PDA

View Full Version : Side Arm Preference??

NorthT
08-23-2012, 08:45 AM
What do you guys take along with you in back country?

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I've never felt a need to carry one. I have a rifle in my hand.

Colorado Cowboy
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Depends. Here in Colorado I usually don't carry one, don't want to pack the extra weight and frankly really don't think I need one. BUT,last year I went on a wilderness hunt in Wyoming at the edge of Yellowstone NP (real Griz country) and i carried my .44 S & W mag. Outfitter said if I had one carry it, I still needed Bear Spray too, to satisify his & FS rules.

NorthT
08-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I was refering to bowhunters, Id love to have a rifle, if i can get some to tote it for me ha. Im going to central wyoming in Grand tetons. I had heard they get a few griz in that area on occasion. I have a 454 casull but it weight almost 4 lbs.

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I carry a .41 mag :) and I always carry it!! I had to use it last year while elk hunting solo. I got charged by a long horn.... Or this last spring when I went in to get my bear baits out and there was a bear eating at one and he decided to have a stand off with me, it at least makes me feel a little better especially with all our wolves. And one time we had an America's most wanted fugitive in the mountains living as a sheep herder and so you just never know who or what you may run across! I'd rather be prepared. It's worth carrying the little extra weight with to me!

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I was in grizz country once. I carried a .44 mag and bear spray. I didn't think my bowie knife was going to be enough. :)

I wasn't hunting though. Gold prospecting.

Colorado Cowboy
08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I guess If I was a bow hunter, I pay the weight penalty and carry one....a real one too, not a pea shooter. If I need to use it, I want to kill it, not just make it mad!

NorthT
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Hoping the 454 will fill the need ha. Do you think bear spray is better? I know to me a gun would make me feel better.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I'd use the bear spray first.

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I usually carry a can of bear spray also... I've just had bad experiences with it..and I feel a little more bada$$ with my .41! ;)

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
You may feel bad, but I wouldn't count on it to stop a grizzly that's intent on getting you.

I have a friend who put 6 shots from a .44 mag into a grizzly, and it kept coming at him. It was his hunting partner that finally stopped it with a rifle.

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I think if the shot placement was correct it would kill a grizzly. I generally don't hunt in grizzly country. I'm more afraid of the wolves and mountain lions where I hunt.

Colorado Cowboy
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Hoping the 454 will fill the need ha. Do you think bear spray is better? I know to me a gun would make me feel better.

Never had to use either, so I couldn't tell you. I felt safer with both!:p

Chippy Hacky
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
In the areas where I hunt, especially in September (bowhunt) when the Green Leafy stuff is ready to be harvested, I am much more concerned about the two leg animals. By myself, I may or may not carry a pistol but with my daughters, I feel obligated.

September is a great time to get them out in the woods and at their age it is more about the crows/turkeys/does and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with Dad (4 and 7 years old) then shooting something. I am much more tuned into who is “farming” next to the creek than a bear or cougar. That being said, I really like my 1911 with an extra mag and a couple of snake shot in my pocket.

Bear Spray must be great, everything I read about it says it works. Man, I would be ashamed though, of being mauled with an aerosol can in my hand! Better a .45 at slide lock, I would think……

NorthT
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I hope i dont need either ha. Plan for the best, be prepared for the worst.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I think if the shot placement was correct it would kill a grizzly. I generally don't hunt in grizzly country. I'm more afraid of the wolves and mountain lions where I hunt.
I didn't know you had wolves in the Bighorn's , yet...? What do you pack Jen besides a bow ? Or do you pack a sidearm ?
Probably like your first aid kit, nothing :)

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I didn't know you had wolves in the Bighorn's , yet...? What do you pack Jen besides a bow ? Or do you pack a sidearm ?
Probably like your first aid kit, nothing :)

Lol yes there are wolves in the Bighorn's actually. I always carry my .41 in my side arm holster on my pack and then I carry a lot of drinks and food in my pack.. Lol

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I carry a .41 mag :) and I always carry it!! I had to use it last year while elk hunting solo. I got charged by a long horn.... Or this last spring when I went in to get my bear baits out and there was a bear eating at one and he decided to have a stand off with me, it at least makes me feel a little better especially with all our wolves. And one time we had an America's most wanted fugitive in the mountains living as a sheep herder and so you just never know who or what you may run across! I'd rather be prepared. It's worth carrying the little extra weight with to me!
Dang Jen ! I do appologize ! I didn't read your previous post...Good job. I'm glad you pack a sidearm. :) And one with some power too.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
I usually carry a can of bear spray also... I've just had bad experiences with it..and I feel a little more
bada$$ with my .41! ;)

You are one bad azz woman no doubt ! I'm surprised you don't carry a S&W 50 cal. :)

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 01:08 PM
The best thing to have with you is someone else with a gimpy leg who can't run.

mnhunter
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Those who carry-

What do you normally load your sidearm up with? Solids? Cast bullets? Seem to me the wrong ammo would be almost as disasterous as being under-gunned. I would assume you are shooting for a central nervous system hit when facing down a charge, and I can picture a softpoint or HP not breaking enough bone to get to the important stuff. I saw a bear skull taken in northern WI that had a .357 slug lodged in the forhead and healed over.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Few grizzlies are stopped when hit with a rifle while hunting. Most will run off. Imagine trying to stop one in a charge with a handgun? If you could stay calm enough to hit some vitals.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
The best thing to have with you is someone else with a gimpy leg who can't run.

LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better yet ! About the spray, I would worry if the wind is blowing towards me but I know you wouldn't have time anyway but it would be screwed if you got it back in your face and couldn't react to the bear too. I had pepper spray blow in my face while sraying a nieghbor's pit bull on my door step once. The reaction is like somebody slapping you in the face and then intence burning eyes and face. I can see how it can incapacitate you quickly.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better yet ! About the spray, I would worry if the wind is blowing towards me but I know you wouldn't have time anyway but it would be screwed if you got it back in your face and couldn't react to the bear too. I had pepper spray blow in my face while sraying a nieghbor's pit bull on my door step once. The reaction is like somebody slapping you in the face and then intence burning eyes and face. I can see how it can incapacitate you quickly.

That's simple. As the bear charges, you sidestep it and let it run past you. Then you're upwind when it come back at you. :)

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Those who carry-

What do you normally load your sidearm up with? Solids? Cast bullets? Seem to me the wrong ammo would be almost as disasterous as being under-gunned. I would assume you are shooting for a central nervous system hit when facing down a charge, and I can picture a softpoint or HP not breaking enough bone to get to the important stuff. I saw a bear skull taken in northern WI that had a .357 slug lodged in the forhead and healed over.

I would think large caliber heavy grain hard cast solids. I have some 405 gr. hard cast Beartooth bullets (no pun) for my 460 S&W and 454 Casull that I would have in my pistol. But if I was carrying a rifle I wouldn't want to pack those heavy pistols. Maybe my 44 Super Blackhawk or 45 auto like Chippy Happy said. I carried my Glock Md. 21 45 auto a couple years ago when I helped a friend pack out the rest of his deer meat hanging in the tree next day. I didn't take my rifle because I'd already filled my tag and didn't want to carry it along with pack frame. This was in South Fork near Cody and I see grizzlies there often. I felt very under gunned but figured if I got attacked and it got me on the ground, I'd rather have a pistol. You probably won't be able to use a rifle while on the ground but at least I could try to unload 13 rds of 45 auto in him while he's munching on me...We saw no bears that time :)

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
That's simple. As the bear charges, you sidestep it and let it run past you. Then you're upwind when it come back at you. :)
Like a Matador but with bear instead of a bull ? LOL !

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 01:36 PM
LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better.

Hmm.. Wanna come hunting with me?! Hahaha

I sprayed pepper spray in my room when I was younger thinking it was air spray stuff.. It definitely did cover up the smell of my room...

mnhunter
08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
If I was goign to carry an auto, I might take a look at the Glock 20 10mm. More punch than a .45, and higher capacity, but still only half the mustard of a 44 mag.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
I got the answer! When a big grizzly is charging you. Spray yourself with bear spray, because you don't want to see what's about to happen to you.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Hmm.. Wanna come hunting with me?! Hahaha

I sprayed pepper spray in my room when I was younger thinking it was air spray stuff.. It definitely did cover up the smell of my room...

I bet I could out run you girl ! I can out run my son for a short didtance. That's where you might get me, the long haul. I'd probaly just climb a tree near me and let you run and take the griz with you . LOL ! :)
Sprayed your room with pepper spray ? Oh Jen, I hope you go spanked ! ;)

HuskyMusky
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
44mag.

I feel it's quite the ideal for a sidearm between power and size etc...

SW make a super lightweight one...
Taurus tracker is a 5 shot that's pretty lightweight.

also consider a 454 with a 1.5" barrel vs. a 44mag with a 3 or 4" barrel...

I'd really want probably a 3 or 4" barrel regardless.

there's a youtube video of a momma griz charging a raft... I think the gun shot scared her off, I think that's part of it, simply to scare her off, at 10yds or 10 ft etc... sure at 50 or 100yds she'll just look at it you, better than nothing of course...

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I got the answer! When a big grizzly is charging you. Spray yourself with bear spray, because you don't want to see what's about to happen to you.

Dam , that would work ! Then if you could find your weapon of choice on the ground, you could bust a cap in your head to end the pain from the bear having a spicey meal out of you !

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Dam , that would work ! Then if you could find your weapon of choice on the ground, you could bust a cap in your head to end the pain from the bear having a spicey meal out of you !

