevin Root
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
OldHunter, I agree do what works for you but have you tried the low salt Jerky? I don't like much salt in my diet too as I get older.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/Kevin_Root/Posting%20Pictures/17205.jpg

To everyone out there. I hope you all have an awesome and safe hunting season ahead. Perhaps a bit corny but don't mess with Sasquatch! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyy2jU29LvE&feature=player_detailpage

jenbickel
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Rice Krispy treats... They're good even when smooshed.
I like jerky but it doesn't like me...

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Rice Krispy treats... They're good even when smooshed.
I like jerky but it doesn't like me...
Don't forget about your gummy bears.... Geeeeeezzzz ! ;)

jenbickel
08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't forget about your gummy bears.... Geeeeeezzzz ! ;)

Lol oh yes!! Cannot forget the cinnamon gummy bears!!! Yummmm... But they get a little gross when they get all hot and bothered in my pack.

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Lol oh yes!! Cannot forget the cinnamon gummy bears!!! Yummmm... But they get a little gross when they get all hot and bothered in my pack.
That happens a lot with you I know. LOL !

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Kevin,
I'm ROFLMAO with that video ! Thanks !

NVBird'n'Big
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Saw this on an Eastman's Hunting TV episode a while back (I think it was Nate Simmons), tried it, and love it! I always throw a few in my pack, whether I'm packing in or just on a day hunt.

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Saw this on an Eastman's Hunting TV episode a while back (I think it was Nate Simmons), tried it, and love it! I always throw a few in my pack, whether I'm packing in or just on a day hunt.

I tried that too ! was dam good. Haven't packed with them though.

dito
08-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Quest protein bars. They have no sugar and taste good! Other than that jerky and granola bars.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
As much as I like jerky. I never eat it anymore. Too much salt that raises my blood pressure. No something I want at high altitude.

I also drink no water. I get better results with Gatorade.

We all have to find what works for us. Over the years i've tried about everything, and finally know what works for me. You all need to do the same thing. Don't copy someone else, because it works for them.
I always pack at least one gatoraid or power aid bottle in my pack with water also. My son prefers gatoraid but I think he likes it better because of taste compared to water. If I start drinking the gatoraid, I makes me drink more often because it's sweeter than water. But...It has more in it that you do need. I pack both.

Muleys 24/7
08-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I always pack at least one gatoraid or power aid bottle in my pack with water also. My son prefers gatoraid but I think he likes it better because of taste compared to water. If I start drinking the gatoraid, I makes me drink more often because it's sweeter than water. But...It has more in it that you do need. I pack both.

Same here, gatorade is too sweet and makes me more thirsty, not what I take on a long hike.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 09:37 PM
They have one that's low in sugar. I wish it had no sugar.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Same here, gatorade is too sweet and makes me more thirsty, not what I take on a long hike.

Same with me so I just feed it to my son.

bigshot
08-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Red Vines are great for an energy boost.

xtreme
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I always carry some water. The peanut/bacon sandwiches are good for me. Never jerky on a hunt. I will usually have a power bar. I have had my snicker bars interrupted by both elk and mule deer. Quietly lay the snicker on the edge of the stump while you shoot. Sounds like all I eat while hunting is snickers.

brushcreekoutfit
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Does beer count, :) Pop tarts (carbs and sugar) Peanut granola bars (protein)

az.mountain runner
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Yep and this jerky is the best.

Maineboy
08-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I like the PRO BAR's and bagel pepperoni and cheese sandwich with mustered. keep the stuff separate till you eat, I have dragged these around in my pack for two weeks and still edible. put the mustered in a double ziploc then put a hole in the corner of the inner bag to squeeze it out when needed. Strange but it works and a lot of calories.

Old Hunter
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I looked around for something better than Gatorade. I found this, and ordered a tub of it.

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/nutritionalinfo/HydrateAndRecoverNutritionalInformation.aspx

Maineboy
08-27-2012, 07:36 PM
I like wilderness athlete, started using it last year. I find my self using it with my daily activities. Best of all no sugar.

llp
08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
A great substitute for gatorade is called Zipp Fizz. It is sold at Costco, and is an electrolyte replacement mix. Comes in small tubes of powder, you add to water. Seems like an "adult' version of gatorade, without all the sugar.
Got to have my pop tarts for early morning snacks, and Sunbelt granola bars for mid day. Cliff bars work well when really hungry, but not my preference for taste. Still, lots of calories and energy in a small package. Variety is important when out hunting, so don't get too locked in to the same thing every day.
llp

trkytrack2
09-03-2012, 03:53 AM
I like wilderness athlete, started using it last year. I find my self using it with my daily activities. Best of all no sugar.

It has 15% simple sugar from fructose. Sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. Being a diabetic it's a no-no for me.

