PDA

View Full Version : Casper meat processing

FNG
08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Just felt the need to vent to people. Me and a friend drove into Casper on the 18th to bowhunt lopes. My buddy shot a buck that probably will score 72-73 depending on shrinkage. Anyway we took his meat to dans meat in evansville. The skinner recomended a Exploding taxi guy to us, so we figured Ok well go look. Holly Crap this guys junk was so bad it made me want to laugh when I saw it. I am really P-ed off at that skinner for recommending that fella, went back to him and he said he was paying him to recommend people. Does that piss you guys off or just me...

justinthedoc
08-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Thats why you go look at the work first brother, for that exact reason. Wonder if the owner knows if that guy is recommending that fella, seems like a liability to me but who knows.

brushcreekoutfit
08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Funny I dropped a buck on wednesday and I brought my meat to the same place, and the little troll looking fella hounded the crap out of me to get it mounted and bring to the guy you mentiond. Looked him up on the phone and definatly was like you said, so I have him frozen in the back of the pickup til my buddies done hunting this weekend and I will check some other local guys that I found. Oh, and yes it ticked me off too, am definatley suprised to see some one on here complaining about the same experience, hopefully the meat guy doesnt loose business cause of it.

Colorado Cowboy
08-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I do all my own meat. Many years ago I took a couple of antelope and a deer to a processor in Casper and was really unhappy when I got home with it. I took really particular care with my meat. I always skin and quarter everything to cool it down and trim off any bloody tissue from the bullet. The processor was a little ticked because I had already skinned it as he lost his skinning fee. The meat was terrible...strong and pretty bad. I even found hair in the ground stuff. Pretty obvious I didn't get my own meat back. Last time I had anything done at a place I don't know something about in advance!

BobT
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I called a processor in Casper the other day and asked about just having meat frozen for the ride back home. I'm like you CC, I take very good field care of my meat and am very careful with it. Don't want to get one somebody hauled around in the back of a hot pickup all day. I bring the skulls and capes back home too. Got a pretty fair taxidermist here that will swap a European mount for a good cape. The place I called was Pat's processing, the gent I spoke with said they could handle freezing the meat for me with no problem.

Bob

Fink
08-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I took my antelope to Pats processing last fall, and had him keep our meat in his walk in cooler for 4 days while we checked out the rest of the state. When we got back, he hooked us up with a bunch of dry ice, and cut off the horns for us.. I think the total came to about $75 for 2 coolers full of meat, 2 horns cut off, and probably close to 25 pounds of dry ice. Not bad, considering the premium on cooler space in mid September.

mcseal2
08-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Even around home I like to quarter my game and freeze the quarters, then take them to the locker 3 months after the last deer season closes. That way I'm sure I get my own meat back. After seeing how some people treat their game I wouldn't have it any other way. On trips I use dry ice and big coolers or if I take my Polaris Ranger and trailer I haul a smaller deep freeze on the front of the trailer and use it as a cooler, keeping it plugged in when possible.

Colorado Cowboy
08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
I take a small 5 cu ft freezer with me and a small generator. Usually bone all the meat and freeze it for butchering when I get home.

CJnWY
09-04-2012, 12:21 AM
The butcher I use in Casper debones the critter where it drops, loads it in my pack and carries it to the truck for me:)
The taxi knocks the horns off and sticks them in the flower pot by the front steps, not a great job but cheap!
Lucky for me I've been busted on every stalk so far this year:rolleyes:

justinthedoc
09-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Flower pot of horns huh, yeah i looked at that Exploding fellas (not to mention hes a A-hole) work on my way back from the circus that is now elk hunting. Yeah it is as you described, needs lots more practice or drugs. Funny how few people actually look at there mounts, a taxi here showed me what to look for and everyone of my old mounts are just generic jobs. On one deer the right eye is 1-2 in higher than the left. I process my own meat anymore, to many horror stories, and bad meat. Havent had a bad piece yet doing it myself.

Sawfish
09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I do all my own meat. Many years ago I took a couple of antelope and a deer to a processor in Casper and was really unhappy when I got home with it. I took really particular care with my meat. I always skin and quarter everything to cool it down and trim off any bloody tissue from the bullet. The processor was a little ticked because I had already skinned it as he lost his skinning fee. The meat was terrible...strong and pretty bad. I even found hair in the ground stuff. Pretty obvious I didn't get my own meat back. Last time I had anything done at a place I don't know something about in advance!

