PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Taxidermist for Bear Rug in NW Montana

hoshour
08-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Any reccomendations on a good taxidermist in NW Montana to do a bear rug for me next month?

I see prices ranging from $120 to $225 per linear foot. I would like to be near the lower end of that range but I want a quality rug.

They need to in that part of the state or next door in northern ID because it will be just me packing out the bear which could take a while on foot and I have no way to freeze the hide before I get it to them.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

6mm Remington
08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this is north and west enough for you, but both of these guys are terrific and do wonderful work! That I can guarantee.

Custom Birdworks (Dale)
1615 Montana Street
Missoula, MT. 59801
(406) 214-3107

Game Trails Wildlife (Steve)
5348 Florence Carlton Loop Ste 1
Florence, MT.
(406) 273-2210

http://custombirdworks.com/about.html

http://gametrailstaxidermy.com/our-location/

hoshour
08-25-2012, 07:32 AM
I appreciate the recommendations. My best friend does a lot of bird hunting and will appreciate knowing about Custom Bird Works.

Game Trails is the only place I have checked that doesn't do a per-foot charge. Instead, they use brackets of sizes but prices range between $160-$175 per foot. They are about 4 hours from Libby where I am hunting.

Big Bear Taxidermy in Darby specializes in bears and tell me other taxidermists send hides to them. They charge $120/ft and are a 5 hour drive. All Animals Taxidermy in Kalispell charges $145/ft and are under an hour from Libby. He does about 20 bears a year and has many years of experience.

Taxidermists said I have about 8 hours to get the hide to them or in a freezer. So, if I can get the bear packed out fairly quickly I will take the time to run it down to Darby. If it takes me a while or if the weather is hot, I'll use All Animals.

hvfd21walker
08-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Check out World Class Wildlife Studio in Hamilton, MT.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Check out World Class Wildlife Studio in Hamilton, MT.

Ben does great work, but his turn around times can be very long. He is also a very busy outfitter. I believe Big Bear does his tanning as well.