PDA

View Full Version : What do you hunt the most?

HuskyMusky
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Man this place has been boring lately, probably everyone getting ready to hunt!

So do you find yourself hunting 1 or 2 select species even though you've hunted many other varieties or hope to hope other varieties?

Although I hunt whitetails every year and this is what I've hunted the most, when going out west I find that I've hunted elk and antelope more than anything else. I think I've only chased mulies once, although I want to chase these in the near future, perhaps 2013.

Old Hunter
08-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Mostly elk and mule deer.

jenbickel
08-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Elk and mule deer for me also!!!!

Colorado Cowboy
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Mule Deer and Elk in that order. But if it's any hunting, then it's geese. I hunt geese 30 to 40 times a season. Last year I shot about 70 honkers, within 10 miles of my homeplace.

Old Hunter
08-31-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm leaning towards just mule deer, but I want to stay with elk as long as I can. The hunting is fine. It's getting the elk meat out that's the problem.

tdub24
08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Consistently chuckar birds since that is the only guarantee hunt here. Then I would say mule deer cause I at least have the opportunity to apply for them every year. I absolutely love hunting elk, but if you draw and are successful, you have to wait 10 years before you can apply again. If unsuccessful, still have to wait 5 years. I enjoy antelope as well, but once again, if you draw and are successful you have to wait 5 years before you can apply again. If unsuccessful, you can apply right away. I have hunted in other states, but it takes time getting the limited tags and I have only bought over the counter once in Idaho for elk.

Ikeepitcold
08-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Mule deer is my fav to hunt.

llp
08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
for me elk is always the primary animal.
llp

HuntWYODon
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Mule deer, elk . Then anteloppe.

RUTTIN
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I am always hunting elk, but I have a mule deer tag in my pocket in case the opportunity arises.

Doe Nob
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
It has changed throughout the years, been spending a lot of time bowhunting mulies, but have elk fever now. Grocery wise, I think I'd rather hunt elk and antelope, deer are a trophy species only for me now.

BigT
08-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Whitetale here at the house.. but every year we go on an elk hunt. Next year we are going to start putting in for draw hunts. Next year if no draws will hit Co for elk before going to Id for elk. Spring always take a turkey or take my son so he can shoot a turkey.

sjsmallfield
08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
For me it's blacktail, coyotes and turkeys in that order.

Murdy
08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Being a midwesterner, is and probably always will be white tails, but turkeys are taking up more and more of my time lately. Planning on heading to Wyoming for antelope next year (first trip west for hunting), and we're buying points for elk and mulies--hope to make that a regular thing.

xtreme
08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Mule deer and bear out west. Whitetail and bear in the east.

pseshooter300
08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Turkey and deer for me but im from the east

HuskyMusky
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Being a midwesterner, is and probably always will be white tails, but turkeys are taking up more and more of my time lately. Planning on heading to Wyoming for antelope next year (first trip west for hunting), and we're buying points for elk and mulies--hope to make that a regular thing.

If you didn't buy an antelope point this year, I'd pick one up, the difference for a WY antelope with 0 vs 1 pt can be huge!

great 1st DIY west hunt btw!

ivorytip
09-01-2012, 07:32 AM
elk deer and bear. soon to be white tails, been seeing some monsters where i fish at and its time i take advantage.

bigmoose
09-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm a mule deer hunter. Always my first choice. I will hunt elk if I can not get a deer tag (like this year). Oh, I drew a sheep tag once. Fun hunt. There is nothing like a big ol' mule deer buck!

Moose

EdD270
10-19-2012, 05:46 PM
"What do you hunt the most?"

Quail, rabbits, squirrel, grouse.
Elk, and deer, are a few days, once a year thing, while small game goes on for weeks or months, day after day. What fun!

Colorado Cowboy
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Waterfowl..especially Canadian Honkers. I usually shoot between 75 & 100 each season and hunt only a couple of miles from my homeplace. Also usually spend a month (Jan/Feb)or so in Arizona shooting the Cowboy Action Shooting circut and hunting quail.

The post ask what I hunt MOST...not what I liked best. Best is no contest....Mule Deer.

Edelweiss
10-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Pronghorns are my favorite and the animal I have taken the most of.

Elk hunting is wonderful, mule deer are ok, whitetails are boring, roe deer are the my tops favorite of all deer species.

I have hunted aoudad in New Mexico unsuccessfully in the 1990's and ibex unsuccessfully in Turkey in 2000 with local Turks.

if I could afford anything I would do as many sheep and goat hunts as time permits every year. I'd apply for as many pronghorns, and buy as many land owner tags as I can humanly do, and I'd hunt elk and red stags every year.

