PDA

View Full Version : Scent spray worth added weight?

Iowahunter
08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey guys, curious what you mountain gurus do? Here in IA, our stands are at lost 3/4 of a mile away and on "level" ground compared to the Rockies so I can pack in some Primos Scent Eliminator spray no problem. But next yr in CO, I don't think it's going to be worth the added weight and space used. I've heard about guys standing in campfire smoke for added cover scent....anyone believe in that? Regardless, I still will play the wind but wanted some thoughts on added help

Chippy Hacky
08-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I am skeptical of any "cover" or "elimination" sprays. I think it is kind of a gimmick to separate us from our money. After a couple of days (or much less) I can smell myself! I don't think it matters.

Campfire smoke? I put that in the wives tail column too.

Keeping the wind in your favor is above all the most important thing. Save the weight.

Fink
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd rather take some deodorant than scent sprays, I'm more concerned with being able to live with myself while in my tent/sleeping bag.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't think they really work for an active hunter.

Hunting the wind does work, however.

mnhunter
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I use it hunting whitetails, but I just don't think it can keep up when you are working that hard.

tdub24
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Do like the one "professional" did on TV, smear fresh cow s#*^ on your face and clothes for cover scent!!!! Then let me know how it worked out for you!!

labman
08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I am a avid Whitetail hunter and I agree I have never used the scent eliminator and not had a problem killing lots of deer. Just make sure I have several stand options that give me the wind advantage.

hardstalk
08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I swing both ways on the subject. In the high country i use fresh sage or whatever bush looks juicy. Take my shirt off rub it all over my clothes,hands and stinky spots. But this season while hunting for a cow elk i sprayed down with some cover spray for shits and giggles. I had a spike at 5 yards with the wind at my back before sunup. I dont know if he felt safe because it was dark or my odor didnt bother him. Later that morning a group of does came down the draw and i was stuck in the only tree around for cover. Wind at my back again. They came to 7 yards before picking me apart and blowing out. Maybe the stuff is worth the weight?

Colorado Cowboy
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Find a wallow that the bulls have been using and do a little wallowing yourself. Who knows, might just work!;)

Chippy Hacky
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
If you are new or newer to mountain hunting, focus on diurnal winds and more importantly when the diurnal "shift" takes place. Usually, as a rule of thumb, it begins around 10am in the mountains (a little earlier in the summer and a little latter in the fall and winter months). The valley floor heats up and the wind goes up hill, in the afternoon/evening it reverses. Fronts are going to change this (of course) but you can pretty much set your clock by them on a "normal" day.

This is also important as a buck (especially if he is by himself) will usually bed with his back to the wind facing down hill in the a.m. They trust their nose to cover their 6 and their eyes for their 12 o'clock. The diurnal shift will take place and put the wind at the bucks face and if everything works perfect can allow you to pull a sneak up behind them with the wind in the bucks face while he is looking down hill, giving you the high ground to come down on him. Simple in theory, but the only place it is simple!

I have found the diurnal winds to be pretty constant up into October and even on nice November days.

Old Hunter
08-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Unless you can hold your breath for the whole time you're hunting. You won't ever be scent free.

wapiti66
08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I think covering your scent can help some, mostly in swirling or real light winds, but your only real safe bet is to keep the wind in your face.

Iowahunter
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
We've done the Primos test on some pretty stinky stuff and it actually worked but some of the other brands, still was rank after the spray hit it. But I do agree with it not keeping up while hiking high country. Don't think I'd have room for it anyways even if I did want to bring it. Mainly wondered if the smoke "trick" was a joke......thanks for the input guys.

Lol....and I've been known to try and do some pretty crazy things but I'll probably stay away from rubbin crap on my face! But never know...

Old Hunter
08-28-2012, 05:27 AM
I'll say it again. Your breath will bust you everytime.

Fink
08-28-2012, 06:53 AM
I'll say it again. Your breath will bust you everytime.

What if your breath smells like cow s#$t?

CrimsonArrow
08-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm not totally convinced that scent-elimination sprays really work, but I figure if they cut any amount of scent, they're worth the trouble to pack in. Any time you set-up at a wallow, creek crossing, or other ambush site, it might make the difference when an animal comes in from the 'wrong' way. Chewing on mint gum will also help cover any stinky old hunter breath.

buckbull
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
If you are going to take anything take the wipes that are available. They are much lighter and more packable. Like others mentioned, its more for personal hygiene than to cover your scent. With as many wildfires as there were this year, the smoke trick may work. The thing about cover scents is that you need to pick items that are natural from your surroundings; like someone mentioned above, using sage from the area he is hunting.