Good plan.

If you go with Jen.............trip her, and run like hell.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:51 PM
44mag.

I feel it's quite the ideal for a sidearm between power and size etc...

SW make a super lightweight one...
Taurus tracker is a 5 shot that's pretty lightweight.

also consider a 454 with a 1.5" barrel vs. a 44mag with a 3 or 4" barrel...

I'd really want probably a 3 or 4" barrel regardless.

there's a youtube video of a momma griz charging a raft... I think the gun shot scared her off, I think that's part of it, simply to scare her off, at 10yds or 10 ft etc... sure at 50 or 100yds she'll just look at it you, better than nothing of course...
I saw that video. Hairy. Cruising throuh the bears fishin grounds... You are right about a short barrel heavy caliber. I'd have to go buy another with short barrel though :) I've seen the Tracker. Pretty neat but I can't bring myself to buy anything but American guns. No Brazilian for me ! Just the way I am in a few things I buy. I know a guy who has a Taurus 454 Raging Bull. I wasn't impressed. Sure a little cheaper $ but I like my Smith and Ruger's. Off topic I think ? :) Man, a 454 with 1.5 in barrel ! You would only want to shoot it once ! you would be deaf for a day !

Colorado Cowboy
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
If I was goign to carry an auto, I might take a look at the Glock 20 10mm. More punch than a .45, and higher capacity, but still only half the mustard of a 44 mag.

Desert Eagle .50 cal.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Good plan.

I could also shoot her in the leg ??? Then the bear would definitely be accupied with her while I slip out the back door...:)
Nah Jen, I wouldn't do that. I'd stand there and fight the bear like Daniel Boone to protect you. I think... Well, let's what to see what happens... :) I think I'd be more worried about a pack of wolves than a griz. Especially in the Bighorn's. Or a mtn. lion jumping me from behind. You know I'm paranoid about that...Especially in Ca. !

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Desert Eagle .50 cal.
CC,
That be a heavy weapon but if you weren't carrying a rifle would be the ultimate pistol I think !

jenbickel
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Good plan.

Lol hey now! I'll just go with either you or Don.. I'm sure you guys would end up breaking a hip before you could trip me.. Or have a heart attack....

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Lol hey now! I'll just go with either you or Don.. I'm sure you guys would end up breaking a hip before you could trip me.. Or have a heart attack....

LMAO ! Dam kid's anyways ! We may be older but wiser too ! Old age and treachery beats youth everytime. And hey, you know I have a bad left hip already so no fare and not funny ! ;) Come on Old Hunter, don't let her get away with that !

NVBird'n'Big
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
We can't carry while bow hunting in NV, terrible law IMO. Feeling vulnerable in mt. lion country is not a good feeling.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm not worried. Even a grizzly can recognize tender meat when it sees it. They don't want some old tough meat like us.

Old Hunter
08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
We can't carry while bow hunting in NV, terrible law IMO. Feeling vulnerable in mt. lion country is not a good feeling.

In Colorado we can carry a sidearm for protection, but it can't be used to finish off an animal if you're bow or muzzleloader hunting.

You can do it for rifle season though.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not worried. Even a grizzly can recognize tender meat when it sees it. They don't want some old tough meat like us.
OMG ! ROFLMAO ! Man, I have to get off this Forum and get something done ! I still have 2 front loper legs to cut up and some meat to grind ! WTF ?

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 02:20 PM

I hear you. Same here in Ca.. And here the kitties are protected... To some extent...

dito
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Springfield 45 for me. I wouldn't mind a 10mm but I'm not a fan of Glocks.

HuntWYODon
08-23-2012, 09:32 PM
If you ever get a Glock, go on the website Glockstore.com . They sell some great after market parts and Glock factory parts. I think I have them all installed. All reasonably priced and all easially intalled yourself. Gil even has an online video for every part to install. Simple. I started with a 3.5 lb. trigger bar and took of from there. Their shop/range is only 10 mi. from my house. So I don't have to have parts shipped. It can be a candy store for lasor's, lights, etc. so becareful ! I have the night sights and the Glock flashlite on mine. Awesome. Don't need a lasor.

Elkoholic307
08-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I just got a S&W Night Guard 44 mag. I used to carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 but wanted something lighter and with more punch.

BobT
08-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I normally carry a 1911, we have a few black bears and are starting to get a few lions in the area too. Like a previous poster said, I'm more worried about the 2 legged predators, mostly meth cookers around here. Dogs can be a problem at times too. I did have a confrontation with a bear a few years back while scouting for turkeys, I didn't see a cub but am pretty sure there was one around from the way the bear was acting, she (?) was pi$$ed, huffing, snorting, false charges and between me and the truck. I had a shorty 1911 and was pretty confident I could handle things without getting killed, a little talking and the bear departed without any bloodshed on either side, it sure made me wonder though.

Bob