Red deer are wonderful because of their vocalizations. I have only shot red deer females, as the stag prices were more than I could afford.

Pigs are fun, bears are fun, and predators are fun.

Beyond that nothing else is as interesting.

In God We Trust
10-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Mule Deer hunting is my number one choice, nothing better than an old mature Muley. I am with Doe Nob, nothing beats an elk tag for meat hunting.

jenbickel
10-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Elk and mule deer. They fuel my hunting obsession.

Old Hunter
10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Elk and mule deer. They fuel my hunting obsession.

Did you forget you already answered? :)

BKC
10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Pronghorns are my favorite and the animal I have taken the most of.

Elk hunting is wonderful, mule deer are ok, whitetails are boring, roe deer are the my tops favorite of all deer species.

Whitetail from a tree stand is a little boring if you aren't seeing deer but whitetails in the tall grass or corn and you on your belly crawling to get a shot off is something every hunter should experience.

trkytrack2
10-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd have to have one hell of a massive paying job for me to live in NV and put up with that crap from the G&F.

Edelweiss
10-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Whitetail from a tree stand is a little boring if you aren't seeing deer but whitetails in the tall grass or corn and you on your belly crawling to get a shot off is something every hunter should experience.

NOPE!

STILL BORING!

Done all of those things.

Drhorsepower
10-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I'd have to have one hell of a massive paying job for me to live in NV and put up with that crap from the G&F.

What crap?

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 01:18 AM
I don't think Nevada's problems are the Game and Fish, they just don't have the enviroment to support the number of animals other Western states do.

It's high and dry in Nevada.

jenbickel
10-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Did you forget you already answered? :)

Lol my phone isn't showing my other response! Some days I hate my smart phone :)

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Lol my phone isn't showing my other response! Some days I hate my smart phone :)

Someone kick me in the head if I am that involved in technology.

I'll be Cell phone free for life in 370 days. The only reason I have one now is my job.

BKC
10-21-2012, 05:40 PM

I'll be Cell phone free for life in 370 days. The only reason I have one now is my job.

Does this mean that you will give up internet also. I just marked my calendar for Oct. 31st, 2013 also !!!!! I can't wait

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 06:11 PM
No I like the information exchange, and I understand why people call them crackberries. They are addicting as all get out.

Even so, I still don't agree with a virtual life.

10-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Coyotes are what I hunt the most followed by raccoons. My absolute favorite animal to persue is split between mule deer and bobcats.

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Nice, I like hunting predators, but I like trapping them just as much.

10-22-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm fortunate enough to be able to hunt coyotes 365 days a year. I enjoy trapping all sorts of predators, it can be an extreme challenge at times. Although I have to say that I love hunting with my hounds the most.

Old Hunter
10-22-2012, 10:19 AM

I gave up my cell phone too. I can never get service where I hunt, and that was the reason I got it.

Old Hunter
10-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm fortunate enough to be able to hunt coyotes 365 days a year. I enjoy trapping all sorts of predators, it can be an extreme challenge at times. Although I have to say that I love hunting with my hounds the most.

We can hunt coyotes year around too, but I can only do it so much. I'm a still hunter, and I like to keep moving. I have never got that to work for coyotes, and I have to sit and call them in. It drives me nuts to sit in one spot.

trkytrack2
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
What crap?

Have to wait 10 yrs. if you kill an elk to re-apply; wait 5 yrs. if you draw but don't kill. Antelope....draw and kill...wait 5 yrs. to re-apply. That's is pure crap.

trkytrack2
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't think Nevada's problems are the Game and Fish, they just don't have the enviroment to support the number of animals other Western states do.

It's high and dry in Nevada.
I don't buy that theory. May be high and dry but limiting resident opportunities just plain sucks. Initiating sound water projects would help with the high and dry which I'm sure they do but apparently there's more they could do to increase water for wildlife.

sjsmallfield
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
How did this thread get headed in this direction?

Why don't you guys start a new thread?

jenbickel
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM

I don't make snarky comments about your choices so I would appreciate of you didn't on mine. Most days my cell phone is the only way I can get on Internet and with all the traveling I do with my two kids its nice to have a way to get in touch with someone if I run into problems.

Edelweiss
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I am sorry, but that was not my intent.

No snark was intended.

Just social commentary on how much I hate the fact that we are all tied to digital media.

Please accept my appology.