I have had the same experience more than once, and have come to the same conclusion as Colorado Cowboy. DIY. Many game processors operate on the communal theory. If they estimate that you brought in 75 pounds of boneless meat, you will get back 75 pounds of boneless meat. Who's meat it might be is anybody's guess. Chances are very slim that you will get back "your" meat, unless you know the processor. One of the better taxidermists in Casper advised me against using some of the processors there for just that reason. I have a couple of the new generation ice chests that will hold ice for an extended period. I use block ice (crushed is useless for long term), and stack my boned bagged meat on the blocks of ice.

When using dry ice for transport, I made a plywood shelf for each ice chest that fits on the inside lip in the ice chests. Cut a few 1.5" holes with a holesaw, sand, and finish with 2-4 coats of polyurethane. After I pack the meat. I put in the shelf, and put dry ice on the shelf (wrapped in newspaper). I have hauled meat from Colorado (850 miles), and Wyoming (1,200) miles using both methods without any meat spoilage, and without having to add any extra dry ice. Sometimes, I do have to drain and add a couple of extra blocks if I am using the "wet" method.

Drhorsepower
09-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I had a great experience with pierce custom meats. They didn't process my meat, hang only, super nice owner and a great little business they have, one thing I really liked was they used a pressure washer to get most of the hair off of the carcass, I thought that was clever

Murdy
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I have had the same experience more than once, and have come to the same conclusion as Colorado Cowboy. DIY. Many game processors operate on the communal theory. If they estimate that you brought in 75 pounds of boneless meat, you will get back 75 pounds of boneless meat. Who's meat it might be is anybody's guess. Chances are very slim that you will get back "your" meat, unless you know the processor.

I worked in the meat industry a few years for small local shops (Wisconsin). We did some venison processing and sausage making. If a guy is just cutting and wrapping an animal, there is really no reason that you shouldn't get your own meat back -- you get a carcass, break it down, and wrap it. It's no harder to keep meat separted than mix it together for cutting and wrapping. The problem comes in when equipment is involved. Commercial meat processing equipment is not made to do small batches. It's too time consuming to do ten 30lb. batches of summer sausage instead of one 300lb. batch. Also, even if you did grind separately, breaking down the equipment and cleaning it in between small batches would take a lot more time. I note CC said he found the hair in ground meat. It could have been his meat, just picked up hair from the equipment after 10 other batches were ground before it (but, as you suspect, a bunch of meat could have got ground together, which is probably more likely -- either way,not very appetizing).

bigshot
09-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I had a great experience with pierce custom meats. They didn't process my meat, hang only, super nice owner and a great little business they have, one thing I really liked was they used a pressure washer to get most of the hair off of the carcass, I thought that was clever

Hey Doc,
JFI, Pierce went out of business and is now called Yellowstone, I asked them about freezing my meat and cutting into quarters, they said sure it will be the same cost as butchering the meat ($75) plus $10 for skinning and $25 for caping. Needless to say I paid $240 after it was all said and done for two goats. It cost so much I decided not to fill my second doe tag. That included twenty lbs of Sausage's (Beer stix and Cheese and Jalapeno, yum yum :)), and dry ice for the trip home. They did do an awesome job of packing and sealing the meat in my ice chest. I'm very happy with the work just a little pricey!!

Drhorsepower
09-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Well that's too bad, the owner was really nice. It sounds like they still do nice work but a little steep on prices.

b_a_n_k_dollarsi
09-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Next time (or anytime) in Casper I would recommend going to Pat's. Just was part of a group that took 3 antelope and a goat there in mid-Sept. Found John to be very accomodating, easy to work with and extremely quick on turning around game before we left town to head back east. If anyone needs more specifics PM me and I can pass it along.

247Buckfever
09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Just got back from my hunt, used Pearce butchering on the west side of town for both our goats and they did a great job. They even stayed 20 mins late one night so i could drop off my goat. I would recommend them.

JH

Drhorsepower
09-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Big shot said pierce went out of business. Interesting.

bigshot
10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Big shot said pierce went out of business. Interesting.

Yep, they are now called Yellowstone.

247Buckfever
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Correct, the sign said "yellowstone," sorry for the confusion. I believe the Pearce family runs it.

bigshot
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Correct, the sign said "yellowstone," sorry for the confusion. I believe the Pearce family runs it.