Old Hunter
09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
It has 15% simple sugar from fructose. Sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. Being a diabetic it's a no-no for me.

Of course all sugars are for you, but fructose comes from fruit, and I seem to react to it better. It doesn't make me sleepy like simple sugar.

EdD270
10-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I load up on jerky, and my wife makes apple fruit leather, kind of fruit jerky. I also carry powdered gatorade or protein drink to mix in a canteen cup. A granola bar or three and some dark chocolate Snickers or Milky Ways are usually found in my pack, too. A couple of hot apple cider bags and perhaps an MRE or two for unexpected overnights complete the package.

dihardhunter
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Bought a case of 48 Snickers bars from Sam's Club - did not survive! Also like the Honey Stingers.

AKaviator
11-01-2012, 05:04 PM
The BEST jerky in Ca. . Smokehouse Meats in Bishop Ca. All Mohogany smoked. My fave, sweet and spicey turkey jerky. Like dam candy. I gave that rancher about 1/2 pd. of it. He was in heaven. Expensive though. Habenero Turkey is good too, for a couple min.
I bought a new beef one , can't remember the name at the moment (Jack) but it was good and wished I'd bought more. Came back the 5 fwy and not 395 so couldn't grab anymore :( If you pack jerkey while you hunt, I pack extra liquids. Makes me thirsty.
Hey HWD,

I had to look back to find this thread again, I called and ordered from this place...your'e right, it's great! Thanks for the tip!

Maineboy
11-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Sorry trKytrack2, your right the hydrate & recover has 5mg per serving and the energy & focus has 0g sugar per serving.

Fink
11-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I just threw all the leftover halloween treats that the neighborhood kids didn't take into my bag. They will not survive the next 10 days of deer hunting.

Eberle
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Speaking of jerky...anybody have any good recipes for making your own jerky in a dehydrator? I have been doing my own for a few years in an electric smoker, but my dad just bought a dehydrator I'd like to try out. Homemade deer jerky is my favorite snack, tasty and makes me feel like im actually getting something good out of it.

2 lbs. of meat sliced 1/8 thick
1 cup of Allegro (Game Tame)
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke
1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt

Mix the meat and the marinade in a ziplock bag, refrigerate for 24 hrs. Sprinkle Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne) on top of meat. Dehydrate at 150 175 degrees for 4-6 hrs.

Z Barebow
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Jerky Homemade- It reminds me of the cycle of life and why I am hunting and my place on this earth.

Honey Stinger Waffles- I WILL be packing these! I have tried them after long runs and they are the tastiest energy treat I have ever scarfed down. 160 calories per ounce (One waffle) which is a very high weight to calorie ratio.

Elk Hunter
11-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Nobody mentioned peanuts or cashews, high calories per ounce! I also like peanut M&Ms and recently found some pork jerky at Sams Club that is all natural without the preservatives. Boiled eggs are good for about three days if it doesn't get to warm. Raisins and dried cranberries, foil packaged tuna in oil and chicken are also on my list of snacks. I backpack in for two weeks plus so my snack list may be a little different than some.

romo343
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
summer sausage is a must have, with club crackers haha

wyo-hntr
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Peanut Butter and honey on flour tortillas. They don't get all squished and fall apart like bread.

dhershberger
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Yall need to try stinger honey waffles and stinger energy gummies, those things keep me going during a tough packout. The stinger energy gummies taste a heck of a lot better than jolly ranchers and aint bad for ya.

jenbickel
01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Peanut Butter and honey on flour tortillas. They don't get all squished and fall apart like bread.

That's good thinking! Do they get soggy like bread does? I hate pulling out my sandwich and it's all soggy and gross. Lol

Sandstalker
01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Cameron Haines once mentioned bacon & pb sandwich. I had to try it so I did & love it. I eat them all the time. Great source of protein & carbs for energy

JMSZ
01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Cliff Mojo bars, like trail mix in a bar form, not as sweet as the regular Cliff bars (I can't eat them because they're so sweet).

I sometimes also bring some trail mix, I love that stuff.

Ricola cough drops, not so sweet, I always have a couple of bags.

I looked at the Honey Stingers, the waffles are nothing but carbs, no protein at all, so I'm still debating on them.

Normally bring Gatorade packets, but I'm going to try the Wilderness Athlete.

Packets of 3-in-1 (coffee, creamer and sugar) instant coffee, get them at Asian markets. Can mix it up cold and it's really good with cocoa.

The peanut butter and bacon actually sounds good, I'm going to have to try that.

