PDA

View Full Version : Another Great 2012 CA Antople

Muleys 24/7
08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
HUNTWYODON just came back from a successful CA antelope and got a great buck:cool:, While on his hunt he met a new friend who also had a tag, these pics are the results! I figured this great CA Antelope buck needed its own thread. Hopefully Don will chime in with the score and story!

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/mm2.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/mmm1.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/JKjeepin24/m3.jpg

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
You are the Techno bomb Muley's !
He finally got him yesterday morning after hunting only this buck for the last 3 days.
For now, I can give you the measurements I made him give me over the phone. He was freakin out. He's shot a few nice lopers too. I feel kinda weird telling his story.
The length was 17 1/4 and 17 5/8 . Bases were 8 in. prongs 6 in. Both those last two beat mine by an inch on each...
He didnt have the circum. 3/4 measurement but he thought 4 in. I looked at Ca. record book and they averaged 3 in with the 4th place buck at 4 in. . he estimated the inside spread at between at 8 in. ? tip to tip Spread is ? Not much. Why these two matter on an antelope I don't know. From an uneducated guess because have never scored anything in my life, came up with min. 86 in. That put's him tied at 4th place. I could be way off either way but it's a huge and was SMART buck from is story. Everybody nick named him the Heart Buck, as you can see why !
Oh, BTW . He shoots a Weatherby 30-378. I thought I was over gunned with 300 RUM. I believe in reaching out when need to.

Muleys 24/7
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
You are the Techno bomb Muley's !
I feel kinda weird telling his story.

Ha,not really I just know how to post pics. I feel the same way posting his pics,oh well, Did you get the release to post his pics. lol. It is a great buck though

HuntWYODon
08-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Ha,not really I just know how to post pics. I feel the same way posting his pics,oh well lol. It is a great buck though

He sent them to my Cox email though. If to my phone I could do it or send them to my work email and download them but Cox blows. They strip attachments and pics when you forward. Like we live in Communist China or something. The don't want to slow their band width down...oh no ! not what I pay for !

Kevin Root
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM
I can see why they named him Heart Buck. It's nice to see some Ca speed goats getting tagged.

BobT
08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Sure would like to line up on something like that in a couple of weeks!

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=BobT;34223]Sure would like to line up on something like that in a couple of weeks![/QUOTE
Me too ! Dam nice buck. I guess with the limited amount of tags, even less than Az., they can grow big. He said the third morning he passed up three 15 in. goats because he wanted this particular one and was cussing himself for doing it. Paid off though ! That sucker would bed up in the pines and come down in the fields at almost dark. Would go back up at first light. There was no cover. He even tried stepping out of the rancher's truck while moving and got into a thistle patch. No go. I told him I've done that with guys I hunted with because if you stop, they run. Keep going they will watch the truck. He said he would go back to town and try to think of a plan B. He finally thought if he got set up in the field while still dark and waited till first light he may get a shot. It worked. He shot him at 150 yds.the next morning ! Nice when a plan comes together huh ?

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 12:05 AM
I can see why they named him Heart Buck. It's nice to see some Ca speed goats getting tagged.

Yeah, nice to see monster's coming out of Ca. and not just Az., N.M. and sometimes Nv. and Wy. huh ?

bigshot
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
What a toad!!

Brady
08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Looks like a book goat to me!!

Colorado Cowboy
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Great buck....no matter where he comes from. He's a shooter anywhere in my book!

Bitterroot Bulls
08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
he estimated the inside spread at between at 8 in. ? tip to tip Spread is ? Not much. Why these two matter on an antelope I don't know.

Don,

They don't matter on the score at all. You just put them on the sheet for the same reason outside spread goes on the deer sheet: Just to know.

Awesome goat.

PLP
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
congrats to you huntwydon,and to your friend!!

NoMoreOldNo7
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Awsome buck, love to see California get a little recognition, there are shots at some great game animals here if you are patient and know a little about what you're doing. Sounds like a good battle plan paid off, good job

ivorytip
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
great buck

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Looks like a book goat to me!!
It will be book. I bet in top 5 or so. Did you get to read some of the measurements I posted ? :)

Sawfish
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Great Goat!

marcusvdk
08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
thats an amazing antelope. Congrats on a successful and fun hunt

hvfd21walker
08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
That is one heck of a goat, Congrats!!

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
That is one heck of a goat, Congrats!!
I didn't shoot this one guy's ! I shot the one in the other thread "Ca. 2012 Big Valley buck" I think it says, A friend named Mike shot this toad. I think with the limited amount of tags Ca. gives and the majority of them living on private land, They can grow big.

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
congrats to you huntwydon,and to your friend!!
Thanks PLP ! I appreciate it !

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Don,

They don't matter on the score at all. You just put them on the sheet for the same reason outside spread goes on the deer sheet: Just to know.

Awesome goat.
Hey BB.
I didn't figure the spreads into score. I came up with 86 though with all required measurements. He will make it up there in the Ca. record book for sure. :)

Bitterroot Bulls
08-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Hey BB.
I didn't figure the spreads into score. I came up with 86 though with all required measurements. He will make it up there in the Ca. record book for sure. :)

I think you are right, HWD. It looks like a monster goat that should net well above the minimum.

Wild Country
08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Very nice goat...I really like the look of your goat and hope you mount it.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Very nice goat...I really like the look of your goat and hope you mount it.
Thanks Wild Country but I keep telling everybody this one isn't mine. It was another I guy there hunting that I met.
Mine is on a different thead called "2012 Big Valley antelope" or something like that. If Mike doesn't mount this one I'm going to !
It beat mine all to hell in size !

justinthedoc
08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Beautiful buck, good to know Cali is still good for something.

HuntWYODon
08-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey boy's and girl's,
Mike called me today and he had his goat scored by an SCI scorer ,so no drying period or deductions. It scored 86 7/8.
Boone and Crocket 1 3/8 less. Will make Boone and Crocket being over 80 in. and all time over 82 in.. The two tied for second place Ca. all time scores are 87 4/8 and 4th is 86 something. I'm pretty sure those are B&C scores. I forgot to say that that buck was well known in the area. Hunter's have been trying to kill him for 3 yrs. prior. Mike said he saw 3 different 15 in. bucks there that had the same heart shaped horns. Most likely his off spring. Found out Mike and I will be deer hunting nieghbors in Sept.. He has an X9B tag and I have and X12. We are going to meat for a steak down in Bishop. He's packing in with his horses up Sawmill canyon. He said if I get something I need packed out to call. I said if it's 100 degrees I can't wait a couple hours or so ! They got an early snow storm in there last year right at end of the season Oct. 8 & 9th. I've never been that lucky in X9B,X9A or X10. Maybe X12 will be lucky for me...

hardstalk
08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Bishop still as wet as it used to be? I have very fond memories of that town. I won my first all around cowboy buckle there. A beautiful place. Congrats on the goat also. Hes an absolute stud!

HuntWYODon
08-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Bishop still as wet as it used to be? I have very fond memories of that town. I won my first all around cowboy buckle there. A beautiful place. Congrats on the goat also. Hes an absolute stud!
Hey hardstalk,
I don't know about wet, but get's dam hot in the summer and faily cold in the winter. A lttle over 4000 ft. One of my favorite towns in Ca.. Used to go to "Mule Days" all the time in Bishop at the fairgrounds and stay at a cabin up the road at Convict Lake. Always had fun. 30 degrees cooler at the lake ! I've got snowed on Memorial Weeked at Convict Lake. Don't know what time of the year you were there. Some others on the Forum live in and near Bishop. I know Sierra_Intruder lives there.
Thanks !