PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Session At The Range This AM

Colorado Cowboy
08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Just got back from the range, it was cloudy, rained a little and cool. I took out the .257 Wby and my sporterized 03 Springfield 30-06. I just added a new scope to the Springfield and wanted to sight it in. Scope is a Leupold VXIII 3.5 x 10 40 mm AO. Gun shoots really great.

I tried something different with the Wby. If you remember from previous posts I have been working with this gun for 3 months...some good, some not so good results. I have a friend in Ca. that has the exact same setup and we were talking on the phone recently and he told me to seat the bullets only deep enough to work in the magazine, forget what the specs and what factory ammo is. I pulled some bullets on my best loads and reseated them further out (about .25) and the 100 yard groups are at least 50% tighter! Absolutely unreal. I know Wby put lots of freebore in their rifles, but this just blew my mind. I usually try to keep my loads a little longer (OAL) because I think it helps accuracy, but not a quarter of an inch.

Also the Wby has a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 but it is a 50mm. I really have not cared for 50 mm because of how high the scope has to be mounted. But today I became a believer. The difference in brightness on a really dark, cloudy day was really big. The 50 mm seemed almost twice as bright as the 40, even with the same scope.

Live and learn.

Shaun
08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Thats how I do the loads for my Tikka i forget what my OAL is but it was quite a bit more than was reccomended. I shoot barns and have herd many times to follow there OAL for best performance but that wasnt the case with mine. I am also the same about the 50mm that is all I use anymore. Just threw a Night Force 6.5-20x50 on my 300wsm I had built but havent got to play with it yet

xtreme
08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Good Post. I know that makes you feel better about your 257. It makes me want to confirm my spot and stalk bear setup. I am learing more about accuracy all the time and since I don't have custom guns I use different bullets/ammo to achieve better accuracy. In one old model 700 I have tried six bullet combinations and now have it shooting so good no one wiould believe it. German made RWS ammo at $19.00 per box of 20. I have been watching your progress with the 257, that is a very interesting round.

xtreme
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Good Post. I know that makes you feel better about your 257. It makes me want to confirm my spot and stalk bear setup. I am learing more about accuracy all the time and since I don't have custom guns I use different bullets/ammo to achieve better accuracy. In one old model 700 I have tried six bullet combinations and now have it shooting so good no one wiould believe it. German made RWS ammo at $19.00 per box of 20. I have been watching your progress with the 257, that is a very interesting round.

HuntWYODon
08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Hey CC,
I have an old 1903 Springfield I got from my Granpa. Never sporterized it though. The rifling in the barrel is worn but the action is good. I have 50 mm objective's on all my scopes but a few. Probably 7 at least. I love them. I like the bigger field of view also besides being brighter. Hang in there progress is happening !

Shaun,
Can you loan me your Night Force for awhile ? :)
I shoot mostly Barnes TTSX and TSX in my rifles and know they are are picky on OAL. By accident, I found that seating them a little deeper gave me a little better accuracy. I had them out as far as I could in the magazine because my loads were max and filled the case and the Barnes bullets are long for their weight and it was compressd to the max, so much I could hear it crunching. Well, it's a little more compressed now but my pressure is fine and a little better accuracy .

Bitterroot Bulls
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I have 50 mm objective's on all my scopes but a few. Probably 7 at least. I love them. I like the bigger field of view also besides being brighter.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but this is just a common misconception. FOV is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification, not objective size. In fact many smaller objective optics have wider FOVs than their big-obj. bretheren.

sjsmallfield
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry to be a nitpicker, but this is just a common misconception. FOV is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification, not objective size. In fact many smaller objective optics have wider FOVs than their big-obj. bretheren.

BB you are the optics master. :cool:

sjsmallfield
08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey CC I just realized that i didn' t send you that brass yet. I will try to get it out to you asap. Sorry!!

dying to kill
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
to bitterroot-this is off the subject but are u with bitterroot outfitters? i ask cuz they sent me a calender last year i like it

Colorado Cowboy
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey CC I just realized that i didn' t send you that brass yet. I will try to get it out to you asap. Sorry!!

No problem....I forgot about it too!

