PDA

View Full Version : Searching for West

Kevin Root
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
It's so funny how moments in time come and go and all the travels and conversations that take place in life. The quote below has stuck with me almost a year and a half ago. Not sure Mark will remember it or even our brief conversation it but the words did with me and I found them very profound. We are given a gift daily and should cherish and honor all the gifts we are given. Family, wilderness, friendships, all have a huge place in our hearts. Having the sense to honor those needs in an appropriate way (and growing manner) is the gift. I found this 23 minute film and quote to speak volumes to me. I just thought I'd share this here too.

https://vimeo.com/47989207

June 2011
"Kevin Root question to Mark, "Mentally speaking, what one tip would you give to help prepare for hunting in the remote backcountry?"

Mark Seacat "enjoy the moment"... you're really lucky to be out there... so enjoy it, leave the outside world behind, don't worry about the office... but definitely keep your family on your mind... coming home is the most important part!"

BobT
08-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks Kevin, really puts things into perspective doesn't it.

Bob

larrylur
08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
That is exactly what it is all about. Could not have put it into words any better.

Ikeepitcold
08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Well said Kevin. I really enjoyed the film as well.

tommyp
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
right on!!

HuntWYODon
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for sharing Keven.
I finally took the time to watch it. Very good.
I could relate to it some. I took off on a hunting trip to Wy. when my son was barely 3 mon. old.
I took a lot of crap for it from wife and family. Not so much following years. I didn't think at the time as it being selfish.
My wife took the time off work after having our son. I didn't think being gone a week here or there that I was going to miss any of his growing up. Maybe I did ??? He turned out a good son. Been divorced for 16 yrs. and he has lived with me full time for the last 11 yrs. I don't miss much anymore !

Kevin Root
08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
One can only hope one day our children and family understand what we were really searching for out there in the backcountry. Sometimes it's hard to explain or understand myself....but the pull is there.

I thought they did some pretty cool videography on the short film. Dolly work, aerial shots, some time-lapse, and slow motion made for some cool film. There is a lot of awesome beauty that is part of the hunting experience. It was cool seeing them capture it a bit. I was mesmerized watching parts of it. They captured part of that hard to fully explain essence, heart and soul that makes up backcountry hunting.

potsie
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks Kevin great video i really enjoyed it .

HuntWYODon
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Keven,
I liked how they emphasized the changing of the seasons between archery and rifle . I don't think non hunters realize all the experiences a hunter goes though AND with his or her family . I think most just think you go out in the woods and shoot the first deer,elk ,etc. you see and done deal. They don't know the feelings, sites,smells, sounds, experiences a hunter has. I've been lucky enough to convert a wife and two girlfriends to the whole thing and one actually shot a buck deer in Wy. 2002 and was hooked. She got married a few yrs ago and moved to Mt. But her husband doesn't hunt. She sends me pictures a big bucks in her yard and around town and gets excited about them. She knows the feeling still . My last girlfriend had no interest in killing anything but I intoduced her to hunting and she was hooked on the whole thing and loved to glass for deer and was good at it. She still always wants to go sometimes and always asks about my hunts. My ex wife liked everything about it but the kill. She wasn't against it , just didn't want to watch kill or taking care of kill. All 3 knew nothing about hunting before they met me. I feel good that at least I converted 3 woman . I remember taking my wife and son when he was 6 mon. old with me on an archery deer hunt on the Kiabab Plateau Az. .Had a tiny camp trailer. Sept. is a great time to be in the mtns.. Let a non hunter hear an elk bugle... Nothing else like it...;) (not on Kiabab) Thanks again for sharing Keven. I sent it to about ten people. Half non hunters ;)

Brady
09-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I wish I was cool enough to make a film that good. It was produced and edited extremely well.

Muleys 24/7
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Cool video that most of us can relate too:cool:

JMSZ
06-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Kevin, thank you for posting this video. I'm watching it again today (the fourt or fifth time) and I have a couple of bands that I'd never heard of before that I like listening to.

25contender
06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
As you get older there are quite a few things that change in your life. There are times we all step back a bit to regroup and think about those things that you feel you have missed. It can be a child,a wife, a aging parent, the lose of a long time hunting partner but we always return to the things that keep us grounded and humbled. For me and almost everyone here it is that voice or memory of being somewhere we feel no one has ever been and relying on yourself. Its not always about getting that Elk or getting that shot. It could be the times you draw on that bull and decide to let him walk not filling that tag. Times like that to me are just as rewarding. What a good video.

RSHusker
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Being a husband, father to 2 kids, a teacher and a football coach pulls me in a lot of different directions. My wife appreciates that I put my family before the others and my passion for hunting and understands my need for open spaces and peace and quiet. It's not easy and that is one of the reasons I enjoy the time I do get afield even more then when I was young and single. My greatest memories now are fishing and camping trips with my kids and seeing things new again through their eyes. My 9 year old daughter has been on several hunts with me and my 5 year old son went on his first duck hunt with me last fall. He was so excited he was shaking when the dog brought the first duck back to us. I will be experiencing Wyoming as a resident for the first time this fall hunting season, even though my commitments won't let me do it as I would like, it is still exciting and being able to find places with my family adds a whole different since of purpose to the process.

tdcour
06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I agree, this is one of the best videos I have seen in a really long time. The story, the videography, the editing... everything. My wife and I are actually expecting our first child the first part of July, so I can definitely see exactly where this guy is coming from. It really gets me excited about hunting and being a dad all at the same time. Great job for sure.

ID_MW
06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
That was rad. Looks the Sitka crew watched Art of Flight. Very cool.

DryFlyGuy
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
If you get a chance, the full draw film tour has several entries this year that I think you would enjoy. Searching for West would fit right in with that film tour. There is a mountain goat film that is fantastic.

Kevin Root
06-13-2013, 09:26 AM
If you get a chance, the full draw film tour has several entries this year that I think you would enjoy. Searching for West would fit right in with that film tour. There is a mountain goat film that is fantastic.

I did see a mountain goat trailer titled Into High Country in their Vimeo page that looked pretty nice and a similar feel to it. That is a cool tour has it has some very nice film makers. I also saw Field Editor of Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal, South Cox has an entry, Perseverance. Looks like he put the video footage of when he was hunting mule deer with his wife into a film that I saw a while back.

There is so much that goes along with hunting and this journey called life that we are all on Earth doing together. I find it awesome when folks can put the essence of it all into words and film showing the emotion of it. It's powerful when it all gets dialed in and we can feel that connection.

DryFlyGuy
06-13-2013, 09:48 PM
I did see a mountain goat trailer titled Into High Country in their Vimeo page that looked pretty nice and a similar feel to it. That is a cool tour has it has some very nice film makers. I also saw Field Editor of Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal, South Cox has an entry, Perseverance. Looks like he put the video footage of when he was hunting mule deer with his wife into a film that I saw a while back.

There is so much that goes along with hunting and this journey called life that we are all on Earth doing together. I find it awesome when folks can put the essence of it all into words and film showing the emotion of it. It's powerful when it all gets dialed in and we can feel that connection.

That South Cox film was great. It was at real as it gets. You got to share in the blown stalks, the missed shots, and all of the ebbs & flows of a hunt. I could not have been more impressed with South's character. He embodies a lot of the best traits of a hunter and human.