Old Hunter
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Chewing on mint gum will also help cover any stinky old hunter breath.

To another human. Not to an elk.

HuntPrep365
08-28-2012, 12:52 PM
As a research assistant who tranquilizes "wild" deer for a living, from 15 yds, I still don't use the stuff. As a fairly ultralight backcountry hunter, the thought of carrying scent spray makes me absolutely want to vomit. It's your choice, but you will NEVER catch me lugging that junk around on a backpacking trip.

jay
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I swing both ways on the subject. In the high country i use fresh sage or whatever bush looks juicy. Take my shirt off rub it all over my clothes,hands and stinky spots. But this season while hunting for a cow elk i sprayed down with some cover spray for shits and giggles. I had a spike at 5 yards with the wind at my back before sunup. I dont know if he felt safe because it was dark or my odor didnt bother him. Later that morning a group of does came down the draw and i was stuck in the only tree around for cover. Wind at my back again. They came to 7 yards before picking me apart and blowing out. Maybe the stuff is worth the weight?

+1 on rubbing branches on you or whatevers available.

jjenness
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Through my experience the scent elimination products work for the first part of a hunt, but as soon as you hit the mountains and start to hike there is not much that is going to keep you "scent free". I think there are things you can do to help mitigate your scent such as the things that the previous posts mentioned. If you are truely wanting to pack something in with you on your hunt I would go with one of the scent powders that you can just mix with water once you get to your destination, so you don't have to pack the weight of the extra H2O with you. Good luck!

Muleys 24/7
08-28-2012, 05:33 PM
No, It's not worth the weight, like others said, play the wind right and thats all you need! Deer can smell right through the spray

Murdy
08-29-2012, 06:07 AM
I agree with Old Hunter that your breath is the main problem, and that's why scent elimination products don't work. I do believe that masking can help a bit though. Mixing your scent with pine, fresh earth, or whatever can be a little help. I read an article about a (not-so-scientific) test in one of the outdoor mags in the last year or so (I think F&S). They pretty much concluded that scent elimination had little effect on a dog's ability to find a human, but masking problems slowed the dog down a bit. I also think masking products are more effective in heavily hunted (or otherwise used by humans) areas where animals are used to smelling humans a bit and if they catch a weak wiff they may mistake it for smelling a human that passed through a while ago. Animals that are not habituated to humans probably react on even minor scent, meaning partial masking useless. (My experience is with whitetails)

Old Hunter
08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Elk have a really good nose. Even a slight whiff, and they're gone. My efforts are to play the wind 100% of the time. If it's swirling? You're busted no matter what you do about your scent.

Scent control is an industry hustle. Just like camo clothing.

HuntPrep365
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Scent control is an industry hustle. Just like camo clothing.

Amen and amen.

Elk Hunter
08-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I have never used anything for odor control unless it gets bad enough I can't stand myself. Actually water and soap every day or every other day will take care of problem and the water temp in the creek doesn't seem to matter at that point. Builds character I think. I also wash my cloths since everything is polyester or nylon and dries fast. To avoid being detected I do what Chippy Hacky does and just watch the wind. When the wind shifts, usually around 10:00 to 10:30, it confuses the elk to. I had a herd almost run over me about that time once, trying to get away from me after they caught my scent. I don't wear camo clothing either. That can work if you don't want to be detected by people, but everything else picks up on movement.

ivorytip
08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
not a fan of the sprays but hunter specialty makes scent waffers that are pretty cool. every smell u can thunk of from skunk, yes skunk to acorns pine and on and on. my fav is the estrus urin. you have a horny bull 45 yards out questioning the smells and he gets a wiff of that estrus.... he will step out and investigate. the waffers come in a small can bout 1" wide and 1' tall, bout 6 waffers in each. they do work as far as helping you blend in the teerain but nothing will rid our horrid human scent.

Old Hunter
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
If I had to smell like a skunk to hunt. I'd go fishing. ;)

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
If I had to smell like a skunk to hunt. I'd go fishing. ;)

Ha,What about elk urine?:D

Old Hunter
08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Almost as bad. I'll just smell like me and hope for the best.