Grizz
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I've packed PB and Bacon sandwiches for a long time. In fact if I'm car camping and make pancakes I'll use the leftover cakes as my bread. I pack a lot of jerky and trail mix as well. I have found that sugary candy (snickers) bars don't keep me going and therefore I overeat on them. Don't get me wrong I love snickers they just aren't great for backcountry nutrition. I must say that upon reading and studying up on other options I ran across Kristy Titus's blog article on the Wilderness Athlete website and I now pack MetrX meal replacement bars. They taste great, are loaded with good stuff, and stick with you longer throughout the day. This last year I used the Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover as well as the Energy and Focus drink mix. It is incredible how when combined, the two of these products work together to increase focus during a long day or several long days in the backcountry. They also make bad tasting water more palatable. In fact, I can honestly say that there was one day in particular when the combination of these two products in 12 ounces of water (they call this "The Blaze") from my hydration bladder actually gave me a pick-me-up and helped me push through the mid-day glassing lull and stay in the woods long enough for the weather to change and for the elk to kick in to high gear in the early afternoon. All my buddies save one were back in camp "sleeping through the heat." Needless to say they missed some great mid-day bugling but not the pack out that night from a steep canyon where my buddy and I killed a great bull at two in the afternoon. I'm not saying we owe that bull to a nutritional supplement but that spurt of energy and focus kept us in position to capitalize on a great opportunity.

After years of lugging around useless crap in my pack now I won't go into the woods for a full day or couple of days without the following things in my pack for nutrition; PB and Bacon, Trail mix, those MetrX bars, squeeze bottle of honey(quick pick-me-up), and Wilderness Athlete packets of Hydrate & Recover and Energy & Focus.

I won't say this is the gospel of Wilderness nutrition but it works for me.

ThreeTikkas
01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Natures Valley crunchy oat and honey granola bars and lots of water. I can live on those things for a week if I had to. I do love bacon. heck I raise my own hogs. But the salt makes me extreamly thirsty. Could be that I never add salt to a meal,just don't like salt shaken on anything. OK if it's used in the preperation,but not from a shaker. I think therefore I'm a little sensitive to the stuff. I'd damn near kill for a piece of crispy bacon though. Sucks that it dries me out.

Old Hunter
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Salt give me high blood pressure. I never eat the stuff. Which is why I don't eat jerky.

Blaze
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple for me when hunting. If I can take a thermos of coffee , I will take that too. PB & J is great with coffee. The trick to keeping the sandwich from getting too soggy is to put peanut butter on both slices of bread, then the jelly or jam doesn't soak into bread quite as bad. I also like the toasted almond granola bars from Natures Valley. Water is must, and sometimes I'll take a couple packets of flavor packets for a bottle of water. All depends on hunt situation thought, but PB&J is always with me. We always have plenty of home made jam on hand, tastes better when you've made it!

Ikeepitcold
03-04-2014, 11:36 PM
This is a old thread but thought it would be good to resurrect it.

Anything new out there to add to this list?

velvetfvr
03-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Love fiber plus bars and nature valley almond granola bars. Nutri grain strawberry granola bars are good also. Love having sun flower seeds also.

But when your out in the middle of the state, any kind of food tastes good!

IDELKFVR
03-05-2014, 09:34 AM
I try and mix it up from day to day. Here some ideas that I have taken Pistachio nuts, apples, pepperoni , some trail mix, usually something with a little sugar for an energy boost like tootsie pop sucker, use to take smoked oyster in the can but not so much any more, sometimes a bagel I never take soda I always prefer water.

RockChucker30
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
My wife and i stick mostly to the Primal Diet. It's easiest to define this diet by what you don't eat, but I prefer to define something with its' positives.

We eat a lot of meat and vegetables, some fruit and nuts, and limit dairy (although I can tear up some 2-3 year aged Gouda). I don't eat sugar, grain - including bread, pasta, and basically ALL processed foods.

The point of this diet is to maintain steady blood sugar and insulin levels throughout the day, resulting in steady energy levels, better focus, no brain fog after lunch, etc.

I try to stick to it while hunting and backpacking as well. I eat a lot of jerky (my own recipe - you can limit salt and preservatives) almonds, pecans, walnuts, dried fruit, dehydrated sweet potatoes, etc. I like Lara bars and Kind bars as well, and for really hard physical exertion I pack GU gels to supplement.

NVBird'n'Big
03-05-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere back in this thread but you can't beat a peanut butter and bacon sandwich when up on the mountain. Definitely my go to.

25contender
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
I got hooked on the honeystinger waffles and bars last year!! Its like a addiction!!

Ikeepitcold
03-05-2014, 11:49 AM
My wife and i stick mostly to the Primal Diet. It's easiest to define this diet by what you don't eat, but I prefer to define something with its' positives.

We eat a lot of meat and vegetables, some fruit and nuts, and limit dairy (although I can tear up some 2-3 year aged Gouda). I don't eat sugar, grain - including bread, pasta, and basically ALL processed foods.

The point of this diet is to maintain steady blood sugar and insulin levels throughout the day, resulting in steady energy levels, better focus, no brain fog after lunch, etc.

