PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Hiker pro vs Katadyn Base camp Gravity??

NorthT
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Whats your take on the two? Any peferences/advantages. Have been using iodine, justing think it may be time for a change for i do not like (pulp) with my water, clean or not.

mnhunter
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a base camp. It works slick at basecamp. Kind of a pain if you want to refill while out during the day. I like being able to fill it up and let it work while I doing something else.

NorthT
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Do you pack it in on 3-5 day bivy hunts?

mnhunter
08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, the bag is a little bulky, but pretty lightweight.

sheephunter
08-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I use the Katadyn Hiker and have been happy with it. I'm always alone so just need to filter enough for myself, but if there were more than maybe 2 in your group I would want somebody else to have a filter along too.

HuntPrep365
08-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I don't want to sidetrack you, but I got the Sawyer and I can't see anything being better. Buy the blue Sawyer bottle ($36), take out the filter and splice it into a Platypus hoser line. Then use it to fill and drink, or use it to gravity flow. Works great.

Kevin Root
08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
https://vimeo.com/16095320#

I have a Katadyn Hiker pro and also I got the Sawyer gravity fed. The last couple of trips I just used the Katadyn Hiker pro, for some quick refills so I have not put the Sawyer gravity bag system though a good test yet. The Sawyer gets real good reviews from what I've read and seen so far for the gravity fed system. Not trying to sidetrack you either North T but perhaps Sawyer might be a good one to look at too.

http://www.sawyer.com/tech-water.html

NorthT
08-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Oh thats fine, thanks for the info. Do you like the sawyer better than pump? just heard the pumps can get hard to pump after a while. I will be with one other buddy hunting, camping close or same location and hunting from spike camp. Just trying to figure out my best option for hiking in, saving space and packabiltity. I plan on taking a bladder in addition to naglene bottle. I will take tabs for back up.