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Oldhunter,I was kidding .....I do the same as you absoulty nothing for sent cover.

tdub24
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Ha,What about elk urine?:D

I know folks don't like my elk honey, but I manage to slip some on them anyways. It may help to convince that hesitant bull to come in. I will say it stinks nearly as bad as a skunk.

Muleys 24/7
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I know folks don't like my elk honey, but I manage to slip some on them anyways. It may help to convince that hesitant bull to come in. I will say it stinks nearly as bad as a skunk.

Honey?:) Even the piss in a spray bottle I can barley stand?? What some people do to close the deal:confused:

tdub24
08-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Lol, its thick so you don't need much. I have only used it once along my boots, but it brought the bull to within 10 yards before he made us out visually.

Old Hunter
08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Oldhunter,I was kidding .....I do the same as you absoulty nothing for sent cover.

Oh, I know you were. I was just going along with it. :)

WYcoyote
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
My belief is that even with scent spray a game animal could probably tell what you had for breakfast a week ago. And when you last filled up with gas.
It's just if it equates what it smells with danger.
I just try to hunt with the wind in my favor.

ivorytip
09-01-2012, 06:42 AM
wind in your face is number one. but dont pass up the urin... haha smells like the residue of shiz and pisses wife off when i get home. haha partly why i do it, it does work though.

Old Hunter
09-01-2012, 08:32 AM
wind in your face is number one. but dont pass up the urin... haha smells like the residue of shiz and pisses wife off when i get home. haha partly why i do it, it does work though.

I'm sure it works to piss off the wife. The rest? Not so much. ;)

ivorytip
09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
works bout as much as there are no elk in colorodo eah;) ha, its worked for me for years.

ivorytip
09-01-2012, 09:51 AM
people give these elk to much credit. horny bulls mostly

Old Hunter
09-01-2012, 11:57 AM
How does it work for you? Other than you smell like crap? :)

Will an elk come to you with the wind at your back?

ivorytip
09-01-2012, 12:29 PM
several times yes they have come to me with wind at my back. these boys have a short breeding time frame and when they are in the mood and they catch that wiff..... nothing will stop them. heck we have even called them back after a bad shot or after they have spoted or winded us but im a firm believer that that estrus scent dominates every other scense they have at that time. but anyway, i got out of work early and headed to the hills with my urin. haha, good luck guys, and old hunter, ill send some skunk waffers ur way.

Old Hunter
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but they're so disappointed to find you instead of some hot looking cow. I can't do that to the old boy. :)

az.mountain runner
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I put skunk spray on a pad on my quiver ,and on my boots, and yes It's hard to find a hunting partner, but when I'm using this I don't worry about the wind I just hunt , and walk up on a lot of game, but takes me days for public appearances though LOL.

Old Hunter
09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
If I was an elk/deer. I'd run from any two legged creature that smelled like a skunk. :)

trkytrack2
09-03-2012, 02:34 AM
My experience with using skunk smell juice .....it's a warning odor and deer avoid it. Fresh earth scent wafers seem to work best but playing the wind is the only sure way to avoid them getting a whiff of you.

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I new a guy that use to us Skunk Piss and he saw whitetaile Bucks all the Time..... People never to get use to riding home with him though....

Murdy
09-14-2012, 05:58 PM
"several times yes they have come to me with wind at my back. these boys have a short breeding time frame and when they are in the mood and they catch that wiff..... nothing will stop them."

I've had that happen a couple times with whitetails (younger bucks though), on heavily pressured public land.

If I remember right, back in the 80's, about all you could buy for cover scents was skunk, fox, and racoon piss, and some very artifical smelling apple stuff.

MRC
11-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Dead down wind makes the scent control product that comes in a little package ( about the size of a emergen-c pack ) take a couple of those with you and also take a empty spray bottle. Carrying less weight on the way up and then when you get to camp you just add water and the packet of scent control and shake. Scent spray is worth the weight if it is done correctly.

Colorado Cowboy
11-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Skunk piss!!!! I was going to suggest Chanel No. 5 as it IS breeding time. The only problem is all you would probably attract is some horny hunter:p

I'm not into scents for hunting, so this post really cracked me up!