PDA

View Full Version : unit 6 goats

lineman1779
08-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Me and my hunting partner hunted goats there last year and had a great time. We both shot our goats one in the first hr we were there and mine 24hrs later. But during the sturgis rally while i was out there my girlfriend and i went on a scouting/praire dog hunting mission. had a blast bu was a little concrened because we saw very litttle for goats. just wondering if that is the norm or has the draught drove them else where.

birdhunter
08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
I hunt area 6 every year. The goat population is going down quickly. If you looked at the quota for this year, there should have been about 200 leftover type 1 tags. Since the numbers are down, they did not sell any leftover tags in areas 6 or 7. They say its because of a couple diseases and the drought. There are still some goats around but the quality is down quite a bit. Some WIA's were taken out also. So if you hunt any of those you may want to check to see if they are still there.

lineman1779
08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
i am sad to hear that the population is going down but we should still have a good hunt.

birdhunter
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, you will have a good hunt and more than likely will fill your tags just as fast as you did last year. Just find a waterhole and you are in the money!

Ilovethewest
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Got a couple of family members hunting Unit 6 I believe. Going with rifle, not bow. They have 2 of my young cousins, and they wanted to go with the rifle. The ranch they are hunting on said they have not seem much for goats all summer. A few, but not many. But those herds can move around.....hope there are some there for them!

You guys going with the bow? I would like to try that someday. Maybe when my 4 year old son gets older we will try the blind / waterhole thing.

Good Luck guys!

lineman1779
08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
no we are going with rifle. some day i would love to try it with a bow.