Bitterroot Bulls
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
dtk,

Nope, I am not an outfitter or guide.

dying to kill
08-25-2012, 07:28 AM
got cha whats bitter root? a area or somrthing then?

Bitterroot Bulls
08-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Bitterroot is a flower. It is also the name of a National Forest, mountain range, river, and valley in Western MT.

God's country.

Colorado Cowboy
08-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Its also the name of a beautiful valley in SW Montana where my Grandfather was born. My Great Grandmother was from a pioneer family, the Metcalfs who were very prominent in Montana's history. My Dad's cousin was Lee Metcalf, US Senator from Montana. When my wife and I were looking at retirement relocation areas, Stevensville was on my "short list". Unfortunately my wife thought the winters would be too harsh even tho Gramps called it the "banana belt" of Montana.

Probably more than you want to k now!!!

HuntWYODon
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM

BB ,
Don't burst my bubble ! It seems to me I see more area in the 50 compared to say a 40. So with bino's an 8x40 wouldn't have more field of view than an 8x35 ? I know a higher power will give you less field of view .

Bitterroot Bulls
08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
It is the eyepiece that determines field of view, which is why the same spotter body can have a 25-50 wide angle eyepiece and a 20-60 standard eyepiece.

Smaller objective optics have shorter focal lengths, which allow for eyepieces with wider FOVs.

Check out the specs:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-victory-10x42-fl-t-binoculars.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-victory-fl-10x32-binoculars.html

330 ft/1000 yards for the 42mm, and 360 ft/1000 yards for the 32mm.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Its also the name of a beautiful valley in SW Montana where my Grandfather was born. My Great Grandmother was from a pioneer family, the Metcalfs who were very prominent in Montana's history. My Dad's cousin was Lee Metcalf, US Senator from Montana. When my wife and I were looking at retirement relocation areas, Stevensville was on my "short list". Unfortunately my wife thought the winters would be too harsh even tho Gramps called it the "banana belt" of Montana.

Probably more than you want to k now!!!

CC,

That is indeed the valley I live in. I live near Hamilton, MT right in the heart of the Bitterroot. I am also very familiar with Lee Metcalf, a great conservationist. Too bad on your wife's impression of the weather here. It is in fact quite mild by Montana standards, although we get below zero a couple times a year.

Colorado Cowboy
08-25-2012, 11:20 AM
My Great Grandmother Harriet Metcalf is buried in the Stevensville Cemetary, she died of Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever. My grandfather was raised by his Uncle Ray Metcalf while his Dad (my GrGrandfather) worked in the copper mine in Butte. It is truely a beautiful place.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
CC,

My great grandfather also mined in Butte.

It seems your family is neck-deep in the history of MT!

RMSF was a real scourge here in the Bitterroot years ago. It is still present, but much less frequent. I wish the ticks were less frequent, though!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mcashell/tickweb.jpg

Colorado Cowboy
08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
In 1941 my Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncle & Aunt spent about a month there during the summer. My Uncle caught it, but after about a month in the hospital, he made it. Nasty stuff.

dying to kill
08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
awsome sounds like a neat place id never heard the name be for

Colorado Cowboy
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Back to the range tomorrow, last session before hunting (I hope). Taking the chrono and am going to work on my 200/300 yd sightins.
I really want to see where it shoots at 100 & 200 with a 300 yd zero. Also want to chrono these loads. I also have some with 117 gr Sierra bt that are the same as the 115 Noslers. Want to compare, shouldn't be much different.

The more I shoot this .257 Wby and learn it's peculiarities, the more I like it! Looks like its going to be about 250 to 300 fps faster than my 25-06 with the same bullet weight. If it will shoot as tight as the 25-06, it will be one hell of a shooter!!!

Colorado Cowboy
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Good session at the range this morning. Just shot at 200 yards, after a couple of shots to settle the gun in after cleaningand acouple of more to get it where I wanted it(1 1/2" high), shot a couple of pretty good groups. Got 5 shots less than 2 ". Also they leave at 3250 fps. Not a real hot load for this gun. Book has loads up 3600, but this loads shoots real fine.

Now all that is left is to shoot a speedster goat in Wyoming next month. Still will also have my reliable old Ruger M77 25-06.