PDA

View Full Version : Fires in the Bighorns

jenbickel
08-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I know there's a few of you that are coming our hunting here in the next couple of months.. There are two fires right now in the Bighorns. One is 10 miles northwest of buffalo and has been burning since August 14th and has gotten much bigger today from our wind. have haven't been able to do much for it because it is in such steep terrain. There is another one behind twin buttes over in the dry fork area. Approximately right where my camper is... And I'm 200 miles away. It is also getting much bigger.. Feeding off all the dry vegetation and all the campers lol.

canvsbk
08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Living east of the Mississippi we NEVER hear anything about out west fires. This summer I've made it a point to check up on the fires out there and it's amazing how many there are and the scope of it all. At times it has appeared that the entire west was on fire. I can't imagine the back breaking work it must be fighting 'em. Good luck with that camper thing.....

WYrider
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
The Gilead fire (10 miles west of Buffalo) Is a "good fire". I was in the sports lure today in Buffalo. Got talking to some of the guys there. They said that RMEF has been trying to get that area burned for about 4 years now. He said there is so much downed timber that the elk dont even go in there anymore. But yeah, it sure did take off today. went from like 15 acres to 3000 in no time.

I did not know of the other fire in the Dryfork area. Hope they get it contained quick. I left my camper up there this week as well but it know where near the Dryfork.

NoMoreOldNo7
08-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jen, hope you don't lose that new home away from home.

hvfd21walker
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Well Im fighting them here in MT and as of yesterday it got ugly. Looks like im gonna miss opening weekend of archery.

jenbickel
08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks nomoreoldno7!!

Well Im fighting them here in MT and as of yesterday it got ugly. Looks like im gonna miss opening weekend of archery.

I'm sorry you're going to miss opening weekend of archery. We all really appreciate all you do!!! I don't think you guys get thanked nearly enough!!

Packnasty
09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Do you know what units those are in by chance?

jenbickel
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
For deer or elk?