Yea, its a long story, We BS'd with the owners for a few hours, and they told us the whole story. To sum it up, the Pierce Family sold the business and carried the loan for the new owners. The new owners could not keep up with the payments, so they took the business back, but could not keep the "Pierce" name due to some legality, and changed it to Yellowstone. They are a nice family and do a great job, just would not give me a cut in price, when I asked if they could just hang my meat and freeze the quarters for the trip home. The butchers in Colorado are willing to deal with me more. Guess I could have looked around too, but Yellowstone was on our way back to the hotel from our hunting area, so it just made it more easy to go there. Californians are loaded with money anyway, so it was no big deal, just made my wallet fit easier in my pants....lol.

Drhorsepower
10-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Yea, its a long story, We BS'd with the owners for a few hours, and they told us the whole story. To sum it up, the Pierce Family sold the business and carried the loan for the new owners. The new owners could not keep up with the payments, so they took the business back, but could not keep the "Pierce" name due to some legality, and changed it to Yellowstone. They are a nice family and do a great job, just would not give me a cut in price, when I asked if they could just hang my meat and freeze the quarters for the trip home. The butchers in Colorado are willing to deal with me more. Guess I could have looked around too, but Yellowstone was on our way back to the hotel from our hunting area, so it just made it more easy to go there. Californians are loaded with money anyway, so it was no big deal, just made my wallet fit easier in my pants....lol.

Man that sucks for both parties. The previous owner worked for the new/original owner for a while he said. We did a hang only and it was like pulling teeth! They ended up doing it but didn't want to. I'm sure glad I cut up my own meat after seeing the prices those guys get, I'm sure your ride wasn't as lopsided on the way home (thin wallet) you darn Californians.;)

sjsmallfield
10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
you darn Californians.;)

Easy Dr.. That hurt my po wittle heart! Lol. Not really.

HunterGirl339
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM
HUNTERS BEWARE! Pat's Meat Processing in Casper, WY is horrible! Unfortunately they were recommended by a guide. If you are an out of state hunter do NOT go here to get your meat processed! My dad killed a 220+ pound deer and went here to have it butchered. He took them over 100 lbs of field dressed meat, they gave him 10 lbs back. ONLY 10 POUNDS!!!! He immediately asked them where the rest of the meat was and they claimed they "couldn't find it." THEY STOLE HIS MEAT! They took the best meat (shoulder straps, back straps, hind meat, ect.) and gave him only a few steaks and some ground venison back.

DO NOT go here! They are a rip-off! We are in the process of contacting WY Game & Fish Department and BBB.

My dad had to make the return trip back home so he wasn't able to do anything more in person. Please pass this on so nobody else makes the same mistake as him.

Musket Man
10-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Dam! only 10 pounds of meat. I dont see how they could even nerve the nerve to do that and expect to be paid for it. I have only had game processed a couple times and they did a good job but I have herd plenty of stories where it turned out badly.

Manualman
10-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Why would they take the meat from one deer? If they took 5# from each deer it wouldn't be missed and they would have more deer meat than they could use

shootbrownelk
10-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Dam! only 10 pounds of meat. I dont see how they could even nerve the nerve to do that and expect to be paid for it. I have only had game processed a couple times and they did a good job but I have herd plenty of stories where it turned out badly.

Musket, I know a guy who took in an antelope to Pat's meat processing too, He got LESS than 10 lbs. back. They told him the entire antelope was "Bloodshot"....BullCookies! He shot it once through the ribs with a .243, I saw the goat before he took it in. If they lost the meat, or gave it to some other hunter...who knows. Kind of a shady operation I'd say, after reading some of these stories.
He paid for the processing first, they then brought out his 4 packages of meat. To say he was pissed is an understatement.

Musket Man
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Shady sounds like an understatement to me. Makes ya wonder how they stay in business. I cant see them ever having a repeat customer.

shootbrownelk
10-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Shady sounds like an understatement to me. Makes ya wonder how they stay in business. I cant see them ever having a repeat customer.

Mostly Non-residents who don't draw tags yearly I suppose. I don't know, I do my own butchering like Cowboy.

Don K
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
10 pounds?

I would have told them to pound sand and not paid for the processing.......

I used Valley Meats in Dayton WY for my Elk this year and they where incredible. A member here on Eastman s recommended them and I was very impressed with everything there. Would go back there in a heartbeat.....