I try to stick to it while hunting and backpacking as well. I eat a lot of jerky (my own recipe - you can limit salt and preservatives) almonds, pecans, walnuts, dried fruit, dehydrated sweet potatoes, etc. I like Lara bars and Kind bars as well, and for really hard physical exertion I pack GU gels to supplement.

Like me some smoked Gouda!

Hilltop
03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
I make pineapple habanero deer jerky.... not too spicy or salty. Mix that with a good trail mix or cliff bars. Light to carry and plenty of nutrition for a day in the field.

woodtick
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
A Yeti 65 loaded with beer, salami, cheese and ice. :) J/K

velvetfvr
03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
A Yeti 65 loaded with beer, salami, cheese and ice. :) J/K

My grandpa will be hunting with you then!

woodtick
03-05-2014, 03:23 PM
HAHA thats ok with me!! I sure like having some good ole boys around.

marcusvdk
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
My own mix of trail mix. Peanuts cashews pecans m&m dark chocolate dried blueberries and rasins and dried cranberries

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

NVbowhnter
03-10-2014, 09:45 PM
We always bring dehydrated peaches, granola bars, and venison jerky. Sometimes we will smoke chicken legs in advance and bring those to, they make for a great recharge on protein.

OregonJim
03-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I've caught a lot of flack for all the high fiber protein bars packed along over the years.
Unkowingly packed a hidden canister of Metamucil about 5 miles one day...:o

Last year I ran my first marathon and interestingly enough Gummy Bears were handed out at several stations.

I don't know if they gave me more energy or not but I'm gonna pack some along on my Spring Bear hunts.

My wife (who grew up in Northern CA- need I say more?) turned me on to these Blackberry Bliss "Chia Seed" squeeze packs.
I know I am almost ashamed to admit that I tried one.

They are kind of like the energy goo packs, that runners use, but a little more slimy.......as soon as I tried one I thought about using it on pack in hunts.

hoshour
03-11-2014, 07:12 AM
This is a tough one for me. Most of the items listed here are basically junk food, along with some dried fruit & PB&J. I am trying to change what I eat because I developed an addiction to chocolate, sugar, fat and salt so that when I have a bite, I'm like an alcoholic with his first drink - off to the races, throwing down everything I can find. When I was young, it made no difference in weight but once I started a desk job in my 30s I gained 1-2 pounds/year. Now, I'm working hard to lose it this year. So far, I'm down 15 pounds, thanks to a no-tolerance policy on the stuff above and 5 days a week at the gym. I've got another 25 to go before fall and I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.

So, I think my no-tolerance policy on sweets and the salty or fatty stuff is going to be in place from now on, which knocks out nearly all of what you guys take along for snacks.

Don't laugh, but a friend of mine who changed his diet and looks great swears by snacking on kale. Kale has the highest nutritional value of any food and is light and cheap. Plus, I found that once I quit eating fats and sugars my taste buds changed completely to where the natural taste of things really comes alive and things I didn't use to like, I do now. And, anything with much fat tastes disgustingly greasy and sugary stuff tastes way more sugary than it used to. I may try his kale idea on some short hikes, maybe also take some dried fruit, though despite the name it tends to be heavy to carry.

Colorado Cowboy
03-11-2014, 08:40 AM
My own home made jerky!;)

Hilltop
03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
This is a tough one for me. Most of the items listed here are basically junk food, along with some dried fruit & PB&J. I am trying to change what I eat because I developed an addiction to chocolate, sugar, fat and salt so that when I have a bite, I'm like an alcoholic with his first drink - off to the races, throwing down everything I can find. When I was young, it made no difference in weight but once I started a desk job in my 30s I gained 1-2 pounds/year. Now, I'm working hard to lose it this year. So far, I'm down 15 pounds, thanks to a no-tolerance policy on the stuff above and 5 days a week at the gym. I've got another 25 to go before fall and I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.

So, I think my no-tolerance policy on sweets and the salty or fatty stuff is going to be in place from now on, which knocks out nearly all of what you guys take along for snacks.

Don't laugh, but a friend of mine who changed his diet and looks great swears by snacking on kale. Kale has the highest nutritional value of any food and is light and cheap. Plus, I found that once I quit eating fats and sugars my taste buds changed completely to where the natural taste of things really comes alive and things I didn't use to like, I do now. And, anything with much fat tastes disgustingly greasy and sugary stuff tastes way more sugary than it used to. I may try his kale idea on some short hikes, maybe also take some dried fruit, though despite the name it tends to be heavy to carry.

If you make your own, you can do very low sodium venison jerky. I have made a few batches with zero sodium that weren't too bad. Try using fruit, vegetables, and peppers to flavor your meat.

Dan4Elk2
03-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Elk Jerky..Pepper...plain. Trail mix. fruit snacks